Honored Contributor

NFL Wild Card Weekend Games 2019!!!

My first time writing 2019. It typically takes me until mid March before I finally get it in my head that it's a new year and stop writing the old date, so for day one, I'm ahead of schedule. On to the games!

We start out this week with the Colts at the Texans on Saturday afternoon. This is pretty much a battle of two styles of quarterback. You have the old style, more or less pocket passer in Andrew Luck, and the new, scrambling, make something happen style in DeShaun Watson. (Luck moves pretty well though, so that's not really a fair comparision, but when he runs it's typically because there's no one to throw the ball to.) This strikes me as being a very tight, closely fought game. That Texans defense is pretty solid and containing both Clowney and JJ Watt is nearly impossible. One or the other is apt to wreak havoc on the opposing quarterback. The Texans offense is also a matchup challenge. If you play man-to-man, you need to spy on Watson or he'll take off running. He might even with a spy trusting his athletic ability to outrun the spy. That pretty much forces a defense to play zone defense and Watson has a strong enough arm to fit the ball into tight zones. Neither team has a lot of playoff experience, but Frank Reich was through the playoffs last year with the Eagles so that gives his staff a slight edge. I'm giving the slightest edge to the Colts in this one, largely due to the momentum they have coming into the game.

The Saturday night game features the Seahawks going to Jerryworld to take on the Cowboys. I just don't see this ending well for the Cowboys. Russell Wilson versus Dak Prescott isn't really a fair fight. The Cowboys need Ezekiel Elliott to take over the game to have a shot at winning. Dak makes too many mistakes and just bone-headed plays to beat Russell Wilson in a quarterback duel. Dak's inaccurate, has bad footwork, and will panic on occasion. He'll make good plays on occasion also, but the bad outweighs the good. I'm taking the Seahawks on the road. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Seahawks in the NFC championship game a few weeks from now. If they get past Dallas then they'd likely go to LA to take on the Rams and that's a game they could win also.

The early game on Sunday is the Chargers at the Ravens. I'm not sure if the West coast team traveling East for an early game jinx still applies in the playoffs, but I'm taking the Ravens. Lamar Jackson is a challenge for opposing defenses and I don't think the kid will be overwhelmed by the playoffs. That Ravens defense is pretty formidable. I think the kid pulls out the win here.

And finally, the late game on Sunday is the Eagles at the Bears. Khalil Mack will match up against Lane Johnson and when they played each other last year, Johnson absolutely stoned him. Lane Johnson, after an early season slump, has played very, very well lately. I don't see that ending this week. With Mack neutralized, and Jason Peters manning the other tackle spot, there shouldn't be a lot of pressure on Foles. If the Bears blitz a linebacker it'll leave Goeddert or Ertz open in the middle. The Eagles offensive weapons are hard to contain and the Groh/Pederson offensive coaching combo seems to have gotten into rhythm lately. I think the Eagles are going to score early and often and force the Bears to try and play catchup, which is not their strongsuit. Expect Alshon Jeffery to have a big day. I've got the Eagles winning this one, despite being the biggest underdog of the week. Expect to see a trick play of two from the Eagles also. Doug likes to open up the playbook in the postseason. That's something he learned from Andy Reid. Andy would have plays they'd pratice every week, but saved them for the postseason to give the opposing team something they couldn't have prepared for. I've got the Eagles winning this one. (If things play out like I think they might, I could see the Eagles going to Seattle for the NFC Championship game. Beating the Saints in New Orleans would be a challenge for the Eagles, but it's doable.)

In other NFL news, it sounds like Antonio Brown may be available if a team is willing to pay the price. Apparently he and Ben Roethlisberger had a big fight and he threw something of a hissy fit and didn't practice. The Steelers are reportedly tiring of his attitude and issues and are willing to move on with Juju Smith Schuster playing so well. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL Wild Card Weekend Games 2019!!!

The Texans haven't been able to stop TY Hilton this year. He had 315 yards in the two games they played. Hilton's ankle was bothering him last weekend, and he still managed 61 yards. Not great, but an OK stat despite being in some pain. Unless the Texans develop a new game plan, expect Hilton to go off on them again. 

