Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Geron Christian is a kid still at just 21. He's a tick light at 298 for a guy 6'-5". He came out as a junior, had a decent combine and probably isn't quite ready to be a pro yet. Offensive linemen, even the really good ones, need a year or two to get their footing in the NFL. A kid like Geron Christian will get a lot of tough love, and hopefully good coaching, to try and get the most out of him, but don't expect anything from him this year.  Start him at offensive tackle and NFL defensive ends will just kill the kid. They'll run over, around and through the kid to the quarterback. He's getting his first taste of high level competition and he can either rally and excel, or melt away. As a third round pick, he'll be given more chances than an undrafted rookie, but those opportunities come with high expectations. 

NFL teams can be brutal to kids coming in. Years ago the Eagles drafted a big, fast, lanky wide receiver named Todd Pinkston. Todd talked a bit much heading into the first practice with contact and the Eagles corners decided to welcome him into the NFL. They played tight man coverage on him and just threw him to the ground at the line of scrimmage whenever he took the field. He went into that practice cocky and arrogant and came out with his confidence broken. He couldn't even get off the line of scrimmage to run a route. The corners just ate him alive. It took a year or two for his confidence to come back, but he was never the same player he was in college. It's a whole different game at this level and a lot of guys just don't have the mental makeup to excel at this level.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman

That's why some of these guys shouldnt go to the draft as juniors.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

The judge dismissed the domestic violence charges against Reuben Foster, saying that there was not enough evidence to go to trial. Foster's ex girlfiend admitted that she made the whole thing up because she was angry at him and wanted to get even. 

The assault weapon charges he faces were changed from a felony to a misdemeanor, and he has to appar in court again June. The worst is over, though, and he can try to ge this life back to normal or as normal as it's going to be from now on. Something like this doesn't go away quickly. 

Nashville will be the site for the 2019 NFL draft. It seems that they are trying different locations to see how it goes. Denver and Vegas also applied for the chance to host the draft, but Nashville won out. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

It's only OTAs but here's some GOOD news for my Redskins....(I bolded parts that differentiated him from Cousins)

Alex Smith showed why the Redskins traded for him. He got  rid of the ball in time; anticipating receivers' cuts; and that meant no turnovers. There was one excellent deep ball for a long completion. 

Jay Gruden had good things to say---“Alex has got good command of the offense already, Great command in the huddle. He’s just getting a feel for the receivers, the players around him, how we call things, but I’m very pleased with his quick progression and learning. I knew that wouldn’t be an issue with as much as he’s played in a similar-style system. It’s just a matter of him getting used to the players around him.”

Alex joked that his offense in Kansas City and his new one are “Latin-based languages. There are similarities, structure of the playbook, how we call things, but it’s not the same language.”

He didn’t come across like someone who was confused by the offense. Nor did he hesitate with his throws when he spotted his target.

The Redskins signed the speedy Richardson in the offseason and the two connected on Wednesday. Smith twice threw to Richardson -- he wasn’t wide open either time, but he still unloaded a pass. The first one resulted in what would have been a 45-yard completion.  Another ended with corner Dunbar breaking up the pass. Richardson wasn’t open, but Smith gave him a chance. At season’s end, Gruden said he wanted Cousins to show more trust in his receivers. Gruden said there were times in practice when Cousins checked down when “I’m like, just let it fly.” Smith let it fly -- not every time, but on these particular plays.

Even vocal safety Swearinger had some good things to say.....He brings a game manager, he definitely brings less turnovers, for sure. Only having five interceptions last year is something as a defender I love because I know I’m not going to be on the field the majority of the game. He’s a smart quarterback. He’s a leader and you can tell that, seeing how he leads the guys and throws the ball around. He’s going to help us win, for sure.”

The coaches are working with Guice to become more of a receiver, and there was a video of a nice long pass and catch from Alex to Guice.....hope we see this often during the season! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Here's some Cowboy gossip from our local reporters here ---

It looks like the Cowboys are looking for an out and a way to dump WR Williams whose in trouble with his offfield situation.....

Also Zack Martin is holding out and not at OTAs if a key part of their O line is sitting out that's a huge problem for both Dak and Zeke.....

Back to the Redskins---Here's one projected starting lineup

DdrdZ4qVQAQmCEP.jpg

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

Im glad a small market NFL team gets to host the NFL draft....

