Honored Contributor

Re: NFL Wildcard Round of the Playoffs!!!

[ Edited ]

@LonestarBabs wrote:

@Spurt  Yep, stunned is a good word. Gobsmacked is another. Well, today the Chiefs headrest covers come off my car, the Dooney & Bourke KC Chiefs shopper goes back into the closet, and I wait for next season. As a Chiefs fan always does...

Lots of articles written today about the game and season. I'm not going to read them if I can help it. Kelce's injury may have taken the wind out of their sails but they needed a sturdier ship to weather those type of storms. Rally and go forward, but mentally they weren't tough enough.

@LonestarBabs

I always liked the Chiefs and their fans....we went to see a game in Houston (closest NFL team to us when we want to go to an NFL game--and we do like JJ Watt, although our city and Houston are rivals on the NBA side..) and Houston played the Chiefs, we had seats next to a nice group of Chiefs fans who came from KC to see their team.....I told them I was a fan from the "other tribe" the Redskins, and we cheered along with them for the Chiefs to win....Good time!  

It will be interesting to see what changes the Chiefs make in the offseason...........Good Luck!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Very few analysts picked Tennessee to win; the outcome was a surprise. KC seemed to give up after Kelce's injury. I hope that it's not too serious.  Now how many are going to pick Tennesse and Jacksonville for the Championship round? I don't see it happening, but the playoffs are a whole different situation. Maybe Tennessee can beat NE; Miami did it with Cutler, so why couldn't the Titans do it with Mariota? 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The Patriots have a hard time with scrambling quarterbacks, so the Titans have a shot. It's not a good shot, but Mariota could cause them some trouble.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Panthers almost pulled that second game out yesterday. They're going to be in a bit of trouble with the league for how they handled Cam Newton after that big hit late in the game though. That really should have been handled under the concussion protocol and it didn't look like they did a very thorough test of him. I believe they're required to take him into the locker room for a thorough evaluation after a hit like that and they didn't. That's likely to cost them a pretty big fine and maybe more.

So we now know the next round of the playoffs. The Eagles will face the Falcons first on Saturday, followed by the Titans at the Patriots. Then on Sunday we'll get the Jaguars at the Steelers, followed by the Saints at the Vikings. 

Kind of an interesting year for Sean Payton. He's an unrestricted free agent when this season ends. The Saints haven't signed him to an extension, and they tried to trade him last off season. With lots of openings still unfilled around the league, he might just market himself to a few other teams to see what he can garner in the way of a new contract. He's been the highest paid coach in the NFL until Gruden signed with the Raiders, and he might become the highest paid head coach again. The Colts showed interest in trading for him last year. This year they could get him without a trade. The Giants might have an interest in him also. Things could be getting kind of interestng around him. He's certainly not hurting his market value with how the Saints are performing in the playoffs.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I was surprised to read that the Eagles are a two point underdog.

Maybe because Weintz is out?

Being the underdog can only add fuel to the Eagles fire.

Congrat to the Saints, Titans, Jags and Falcon fans.

Esteemed Contributor

The analysts don't give the Eagles much of a chance because of Wentz being out. They don't think that Foles will be able to match up against Ryan. Also, Atlanta seems to be on mission to undo last year's Superbowl loss. This might give the Eagles more incentive to win, though. 

Also, does homefield advantage really mean that much? It didn't seem to matter to Kansas City or to LA. Maybe it depends on the stadium, and the teams involved. 

I'll miss most of the Jags-Steelers game because of work, but will be home to see the others. I'm looking forward to seeing NO and Minn, and if Minn. can stop Kamara and Ingram. I would like to see the Vikings win that game and go to the Championship Round. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

the only home game the Eagles lost this year was to Dallas when we had our second and third steamers playing, and we only lost 6-0 to their starters, so home field helps us.

Nick didn't look good the last two games, but the very, very limited practice footage we've been seeing has looked good. He's making a sound drop and firing the ball on time and on rhythm. Hopefully that translates into the game on Saturday. Word is the Eagles held back on the game-planning the last two games to limit what our playoff opponents would see.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is the first time in NFL history that a #1 seed has been declared the underdog in the Divisional Round of playoffs.

But I think it might just be what the Eagles needed! It made me a bit angry, lol, so I hope it will spur them on to prove the prognosticators wrong!!!Woman Wink

Think how not only Foles, but every other Eagle player feels! Yes, of course, Carson Wentz was superb this year. But part of the reason he was superb and so much improved over last season was the acquisition of lots of new offensive talent that surrounded him! And until the very end of the year, the defense was very good too. And remember Wentz had two off games...losing to KC in week two and later to Seattle.

Foles was praised during the end of the Rams game after Wentz got hurt for making several clutch throws. The next week he threw four TD passes and again was given high marks. Now the next two games were another story....he looked dreadful....but in the Oakland game it was bitterly cold and Derek Carr did not look great, either. And in the Dallas game Foles played in just four series.

So my point is that Foles has real talent as was shown here in the 2013 season where his numbers were phenomenal. In fact there was a side-by-side  comparison done of Wentz' first 27 games compared to those of Foles and Foles actually had slightly better overall numbers! And in his first two outings this season Foles looked like that 2013 Foles.

And there is a ton of other talent in both the offense and defense.

I know I am  probably sounding like "the woman doth protest too much, methinks"...but... I think there is lots of talent with the Eagles. Do I wish Carson Wentz were playing...absolutely. It was so sad for him personally to have his MVP season cut short. And it was sad for the team and the fans.

But to make the Eagles underdogs in this Atlanta game just rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe even odds...but not underdogs playing at home!!Woman Wink I honestly think they have a 50/50 shot at winning. If the 2013 Foles shows up that we saw in his first two games ...along with the stellar defense from earlier this season ... then I think the Eagles will win quite handily. But if the other Foles from the last two games pairs up with the lackluster defense of late, then Atlanta will easily win. Let's hope it is the former!! Woman Happy