Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for May 2019 !!

The Redskins have to decide fairly soon who their starter will be at quarterback. If it's between Haskins and Keenum, both just learning the Redskins' offense, the winner will need lots of reps in practice. McCoy already knows the offense and would just need enough reps to sharpen his game. My guess is that Haskins will get the starter reps, McCoy, if healthy, will be the backup, and Keenum, if he makes the roster at all, will be the third string guy.

Montez Sweat is a physical beast, but likely won't show to his potential for a year or two. While he's fast, he's also a bit raw and weak. Running around offensive linemen in college is easier than trying to do it at the pro level. Once an NFL offensive lineman gets his hands on a defensive end, that end has to be strong enough to fight free. Sweat's not quite there yet. 

The Eagles had studied Cody Kessler as a possible draft prospect in 2016 in case they couldn't get up high enough to draft Wentz. Getting him now, essentially for just his salary, was apparently too good of a deal for them to pass up. He's a West Coast Offense guy. He's still young. He has starting experience. He'll fight it out with Nate Sudfeld for the backup role.

A guy to watch for the Eagles is the undrafted free agent wide receiver DeAndre Thompkins from Penn State. He ran a 4.33 forty at his pro day and was disappointed as he'd been running 4.2's in practice leading up to it. One thing you can't coach is speed, and if he can truly run in the 4.2 range, he'll keep defenders on their heels. The concern you have with a guy like that is, why wasn't he more dominant in college? Did he outrun his quarterback's arm? Does his speed come late? Did he just not mesh well with the quarterback? Why was a guy with his skillset not a star? He's getting a chance now to show what he can do and we'll see what happens, but he'll be an interesting guy to watch.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

With Cody Kessler signed the Eagles cut loose Luis Perez. Not surprising. Perez was reportedly very inaccurate in the little reporting we had from the rookie minicamp.

The Eagles also added more offensive line depth by resigning Stefen Wisniewski to a new deal. They sort of telegraphed this move by not giving out his jersey number. He'll be playing for about $2.2 million less than he would have gotten if the Eagles hadn't cut him loose earlier. They set him free, let him test free agency, he didn't find a deal he liked and came back for $2.2 million less. That's how smart teams use free agency and manage the cap. You shuffle the roster, but keep the door open for a guy to return if he's not happy with what he can get on the market.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw 

Nice story about Chuck P., former Colt's HC and current Bears DC. He did a fundraiser for cancer research in Indy.....Bears chairman George H. McCaskey, general manager Ryan Pace, head coach Matt Nagy and a handful of assistant coaches joined Pagano at the seventh annual Chuckstrong Tailgate Gala at the Indianapolis Colts’ practice facility.

In the past his efforts raised over $800000.....He had raised $860000, and his previous Colt's boss, Jim Irsay, put in a million....for a total raised of $7.3 mill in 7 yrs........  

Nice to see the two teams working together for a worthy cause....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I heard about the fundraiser. Good to see teams working together like that.

Pagano will probably do well as DC. Coaching wasn't his strong suit, and this new job is a better fit.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Some interesting stats floating around. The folks at Football Outsiders do a study of "Adjusted Games Lost" to injury or AGL. The Eagles AGL was 118.5 making them the second most injured team in 2018. (Tampa was first at 128.) The Colts ranked right behind the Eagles at 30th with an AGL of 116.5. If those two teams (Eagles and Colts) can stay just a bit healthier this year, it should get both of them back into the playoffs and deeper into the playoffs.

The Eagles got especially hard hit at cornerback last year. We started something like thirteen different cornerbacks over the sixteen game regular season. You just don't see that too often. We were pulling guys off the street and suiting them up at corner and playing them right away last year. It's kind of amazing that the Eagles were able to make the playoffs, win a playoff game and then almost win another with that type of an injury record.

Typically the Eagles are one of the least injured teams in football. In 2013 they were first (lowest AGL), in 2014 fifth, in 2015 sixth, in 2016 fourth, in 2017 thirteenth and then thirty-first last year. Hopefully last year was a fluke and won't be repeated.

The Redskins had an AGL of 99.3 making them 24th on the list. Oddly enough, the healthiest team last year was the Baltimore Ravens with an AGL of 29.7. Buffalo was right behind them with an AGL of 33.8. 

Staying healthy is one of the most important things for a team during the offseason and preseason. If Baltimore or Buffalo see a big drop from their top two rankings in 2019 they could be in trouble.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bill's super fan Ezra Castro, who was known as Pancho Billa for his game-day outfit that includes a sombrero and facemask in the NFL team's red, white and blue colors, died Tuesday after battling cancer, he was 39.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

The family of Ezra Castro (Poncho Billa) has been getting tributes from the NFL. He was too young to die. May he RIP.

