Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Dorsey shakes up Brown front office--Dorsey brought in plenty of "his own guys".  Now that the draft is over, the Browns are letting go a pair of long-time personnel staffers who had survived multiple regime changes there, and no longer have an exclusive deal with former NFL G.M. Scot McCloughan.

Scot McCloughan is going back to consulting for anyone who wants to pay him for his scouting opinions.....hope the reason was that Scot didnt "revert to his old habits".....as Chris Cooley and others claimed........

Today Frank Reich said Luck will likely ramp up his throwing between the end of mandatory minicamp on June 14 and the start of training camp in late July.

Luck said last month that he wants to go into training camp without a "governor," which means he doesn't want to have any restrictions when he starts throwing.

Everybody in the Colts organization -- from owner Jim Irsay to Luck -- feels confident that their franchise quarterback will play in 2018 after he missed all of last season following his shoulder surgery in January 2017. Reich calmly said he's "not worried at all" when asked if he had concerns about Luck not throwing yet despite training camp being about two months away.

"I'm completely comfortable with him throwing when he's ready, when the doctors say he's ready," Reich said. "I've been around long enough. He's been around the league a little bit. He's totally engaged in every aspect of what we're doing mentally. The physical part for a guy like him, I think you have to work at it, but I'm not worried about that. I'm comfortable with the process that's in place."

BTW one of the NBA analysts on ESPN, Ryan Hollins, said he feels the Eagles should stick with the QB that got them their Super Bowl, Nick Foles..... Of course Trey Wingo and Chris Canty said it was Wentz that got them all the wins in the reglar season.....I hope the Eagles are not headed for a QB controversy in the locker room..........

@Spurt

I have heard and read others saying there could be a QB issue between Wentz and Foles only if ... and this is a big if ... Wentz comes back and is not the same as before his knee ACL/LCL surgery. What they say is that that particular combo of tears is much more serious than an ACL tear alone ... or an ACL/MCL tear combo. Now Wentz has youth on his side so he will most likely be as effective as he ever was before. But if for some reason he was not as effective ... and the Eagles started losing with him as QB ... then the speculation is that Foles could be brought in. 

That is why, imo, Pederson is saying he does not want to rush Wentz' return.  Wentz needs to take all the time necessary to completely heal. He looked fantastic on the field during the OTA ... but he has not yet been cleared for any physical contact. He was making lots of impressive moves but in a guaranteed safe environment. There was no pressure. Personally I think it would be malpractice for Wentz to be given the green light too soon. Again, what is the hurry? Foles is there and can carry the team until Wentz returns. Why risk putting Wentz out too early and have him not be healed sufficiently to play at his pre-injury level because of hesitancy or slowness or the natural tendency after an injury to be tentative?

But if they do let Wentz start in September ... and for whatever reason he is not the Wentz of old ... then there most likely would be calls to bring in Foles. 

Honored Contributor

The Nate Sudfeld lovefest from the Eagles continues. We've seen him praised by the owner, GM, head coach, former offensive coordinator (Frank Reich,) former quarterback coach (Joe DeFilippo), and now wide receiver Mack Hollins. Mack said, "We have one quarterback who should have been MVP (Wentz). One who was the Super Bowl MVP (Foles). And one who could potentially be an MVP (Sudfeld.)"

I'm not sure what everyone is seeing in practice, but there seems to be a consensus that the Eagles have a really good young quarterback in Sudfeld. Whether what they're all seeing in practice ever translates to the field or not remains to be seen, but you just don't hear anything negative about the kid. His fellow players call him "Studfeld" because he's a stud quarterback. 

We'll have to see what happens when training camp opens but in the one day of open practice the media witnessed they all felt there was a big dropoff with Joe Callahan, the fourth string camp arm that was brought in who backed up for the Packers last year. It's going to be interesting to see how the quarterback picture sorts itself out. Nick Foles is being paid like a starter by a team that's way over the cap next year. He's very unlikely to be back next season. Nate Sudfeld could be a high value free agent next year if he performs at a high level when given the chance. Carson Wentz looked great in what we saw from him. Not every team has three starting caliber NFL quarterbacks on the roster. I'm not sure some have one.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for May 2018!!

