Honored Contributor

Cassius Marsh has stirred up trouble with his comments about playing for the Patriots not being fun. It's not a unique viewpoint as several former players and opponents have commented on it, but Cassius seems to be drawing the most heat for saying it.

The pro-Patriot side is saying, "It shouldn't be fun! You're there to do a job! Just do your job! Nose to the grindstone and get it done! Have fun on your own time!"

The anti-Patriot side is saying, "It's not a prison. You should be able to have some fun while you're playing what's essentially a kid's game. Belichick's too strict."

I tend to come down on the anti-Patriot side myself. The Eagles had a lot of fun all season and won the Super Bowl. The Seahawks sure looked like they were having fun when they were winning. The Steelers and Vikings had a lot of fun last year and won. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Reggie Wayne spent some time with the Patriots after being released by Indy. He didn't like being there and asked the Patriots to grant him a release which they did. Reggie didn't like Belichick's style and mentioned that it was :tough" and "not fun' being with NE. He is now a volunteer coach with Indy. 

I don't recall Reggie getting much heat for his remarks, so don't know why Cassius' remarks are causing problems. The only criticism Reggie got was from Colts fans for going to NE in the first place, since most Colts fans don't  like NE. 

Something must be working, though; despite the criticism from ex-Patriots, the team still manged to win all those Superbowls. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for May 2018!!

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw @gardenman

Even if you win Super Bowls and are successful, if a team is all work and no play, the job becomes tedious and boring....and what kind of effort are players going to give...of course then the Patriots would just replace those players...but at what cost to the salary cap, and finding players of equal skill and talent......

Here's an endorsement for Derrius Guice Redskin RB from none other than Coach of the National College Football Champions, Alabama, Coach Nick Saban---

“We recruited him, so we knew in high school he was a very competitive player,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said. “He’s tough, got a little dog in him in terms of when you play against him, he’s fighting for everything he gets. The guy has good ability and he’ll be a good player. I always had a tremendous amount of respect for him.”

Now Nick Foles is questioning that report that said the Eagles had received a trade offer from the Browns for Foles they presented this to Foles who they said declined the offer...Foles said he didnt turn down anything and he never talked about it....He said he has a good relationship with the Eagles's GM Howie Roseman, where if something did happen they would have a discussion, but Foles said at the end of the day its's the GM's decision............

(HMMMMMMMMM  very interesting....a tall tale from the Eagles?? Guice's story also involved Howie, with a reported shouting match and raised voices....Hmmmm. Perhaps those bad rumors abut Guice may have come from the Eagles.because they didnt want the Redskins to draft him to help make their team better?)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

I don't think the Eagles ever said anything about the trade for Foles. I think that all started with a Michael Silver story. He's not generally associated with legit Eagles news. He's more of a Forty-Niners reporter. As far as I know the Eagles were "no comment" on the story. Now if Sal Pal were to report it, the story might be more legit. He's more the Eagles insider.

As for Derrius Guice, I doubt that the Eagles were the ones dissing him or they'd have kept their names out of it. My best guess, and this is just that, a guess, would be that the Niners new head coach Kyle Shanahan, who doesn't particularly love the Redskins or Eagles, is Silver's source. If he could keep Guice from both the Eagles and Redskins, he'd have been happy. If he could stir things up between Howie and Foles he'd like it. Michael Silver is a Niners guy. These stories came from him. Shanahan doesn't like either the Eagles or Redskins. The puzzle pieces look like they might just fit with Shanahan trying to stir things up and Michael Silver being his straw.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt

I don't think the Eagles ever said anything about the trade for Foles. I think that all started with a Michael Silver story. He's not generally associated with legit Eagles news. He's more of a Forty-Niners reporter. As far as I know the Eagles were "no comment" on the story. Now if Sal Pal were to report it, the story might be more legit. He's more the Eagles insider.

As for Derrius Guice, I doubt that the Eagles were the ones dissing him or they'd have kept their names out of it. My best guess, and this is just that, a guess, would be that the Niners new head coach Kyle Shanahan, who doesn't particularly love the Redskins or Eagles, is Silver's source. If he could keep Guice from both the Eagles and Redskins, he'd have been happy. If he could stir things up between Howie and Foles he'd like it. Michael Silver is a Niners guy. These stories came from him. Shanahan doesn't like either the Eagles or Redskins. The puzzle pieces look like they might just fit with Shanahan trying to stir things up and Michael Silver being his straw.

