Honored Contributor

Re: NFL PRE-SUPERBOWL NEWS/NOTES

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@Spurt

It's starting to sound like the Jets have set their sights on Kirk Cousins. They've got $72 million in cap space and need a QB. They're not a bad team and Cousins could be an asset for them. He'd probably move them ahead of the Dolphins and Bills, and make them more competitive with the Patriots. It's not a bad fit for Cousins. 

@gardenman

It sounds more and more like they will let Cousins go and use that money to sign FAs and re-sign a couple of worthy current Redskins like Zach Brown who is going to attract suitors .........I read one scenario that the Redskins will go with McCoy and draft and groom a young QB...they seemed to be focusing on QBs at the Senior Bowl.............I just dont want it to be Baker Mayfield....he sounds like nothing but trouble on and off the field...........Woman Frustrated

In some games this year when it mattered, Cousins didnt seem to make the difference that he could have....yes he was without Garcon/D Jack and Jordan Reed was injured....but some of his throws to Crowder were way off....and Jay Gruden felt there should have been a better connection with him and Doctson.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Baker Mayfield is a boom or bust kind of guy. He could be very good, or a total bust. His size and maturity are big concerns.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Spurt

Baker Mayfield is a boom or bust kind of guy. He could be very good, or a total bust. His size and maturity are big concerns.

@gardenman

People compare him to Manziel....I think he is more like Ryan Leaf.........talented, but mentally big issues!.............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurtet al.......

was so glad that JTUCK had the chance to showcase his talents OFF the field. he did a wonderful job and it is wonderful that this goes to charity. three ravens got up there in this competition to "show off."

i am hoping that this man is a raven for life.......and has many years to go.

i was pretty darn upset that tucker was NOT chosen for the probowl. he should have been there along with sam koch. it was a glaring omission!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Well, that's interesting. Reports indicate the Chiefs and Redskins have agreed to a trade where Alex Smith would go to Washington for a third round pick and cornerback Kendall Fuller. Smith would get four years added to his contract with $70 million guaranteed. That's a good payday for him, but the Redskins are getting a 34 year old QB they're now committing to for four more years. Nothing can be finalized until the new league year starts in March, but this looks all but certain for now. Interesting.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

Well, that's interesting. Reports indicate the Chiefs and Redskins have agreed to a trade where Alex Smith would go to Washington for a third round pick and cornerback Kendall Fuller. Smith would get four years added to his contract with $70 million guaranteed. That's a good payday for him, but the Redskins are getting a 34 year old QB they're now committing to for four more years. Nothing can be finalized until the new league year starts in March, but this looks all but certain for now. Interesting.

@gardenman

When I woke up a few moments ago and turned on Golic & Wingo I thought I was walking in my sleep when I heard that the Redskins traded a 3rd round and Fuller for Alex Smith as our QB!!!!! (deal to officially be done in March when new NFL year begins)

WHAT IN THE WORLD!!!!!??????????  This is a typical Bruce Allen move ..... I picture whatever Redskin fans are left are on their way right now marching to Redskin Park demanding that Snyder FIRE Bruce Allen!!!!!!  

I thought the Redskins would get whatever QB the Vikings didn't want.....Case or Teddy.......But Alex Smith, I think Gruden is going with ground and pound philosophy and we need to find an every down RB (Thompson is only a 3rd down guy, and Rob just isnt it).....because Alex to me is just a game manager.......

This also means we will be drafting a young QB to groom since Alex is 34 yrs old, as you pointed out.....Gee Bruce is taking a page from his dad's book---rely on defense and special teams, and offense just do enough and dont mess it up.................SHEESH!!!  And I bet anything now Baker Mayfield is headed our way at pick #13 as Mel Kiper predicted.............no hail to the Redskins today....Woman Frustrated #FIREBRUCE!

At least Alex went from one tribe to another.....

Esteemed Contributor

If Alex Smith is headed to Washington, where will Cousins end up? It's almost certain that he will not stay with Washington. 

Mayfield might not a bad choice. Maybe he can focus on playing and put all the controversy behind him. It's not even a done deal that the Redskins will draft him; he might go to another team. 

Brady has said that McDaniels is a great coach, that any team would want him. I'm optimistic about McDaniels. I don't expect change immediately, but the future looks bright for the Colts. Luck's strength is back, according to a recent update, and he will be back to throwing. We'll know more in month or so. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

I don't see the Redskins drafting a kid QB after signing Smith to a four year extension with $70 million guaranteed. Why draft a kid when you've got that much tied up in Smith? I think the Redskins' braintrust thinks they've got their guy. We'll see if they're right. 

At this moment, to my somewhat biased eye, that's precisely one franchise quarterback in the NFL East and it's Wentz. Smith is a well paid, almost good enough quarterback. Dak couldn't elevate his game with Zeke out. Eli is past his prime. Carson Wentz, going into year three looks like the top dog, by a good margin.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@Spurt

I don't see the Redskins drafting a kid QB after signing Smith to a four year extension with $70 million guaranteed. Why draft a kid when you've got that much tied up in Smith? I think the Redskins' braintrust thinks they've got their guy. We'll see if they're right. 

At this moment, to my somewhat biased eye, that's precisely one franchise quarterback in the NFL East and it's Wentz. Smith is a well paid, almost good enough quarterback. Dak couldn't elevate his game with Zeke out. Eli is past his prime. Carson Wentz, going into year three looks like the top dog, by a good margin.

@gardenman

The reason I see the Redskins still drafting a young QB, because of the fact Smith is 34...he's no Tom Brady and even though the contract was for 4 years I doubt he's with the team for the entire time....those contracts can be torn up and renegotiated, the only thing that matters to Smith is the guaranteed part of the contract! 

I can't believe that 6 other teams also wanted Smith!!! Scot M laughed about the Redskins deal and said he never would have included Fuller in the trade...a good young player....Browns and Cardinals were 2 of the 6.......

Oh but they paid less for Alex Smith than they did Ex-Eagle Donovan McNabb........In November 2010, The Eagles traded McNabb to the Redskins. His new deal was completed just days before his 34th birthday, and the widely reported terms—five years, $78 million...............Gee one wonders if they pulled out a copy of this contract and just changed a name and a couple of numbers..........

Honored Contributor

@gardenman

I agree with you about the NFC East and the QB situation....The Eagles Wentz is the best of the bunch......

I have my doubts about the Cowboys Dak....it was all O line and Elliott.............

Eli is up there and who knows probably his last year, they will more than likely draft a QB....or maybe they have a surprise up their sleeve .................

Whats interesting about Smith and this is what they probably looked at his numbers were identical to Cousin's last year....and he was cheaper....but leaving more cap space to fill other holes..........But to me Smith is an average Joe (and I don't mean Montana)....I think the readskins are stuck in the .500 range for wins/losses...........yep 7-9 forever, if we have a real good year 8-8...........