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

Be careful Eagle coaches, players, and fans about feeling too confident about having 3 good QBs...that can quickly change in the blinplayer at a key position where you need a good replacement could lead him to be traded, as well as Eagle cap issues, and if they do that and Wentz could get re-injured, then your stuck with Sudfeld....And if I was Mack or the coaches, I'd wait and see Sudfeld on the field with the first string opponents before I'd say he really is MVP caliber.....

Some additional thoughts on the Redskins rookie LG Geron Christian.....the Redskins drafted him with the thought he needs to bulk up a bit with lean muscle. He is viewed as a backup or swing tackle....Gruden felt depth at the O line was a priority considering all the injuries they experenceed and guys coming back from injuries---Williams, Moses, even to backup Ty Nsekhe......Gruden felt he was the best blocking tackle in the entire draft.....

Good to see JJ Watt sitting courtside at a Western Conference Finals game-Rockets vs Warriors (JJ is my fav non-Redskin NFL player).....great guy on and off the field...great personality too......Although not a fan of his Rockets...nor Warriors either....  Woman LOL

Image result for jj watt cheering on the rockets against warriors

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Yeah, Geron Christian is a bit light at 298 lbs. for being 6'-5" . An offensive lineman that tall should be in the 320-340 lb range. It'll take him a year or two to bulk up. It's pretty easy for a defensive lineman to get under the taller guys, get them off-balance, throw them aside and have a clear path to the QB. Hopefully he won't have to start this year and can get bigger and stronger and compete for a job next year. If they put him opposite Ryan Kerrigan in camp the kid will learn a lot. Kerrigan can make good offensive linemen look bad. An undersized rookie would be no challenge to him. Kerrigan will beat him to the inside, the outside, and just run over the kid. He needs a year or two to bulk up and get stronger. The big challenge for the coaches this year will be keeping the kid's confidence where it needs to be. We saw that Falcons' defensive end sack Dak Prescott six times last season when an overmatched offensive lineman was inserted. If the kid is forced to start, he'll likely have a game or two like that. The team has to be ready to help the kid's confidence. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt

Yeah, Geron Christian is a bit light at 298 lbs. for being 6'-5" . An offensive lineman that tall should be in the 320-340 lb range. It'll take him a year or two to bulk up. It's pretty easy for a defensive lineman to get under the taller guys, get them off-balance, throw them aside and have a clear path to the QB. Hopefully he won't have to start this year and can get bigger and stronger and compete for a job next year. If they put him opposite Ryan Kerrigan in camp the kid will learn a lot. Kerrigan can make good offensive linemen look bad. An undersized rookie would be no challenge to him. Kerrigan will beat him to the inside, the outside, and just run over the kid. He needs a year or two to bulk up and get stronger. The big challenge for the coaches this year will be keeping the kid's confidence where it needs to be. We saw that Falcons' defensive end sack Dak Prescott six times last season when an overmatched offensive lineman was inserted. If the kid is forced to start, he'll likely have a game or two like that. The team has to be ready to help the kid's confidence. 

@gardenman

I agree with everything you said....hopefully the other guys on the oline can stay healthy to give the rookie a chance to develop..............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Some NFL players (not named) are considering sitting out the season until Kaepernick and Eric Reid are signed by new teams. The ones initiating this are hoping to get about 25% of NFL players to do the same. I can't see this being popular.. The players would be fined thousands of dollars and would not get paid if they sat out. Would they actually be willing to give up that money just because two free agents aren't signed? I don't think that Kaepernick wants to play football again; of course I can't read his mind, but he seems to be doing well and is receiving awards for his actions. Also, both of them filed grievances against the NFL. That doesn't help their cause. 

