Honored Contributor

Is anyone else watching ? Very inspiring !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Watching off and on, my brother has run the race many times, we met him on the Queens side of the 59th Street bridge, he has run 15 times since he was 21, he is now in his mid 50's.

I also volunteered in the store they set up at registration and on the race course, many years ago.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I find marathons boring.  I see nothing inspiring about running to exhaustion.  To each its own.

bored-expression-smiley-emoticon.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I find marathons boring.  I see nothing inspiring about running to exhaustion.  To each its own.

What inspires me is setting a goal and reaching it, like you said to each his own.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I look at the marathon coverage on TV a little.  Am watching channel 7 ABC right now.

While these events and parades are memorable and make the news, they are a misery for local residents who have to make adjustments in their lives to accommodate closed streets, highways and bridges.  

Respected Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

I look at the marathon coverage on TV a little.  Am watching channel 7 ABC right now.

While these events and parades are memorable and make the news, they are a misery for local residents who have to make adjustments in their lives to accommodate closed streets, highways and bridges.  

I tend to think you are exaggerating a bit. I live here and while it might be a bit inconvenient for a couple of hours, it is far from a misery. If I have to go over the bridge, I just make my plans a little later in the day. What I do find annoying is the amount of litter that is left on the route from water bottles etc.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I'm not watching, but do find it inspirational.  You don't get up one morning and say hum I think I'm going to run a marathon today.  A lot of hard work and dedication goes into it.

Respected Contributor

I'm so proud to see an American win the Womans section. Not an African like so many year so. She was amazing!

Honored Contributor

Shalane Flanagan is originally from Marblehead in Massachusetts. Nothing wrong with African people winning marathons here. They work hard, they train hard, they deserve it. 

Anyone know how Meb did, I believe it was his last marathon. I'll never forget when he won Boston. Marathons will always be tinged with sadness for me because of those bombings. But I admire all the runners so much.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Actually, people like me, not an elite athlete, have finished marathons, and not "run to exhaustion".  Training prepares us to run long distances.  

The elite marathoners usually look very energetic at the finish line.  They're amazing....don't see anything boring about this at all!