Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for May 2018!!

[ Edited ]

It appears this is another media inflated story about the Redskins......Or perhaps some WISHFUL THINKING on the part of Redskin fans........

The Redskins have hired a new COO, Brian LaFemina, league office executive. 

“I am thrilled to welcome Brian to the Washington Redskins,” Snyder said in a team-issued statement. “Brian has been one of the most highly regarded NFL executives amongst league ownership for many years because of his deep understanding of our business, his focus on partner relationships and his genuine belief that fans must be at the center of every decision we make.

Brian is coming to Washington with fresh thinking and big ideas to implement, and I have full confidence that with Brian’s addition and with Bruce Allen continuing as team President, the Redskins’ success will continue to grow, both on and off the field.”

However LaFemina's statement probably says more what his actual focus with the organization will be ............

LaFemina said in the same press release that Snyder approached LaFemina “about a year ago” to discuss the possibility of hiring him. “Working with Dan and Bruce to develop a new, dynamic stadium that matches the vibrancy of this organization and its fan base will be an exciting challenge and one of our top priorities,” LaFemina said.

It looks like Bruce Allen's duties regarding a new stadium will now be delegated to Brian LaFemina. My thinking is Brian will be in charge of working with local area officials in finding a suitable site for the stadium, getting sponsors and businesses lined up for executive suites to help pay for a new stadium, and getting fans lined up to pay for PSL's and season tickets (using his expertise in business and personal relationships!)..... Leaving Bruce Allen and Doug Williams to run the football personnel operations....JMHO-but NOTHING TO SEE HERE FOLKS--LaFemina is in charge of the business side and Allen & Williams will be in charge of the football side.......

But since Allen himself did not release a statement (and why would he, Doug Williams didnt release a statement either)....The media is already saying Allen was undermined by this move, and they are speculating he's taking a job with the Raiders..........

Now many Redskin fans are really hoping their wishes will be granted...Some Redskin fans are willing to pay for Allen's moving expenses....and Raider fans are CRINGING at the thought!!!  But sorry Redskin fans I can't see Snyder firing the son of George Allen....

There was another rumor that Snyder tried to hire Russ Brandon, who had abruptly resigned from the Bills.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

It would be fun to see Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden work together. Let the dysfunction carry over to the Raiders. Has anyone started a Gofund me page to help with Allen's moving expenses? Woman LOL

I don't watch DWTS, but congrats to Josh Norman making it to the finals! I tried watching the show, and even though I liked some of the dancers, the judges got on my nerves. I thought that they overreacted. I also don't care about Erin Andrews, either on DWTS or as field commentator in the NFL. I can't give any reason, just is my reaction towards her. If the show did away with the judges, I'd probably enjoy it more. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw

Redskin fans are ready to offer an all expenses paid move--LOL!!!  But whats scary is who would Snyder hire to run the football side of the team.....Bruce Allen looks like a genius compared to former GM Vinny Cerrato---ARRRGGHHH!!!  Which was more like Danny made the decisions and Vinny was his "yes man"..........But then Vinny contributed making all those "fun moves" late in the draft....liked he picked players out of a hat or something.....

I dont mind Erin Andrews so much, she was also a contestant on DWTS....And she had one of the toughest professionals to dance with, Maks, he's an excellent dancer but a real jerk and bit of a task master....but she always handled it well and with humor....And as a co-host with Tom, Erin is better than Brooke Burke was as co-host....I couldnt stand her....she thought she was all that (now she's doing  underwear commercials).. Erin's just OK as a sideline reporter in the NFL games....

As for the judges---Bruno is way too melodramatic, Carrie Ann cries at the drop of a hat, and she gives high scores to sentimental dances, Len tries to judge the way they are supposed to according to how the dance is supposed to be performed, but he gets booed.....

One side note on Bruno---I just cant get the picture of him out of my mind when he was one of the dancers on Elton John's "Im Still Standing" video back in the 80's--and some of the costumes he wore on that---LOL.....

I think the skater, Adam, will win, but at least Josh got to the finale..........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I've tired of DWTS. The judges are way over the top and it's lost its novelty to me. I watched it from the first season when Kelly Monaco went from being tone deaf to a pretty good dancer. Now I'll tune in a bit to see Witney Carson and Lindsey Arnold (my two favorite pros) but then get bored and move on to something else. I'm okay with Erin Andrews, but not thrilled with her. I'd like to see Tom Bergeron host the Ocscars sometime. His wit and ability to ad-lib is top notch.

As to the Redskins, and truth be told pretty much every team in the NFC East this year, it'll all come down to the quarterbacks. Any GM who trades for a QB from Andy Reid is setting himself up for a fall.  

