Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for May 2019 !!

Yeah, the Patriots pretty much get their division gift wrapped and handed to them with a bow each year, due to lesser competition. The Bills are making some progress now, assuming Josh Allen is the right QB.The Jets, well, they're the Jets. The Dolphins were already talking about drafting Josh Rosen's replacement the day after they traded for him.

It must be nice to be the Patriots. Put the Patriots in the AFC North in place of the Bengals and move the Bengals to the AFC East and you'd make both divisions more competitive. Let the Patriots play two games a year against the Ravens, Steelers, and Browns and see how dominant they are. Winning builds confidence in a team and the Pats are largely given seven byes a year, their typical bye and the six games against the AFC East. Make them earn those wins and their confidence may not be quite so high. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Here's how they calculate the AGL.

“For those unfamiliar with AGL, we do not simply add up the number of games missed. We are able to quantify how much teams were affected by injuries based on two principles:

(1) Injuries to starters, injury replacements, and important situational reserves (No. 3 wide receiver, receiving backs, nickel corner, etc.) matter more than injuries to benchwarmers; and

(2) Injured players who do take the field are usually playing with reduced ability, which is why AGL is based not strictly on whether the player is active for the game or not, but instead is based on the player’s game status that week (out, doubtful, questionable or probable/Blank).”

Under their formula the Redskins ranked 24th, which isn't great. The Eagles generally rank pretty well, but had a really bad year with lots of injuries at cornerback. When you're starting your thirteenth corner (and the Eagles typically only carry five or six) it's a more impactful injury. We were signing guys off the street on a Tuesday and playing them against top caliber NFL receivers on Sunday. Sometimes two new corners and even a new safety all at the same time. Making the playoffs was something of a miracle with that kind of stuff happening.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

That makes sense regarding the AGL and their ratings.....but gee we lost both our QBs......and half our squad...Woman Frustrated

That's Danny Boy's silver lining and why no one was fired, he said the Redskins were in the hunt for the playoffs until injuries hit---the team had a 6-3 record......But he's delusional ...team has a lot of holes to fill...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

A lot of it comes down to when you lose starters too. Our corners started dropping very early on. The Redskins quarterbacks fell later in the year.

I'm just happy now with every practice whewhere someone isn't wheeled off, lost for the season.

Have you seen Josh Norman's comments on Dave Gettleman? He loves the moves Gettleman's made in letting Norman leave Carolina for DC. Landon Collins not being tagged and ending up in DC. And then Gettleman drafting Jones instead of Haskins. Josh thinks the Redskins should pay Gettleman for all the help he's given DC over the last few years.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Lots of chatter about Peyton Manning taking over as Jets GM. That could be interesting. It would help explain his lack of interest in the MNF broadcast booth.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Gettleman" knew" what the Redskins were doing in the draft, so he probably thought that he would help them out with Collins.  Woman LOL

I read the the Jets are pursuing Peyton Manning for GM, but haven't heard if he's interested. Manning knows football but has no office experience, so not sure if that would work out. I would suggest that he run far, far away from the Jets. They are probably willing to offer him  tons of money for the job. Don't want to pay Bell or Mosley top dollar, but would be OK paying Manning a high salary? I haven't heard any figure they're offering, just speculating . 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Chris Long has now officially retired. Pity! He was a heck of a player and a really great guy besides. The good news is he told the Eagles not to plan on him being on the team this year, so they could address the situation in the draft or free agency. His retirement now frees up another $5+ million in salary cap space giving the Eagles somewhere around $26-$27 million in cap space. I'm guessing a lot of that will go towards a new deal for Carson Wentz.

Will the Eagles look to sign or trade for a guy now, or will they go with the kids we've been drafting the last few years? We drafted Shareef Miller this year, Josh Sweat last year, Derek Barnett the year before, and we've got Joe Ostman and Daeshon Hall also. That's five talented younger guys along with Brandon Graham and Vinny Curry. Graham and Barnett will be the starters with Curry first off the bench, but then things get interesting. Ostman was gettng a lot of praise on the practice squad last year for simulating other defensive ends for the offensive line in practice. One of the offensvie lineman said it was easier playing against the real guy than Ostman pretending to be him. That could be a good omen. We'll have to see how things shake out in camp.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

A lot of it comes down to when you lose starters too. Our corners started dropping very early on. The Redskins quarterbacks fell later in the year.

I'm just happy now with every practice whewhere someone isn't wheeled off, lost for the season.

Have you seen Josh Norman's comments on Dave Gettleman? He loves the moves Gettleman's made in letting Norman leave Carolina for DC. Landon Collins not being tagged and ending up in DC. And then Gettleman drafting Jones instead of Haskins. Josh thinks the Redskins should pay Gettleman for all the help he's given DC over the last few years.

@gardenman @teganslaw 

LOL---Yep, I heard Josh Norman's chatter.....while I enjoyed the criticism and little dig at one of our rivals, he better watch his own back....a lot of criticsm thrown his way over salary cap hit versus production, lots of comments floating around....Former Redskin Fred Smoot said Redskins should cut him....I'm not a fan of Fred Smoot, never liked him, and he should have disappeared totally after the sickening "loveboat scandal" while with the Vikings....and anything he says I'd do the opposite....BUT if I was Josh I would definitely listen to remarks from my Head Coach....when talking about this year's roster Gruden called Josh out and said "Now we're looking for more from Josh and he's gonna give us more because we're gonna demand more. We're looking for superstar status at corner from Josh."  Although Gruden softened the remarks adding...."People seem to be disappointed in his play," Gruden said. "I'm not disappointed at all. Josh is a good football player and does some great things for us.".......But I think Gruden put Josh on notice......People pointed out Josh is one of the Redskin's hardest workers, always putting in extra work.... 

But what he does on the field is what counts.....

Maybe Josh should've focused less on guest starring in a local production of the Nutcracker and focused more on football as a CB...

Related image

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Lots of chatter about Peyton Manning taking over as Jets GM. That could be interesting. It would help explain his lack of interest in the MNF broadcast booth.

@gardenman 

I just dont picture him as a GM ....maybe a QB coach at some level.....Or I'd thought he'd go into acting, he seems like a natural from his commercials and SNL appearances....

Honored Contributor

The Eagles full team OTA's start tomorrow! Yea! We'll finally get to see the players doing something. The springtime depth charts tend to be a bit erratic though as coaches will make someone a starter just to get them more practice reps sometimes, but never plans on them starting.

The local press will all be watching to see if Carson Wentz practices, how much he practices, how well he does, etc. There's still a long, long time until the first meaningful game in September though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!