Honored Contributor

Andrew Luck still hasn't thrown a football. Am I missing something there? Football's aren't all that heavy. He's still building strength? How weak had he become? 

I've still got a bad feeling about that. It just doesn't add up to me. Pitchers who undergo Tommy John surgery are back throwing fastballs quicker than this. My gut says they know he's got an unresolved inflammatory issue and they're just hoping to keep it calmed down until they need him. I think they're just hoping to manage the situation. I think they know (or strongly suspect) the pain will come back when he starts throwing footballs and they're just hoping to keep him usable until they need him.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Some articles say that Luck isn't throwing a football yet, but he has been throwing a smaller size football for about a month, just not the regular one they use in games. Luck himself has said he's optimistic about this season, and Ballard expects Luck to be throwiing regularly by the time training camp starts.  

The Colts are keeping quiet about Luck's rehab, not providing extra information if they don't have to. They might be afraid that anything they say will be exaggerated. The problem with that is everyone comes up with their own theories about what is really going on.

My take on the situation is they're being very cautious, even to the point of paranoia, about Luck's rehab. They're worried about having him return too soon, and want to make sure that he is comfortable playing again. Maybe they are concerned about inflammation, who knows?  They don't want to take any chances. Since they didn't draft a QB early on, to me it means that they expect Luck to be ready to play. Or if something has happened, to delay things, they have confidence in Brissett. Have to admit that the whole situation is a bit frustrating for fans. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for May 2018!!

[ Edited ]

Dorsey shakes up Brown front office--Dorsey brought in plenty of "his own guys".  Now that the draft is over, the Browns are letting go a pair of long-time personnel staffers who had survived multiple regime changes there, and no longer have an exclusive deal with former NFL G.M. Scot McCloughan.

Scot McCloughan is going back to consulting for anyone who wants to pay him for his scouting opinions.....hope the reason was that Scot didnt "revert to his old habits".....as Chris Cooley and others claimed........

Today Frank Reich said Luck will likely ramp up his throwing between the end of mandatory minicamp on June 14 and the start of training camp in late July.

Luck said last month that he wants to go into training camp without a "governor," which means he doesn't want to have any restrictions when he starts throwing.

Everybody in the Colts organization -- from owner Jim Irsay to Luck -- feels confident that their franchise quarterback will play in 2018 after he missed all of last season following his shoulder surgery in January 2017. Reich calmly said he's "not worried at all" when asked if he had concerns about Luck not throwing yet despite training camp being about two months away.

"I'm completely comfortable with him throwing when he's ready, when the doctors say he's ready," Reich said. "I've been around long enough. He's been around the league a little bit. He's totally engaged in every aspect of what we're doing mentally. The physical part for a guy like him, I think you have to work at it, but I'm not worried about that. I'm comfortable with the process that's in place."

BTW one of the NBA analysts on ESPN, Ryan Hollins, said he feels the Eagles should stick with the QB that got them their Super Bowl, Nick Foles..... Of course Trey Wingo and Chris Canty said it was Wentz that got them all the wins in the reglar season.....I hope the Eagles are not headed for a QB controversy in the locker room..........

Honored Contributor

McCloughan was all in on Baker Mayfield, so it'll be interesting to see how Baker performs. If he turns out to be the quarterback who saves Cleveland, then McCloughan could see his value rise. If Baker bombs (highly possible) then McCloughan could be largely ignored by other teams.

I think Baker will be okay, if he can survive and gets good coaching. I'm just not confident in that Browns' coaching staff. I'm not sure what to expect from the Browns this year. My gut says 3-13 or 4-12 feels right. I wouldn't rule out another 0-16 year though. Their schedule isn't easy. They play the Steelers, Saints, Jets, Raiders, Ravens, Chargers, Bucs, Steelers, Chiefs, Falcons, Bengals, Texans, Panthers, Broncos, Bengals, and Ravens. I don't see a lot of wins there. They could beat the Jets in week three, but there aren't many easy wins on that schedule.

They'll be a fun team to watch this year, but the pressure the quarterback will be under will be intense. The fans want wins and if Tyrod gets the early starts, he's facing a tough schedule. It's hard to see any Browns' QB doing better than 1-5 in that stretch. Going 0-6 wouldn't be a surprise.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!