Esteemed Contributor

NFL News for September 2018!

The month starts off with Khalil Mack going to the Bears. The deal isn't complete, but it seems that the Bears are giving up two first round draft picks for him. They will also provide Mack with a huge contract, though terms aren't settled yet.  Chicago is serious about building up their team. 

All the cuts have been made. The Colts released John Simon. That didn't come as a surprise; although Simon is one of the better players, he was injured too  often. He was on the roster bubble for awhile. Safety T.J. Green was also released, and he had been on the bubble for a long time. QB Phillip Walker was cut, but I'm hoping he'll end up on the practice squad. 

The Cowboys released K Dan Bailey. I didn't expect that. He was on the team for a long time.

The Colts traded TE Daniels to Seattle for Marcus Johnson. Gardenman, what to expect from Johnson? He had been with the Eagles and sent to Seattle in the Bennett trade. Is Johnson mostly special teams? 

I read that Foles will start the first game of the season. I guess that Wentz hasn't been cleared yet. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for September 2018!

Marcus Johnson is a fifth wide receiver type of guy. He has flashes where you think he might be special, then he disappears for weeks at a time.

The Cowboys cutting Dan Bailey was a huge surprise. I guess they don't want to score points this year?

The only real surprise among Eagles cuts was Steven Means, a defensive end. He's very good. Whispers out of Philly is that he might resign with the Eagles after week one. He's exempt from waiver claims so he can take a week off then come back to the Eagles when they clear a roster spot for him. If they kept him, his full year of salary would have been guaranteed, so cutting him and resigning him next week makes sense for the Eagles if he doesn't sign elsewhere.

It looks like Foles will start on Thursday, but it could be a fake-out by the Eagles also. We'll see what happens.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I saw that, too, about Foles being the starter next Thursday.

There was a report on a local Philly station yesterday where Wentz' surgeon was interviewed. He was emphasizing how this was not just an ACL tear, but also an LCL tear too. He was not saying definitively at that point whether Wentz was ready, but one could certainly read between the lines that the surgeon thought there was no need to rush Wentz back out there. He said the necessary  recovery time is needed to lessen the chance of a future rupture. So after hearing all of that, I was not too surprised at today's news. Hopefully Wentz will be thoroughly  healed and cleared very soon ... but in the meantime, the Eagles are lucky to have Foles.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

horrible news out of baltimore.

our new backup place kicker kaare vedvik from norway who has looked pretty good in the preseason has been allegedly assaulted  and is now in shock trauma in baltimore. he landed a 56 yard field goal during the last game and is looking good at both punting and kicking positions. he has head and upper body injuries.

ravens have placed him on  reserve non-football injury list right now.

what a horrible way to begin a career in a new city. Smiley Sad

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/ravens-rookie-k-p-kaare-vedvik-suffered-head-injuries-in-off-fi...

yes, ravens are keeping all three quarterbacks. kind of glad we let go breshard perriman......an unproductive first round draft pick from three years ago.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45

That is so dreadful about your Ravens' kicker. Hopefully he is doing better today.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw  @yellowBeetle @gardenman @sunshine45  AND ALL NFL Fans!

WOW-who wouldve thunk it----da Bears of all teams going after Mack???

Well the Redskins made some surprise cuts---they cut QB Kevin Hogan---despite McCoy having a thumb injury.  They have been going with 2 because of needs at other positions.

A surprise at RB is that they cut Bibbs and stayed with second year RB Samaje Perine (Mr. FUMBLES)...

But good news as Bibbs made the practice squad along with...WR Simmie Cobbs, Jr., TE Matt Flanagan, WR Darvin Kidsy, S Kenny Ladler, LB Cassanova McKinzy, OT Timon Parris and DT JoJo Wicker.

Another surprise was keeping promising rookie WR Cam Sims who did some good things in preseason, he beat out Brian Quick. Sims is versatile and can play both outside slots. Of course being from Alabama he learned well from Nick Saban.  

And Mr. Irrelevant WR Trey Quinn made it too. ....so I guess he is Relevant after all..........

Others with a good preseason DT Tim Settle, LB Shaun Dion Hamilton (another rookie from ALabama), S Troy Apke

The Redskins went with 6 CBs and 4 safeties....3 of the corners are rookies....and the team may add a veteran after cuts and they see whats out there..............

And it looks like we were all correct in predicting the Raven keeping all 3 QBs.............

ESPN Redskin Reporter John Kiem is predicting an 8-8 record for the Redskins

Tim McManus is predicting a 11-5 season for the Eagles...

Todd Archer is predicting 9-7 record for the Cowboys, including sweeping my Redskins and splitting with the Eagles and Giants.....

Jordan  Raanan predicted 8-8 for the Giants but I dont see that happening if the Bears get Mack, they released backup qb Webb-a surprise!

Mike Wells predicts an 8-8 season for the Colts including a win over my Redskins....and also a win over the Cowboys and Giants

Jamison Henley predicts a 9-7 record for the Ravens.....

Patriots prediction was 11-5 with back to back loses at start of the season against Texans and Jags

Steelers 11-5 prediction

Lions 7-9 prediction

Packers 11-5 QB Aaron Rodgers can punch a shark in the face he can win football games

Vikings with new QB Capt Kirk are predicted at 10-6

Texans prediction 10-6..............including win over Cowboys...Woman Very Happy

And the Browns 4 big wins are predicted for the season

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45

That is awful what happened to the Raven's kicker....wishing him a speedy recovery!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

So pumped about the Bears signing Mack! Wanted to do a cartwheel but came to my senses and did some furious furniture dusting instead.  Hope he is ready for the game against Green Bay next Sunday night!

Honored Contributor

A lot of teams seem to be over paying players. OBJ, Mack, the Rams' Donald, and maybe even Aaron Rodgers. There's been a lot of money thrown around this year. I'm not sure it's smart money. OBJ gets hurt a lot and the Giants were 0-4 even when he was healthy. He's still got a maturity issue also. More money doesn't generally help cure immaturity. Pass rushers can be double teamed. They can be chipped by a back or tight end to slow them. Aaron Rodgers largely plays with very limited talent around him. It's hard to argue he's not worth the money, but they really should get more talent around him. It'll be interesting to see how those contracts work over the long term.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

So pumped about the Bears signing Mack! Wanted to do a cartwheel but came to my senses and did some furious furniture dusting instead.  Hope he is ready for the game against Green Bay next Sunday night!

@DearPrudence

That should be a great game---Good Luck !