For the Redskins, they have to hope that Alex Smith is an Andy Reid mistake. The problem is that history tends to show that Andy Reid dumps quarterbacks just before they fall off the edge of the cliff into obscurity. He traded AJ Feeley to the Dolphins for a second round pick. He traded Kevin Kolb to the Cards for a second round pick and cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. He traded Donovan McNabb to the Redskins for a second and fourth round pick. None of those trades looked bad for the teams at the time. Some GM's (arguably most) thought they'd skunked Andy, but all turned out to be disasters. Now he's traded Alex Smith to the Redskins for a corner and third round pick. That's arguably the lowest price he's taken for a quarterback yet. Does that mean that Alex Smith is the least valuable of those quarterbacks to Andy, or is he just being nice to the Redskins? (It's a little alarming that in a quarterback starved league, no other team thought Alex Smith was worth more than a corner and third round pick.) We'll have to see how it plays out, but history tends to show that Andy knows when to get rid of a quarterback.

The Giants have to see if Eli's last two to five years have been due to inadequate talent and support around him, or if he's just slipped a lot. Getting OBJ back will help them as will Saquon Barkley, but without good play from the QB, they could be in trouble. Eli will be learning yet another new offensive system and the first year in a new offense tends not to be great for any quarterback. How will OBJ and Barkley get along? Barkley will steal touches from OBJ and receivers tend to be a bit upset if they don't get the ball. OBJ tends to get upset at anything, so losing touches to a rookie may not make him very happy.

The Cowboys have to find out if Dak is the Dak of 2016 or the Dak of 2017. When he only got one touchdown against the Eagles second and third team defense in that season finale, it got their attention. They were concerned about his confidence last year also which is not a good thing. Dak talks a good game, but losing Dez Bryant and Jason Witten (guys who pretty much were the highlight receivers in 2016 and 2017) will impact the passing game a ton. They're replacing two guys with big catch radiuses with guys with significantly smaller catch radiuses for an inaccurate quarterback.

The Eagles have to see if Carson Wentz can pick up where he left off. He's easily the most talented of the four NFC East quarterbacks and likely a top five QB in the league. I'd put Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Brees, and Russell Wilson above him, but not by a lot. Wentz also has a very talented cast around him. With Witten retired you can make a pretty good argument that Zach Ertz is the best tight end in the NFC East. (Jordan Reed is also very good, but a bit more injury prone.) Alshon Jeffrey is arguably the second best receiver in the NFC East behind OBJ. Nelson Agholor might be the third best receiver in the NFC East. The running back situation is pretty solid. Jay Ajayi is likely a step back from Ezekiel Elliott and Saquon Barkley, but he's still a very good back. There's also good depth behind Ajayi in Sproles, Corey Clement, and the rest. That Eagles defense is clearly the best in the NFC East. I think the Eagles have the best backup QB situation followed by the Redskins. The Cowboy and Giants backups are a bit iffy, at best.

A whole lot of what happens in the NFC East this year comes down to the quarterbacks. Can Eli still perform at a high level? Did Andy give the Redskins a great quarterback at a bargain basement price, or fleece them a second time? Can Dak carry the Cowboys without Dez or Witten? (And when you watch Cowboy highlights, you see mostly Dez and Witten in their passing game.) The Eagles seem to be the clear favorites for now, but will the Super Bowl hangover hurt them? It's going to be an interesting year.

I think the Eagles are the favorite, but if Alex Smith can play at a high level the Redskins could be right up there. That Giant defense is likely to be a problem for them. I'm not sure they've fixed their offensive line issues either. Five new starters on the line is a lot. The Cowboys may not have a passing game at all without Dez or Witten. They're also moving a lot of defenders around including moving Byron Jones to corner from safety which is the opposite of how that move generally works. Generally you move a corner, who's not quite good enough, to safety. Byron Jones has never figured out the angles to play as a safety, so they're moving him to corner to try and salvage the pick. One early mock draft for next year has the Giants, Redskins and Cowboys all drafting in the top ten in next year's draft which means that at least one "expert" prognosticator thinks all three teams will be pretty bad. We'll have to see. The Giants have surrounded Eli with the most talent he's had in years. If Alex Smith is actually good, the Redskins could be very strong. The Cowboys need Dak to perform well.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman

I think that Donavan McNabb trade to the Redskins was the most AWFUL, TERRIBLE,  HORRID trade tht the Redskins ever made...!!! (and believe me they've made some doozies).....I don't know if the decision was HC Mike Shanahan or GM Bruce Allen's...........

I never like McNabb as a player of person and he was certainly a HAS BEEN when the Redskins got him....And his recent firing from ESPN proves his off field character.............

I think no one was bidding for Alex Smith because it was early in the free agent period....teams were waiting to see what the Redskins were going to do with Cousins, and other QB free agents.  They were also contemplating the QBs in the draft....And SUDDENLY the Redskins made their decision on Kirk and grabbed Alex Smith.... I dont think it was necessarily a bad choice (they didnt want to start over with a rookie),  and I guess they thought Smith was a solid veteran)....But the decsion of Alex also wasnt the best choice either....with Alex's age they are just delaying the inevitable when they will be back to square one looking for a QB........

Im sorry I dont think Andy Reid is all that.......he's only had one Super Bowl appearance....He's won Division titles but does that speak more of his talents as a coach, OR is it teams in the division being weak that propelled his teams into the playoffs.

(2001 the Eagles won the division the Eagles won 11 games the closest  was the Redskins at 8-8, Giants/Cardinals 7-9, and Cowboys were 5-11).(2003 Eagles were 13-3, everyone else was 6-10).....

He's only reached a title conference once, He can't get over the hump....Personally.I think for all his playoff appearances he was just at the right place, at the right time.... 

He hasn't propelled the Chiefs into greatness either...and he cant blame that on Alex Smith...sure there were injuries, but all teams have injuries...even "the mighty" Patriots............

Honored Contributor

As for how my Redskins will do, if Alex works out and we stay relatively healthy, and some of our draft picks work out,  I think we can be 7-9 or 8-8--we have a brutal schedule, and we still need another good solid draft to be in contention within the Division and make the playoffs as wild card..........

Honored Contributor

I think the biggest asset for Andy Reid's coaching is his assistants. He finds, or grooms, or builds, really good assistants. It seems like half the league is now, or has been, coached by a former Andy Reid assistant. The current head coaches at Baltimore, Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, the Giants, Jets, Eagles, and Raiders all coached under Andy. If you look at the guys who are also linked in some manner like Frank Reich through Doug Pederson and other guys, the list of current head coaches with ties to Andy is pretty impressive. It's kind of hard to find many teams in the league without a former Andy Reid assistant on it in some capacity.

I think Andy's big weaknesses are game management and play calling. He falls in love with the pass too much, and has never been proficient at managing the clock. He'll lose a game or two each year from clock mismanagement and refusing to run the ball. Those were problems with him from year one in Philly and persist to this day. He's not an especially good play caller, but thinks he is.

One of his biggest strengths however is getting the most from a quarterback. Pretty much every quarterback Andy has ever had has played his best under Andy then melted away after leaving Andy. Donovan McNabb, AJ Feeley, Kevin Kolb, Jeff Garcia, Mike Vick, and Alex Smith have all played their best under Andy and in his system. When they've left, they've largely flopped in other cities. Andy's something of a quarterback whisperer who can get a lot from his QB's. Now, will Alex Smith melt away in Washington? I don't know, but if I was betting, I'd bet we'll see him regress. I'm not sure how Andy does it, or what he does, maybe he's just been lucky to catch guys on an upswing in their careers, but every quarterback he's had has played their best under Andy. 

I think half the league is scared to death to trade for a quarterback coming from Andy. Those are trades no one has won at so far. With Feeley and Kolb the Dolphins and Cards thought they were getting young guys on the rise. Not so much. With McNabb the Redskins thought they were getting a proven vet with several years left in the tank. Nope. Now Andy's traded away Alex Smith. Maybe Alex will be the exception. Maybe Jay Gruden can become his quarterback whisperer and coax a high level of play from him. We'll find out come September. It'll be fun to watch. 

And I know that the quarterback needy teams were eyeballing Kirk Cousins and the rest to try and find a new QB in free agency, but Alex Smith's numbers last year were pretty much the same as Cousins (or better in many categories) and he came with a lower price tag. I think a lot of teams were just scared to pick up another Andy Reid cast-off, fearing the worst. One of the most telling things was that the Bills, Giants and Jets all needed quarterbacks (the Bills and Jets were desperate for one) and all of those teams were coached by former Andy Reid assistants who didn't put in a bid for Alex Smith. Did Andy warn them off of him? You would think a guy who already knew their system and was a proven performer in it would be pretty valuable to those coaches, but they all stood by and watched as the Redskins got him for a third round pick and a corner. That's not a very high price for a starting quarterback.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

To me Alex Smith is a solid  average QB---I think that one local reporter, Rich Tandler, was right when he said that Smith is just an older Kirk Cousins....but with a couple of differences...he doesnt hang on to the ball too long, and he can and will throw it deep (which Alex did last year and sometimes Kirk hesitated and didnt).......Much will depend on how Alex and the WRs mesh...and I hope Doctson and Richardson can turn on the speed, and that and Guice/Thompson provide a nice running game for him so we have more of a balanced attack............

I think the Eagles will easily win the Division in 2018....The Eagles have the best personnel and the best coach right now..

Honored Contributor

In other NFC East News---

Odells's financial situation may have caused him to say that now he WILL attend the OTAs.............

And Terrell Owens weighed in on what he thinks of the Cowboy's Coach, Jason Garrett....Most agree with Owens assessment: 

“When you really look at it, it doesn’t make sense for Jason Garrett to continue to have his job. [The organization is]  not really expanding or progressing." Owens said on 105.3 The Fan.

But T.O. everyone knows that Jerry wants a puppet he can control......A REAL coach that calls his own plays and takes charge on the field--Jones wouldnt hear of it......

Honored Contributor

I tend to agree with TO. We've now seen three seasons of Amazon's "All or Nothing" with the Cards, Rams, and now Cowboys featured. This most recent season featuring the Cowboys showed the least in coaching from the head coach. Garrett mostly was a cheerleader more than a coach. I was very impressed by Bruce Arians and his staff in season one. Not as impressed by the Rams. Most of the coaching we saw in season three came from Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee who was constantly trying to rally his fellow defenders.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!