It wil be interesting to see if certain players go through with this. That will upset the rosters for thsi coming season. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Why isn't Kaepernick signed? It's because of Kaepernick. Not just his protests, but his whole lifestyle. He's now become a vegan which is fine, but generally not compatible with playing in the NFL. Football players need a lot of fuel to maintain thier body mass. Kaepernick was a big quarterback in his prime. Once he adopted a vegan diet he lost a lot of weight. So much so that Chip Kelly was scared to have him take the field as a Niner. He felt he was too fragile to play at the weight he was trying to play at. Two teams have tried to sign him in the past year. The Ravens tried to sign him last year only to have Kaepernick or his girlfriend insult Ray Lewis. This year the Seahawks tried to sign him but Kaepernick wouldn't come clean on whether he intended to maintain his protests or not. They went with someone devoted to the game instead.

As to Reid, the safety position in the NFL is evolving. Few safeties were signed in free agency. Teams now tend to be going with either smaller linebackers or bigger safeties instead of the traditional safety.

NFL owners aren't all far right, idealogues. Many are very progressive. Some absurdly progressive. They want to win though. If you can't help them win, then you won't get a job. Neither Kaepernick nor Reid are viewed as guys who will help a team win these days, at least not at the price they're asking for.

Can both of those guys still play football? Sure. But they can't set their own price and their own set of rules. It doesn't work that way. Neither is that good of a player.

Any player who throws away any part of his career to try and help those two bozos, is a bigger idiot than they are. Both could have been on a roster already, but chose not to be, for either monetary or other reasons. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for May 2018!!

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw

It wasnt just the anthem, it was the Castro t-shirt and pig socks that caused even more people to turn against him.......and that alienated a lot of people and caused a lot more to support the boycott ....

I also dont think its just his antics....After Jim Harbaugh left, his game seemed to fall apart, he seemed to be successful only in one system, Harbaugh's .....

The NFL owners are businessmen and Colin doesnt have the talent and isnt worth the risk alienating a portion of their fan base---your right GARDENMAN he isnt that good......and Reid isnt either........

Colin is stupid too...after he sues the NFL, he tries to become part of a group that wanted to buy the Panthers?....how dumb is that!!! He really thought the owners would approve the sale of a team to that group he belonged too.....animated-smileys-rolleyes-10.gif

The protests are long past serving their purpose--they aren't making a difference and were dying down at the end of the season....players moved on to find other more effective solutions to the problem..This new policy resurrected it...And now it appears some players are taking up Colin as a cause.....throwing away their hard earned money....A good commish could have worked with the NFLPA and gotten rid of this issue.....They could take a cue from the NBA which nipped it in the bud with a rule....of course the owners/players have a good working relationship that the NFL doesnt have.............

Honored Contributor

I just watched another NFL Films video on the Super Bowl and this one featured a sideline conversation between Jim Schwartz, the defensive coordinator, and Doug Pederson that I hadn't seen before. It's the next to last Patriot possession, the one where Brady fumbles. Jim tells Doug, "I'm going to be very aggressive. We'll either stop them, or they'll score quick and you'll get the ball back with time to score." Schwartz wasn't confident he could stop the Patriots, so he opted for an all or nothing strategy. It worked.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Back to Geron Christian for a second. The Eagles have a kid tackle named Aaron Evans from University of Central Florida who's also 6'-5", but he weighed 309 lbs.at the combine. (Down a bit from his 325 lb playing weight.) He had back surgery back in December or January, but was a bit of a stud when healthy. He was an undrafted free agent and he's likely to end up on the Eagles practice squad to get bigger, stronger and healthier and then compete for a backup or starter role next year. He should slip through to the practice squad without a lot of trouble given his injury history, but he could end up being a pretty good NFL caliber starter in a year or two. One of the advantages of picking a kid up later like that is that you're more likely to be able to sneak him onto your practice squad. When you use a third round pick on a kid, he's unlikely to sneak through. If you're planning to redshirt him his first year, which the Redskins will pretty much have to do with Christian, then keeping him on the roster eats up a roster spot for a player who you may need now.

It's interesting watching the roster games play out. If Evans shows anything this summer he'll likely make the practice squad and have a legitimate shot at making the big roster next year. If he doens't show enough, then he's an easy cut. It's hard to cut those third round picks. It's hard to sneak them onto the practice squad. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!