Esteemed Contributor

I didn't see a new thread for May, so thought I'd start one.

The Colts signed former Chiefs RB Spencer Ware to a one year 1.05 million dollar deal. I like the signing. Ware had been pushed to the background because of Kareem Hunt, and new star Derrien Williams. Ware is a veteran RB and should be a big help to the Colts.

Raiders RB Isaiah Crowell, has torn his achilles in practice and is out for the season. That was quick; until practice and conditioning changes, I think that more players will hurt themselves.

SPURT: what is the latest on Derrius Guice's injury? With the Redskins' acquisition of Bryce Love (who says he should be ready for the season), Guice might not be the starting RB.

There has been a lot of news on WR David Sills, known as "the LeBron James of the NFL." He seems like some kind of protege. The Bills recently signed him as an undrafted free agent.  He could eventually make the roster.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for May 2019 !!

I've said it before and I believe it, that many athletes today are too strong. Muscles are now stronger than tendons and ligaments and are literally tearing bodies apart. You're seeing torn Achilles, torn ACL's and similar injuries with no twisting, or obvious cause. Guys are just running and pulling up lame. I think there has to be more emphasis on functional strength rather than just bulk strength. Do you need to bench press four hundred pounds to be a running back? No. Does it help? Not really. I think at some point trainers will determine how much strength a player truly needs and limit their training to that level and not push, or encourage the player to go beyond that level.

Tendons and ligaments don't get stronger. They have a finite strength. Go beyond that and things tend to get broken. We've reached a point where tendons and ligaments are the weak link in the chain.

It's a shame for Isaiah Crowell. He signed a one year deal and that year will now be on IR.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

I didn't see a new thread for May, so thought I'd start one.

The Colts signed former Chiefs RB Spencer Ware to a one year 1.05 million dollar deal. I like the signing. Ware had been pushed to the background because of Kareem Hunt, and new star Derrien Williams. Ware is a veteran RB and should be a big help to the Colts.

Raiders RB Isaiah Crowell, has torn his achilles in practice and is out for the season. That was quick; until practice and conditioning changes, I think that more players will hurt themselves.

SPURT: what is the latest on Derrius Guice's injury? With the Redskins' acquisition of Bryce Love (who says he should be ready for the season), Guice might not be the starting RB.

There has been a lot of news on WR David Sills, known as "the LeBron James of the NFL." He seems like some kind of protege. The Bills recently signed him as an undrafted free agent.  He could eventually make the roster.

@teganslaw 

The media is making a big deal about it, but if everything shakes out and all are healthy and live up to expectations here's the projection...

Currently the team has Guice, Love, Thompson and AP.

Love will be on PUP list for 2019 while he heals from his ACL injury.  In 2019 it will be Guice, AP, Thompson

In 2020------(AP was a stop gap because Guice was hurt-he will be 35 and gone in 2020)

Guice would be the main every down RB, Gruden said Guice is ahead of schedule on recovery

Love would be the third down back, he doesn't have the size to be an every down back

Thompson is currently the best blocker of the backs, his contract comes up in 2020, he's played well, he's a fan favorite.  Projection is Thompson will be replaced by the cheaper Love unless they keep 3 backs....I doubt they will keep 3 backs....unless they're nervous about Guice and Love staying healthy

I follow Guice on Twitter and he was mad as heck that there were reports that said he was upset over the Redskins drafting Love....he said those reports were nothing but media lies....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw  @gardenman 

Sad about Crowell...

Isn't it weird....years before we seldom herd of an ACL or Achilles or similar injuries.  Like @gardenman said has to be over-training or wrong training going on...I'm surprised the NFLPA hasn't demanded a study to find a way to reduce these injuries....

This is so funny---- now the Giant's GM is trying to put the blame on the Redskins and Bruce Allen for the Giants selection of Jones....Gee Gettlemen I thought you "Heartfell in love with Jones Heart"  just claim responsibility, you liked...errrr loved ... Jones and went and got him..... and move on....

Gettlemen claims he knew for a fact  that Denver and the Redskins would have drafted Jones.....Bruce Allen responded 

“We picked the player we wanted to pick. I’m almost positive Dave has no clue what our draft board would be. I don’t know which draft boards he knows, but he doesn’t know ours.”  Gettleman doesn’t know any, unless there was espionage. That’s the biggest flaw in his gratuitous “for a fact” claim. No G.M. knows another team’s draft board unless there has been spying.....(Redskin fans responded that Bruce Allen didn't even know the Redskins draft board...😆😆😆)

So now there's a bit of a feud between the Redskins and Giants...the NFC East rivalry just got more interesting...there was already bad blood over that supposedly uncapped year dispute and Giant's owner, Mara, who had the Redskins fined 36 mill even though legally it WAS an uncapped year.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Gettleman's an idiot. On most teams, two, maybe three people see the actual draft board before the draft. That's done to keep their targets secret until the draft. The GM, a player personnel director (if the team has a separate one) and sometimes the owner, but that's about all. The coaches don't even see the board before the draft. Everyone will provide input to the GM, but he puts the board together.

From what I've heard, the Redskins wanted to trade up to be sure they got Haskins and even looked into moving as high as three to get him. They tried to move up a bit later and failed, then decided Haskins would likely last until their pick. He did. The Giants are convinced that Jones is their QB of the future, but they seem to be about the only team that thinks that way. There's nothing really special about him. If anything he's pretty comparable to Clayton Thorson who the Eagles drafted in the fifth round.

