Honored Contributor

NFL PRE-SUPERBOWL NEWS/NOTES

[ Edited ]

It looks like gardenman is still in the hospital (someone also posted a Get Well Gardenman Thread if you want to leave any get well wishes in th TV and MOVIE Category of th Forum)............

So until he returns I thought I'd go ahead and get a thread started to chat since the weekends almost here and for what its worth The Pro-Bowl!......

The Most Valuable Performer where NFL players show off their talent on at 8:00 ET.....one of the performers will be the Ravens Justin Tucker @sunshine45

THURSDAY --PRO BOWLSKILLS SHOWDOWN on ESPN 9PM Eastern Time/ 8PM Central Time.............

The events that will take place on Thursday include dodgeball

There will also be the drone drop, where a drone carries a football high in the air and drops it over the field. Players have to try to catch it, and it’s really not easy.

Then there will be some kind of relay race, and competitions for best hands, a kicking challenge that involves hitting marked targets inside the uprights, and precision passing, which is always competitive.

In the OH NO Department---Browns much hailed OT Joe Thomas was on Mike & Mike he said the Browns should sign Kirk Cousins and they would still have tons of cap space to help draft th best players available.

But the question I would ask is would Kirk Cousins really want to go to the Browns and trust them to rebuild the team????.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL PRE-SUPERBOWL NEWS/NOTES 2018

thanks for getting the thread started @Spurt! i was wondering who would be strting the festivities.

just got home so i have not had a chance to watch any of the pro bowl activities yet. i will try to catch some tomorrow. hope to see some fun activities.

i will be hoping that the game is a good game to watch. not excited about the two teams that are there, but i guess if i have to pick one it will be the eagles. hope it is not a blowout.

are the superbowl teams in minnesota yet?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Justin Tucker won the Most Valuable Performer. His prize was $50,000 going to the charity of his choice. 

I turned on ESPN to watch the Pro Bowl Challenge, but they were showing college basketball. Maybe I had the wrong ESPN, as there is ESPN 2 and others. Anyway, I missed the show, so maybe there will be highlights of it on the NFL website. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: NFL PRE-SUPERBOWL NEWS/NOTES

The Eagles will be flying to Minnesota on Sunday. Their last practice here in Philly is tomorrow.

One interesting stat is that since the 2004 Season Super Bowl (played in early 2005)....the last 13 games...the team wearing the white jerseys has won all but once! So since the last time the Eagles met the Patriots in Super Bowl #39 in early 2005...the only team to win wearing a colored jersey were the Green Bay Packers who wore their green shirts in Super Bowl #45 seven years ago! 

The NFC and AFC alternate each year as to who is considered the "home team." The designated home team gets to decide which color jerseys they will wear. This year the AFC is the home team. The Patriots have decided to wear ....no surprise, lol...their white jerseys even though traditionally white jerseys are worn for "away" games! So the Eagles will be wearing their green shirts! The Patriots in the last 13 Super Bowls have played in five of the games. Of those five, they are 3-0 when wearing their white jerseys...but lost the two games to the Giants when wearing their blue shirts! 

But for the Eagles, wearing their green jerseys this regular season and in the playoffs has been lucky as they lost only one game when wearing green! 

So I am hoping that the Eagles green will prove lucky one more time and that they will be like the Packers in Super Bowl #45 who won wearing their green jerseys! Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw

Hi, 

Justin Tucker has such a beautiful voice! Amazing!

Edited to say that for anyone who missed the MVP show last night, it was on CBS...and I think I heard them say you could go to their CBS site and watch it again...Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

It looks like gardenman is still in the hospital (someone also posted a Get Well Gardenman Thread if you want to leave any get well wishes in th TV and MOVIE Category of th Forum)............

So until he returns I thought I'd go ahead and get a thread started to chat since the weekends almost here and for what its worth The Pro-Bowl!......

The Most Valuable Performer where NFL players show off their talent on at 8:00 ET.....one of the performers will be the Ravens Justin Tucker @sunshine45

THURSDAY --PRO BOWLSKILLS SHOWDOWN on ESPN 9PM Eastern Time/ 8PM Central Time.............

There will also be the drone drop, where a drone carries a football high in the air and drops it over the field. Players have to try to catch it, and it’s really not easy.

Then there will be some kind of relay race, and competitions for best hands, a kicking challenge that involves hitting marked targets inside the uprights, and precision passing, which is always competitive.

In the OH NO Department---Browns much hailed OT Joe Thomas was on Mike & Mike he said the Browns should sign Kirk Cousins and they would still have tons of cap space to help draft th best players available.

But the question I would ask is would Kirk Cousins really want to go to the Browns and trust them to rebuild the team????.....

@Spurt

Thks for starting the thread!

