Honored Contributor

Re: NFL PRE-SUPERBOWL NEWS/NOTES

@Spurt

Yeah, Alex Smith is one of those frustrating QB's like Cutler, Sanchez, and others, who are good, but not good enough. They drive coaches and GM's crazy, as they're too good to let go, but not good enough to win consistently. They show you flashes, tease you, then disappoint.

That reported $70 million in guaranteed money is some pretty serious money.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

If Alex Smith is headed to Washington, where will Cousins end up? It's almost certain that he will not stay with Washington. 

Mayfield might not a bad choice. Maybe he can focus on playing and put all the controversy behind him. It's not even a done deal that the Redskins will draft him; he might go to another team. 

Brady has said that McDaniels is a great coach, that any team would want him. I'm optimistic about McDaniels. I don't expect change immediately, but the future looks bright for the Colts. Luck's strength is back, according to a recent update, and he will be back to throwing. We'll know more in month or so. 

@teganslaw

CONGRATS TEGAN your team seems to be heading in the right direction with McDaniels.....while mine is headed to oblivian and will battle with the Browns for NFL's worst team.............Woman Frustrated

Personally the Redskins shouldve gone with McCoy......and used the cap space on so many other needs,..........

As for Cousins, former Redskin GM Scot M. (Bruce Allen was promoted to Redskin President)....Scot said Kirk Cousin is very maticulous...Kirk has done his homework, each potential team has a color coded notebook with rosters, who his receivers are, who his backs are, who his O-linemen are, who the coach is. Not just the head coach, but the coordinator, position coach, the system they run.  He is very, very intellectual about knowing what’s best for him. He understands he’s getting older, he’s been in the league a little bit. He wants to win. 

Kirk's potential teams are:

Jets-theyve always been cheap-wont put players around him

Cardinals--they are rebuilding

Vikings-they already have 2 options for their QB position

Bills-I dont see Kirk shuffling off to Buffalo

Browns-nothing needs to be said

Jaguars-would they have to get rid of players to make cap room, thereby destroying the team they worked so hard to build...

Broncos Von Miller is pushing for Cousins saying they need Kirk, he wants Kirk,  he would be the one to put them over the edge........

I think his best options would be the Broncos or Vikings.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman

That guaranteed money means nothing to Snyder....why Albert Haynesworth and countless other Redskin free agent busts are living wonderful care free lives thanks to Mr Snyder......And even coaches, Steve Spurrier for one..........

The guaranteed money is usually spread out and it depends how the contract is written and what conditions are in the contract. There are all kinds of "if, ands, and buts" the public doesn't hear about.  The agents like to show the press the big bucks to brag what he has done for his player...

Here's what happened to McNabb......

In McNabb’s Washington contract, reports said it carried “$40 million in guarantees.” That was misleading to the point of a lie. As Adam Schefter later discovered, it included a $25 million guarantee that paid out only if McNabb were to suffer a career-ending injury. An additional $12.5 million was a vested guarantee in the form of an option bonus that was never exercised. The deal was essentially a mirage.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

As to Kirk Cousins, there have been a lot of whispers of the Jets making a big move to land him. I've read that he was their primary off season target. I wouldn't rule out Denver, or even San Fran if Garoppolo's asking price gets too high. I think San Fran just wants to get their guy, and with both Cousins and Garoppolo more or less available, they have options. 

Denver seems to be a likely landing spot for Cousins. It's going to be an interesting off season.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rich Tandler said Cousins had no plans to re-sign with Redskins so the team made a move, one of the key sticking points was Fuller....Browns offered more but not a long term deal for Smith (gee even the Browns knew better hopefully Smiths contract has an out for the Redskins for later years or if the deal doesnt work) 

The consensus of the Redskin fans is that they are more upset over losing Fuller than signing 34 yr old Smith...........

This was my favorite analysis:

Not a single plus aspect to this deal.

Downgrade at QB-even if the stats are about even & he's cheaper--he's 34!!!!

Downgrade at CB

Downgrade in the draft.(we lost our 3rd round pick)

Defense is worse off

Offense is worse off.

More long-term $ committed.

More holes on the roster

Fewer draft picks w/ which to fill roster

BRUCE ALLEN EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR-2018! (SARCASM)

Honored Contributor

@Spurt

It's kind of hard to disagree with that assessment. There aren't a lot of obvious positives. The Chiefs were willing to part with Smith, which tells you a lot. Teams don't generally trade their starting quarterbacks. You would think the Redskins would be hesitant trading with Andy after the McNabb fiasco. We'll have to see how it all plays out, but I'm not optimistic about this trade for the Redskins.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Albert basically said the same thing I did on Smith's 4 yr extension....Two things on Alex Smith’s 4-year extension ... 1) Wait for the actual terms of the true guarantee. That’ll tell us whether the Skins have married Smith or plan to just date him. Which will tell us whether they could still draft a QB. 2) You have to accept this is just what a starting QB costs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@Spurt

It's kind of hard to disagree with that assessment. There aren't a lot of obvious positives. The Chiefs were willing to part with Smith, which tells you a lot. Teams don't generally trade their starting quarterbacks. You would think the Redskins would be hesitant trading with Andy after the McNabb fiasco. We'll have to see how it all plays out, but I'm not optimistic about this trade for the Redskins.

@gardenman

Neither am I optimistic about this trade (if you cant tell)Woman LOL  Like I said I would have preferred McCoy and drafting a QB...........(other than Mayfield that is)........

A point as to way they made the deal is a hard look at the veteran free agent QBs.....(.Jimmy G & Drew Brees were left off the list, most likely re-signed with their current teams.)...........

Teddy Bridgewater (25) 
Case Keenum (30) 
Sam Bradford (30) -oft injured
Josh McCown (39) 
Jay Cutler (34) --No WAY!
Blaine Gabbert (28) 
Matt Moore (33) 
Ryan Fitzpatrick (35) 
Geno Smith (27) 
Tom Savage (27) 

But @gardenman here's something interesting to ponder...Do you think the Eagles will keep BOTH Wentz & Foles next season, or do you think they will try to trade Foles to grab some draft picks or a desired FA???????????  Although the Eagles would have never traded within the Division UNLESS it was tired old QB, or someone whose skills have declined....So Redskins would be out....but what a deal the Eagles could make to a QB hungry team....What do you think?

Honored Contributor

@Spurt

I could see the Eagles trading Foles if the price was right. They really love Nate Sudfeld and could find someone else as the number three. Nick probably deserves to be a starter and he won't beat out Wentz. Nick's career numbers have been very good and in the right system, he could excel. What's the right price though? The Eagles got a first and fourth for Bradford. I'd argue that Nick's worth more than Bradford. Fewer injuries, better stats, more dependable, makes Nick a better value.

Denver could be a good landing place for Nick. The Broncos could include one of their castoff QB's and their first round pick. I don't think the Eagles would trade Nick to a bad organization unless he wanted to go there. Nick's an Arizona guy, so that could be a landing spot also. The Cards would make some sense. We'll have to see what happens.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I just wanted to say that I'm a Patriots fan and saw the clip this morning of Nick Foles talking about his daughter. It was so touching, he seems to be a great guy.

Wish I had been able to see his joint appearance with Tom.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"