Both are about the same height and weight (Jones 6'-5" and 220 lbs, Thorson 6'-4" 225 lbs.) Jones completion percentage last year was 60.5% while Thorson's was 61.1%. Jones threw for  2,674 yards. Thorson threw for 3,183. Thorson led Northwestern to three bowl wins. Thorson is also a very high character guy and smart. Jones is also a high character guy and smart. Jones went sixth overall and Thorson went 167th. I don't see a big difference between the two. I think the Giants got snookered and don't want to admit it. 

An interesting note on the Cowboys second round pick of Trysten Hill. In college he had poor practice habits and wasn't a big favorite of the coaching staff. Here's what an NFC scout said before the draft. "One thing that pops up is that he's really opinionated about a lot of things. Big talker. He wasn't always fun to coach so you have to keep that in mind if you bring him into your room." He sure sounds like a Cowboy defensive lineman.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

An interesting note on the Cowboys second round pick of Trysten Hill. In college he had poor practice habits and wasn't a big favorite of the coaching staff. Here's what an NFC scout said before the draft. "One thing that pops up is that he's really opinionated about a lot of things. Big talker. He wasn't always fun to coach so you have to keep that in mind if you bring him into your room." He sure sounds like a Cowboy defensive lineman.

@gardenman 

Gettleman yep you nailed it....he IS an idiot...he made a bad decision and trying to avoid taking the blame!!!  Trey Wingo said the same thing as you about the draftboards and "knowing for a fact" who another team was taking was a lie Wingo said....SHEESH!!!  Haskins was the Redskins target and I heard Lock and Grier for later rounds

As far as Trysten Hill---

Poor practice habits 

Not a favorite of the coaching staff

Opinionated

Big talker

Not fun to coach

ROFL....typical Dallas Cowboy 😆😆😆😆 Your so right!!!

This is why I rejected the Cowboys and went for the Redskins as my team.  Glad to see that Jerry Jones the GM is keeping with the "fine Cowboy tradition"😆

Oh there's been a few exceptions....Jason Witten, Moose Johnson, Roger Staubach etc....but then there's the typical Cowboy players---Randy White, Randy Gregory, Michael Irvin, Hollywood Henderson, Charles Haley, Danny White, Zeke Elliott and hundreds of others...LOL!!!  I never liked the Cowboys....my brother chose the Rams, and my sister the Giants....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw 

WR David Sills, known as "the LeBron James of the NFL." He seems like some kind of protege. The Bills recently signed him as an undrafted free agent.  He could eventually make the roster.

Mr. Sills needs a new role model.....King Lebron was dethroned, he couldn't get his Lakers into the playoffs, and the media were saying they'd be the 3rd seed, couldnt even make the last 8th seed....LOL.  My Spurs were the 7th seed...didnt go far bounced out in the first round...but we took the Nuggets to 7 games, we have a bunch of young inexperienced players and no real super stars..a key player missed the entire season due to an injury....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well one of my predictons came to pass...

The Redskins will NOT pick up the 5th yr option on WR Doctson...he was a first round bust....injured his first yr and never showed much...and was also injured on and off too in his short career.. The option would have cost the Redskins 10.162 mill next yr and would have been fully guaranteed for injury.  He will have to play really well to make the roster..

Honored Contributor

There's nothing like no financial security to motivate a player. The Redskins should see everything Doctson's got this year with him now becoming a free agent in 2020. He'll be playing for a new contract and wanting a big one. He's just never flashed. The good news is the Redskins should see him play his absolute best. The bad news is he's their best receiver, and frankly, he's not that good. That's a position where the Redskins will need to invest since they've got a young QB to build around. You want an open receiver for Haskins on every dropback, but right now, there's not likely to be one.

Young QB's, with the exception of a guy like Mayfield, need to see the receiver open before they'll throw the ball. If the guy's not open, they'll hold the ball and that d-line will eat them alive. You really want to surround your kid QB with receivers who will consistently get open so when he drops, sets, there's a guy to throw the ball to. If he's back there patting the ball as he goes to his third and fourth read, play after play, he's going to get killed. His confidence will suffer and he'll stop progressing and start regressing.

Baker Mayfield is an exception to that. He has that innate cockiness and confidence that a receiver can be triple covered and he'll find a window to make the throw. He's the kind of quarterback where as he cocks his arm the OC and head coach are screaming, "No! No! No!" expecting the ball to be picked or batted down, only to see it get completed and then go, "Good throw Baker!" Haskins isn't one of those kind of guys. Favre was probably the last QB we saw like that before Mayfield. Those guys are rare.

The Redskins need to surround Haskins with a great supporting cast. With Guice and Love they've got a couple of quality backs for him to grow with, but they need o-linemen, one or two tight ends, and a fleet of wide receivers. Pretty much ignore the defense for a bit and build an offense around Haskins. The Eagles, Bears and Rams have followed that blueprint and it works. The Eagles continued it this year with the first three picks going on offense and signing DeSean Jackson in free agency and getting Jordan Howard in a trade. Wentz is pretty confident that when he drops back he'll be protected and have one or more receivers open down the field. It makes life a lot easier for a young QB. Haskins needs that to reach his potential. Right now, the Redskins are lacking it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Gettleman "Knew for a fact" that Washington and Denver would have chosen Jones? His crystal ball must have told him that. Or maybe he had spies in the other team's war rooms, in which Goodell should start investigating. Woman LOL

The 2019 draft shattered ratings records. The draft got more viewers than the NBA playoff games! About 600,000 people lined the streets of Nashville to see it. I watched the draft on ESPN and NFL Network, switching between the two channels.

Maybe the title "LeBron James of football" isn't a compliment. LeBron didn't help the Lakers get into the playoffs.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain