Honored Contributor

Now the stories are coming out.......

Looks like the Browns offered the Eagles their 35th pick in the draft for Foles (way to low for a Super Bowl winning QB JMHO) The Eagles presented the deal to Foles and Foles said he preferred to stay in Philly_..I don't blame Foles.....Going from a Super Bowl winning team to the Browns....Thats like going from the pent house to the out house...LOL!!!....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@yellowBeetle wrote:

Had the local news on in the kitchen while fixing dinner and saw Carson Wentz working out at today's OTA .... he looked fantastic!! And he seemed in really high spirits! Great news for Eagles fans!

@yellowBeetle

Great news for Eagle fans that Wentz is ahead of schedule, I just hope he doesnt come back too fast like RGIII.......

@Spurt

Oh, I so agree!! I still hope that he does not rush back too soon! He did look very good today ... but definitely he is a long way away from being ready to actually play, imo! It was just very encouraging to see him out on the field ... and in such obvious good spirits! Woman Happy

But for Wentz' well-being and long-term playing career, I think it would be very wise for Pederson to let Foles play a good part of the season. Give Wentz enough time to fully recover ... there is no need to bring him back right away.

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Now the stories are coming out.......

Looks like the Browns offered the Eagles their 35th pick in the draft for Foles (way to low for a Super Bowl winning QB JMHO) The Eagles presented the deal to Foles and Foles said he preferred to stay in Philly_..I don't blame Foles.....Going from a Super Bowl winning team to the Browns....Thats like going from the pent house to the out house...LOL!!!....

@Spurt

That is very interesting! Had not heard that!

But I agree with you. You said it perfectly, lol...like going from the penthouse to the outhouse!  

No offense to the Cleveland team or fans, but for the MVP of the Super Bowl to suddenly find himself on a team at the opposite end of the spectrum would just not be appealing. Foles really loves the city of Philadelphia ... and the Eagles! And Philly loves him! Only a relatively small number of men who have played the game have wound up having the honor of being the MVP of the Super Bowl! Foles is the newest member of that select group! He honestly seems perfectly content to do all he can to help the Eagles ... but understands that as soon as Wentz is healthy that he will take over. At least for 2018 Foles seems happy to embrace that role. And the Eagles are very lucky to have him!

Honored Contributor

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to go to the Browns. That 1-31 record is not a good sign. My gut says they've got the wrong head coach and coaching staff in place. It's really hard to lose that many games. We've seen a lot of really bad coaches win more games than that. Given that they were bringing in a new quarterback this year, I would have opted to flush the old coaching staff and replace them with some fresh, young guys. How can you argue that Hue Jackson and his staff are the right coaches with that record?

I still think the Eagles are planning to move Foles, they're just looking to make it a move that both sides like. The new contract they gave him is a starter's contract and not a backup's. Unless Carson Wentz has a major setback (and he looked terrific yesterday) Wentz is the starter in Philly. I suspect every team in the league has the Eagles phone number on speed dial should something happen to their starting quarterback. The Eagles have said they think Foles is more valuable than Bradford was and they got a first and fourth round pick for Bradford, so I think that's the minimum asking price for Foles. 

Speaking of Wentz, he's said he plans to come back better than before. Just from what we saw yesterday, he's already better than before. The foot speed he exhibited in those drills was very impressive. His pocket movement was amazing for a guy coming off that kind of an injury. (Well, for anyone actually.) He already looks better than he did before.

The depth at linebacker took a hit yesterday, but the Eagles apparently love Corey Nelson who we got from Denver. He'll take over Kendrick's starting spot and they gave a lot of play time yesterday to two of the kids from last year, Kamu Grugier-Hill and Nate Gerry. Nate Gerry was an interesting guy. He was a linebacker first in college, then switched to safety. The Eagles drafted him as a linebacker and despite him being a tad small for the job (218 lbs.) he hung around. It looks like they Eagles love his pass coverage skill and with backs coming out of the backfield on pass routes, they've got a guy in Gerry who can cover even the shiftiest of the lot. The Eagles defense seems to be mostly focused on stopping the pass these days. Coverage skills in the linebackers seems to be more important than run stopping ability and guys like Gerry, Nelson and Grugier-Hill are cover guys. Last year they would sneak safety Malcolm Jenkins into the third linebacker role, but it looks like they're now trying to find linebackers to play like a safety instead of a safety who can play like a linebacker.

Interesting that the Jets unloaded Christian Hackenberg already. He was a seocnd round pick not too long ago and highly thought of. It could be a good pickup for Jon Gruden however. He had Hackenberg in one of his QB sessions before the draft, so he's been around the kid for a solid day or so and knows how he thinks/works. (Or thought and worked then.) Hackenberg seemed more than a little frustrated with the Jets coaching, or lack thereof if you believe Hackenberg. He says he had to hire a private QB coach to help him as the Jets coaching staff didn't. It'll be interesting to see how that all plays out. Jon Gruden will definitely coach the kid.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe John Dorsey will help the Browns, but I don't understand why they extended Hue Jackson's contract. I think a HC change could  have done some good. Can't blame Foles for not wanting to go there. 

Mychal Kendricks can head on to Indy; I would love to have him try out for the Colts. Someone tell Ballard to get that done! No news on what's happening with Breeland; he hasn't signed with any team yet. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

It's really hard to understand why Hue Jackson is still employed. Maybe the Browns will go 16-0 this year, but I highly doubt it. I think it's more likely they go 0-16 again. It's really hard for a team to go 0-16 but the Browns nearly pulled it off two years running and Hue Jackson still has a job. One win in two years is not a good sign for a head coach. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

Mychal Kendricks would be a good pickup for the Colts or any team for that matter. He's a really good player and a good person. He's just too pricey in Philly where he only played 25% or so of the snaps. Most of the time the Eagles go to a three safety, two linebacker look and Kendricks was the third linebacker. When they signed him to the extension a few years back he was an every down linebacker, but his pass coverage skills are largely non-existent. He tends to let receivers run past him then chase them down. That's not especially efficient. He's fast enough to stay with them, but for whatever reason he just doesn't. If he's on the field, you can count on the offensive coordinator trying to get him isolated on a back or tight end on a passing play. It's a bit of a probelm with him and one that he's never been able to fix. As a run stopper, he's great. As a pass rusher he's great. You just don't want him one on one with any kind of a receiver if you can help it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for May 2018!!

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw @gardenman

It gets better .......

The Browns owner, Jimmy Haslam INSISTED that John Dorsey keep Hue Jackson as the HC............I would have asked "can I make changes to the coaching staff" BEFORE I took the Brown's GM job!  When Haslam was asked where he saw progress with the team with Hue Jackon, Haslam's reply was "it's been uneven".   

Most ownrs know the best scenarios occur when the GM hires the HC not when the GM is stuck with a coach... 

Oh there was rumor last December that the Bengals wanted to fire Marvin Lewis and in some way hire Hue Jackson.......Say what???????

The media in Cleveland has said out of all the coaches and GMs, Haslam never had a loyalty or connection with any of them EXCEPT for Hue Jackson.........

And despite having to work with Jackson, Dorsey said he loved the salary cap situation and all the drafts picks which  provided a good opportunity to turn the team around........(And probably due to the fact that there were few GM openings this season).........

I think the Brown's problem is definitely THE OWNER.... hmmmm and with my team's situation who should know better .... Smiley Wink   But at least we arent 0-16........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

There have been head coaches who got off to a bad start and rebounded, but Hue Jackson has taken bad starts to a whole new level. We'll have to see what happens this year, but I'm not optimistic.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

From the Redskin camp:

Running back Derrius Guice's vision and plant-and-cut ability were on display in drills Wednesday. He caught the ball well when they threw to him in group work vs. no defense. But it was Rob Kelley who opened with the starters.  

Rookie Daron Payne worked a lot at nose tackle and also got reps in their nickel front. Payne did beat rookie OT Geron Christian on one rush, showing quick feet. Payne's true impact vs. the run won't be felt until the games begin.

Yikes!--Geron Christian keeps getting negative comments during camp.....