Honored Contributor

Re: NFL Wild Card Weekend Games 2019!!!

@sunshine45 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

Some interesting news out of the Giants' offices. Dave Gettleman, their GM isn't committed to Eli Manning returning next year. Pat Shurmur (their head coach) was all positive about Eli returning, but Gettleman is saying he wants time to study the film first, before making a decision. What he'll see is the streaky Eli we've seen in recent years. Eli will play well for five, six games in a row, but play pretty average (at best) the rest of the time. Those hot streaks have kept him in the league, but they aren't enough to make the team good. Some years he'll start off hot, then fade. Other years he'll finish up hot to save his job. This year was one of those finish hot years. It may not have been enough to save his job this time around though. We'll have to see what Gettleman decides.

maybe, just maybe they are going to be eyeing flacco?

It could be. I would think he'd want a gunslinger style QB with OBJ, Engram and the rest of the receivers the Giants have. Flacco would be one option. A guy like Aaron Rodgers could be another if the Packers decide to move on. (They'd really be testing the loyalty of their fanbase by moving on, but the Niners moved on from Montana, the Pack moved on from Favre, the Jets moved on from Namath, so who knows?) Maybe Derek Carr? He's still young enough to build around and who knows what the Raiders are planning. They could even gamble on a guy like Jameis Winston if the Bucs decide to move him.

It's kind of a weird situation where the head coach says, "Eli is our guy for the coming season and moving forward several years," only to have the GM come back and say, "Yeah, maybe not. We'll have to see." Those are two guys (the head coach and GM) you want on the same page. Especially when it comes to who your starting QB will be. It doesn't sound like they are right now.

Eli's not a horrible quarterback and pretty much every year he puts together a string of five or six games where you think, "Hey, this guy's playing really well." Then he reverts back to his baseline level where he's a middle of the road, maybe bottom third quarterback again.

It's not hard to say the Giants have the fourth best starting QB in the NFC East right now (assuming Alex Smith comes back to the Redskins.) You could make a pretty good case for Nick Foles being better than Eli also, so he could rank fifth in the NFC East. If Colt McCoy was healthy and playing up to speed, Eli could drop to sixth.

Gettleman knows enough to look past the "good" Eli when he's on a roll and evaluate him as a whole. When Eli is in a groove, he's a top ten quarterback in the league. But he only plays at that level for five or six games a year. The rest of the time he's a bottom ten quarterback in the league. Can you get him to play at a high level for all sixteen games? Apparently not. Eli is streaky. When he's on a roll, he's very, very good. When he's not, he's below average. A more consistent quarterback who doesn't have Eli's peaks and valleys may be what Gettleman is looking for. I'm pretty sure if he could keep Eli in the "good" place all the time, he'd be more than happy with Eli. But, Eli is streaky and you only get the good Eli for five or six games a year. Which helps explain why the Giants are winning just five or six games a year.

It'll be fun to see how this all works out for the Giants. There aren't a lot of good options in this year's draft. Trading up to get the "sure thing" in Dwayne Haskins from Ohio State is expensive. He may be the first overall pick and moving up from six to one is not cheap and other teams will be looking to do the same. That first overall pick slot will be very, very expensive to buy, but if you truly believe Haskins is "the guy" then no price is too high. Next year's draft has tons of prospects coming out, but who knows where you'll be drafting then? Good Eli coud show up more in 2019 and drop you into the mid-teens in the 2020 draft putting them out of reach. Gettleman's got some tough decisions ahead of him. It'll be interesting to see what he does. (My money says he ultimately decides to ride Eli one more year and hope for the best. What would be the best? Maybe a 1-15 record and the first overall pick in 2020?)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not going to guess what the Giants will do. Nothing would surprise me with them.  SPURT, what does your sister think about the issues with that team? 

TY Hilton has called NRG Stadium his "second home" because he's always done well there. That didn't sit well with Texans' Johnathan Joseph, who has had problems trying to cover him. Joseph said the remark was "for clowns" So he's calling Hilton a clown? LOL

Hilton has been dealing with an ankle injury, but plans to play Saturday. He won't be 100% so he might not have as large an impact this time. We'll see. 

Center Ryan Kelly is ready to play Saturday. That's great news for the Colts as Kelly is one fo the best players. He's been out for several weeks, so it's 'good to have him back. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

After Joseph called Hilton a clown stampede blue posted all the videos Joseph got beat by TY. I don’t expect Joseph to play him as soft tomorrow. Just want the game to be competitive and not a blow out unless it’s by the colts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw

My sister wants the Giants to keep Eli as starting QB(he's her favorite player), and trade Odell (she can't stand him)......

Well supposedly Snyder told Jay Gruden he's the Redskins head coach in 2019...........Here's Gruden's state of the Redskins comments:  When everyone gets back healthy, we have a good nucleus of players, work ethic and talent,” Gruden said. “It starts with the line of scrimmage. We were decimated with one of our strengths on the offensive line and that turned into one of our weaknesses. But I feel optimistic there. The quarterback issues are a little scary, and we have to find more playmakers on offense. But it all starts up front.”

TEGAN---Good to hear your center is ready to play.....And NRG Stadium is not only TY's second home, it's real nice for fans--both for Texan fans and opponent's fans........Ill take it over Jerry World anyday!

@teganslaw @sunshine45

Hey if the Colts/Raven game ends in a tie Tucker and Vinateri should have a "kickoff" to break the tie and determine the winner---should they do the most consecutive kicks or longest kick?

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

I dont care what the Bama Boys said, I sure wouldnt have taken Foster for the reasons you mentioned.........

And O/T---We Spur's fans did our best imitation of Eagle's fans when Kawhi Leonard returned to  his scene of desertion..............Eagle fans wouldve been proud

Image result for nfl eagle fans with boooooooooooooooo sign

Image result for spurs fans with boo sign

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

"...the quarterback issues are a little scary..."

More than a little scary. Alex Smith won't be back until midseason (best case scenario,) and Colt McCoy should be back sooner, but you kind of need quarterbacks for the OTA's and minicamps. Then training camp and the preseason. That's typically when quarterbacks and receivers get their timing down and learn about one another. It's a weak draft relative to quarterbacks, unlike last year where you could grab a Lamar Jackson with the thirty-second pick. The Redskins will need to find a couple of guys, who play similarly to Alex Smith (assuming he eventually comes back as the starter) to handle those duties and one or two will be needed to backup McCoy until Smith comes back. Finding kids who are ready to play a pro style offense isn't easy, but you don't really want to head into next season with a Mark Sanchez as your starter, or primary backup. The Redskins have a very big problem to fix at QB. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

TY Hilton enters NRG Stadium in a clown mask.😂😂

Honored Contributor

That was as good a first half as the Colts could hope to get. The Texans are in big, big trouble. Bill O'Brien could be back on the hot seat if the Texans don't show signs of life. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The defense can't let up just because they're ahead by 21. The Texans might make adjustments to pressure Luck more. So far, everything has gone the Colts' way. 

I checked the Texans message boards, and they want their coaches fired right now. If things don't improve, it could happen. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

first time ever doing a post season fantasy football.

this game isnt helping me much though.

not a fun one to watch if you are not a fan of either team.

do the colts look really good or do the texans look really bad? if the colts look really good i am counting on them next week if they move forward!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein