Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for May 2019 !!

The Eagles did a Facebook Live video stream from OTA's today that was pretty fun to watch. Stefen Wisniewski, who was playing in the NFL when a lot of the rookies were stll in middle school was kind of neat to watch. He was practicing phantom snaps (no ball, no quarterback) during the drills behind the other offensive linemen when he wasn't involved in the drill. He was checking his hand placement and speed, balance and positioning. It's kind of neat to watch a grizzled old vet still focusing on the basics of the game. 

As to the Eagles d-line depth, we didn't see many of their drills today, but Joe Ostman flashed when he was participating. The dude is big and fast. We mostly saw agility drills today, shoving a blocker out of the way, then racing over pylons and then u-turning and racing back. He looked like a wide receiver running that drill. A 300+ pound wide receiver mind you. (Officially he's listed at 255 lbs, but it's a big 255 lbs. if that's truly what he weighs now. I'd put him more at 300+. Players weight tends to stay unchanged officially from the time they're drafted, but he's a lot bigger now than he was last year.) If he can play like he practiced, he's likely on the roster.

Boston Scott, the little running back we kidnapped off the Saints practice squad is seriously quick. The kid just flashed the little we saw of him. He might just play his way onto the roster also. That kind of speed and quickness can't be coached. You either have it or you don't. He has it.

Back to the d-line drills, in the shoving the blocker aside category, newcomer Malik Jackson didn't do it right the first time and the d-line coach then demonstated the proper technique, nearly decleating the poor assistant coach holding the pad. Jackson then made a second run that looked more impressive.

The quarterbacks all looked pretty good today. Lots of footwork drills, looking downfield while stepping over pylons and the like. Of the four, Cody Kessler seemed the quickest and most sure-footed in the little we saw. Carson and Nate Sudfeld looked about even with Clayton Thorson a bit slower. Not bad though. I don't really know much about Kessler, so he could be a surprise as camp rolls on. (Good or bad.)

Carson Wentz is a pretty safe bet for MVP. You're hard pressed to find a more talented offense. He's got a solid and deep offensive line.Two Pro Bowl caliber tight ends. Alshon Jeffery and DeSean Jackson as wide receivers with Nelson Agholor in the slot and a lot of good guys behind them, should one or more of them drop. The runningbacks are miles better than last year with Jordan Howard, third leading rusher in the league over the last three years behind just Gurley and Elliott, and a lot of talented kids behind him. There's no weak link in this offense. It's crazy solid. As long as Wentz stays healthy, he'd be the favorite to win MVP.

I dont trust that Cowboys receiving corps. Losing Beasley was a mistake in my opinion. Cobb's a year older than Beasley and been injured more. Cooper has never lived up to expectations and has consistently disappointed. Witten's something of a dinosaur. As a general rule guys who come back after being retired for a full season wear down quickly. Who's backing up Witten? Gallup would make sense as a breakout player as someone danged well better be or the Cowboys could be in big trouble. Stop that Cowboy running game on first and second down and then make Dak beat you. That's pretty much what the Cowboys will see every week. If they try to pass on early downs and Dak misses, as he's prone to doing, then you force him into throwing on second and third down and take Elliott out of the game.

The Giants offense will be interesting to watch. They really seem to be only looking at the short range passing game. Part of that is because Eli can't hit the broad side of a barn down the field and part of that seems to be their offensive philosophy. Those three and five yard crossing patterns will likely get one or two of their slot receivers killed this year. Safeties and linebackers will cheat up and drop off their guy to take a shot at a short crossing slot receiver if that's all you've got going on. Here's hoping their slot guys have paid up their life insurance. Eli and the Giants are going to have to prove they can make big throws down the field if they're going to have any success. Of course, to make big throws down the field, he'll need his offensive line to hold up. It'll be fun to see how that all plays out.

About the only offense in the NFL as good as the Eagles look to be might be the Browns. Landry and Beckham give them a dynamic pair of outside threats. Chubb and Johnson are big time running threats and then they've got Kareem Hunt after game eight. Njoku is a good tight end. They've got a decent o-line. Baker Mayfield is the real deal. The Browns promise to be fun to watch in 2019. Who knew that could happen?

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

What's that ....the Eagles "kidnapped" RB Boston Scott from the Saints....I'm reporting this to the Commisioner.....😏

cat-at-phone-picture-id105935540.jpg

Yep, the Browns will certainly be fun to watch....can't wait for the NFL season to start....

Nick Foles is out of OTAS indefinitely for "personal reasons"....no one knows why.....

Oh oh.....

Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Daily reports that, on Tuesday morning, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith sent an email to all agents containing advice they should give to their clients.  “With a possible work stoppage less than two years away, this is the opportune time to set up a structured and organized savings and budgeting plan with your clients,” Smith wrote to the agents, via Mullen. “I can’t stress enough the importance of having our player members in a sound financial situation should a work stoppage occur. We are advising players to plan for a work stoppage of at least a year in length. We are also encouraging all players to save 50% of their salary and bonuses and to save the entirety of their Performance Based Pay amounts they should earn over the next two regular seasons.”