I would think Kirk Cousins would prefer some team other than the Browns. Nothing against Cleveland, but it is going to take some time to build up the Browns into a major contender, imo. Cousins might rather either stay with the Redskins or go someplace that is already playoff ready or right on the cusp! What do you think? Woman Happy

And Justin Tucker has such a powerful voice...was glad he won last night!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Justin Tucker won the Most Valuable Performer. His prize was $50,000 going to the charity of his choice. 

I turned on ESPN to watch the Pro Bowl Challenge, but they were showing college basketball. Maybe I had the wrong ESPN, as there is ESPN 2 and others. Anyway, I missed the show, so maybe there will be highlights of it on the NFL website. 

@teganslaw

The College Basektball game ran about 7 minutes over, after the basketball game concluded it was on right after that. Sorry you missed it. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@Spurt

Thks for starting the thread!

I would think Kirk Cousins would prefer some team other than the Browns. Nothing against Cleveland, but it is going to take some time to build up the Browns into a major contender, imo. Cousins might rather either stay with the Redskins or go someplace that is already playoff ready or right on the cusp! What do you think? Woman Happy

And Justin Tucker has such a powerful voice...was glad he won last night!

@yellowBeetle

Justin Tucker has such a powerful voice was glad he won.  Jonathan Stewart played the piano beautifully.  And Kevin Zeitle's dog did tricks (so cute, the dog was a rescue)....But I think Justin was the right choice...........

DWTS should grab Alex Collins as a contestant since he did so well dancing that Irish jig ...............

If I was Kirk Cousins I would sign with the team I know--(Redskins) or go to a decent team and one with potential....the Browns have had top draft picks and lots of cap space but have failed to produce a winner year after year.....All he needs to do is talk to former Brown QB and current Redskin backup, Colt McCoy, to hear what his experience was...........

Good luck to your Eagles!!!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

thanks for getting the thread started @Spurt! i was wondering who would be strting the festivities.

just got home so i have not had a chance to watch any of the pro bowl activities yet. i will try to catch some tomorrow. hope to see some fun activities.

i will be hoping that the game is a good game to watch. not excited about the two teams that are there, but i guess if i have to pick one it will be the eagles. hope it is not a blowout.

are the superbowl teams in minnesota yet?

@sunshine45

So are you happy Justin Tucker won the Most Valuable Performer?

None of the teams I picked are in the Super Bowl---I must've jinxed them all...LOL!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lots of people love NE...others don't. For the ones who are not fans, many say it is because the Patriots have been so dominant since Super Bowl #36 .On the NFC side there has not been a comparable dominating team since the 2001 season.

I'm hoping that the Eagles can beat the odds next week and win their first Super Bowl!!!

But the overwhelming stats from the last 17 years make it very difficult!!  So thought it would be interesting to give a few details ....

Since Brady and Belichick have had an opportunity to be in a Super Bowl starting with the 2001 season, they have already played 7 times and next week's Super Bowl will be their 8th trip representing the AFC. So out of the last 17 Super Bowls...including the one next week...NE will have been in 47% of the games...8 of 17!!

On the NFC side there has been no one team that has anything close to that record. In the last 17 Super Bowls...again, including next week's game... Seattle has been in 3, New York, Carolina, and Philadelphia have been in 2 each, and 8 other teams have played once.

As to wins since the 2001 season, the AFC has won 10 of the last 16 Super Bowls ... with Brady and NE winning 5 of those 10. The other 5 won by the AFC were from Pittsburgh with 2, and Indianapolis, Baltimore, and Denver with 1 win each.

On the NFC side, they have won 6 of the last 16 Super Bowls. New York won 2, and TB, NO, GB, and Seattle each won 1.

One other thing I thought was interesting was that since Brady and NE came on the scene in the 2001season, only 6 teams have played in Super Bowls on the AFC side. Including next week's game, of the 17 Super Bowls total, NE will have been in 8, Pittsburgh 3, Indianapolis 2, Denver 2, Oakland 1, and Baltimore 1.

On the NFC side, in the last 17 Super Bowls (again including next week) there have been 12 different teams! The breakdown of number of appearances is Seattle 3, NY 2, Carolina 2, Philadelphia 2, St. Louis 1, TB 1, Chicago 1, Arizona 1, NO 1, GB 1, SF 1, and Atlanta 1.

As to QBs who have been in the last 17 Super Bowls...including this year's...here is the breakdown for number of appearances...win or lose.

On the AFC side....Brady 8,  P. Manning 4,  Roethlisberger 3, Gannon 1, and Flacco 1.

On the NFC side....Warner 2,  E. Manning 2,  Wilson 2,  Johnson 1,  Delhomme 1,  McNabb 1,  Hasselbeck 1, Grossman 1,  Brees 1,  Rodgers 1,  Kaepernick 1,  Newton 1,  Ryan 1,  and Foles 1.

So, NE and Brady and Belichick  have dominated the last 17 seasons of football. I take nothing away from them...they have been an amazing force!

But I truly hope that next week the Philadelphia Eagles and Foles and Pederson will be the winners!!!! Go Eagles!!!!!!!