@gardenman

You make some excellent points and I appreciate the insight --- Ill go with your theory---I understand how some of these reporters are....they are not journalist but more like gossip columnist that like to stir things up even if it involves stretching the truth or making up a story......Just like ESPN NBA writer Adrian Wojnarowski and the Kawhi Leonard story...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Reporters report what they're told. You always want to know where the reporter is based. Mary Kay Cabot is the Browns reporter. Sal Pal is the Eagles. If either of them broke the story of the Foles trade, it would be more believable. When a story breaks from a non-local reporter, it could be right, but more often than not the reporter is being used as a pawn. Someone (John Lynch, Shanahan, someone) told, or strongly implied, that the Eagles turned down the second round pick for Foles. I'm pretty sure the Eagles would reject a second round pick anyway. They say Nick is more valuable than Bradford was and they got a first and fourth for Bradford. I think that's the minimum the Eagles would consider.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

Reporters report what they're told. You always want to know where the reporter is based. Mary Kay Cabot is the Browns reporter. Sal Pal is the Eagles. If either of them broke the story of the Foles trade, it would be more believable. When a story breaks from a non-local reporter, it could be right, but more often than not the reporter is being used as a pawn. Someone (John Lynch, Shanahan, someone) told, or strongly implied, that the Eagles turned down the second round pick for Foles. I'm pretty sure the Eagles would reject a second round pick anyway. They say Nick is more valuable than Bradford was and they got a first and fourth for Bradford. I think that's the minimum the Eagles would consider.

@gardenman

There's certain reporters that are biased that have a definite dislike for certain coaches/players/teams, some have their own personal agendas, or they need to feed their own egos and paychecks---

Sally Jenkins comes to mind...she resides in NYC after many years in DC and she still writes for the Post....a definite HATER of the Redskins (and the feeling was mutual with the players--even under Joe Gibbs in the 80's she really wrote scathing reports and a couple of players responded back with equal venom...it just added to her wrath to write anything negative that she can about the team ).  But her journalism creditability is questionable---as SB Nation (the largest independent sports media organization) lambasted some of her articles that were non-Redskin pieces, like her Northwestern Athlete article..  She couldnt cut it as an independent journalist---she had to come back to the Post and welcome arms of the Redskin hating publication....

Mike Florio, Peter King and a cast of thousands hate my Redskins.........

There are other reporters that create controversey just to generate interest in the media outlet/publication they work for.....they make a mountain out of a molehill to make their reports front page "news"............

Then there are the "gossip columnist"....sometimes their reports are false....but fake news or not, stupid people will treat the stuff as gospel and share it until social media is ablaze with the stuff...and people believe it just because well---"it was on social media".......

The one I HATE the most are the real HOMERS---OMG!!!  There is one guy here on the local ABC TV Station that is absolutely positively NAUSEATING when it comes to Texas teams particularly the Cowboys, Spurs, Astros, Rangers--one time after a dismal Cowboy season he had to find something positive to say so he came up with during the start of the lowlights from a game, as the film started he said---"ya know no one wears a uniform that is more recognizeable than the Dallas Cowboys"...(NAUSEATING!)..They only do postive upbeat pieces and NEVER ask difficult questions......These are the reporters that you talked about and that the coaches/players love and knowingly or unknowingly these reporters do the coaches/teams/owners bidding....They are the pawns.......

True journalist are hard to find ---they are men and women  that report the TRUE facts without letting their own biases or agendas get in the way...

Esteemed Contributor

SPURT, I never realized that Mike Florio and Peter King don't like the Redskins. I guess i haven't listened to them that much. 

Skip Bayliss, formerly of ESPN, now on the Sports FOX show "Undisputed" is not a fan of Andrew Luck. He praised RG111 and still thinks that RG111 is better than Luck. Bayliss thought that it was a huge mistake for the Colts to release Peyton Manning and draft Luck. He thinks that Indy has not been helped by that move. Now that Luck has not played a game in more than a year, Bayliss can make his point more clear and it's not in favor of Indy. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

A lot of reporters are more than a little crazy. A few years back the Eagles had just gotten a player in from the Falcons and after his first game with the team as he was listening to the press questioning the other players in the locker room, he turned to one of the players and said, "I thought we won that game?" The other player laughed, told him he didn't want to be there after a loss, and "Welcome to Negadelphia." The Philly press can find a dark cloud on even the sunniest of days. (Though to be fair, they seem a bit better in recent years.)