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah, the Saints hid him on their practice squad last year and hoped no one would notice him. The Eagles noticed him. We offered him a deal and the Saints weren't happy about it, but with Kamara, Gillislee, and Ingram ahead of him in New Orleans, he opted to sign in Philly. He came along late in the year, so he didn't know the offense but was used as a kick and punt returner. Reports out of New Orleans at the time we took him said the Saints were very unhappy losing him. The kid averaged 4.8 yards per carry in the preseason last year and looked impressive doing it. The Saints had to cut him when they needed another o-lineman, then snuck him onto their practice squad after he cleared waivers. After the Eagles lost Ajayi and Clement for the year, they went looking around and found the kid. The more they saw him, the more they liked him. Reportedly the Saints offered to up his practice squad salary to match the Eagles offer, but he wanted to get on the field and play. He's like a younger, possibly faster, version of Darren Sproles. He's got good hands and runs around a 4.3 forty at 5'-6" and a tick over 200 lbs. We didn't see him on offense last year, mostly on special teams, but the kid is fast.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

It's early to predict MVP, but if Andrew Luck has the kind of year he had last season, he will be potential candidate. I can see Carson Wentz having an MVP season, also. I have a feeling that Mahomes might regress a bit due to KC's changes, but he could still do well.

Watch the rumors start: Luck hasn't practiced in OTAs yet due to a calf strain. Ballard is taking a conservative stance right now and will concentrate more on training camp. Because of Luck not practicing, fans might think worst case scenarios. Nothing to see here: Luck will be OK and is just resting for awhile. He is working out and exercising. BTW, who calls Luck Andy? As far as I know, Orlovsky is the only one to do so.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

It's early to predict MVP, but if Andrew Luck has the kind of year he had last season, he will be potential candidate. I can see Carson Wentz having an MVP season, also. I have a feeling that Mahomes might regress a bit due to KC's changes, but he could still do well.

Watch the rumors start: Luck hasn't practiced in OTAs yet due to a calf strain. Ballard is taking a conservative stance right now and will concentrate more on training camp. Because of Luck not practicing, fans might think worst case scenarios. Nothing to see here: Luck will be OK and is just resting for awhile. He is working out and exercising. BTW, who calls Luck Andy? As far as I know, Orlovsky is the only one to do so.

@teganslaw 

Orlovsky is the only one that calls Luck "Andy" I guess he's trying to set himself apart from other writers....Just trying to get his name out there.. so maybe that's why Wingo and Golic made fun of Orlovsky.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rookie CB Jimmy Moreland has really been impressive in OTA's he's only 5'10" but if I recall there was a 5'9" CB Redskin that ended up doing quite well....😏  He's been consistent being at the right spot, reads things perfectly--- right time, and getting lots of interceptions...6 so far  Gruden yelled  “WE GOT A MOUSE IN THE HOUSE!”

This is no surprise and it shows how bad Bruce Allen's FA signings are....Rookie Montez Sweat is making mince meat out of former NY Giant bust, Ereck Flowers...Gruden said they are playing him at tackle because there's not much depth there (Trent William not at OTAS)...Gruden said Flowers will be playing guard not tackle .BUT it looks like rookie Wes Martin may be the starter!!! Folks say Sweat will definitely be a starter...

Honored Contributor

Ereck Flowers may not make the final cut, even at guard. For whatever reason, the guy's just not a player. He's got the size you want. He's a decent enough athlete. But, he just can't play football. It happens sometimes. The Giants finally realized what a liability he was and moved on. I don't think it will take the Redskins long to move on also. Do you really want him trying to block a Fletcher Cox or Aaron Donald? Not unless you're carrying ten to twelve quarterbacks on the roster. There's a disconnect between his mind and body. He just isn't a good football player.

Small corners tend to flash a lot in practices. The Eagles have one in Avonte Maddox who just makes plays all the time. Their problem comes when matching up against the 6'-5" receivers who have an accurate QB throwing high balls to them. Guys like an Alshon Jeffery can just shrug them off and go up and get the ball and there's not a lot the DB can do. They'll grab the receiver on the lower shirt or arm to try and prevent him going up for the ball, but without interfering, they're at the mercy of the bigger receivers. Fans and coaches love those little guys, but when push comes to shove, every QB with a big receiver will bully them. Sadly, size truly matters in the NFL. Coaches will ultimately move on and wish the guy was just a few inches taller.