DeShaun Watson has been hit often as his O-line doesn't protect him well. That might cause fumbles or interceptions, and if the Colts can take advantage of any miscues it could be the difference in a win or loss. On the other hand, the Colts need to eliminate penalties and mistakes. They had too many against the Titans. 

DeAndre Hopkins is another factor; keep him out of the endzone. 

I checked the Steelers' message boards, and the fans are getting fed up with all the drama. They blame Tomlin for not being more of  leader and controlling the locker room. Many want Brown gone from the team. Steelers' fans are some of the most critical around. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I'm rooting for the Bears, Saints and Chargers.  Hope one of those teams make it to the Super Bowl.

Esteemed Contributor

The Texans and colts are so evenly matched. It’s going to be a close game. The colts have a veteran QB who has been to the playoffs which will help. We will see if Watson has first time playoff nerves. Hilton’s ankle really looked bad last week so I am not sure he will be able to go off on them like he usually does. But apparently after the titans game he was very excited for this game. Tyquan Lewis got injured Sunday still no word if he will be able to play or what his injury is.

Honored Contributor

The Broncos will be an interesting team to watch this offseason. Thirty of their fifty-three players have expiring contracts and could be free agents. Even by NFL standards that's potentially a lot of turnover. Fans really won't be able to name the players without a scorecard. I don't remember a team ever having that many free agents in one year. Whoever the new head coach will be will have a chance to nearly completely rebuild immediately. I suspect they'll resign some of those guys before free agency, but that's a lot of roster uncertainty heading into the offseason

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happy New Year Everyone!

@gardenman

Yep it does take awhile to get used to writing the new date!

Colts vs Texans---I think this comes down to a couple of things....the protection Andrew is getting and lack of protection that DeShaun isn't getting, and of course they have Vinateri....So I am giving the Colts the edge.

Seahawks vs Cowboys--Let's see---Dak vs Wilson---Ill take Wilson, Pete Carroll vs Jason "the clapper" Garrett--I'll take Carroll's play calling.  Going with the Seahawks---no surprises from me with this pick Woman LOL

Chargers vs Ravens--good matchup, should be a great game! I think it boils down to Lamar making a rookie mistake sometime in the game....I'm going with the more experienced QB, Rivers and the Chargers.....

Eagles vs Bears---weather won't be a factor.....I like Chicago's D, but I dont trust Trubisky...he makes mistakes at just the wrong time....It will be interesting to see if the Eagles's O line can neutralize Mack.....Will Nick play cautiously with sore ribs?  I just have a feeling the Eagles will prevail and live to move on in the playoffs!

Good Luck!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Antonio Brown is just a diva, you could even see it when he was on DWTS.....now he wants to be traded, and he was also upset the Steeler's players awarded their teammate MVP award to

JuJu instead of him.....Brown is talented but also too full of himself....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

just a little trivia......

When the Ravens take on the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday, Lamar Jackson will become the youngest ever quarterback to start an NFL playoff game.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Some odd names are popping up in the head coaching hunt. Kliff Kingsbury, the former head coach of Texas Tech and now the offensive coordinator at USC is being interviewed by the Jets and Cards. He wasn't wildly successful as a head coach at the college level, but has experience developing young QB's. He'd be an unexpected hire. I'm not sure how either fanbase would feel about his being hired. He'd be good for their young QB's, but I'm not so sure how good a fit he'd be for the other fifty-two players on their rosters.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Antonio Brown is just a diva, you could even see it when he was on DWTS.....now he wants to be traded, and he was also upset the Steeler's players awarded  their teammate MVP award to

JuJu instead of him.....Brown is talented but also too full of himself....

I figured something was up when he wasn't suited up on Sunday. Instead stood on the sideline wearing a mink coat. *eyeroll*

Ben says he has no idea of any big fight.

I guess we will see what Tomln says today.

But by all means, if you aren't happy with the Rooney's or Steelers org...just go. I think we are all tired (in Pittsburgh) of the never ending drama on this team