A receiver in Philly can catch ten of eleven passes for a hundred and fifty yards, three touchdowns, and lead the way to an easy win and the first question the press will ask is something like, "What happened on that pass you dropped in the third quarter?" The Philly press is anything but a homer. They want blood.

You can expect the Philly media to be all over Carson Wentz as we near the start of the season. They'll line up doctors ready to swear he should play if the Eagles hold him out, and they'll have some ready to swear he shouldn't play if the Eagles play him. Chances are they already have their stories ready to roll. "Wentz being babied!" will read a headline if the Eagles hold him out. "A Reckless Gamble with the Franchise!" will be the headline if they play him. It's all a game. The good news is there are lots of alternative sites for information these days.

Whenever you have one of the "NFL insiders" breaking news, it pays to remember which teams they're typically associated with. If the news they're breaking is about one of those teams, it's generally pretty accurate. If it's about another team, it's a lot iffier. It could still be accurate, but a West Coast reporter breaking a story about two East Coast teams is a bit suspect. They'll have gotten whatever they're saying from a "source," but that source may have made it all up for his or her own purposes. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

SPURT, I never realized that Mike Florio and Peter King don't like the Redskins. I guess i haven't listened to them that much. 

Skip Bayliss, formerly of ESPN, now on the Sports FOX show "Undisputed" is not a fan of Andrew Luck. He praised RG111 and still thinks that RG111 is better than Luck. Bayliss thought that it was a huge mistake for the Colts to release Peyton Manning and draft Luck. He thinks that Indy has not been helped by that move. Now that Luck has not played a game in more than a year, Bayliss can make his point more clear and it's not in favor of Indy. 

@teganslaw

Yep, Peter King took a strong stand and faught tooth and nail against the team nickname, he refused to use the name (even though the nickname originated to honor a Native American player--and even though the majority of Native Americans don't have a problem with it---) He predicted a name change in 2016...

Even when a poll said 9 out of 10 Native Americans weren't offended by the nickname, King said this--"Even though I had expected more Native Americans would be upset by the nickname, the fact that a clear majority are not doesn’t change the fact that it makes me uncomfortable to use the name."

I guess its karma because King no longer has his Sports Illustrated gig, but unfortunately NBC Sports picked him up....

As far as Florio---he ALWAYS refers to them as Washington, and always writes something negative or includes some sarcastic comment--but its funny how the Redskin fans respond....nothing crude, but something like....Gee I didnt know the University of Washington did that........OR they remind Florio the team's name is THE REDSKINS!! But the Patriot fans don't like Florio either....neither do Raider fans....Florio is after their team's too...

I would be upset being called Indians when my people arent from the country of India!--(and vice versa if I was from India and being included in the wrong ethnic group)---where's the protest for this?????????

You should be HONORED Skip Bayliss doesn't like Luck, He is an idiot....Even though Skip LOVES the Cowboys, the Cowboy fans refer to him as Skip BRAINLESS!! 

Skip's CRAZY---thinking RGIII is better than Luck---RGIII had one good year as a rookie because he was someone new  and because the opponents had no game film on him....The defensive coaches of the opponents got film and figured him out....he didnt wait to be totally healed, and didnt listen to his coaches and threw teammates under the bus...Ill take Andrew anyday over RGIII!!! .....Manning was getting old and had that issue with his neck too..... I think Andrew was not helped by the Colts front office by not putting good players around him particularly o line and some weapons...

And OH Skip(SMH)---he likes my Spurs ---ARRRGGHHH!!!--Although with the team falling apart now (Assistants applying for head coach positions, 2 veteran player contracts are up--looks like their contracts wont be extended, Manu  probably retiring, and the whole bizarre Kawhi story)---I'm sure he will jump off the Spurs bandwagon pretty soon!!! ---keeping my fingers crossed...