Things have still been going well from an injury standpoint for the Eagles. I hope that keeps up. The local media are impresssed by how good Wentz looks this year. DeSean Jackson is being a very good veteran so far and is even helping coach up some of the kid receivers, taking them aside and giving them advice. We won't know much about the defense until pads go on, but cornerback Rasul Douglas has been singled out by the coaches as looking good along with Hassan Ridgeway who we got from the Colts. Jordan Howard has impressed the local press who say he's clearly the best back on the field. So far, so good for Philly.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman  @teganslaw 

I think you're right about Flowers, I don't think he'll make the roster.....even with the Redskin's injury history....a guy off the street might be better....😒

Hey did you see the NFL GM rankings in USA TODAY?(cant post link due to ads not allowed by the Q, but you can google it)

1. Eagles/Howie

2. Pats/Beli 

3. Colts/Ballards--some said he should be #1

4. Seahawks/Schneider

5. Steelers/Colbert

6. Falcons/Dimitroff

7. Ravens/DeCosta

8. Chargers/Telesco

9. Saints/Loomis

10.Rams/Snead

11. Vikes/Spielman

12. Browns/Dorsey

13. Cowboys/Jones, Jerry & Stephen--really??? 😆😆 

14. Bears/Pace

15. Bengals/Tobin--???????

16. Broncos/Elway--boy he got a pass

17. Titans/Robinson

18. Chiefs/Veach--keep drafting those thugs

19. Dolphins/Grier--SMH

20. Redskins/Allen..Bruce deserves a little better 

21. Lions/Quinn

22. Cards/Keim

23. Biills/Beane

24. Panthers/Hurney

25. Jags/Caldwell

26. Giants/Gettleman 😆

27. 49ers/Lynch

28. Packers/Gutekunst

29. Texans/Gaine

30.  Raiders/Mayock

31.  Bucs/Licht

32.  Jets/Gase

Here's some comments:

Howie--

There isn’t a more creative GM in the league, and that includes Belichick. Howie Roseman always seems to be a step ahead of his competitors. His trades always seem to pay off. His decisions in free agency have improved the roster without killing the team’s cap situation. That the Eagles were able to make a playoff run in 2018 despite their remarkably poor injury luck, which included the loss of the starting quarterback, is a testament to the depth of Philly’s roster. If I owned an NFL franchise and had my pick of general managers, the 43-year-old would be at the top of my list.

Ballard--

Maybe Chris Ballard has us all fooled, but his approach to building the Colts roster has the analytics community’s attention. He has maintained Indianapolis’ cushy cap situation while still managing to build a playoff roster. His acquisition of draft assets, which hasn’t required the Colts to give up premium picks themselves, has been commendable. And Ballard has finally put a competent offense around Andrew Luck, which the previous front office couldn’t do despite Luck being on a rookie contract. Ballard is not just building a Super Bowl contender. This looks like the start of the next dynasty.

Jones--

I’m not sure who deserves the bulk of the credit for building this current Cowboys roster, but I’ll say this: The Dallas front office was not nearly as competent when it was just Jerry running the show. Since Stephen was given more power, the Cowboys have taken a more rational approach to roster construction. Their handling of the Dak Prescott contract could push this duo up into the top-10, or it could push them down near the 20s. (My comment--Stephen saved their rear end on many occasion...Picture Manziel as QB and no Oline)

Bruce--

Bruce Allen needs to fire his PR person. His handling of public matters has been, well, bad. But Allen has overseen some solid drafts and, in hindsight, it appears he handled the Kirk Cousins situation correctly. Following that decision up with the trade for Alex Smith was a mistake, but it appears Washington managed to avoid a disaster at the QB position with the drafting of Dwayne Haskins.(right on point, but some of the GMs ranked a little higher---Dolphins, Broncos, Bengals---I dont get it...)

Honored Contributor

P.S. Anyone think the Eagle's Howie looks like Drew Brees...

Related image

Image result for howie eagles

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

I would put Howie in the top two or three. He's done a very good job. Last year we went through so many cornerbacks (thirteen starters I think?) that some weeks we were starting guys we'd just signed off the street. Kudos to Howie for finding them and kudos to the coaches for getting them ready to play. His cap management is something to behold. We started out this offseason something like $20 million over the cap, we resigned Brandon Graham, brought back Timmy Jernigan, DeSean Jackson and Vinny Curry. Added Malik Jackson and some other guys on defense, traded for Jordan Howard and we're now something like $27 million under the cap. How the heck do you do that? Losing Nick Foles saved $20 million, but still, it's kind of impressive what he can do. Howie's a magician.

Judging a GM or front office can be challenging as a really good coaching staff can help make up for a buffoon in the front office, while a really bad coaching staff can make a brilliant front office/GM look like a dunce. When you've got both good coaches and a good front office, you're likely going to win a lot of games. When both are bad, well, you're in a whole lot of trouble.

Back to Flowers again for a minute. If he can find the right coach and the right mental space to play in, he could be great. He just can't seem to do it. He wants to play left tackle, but he's a turnstile when given the chance. He's one of those wasted potential guys. There's nothing "wrong" with him, he's big enough, strong enough, fast enough, but he just can't perform. He's the kind of guy who drives coaches to drink. You hate to give up on him, but you can't let your quarterback get killed by him. There are a lot of guys like him who enter the league. They used to be described as "looking like Tarzan, playing like Jane" guys. Then you find the guys who have everything wrong, too small, too slow, not strong enough, who just love the game and find a way to overcome their shortcomings and dominate. Chances are Flowers will be beat out by a physically less impressive player who just plays better and loves the game.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!