The Jets fired GM Mike Maccagnan. Coach Adam Gase will be the interim GM until they find someone. There are reports that Gase didn't like the high salaries paid to Bell and Mosely. The Jets denied any rift between Maccagnan and Gase, however. They mentioned that they were behind the GM. That should have been a warning that things weren't going smoothly. When a team says they back the coach or GM, watch out. 

Adam Schefter reported that it's not unusual for a team to fire the GM after the draft, but it mostly comes right after, not three weeks later. The Jets said that this was the best move going forward. We'll see how it works out. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The Jets are certainly interesting. They let the GM spend something like $191 million on free agents, run the draft, then fire him. The timing's not unusual, but apparently he and Gase didn't agree on the Le'Veon Bell signing. Gase didn't want hm, but Maccagnan did. Now the GM is gone and Gase is stuck with Bell. In his first move as GM Gase trades one of their best linebackers for a sixth round pick. There are rumors that Gase says Bell is available for as little as a second round pick if anyone's interested. Would the Steelers make the deal to get him back?

I'm glad I'm not a Jets fan. The Patriots are really lucky to have three largely dysfunctional teams in their division. It makes winning the division that much easier for them. They don't have to do much, just watch as the rest implode.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

The Jets are certainly interesting. They let the GM spend something like $191 million on free agents, run the draft, then fire him. The timing's not unusual, but apparently he and Gase didn't agree on the Le'Veon Bell signing. Gase didn't want hm, but Maccagnan did. Now the GM is gone and Gase is stuck with Bell. In his first move as GM Gase trades one of their best linebackers for a sixth round pick. There are rumors that Gase says Bell is available for as little as a second round pick if anyone's interested. Would the Steelers make the deal to get him back?

I'm glad I'm not a Jets fan. The Patriots are really lucky to have three largely dysfunctional teams in their division. It makes winning the division that much easier for them. They don't have to do much, just watch as the rest implode.

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Gardenman you make excellent points....And isn't that the Patriots success story that no one mentions....their weak division!....Maybe Tom Brady should give a bit of the credit for his longevity to his division opponents....

To me, both Maccagnan AND Gase are incompetent....Gase made a mess of  the Dolphins...

Some of his players felt alienated and held to a different standard if they weren’t one of ‘his guys’ like Ryan Tannehill and others the media herd.  And as far as strategy, he stopped using playstht were working, and stuck with plays that weren't, so players felt frustrated.....And players said he wasn't emotionally level headed....

And Maccagnan...I think it was more him than Todd Bowles that held the Jets back....Gee I guess Bruce Allen isn't so bad afterall.....LOL

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Some interesting stats floating around. The folks at Football Outsiders do a study of "Adjusted Games Lost" to injury or AGL. The Eagles AGL was 118.5 making them the second most injured team in 2018. (Tampa was first at 128.) The Colts ranked right behind the Eagles at 30th with an AGL of 116.5. If those two teams (Eagles and Colts) can stay just a bit healthier this year, it should get both of them back into the playoffs and deeper into the playoffs.

The Eagles got especially hard hit at cornerback last year. We started something like thirteen different cornerbacks over the sixteen game regular season. You just don't see that too often. We were pulling guys off the street and suiting them up at corner and playing them right away last year. It's kind of amazing that the Eagles were able to make the playoffs, win a playoff game and then almost win another with that type of an injury record.

Typically the Eagles are one of the least injured teams in football. In 2013 they were first (lowest AGL), in 2014 fifth, in 2015 sixth, in 2016 fourth, in 2017 thirteenth and then thirty-first last year. Hopefully last year was a fluke and won't be repeated.

The Redskins had an AGL of 99.3 making them 24th on the list. Oddly enough, the healthiest team last year was the Baltimore Ravens with an AGL of 29.7. Buffalo was right behind them with an AGL of 33.8. 

Staying healthy is one of the most important things for a team during the offseason and preseason. If Baltimore or Buffalo see a big drop from their top two rankings in 2019 they could be in trouble.

@gardenman 

I am surprised about the Bucs and Eagles, I had listened to a Podcast that said the Redskins had the most injured players in 2017 and 2018....Does the AGL take into account the value to the team of the injured players perhaps?.....

•   May 8, 2019

At this year's NFL owners meetings, one session was devoted to health and safety, which included a presentation of injury data from teams.

The most injured team in 2018? The same as the year before: The Washington Redskins.

And for the second year in a row, the Redskins are trying to do something about it.

During last year's offseason, the Redskins flew their medical personnel to Europe, to review the methods being used by top international soccer clubs, who have to keep their players fresh over a long season that includes multiple leagues and international series.

The result was a number of new techniques and devices added to Redskins Park,