Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for May 2018!!

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

I forgot about the Eagles cheerleading scandal....I had to google it and that was back in 2002....so it looks like the NFL didnt take strong measures after that to make sure teams were treating the cheerleaders with respect to help stop future scandals.....Paul Tagliabue was the commisionerback then and it involved the cheerleaders suiting all the teams except the teams that didnt play the Eagles, and the Eagles were exempt because they said they didnt know about it....I googled and no one knows what the results were....even one of the writers said he couldnt find out the results either, although he joked it was probably Buddy Ryan's idea to get the visting teams in trouble...........

Moving on......This is crazy, the Brown's VP of player personnael, Alonzo Highsmith said something about Rosen bothered him, and what bothered him was a chance meeting at an airport where the UCLA volleyball team also happened to be waiting.....something bothered him about Josh Rosen, so he approached the Coach and said there's a lot of talk about Allen what can you tell me about him, the Volleyball Coach declined, and told him to ask Rosen's girlfriend who was on the volleyball team.....so that incident spoke volumes to Highsmith....

I mean come on, maybe the Volleyball Coach didnt want to get involved in some type of potential controversy so he deferred to Rosen's girlfriend.....Even if he gave a glowing report about Rosen, that would have made its way to the media, and then there probably would have been reports of the Volleyball coach's remarks were inaccurate, and someone heard him making contradictory remarks about Rosen ....then onward that goes with the Coach probably losing his job..........So I would have declined to comment too, not my sport........If Highsmith had doubts check out the film and say your concerned about his accuracy, but not because a coach of another sport at his school wouldnt make a comment, that's what sold you to scratch him off your list of potential QBs for the Browns...SHEESH!!! But they go with Mayfield whose off field activities are well known and bring a 100 red flags. No wonder the Browns are always at the bottom of the NFL.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Yeah, the Browns are a little crazy. I'm not sure which of the top five I'd have taken, but it probably wouldn't have been Mayfield. I would have probably chosen between Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson with Josh Allen having a bit if an edge. I think Rosen and Darnold are both in the Jay Cutler/Mark Sanchez mold who will consistently get you six to nine wins, but never break through. Mayfield is a bit too crazy for me. Jackson and Allen could become special. Jackson likely needs to bulk up a bit and Allen needs to improve his accuracy, but they strike me as having the most potential. Mayfield is a guy who would have me scared everytime the phone rang late at night.

Downgrading a guy because of essentially nothing, is why the Browns are the Browns. It's just dumb. Teams do crazy stuff though.

As to the cheerleaders, there's always a scandal of some sort. Universities have been known to use a willing cheerleader to entice a recruit to join the school. Pro teams routinely use cheerleaders in outreach programs with season ticket holders and box owners. Most teams send a few cheerleaders up to the luxury boxes/suites during a game as goodwill ambassadors. The Redskins might have gone a hit too far, but they're not alone. It'll quiet down pretty quickly. New rules might get created and memos circulated, but I don't see cheerleaders disappearing.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Giants are continuing to have offensive line problems. Ereck Flowers their projected starter at right tackle is sitting out their camp so far. He's upset that they gave his left tackle spot to Nate Solder and didn't let him compete for it, and then tried to trade him at the draft. When they couldn't get adequate value for him, they decided to keep him. I'm thinking they won't keep him long. He's likely to get cut in the very near future. He'll be a decent pickup for some team. The kid has talent, but needs polishing.

The Giants will apparently be starting a whole new offensive line this year. It's kind of rare to see that happen and likely will be bad news for Eli early in the season. It takes time for even the best linemen to gel and play well together. I'm betting every defensive coordinator facing the Giants in those first few games is planning stunts to see how the line reacts. On a stunt the o-line has to react as one, with one guy handing off a rusher to another. Guys who have played together for a while do it instinctively. They know where the other linemen will be, and how long they have to block their guy before handing him off. They play fast and with certainty. A newly assembled group will either miss a stunt completely, hand off a guy before the other lineman is ready, or too late and lose the chance to pick up the stunt. A mistake or two then has the line getting tentative and playing slower which then opens the door for the speed rushers to crash in.

The Giants will be a bit desperate to avoid obvious passing situations where a defense can attack that offensive line. By the midpoint of the season the line should solidify a bit, but early on a newly constructed line of new players will be vulnerable.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

Flowers is such a crybaby....so now he's sitting out camp because his feelings are hurt....poor baby!!!!  That's only going to show that the Giants dont need him....so where's the logic?

It will take time for the Giants new O line to gel....and they play the Jags and their stout defense the first week of the regular season.....and in week 3 they play the Texans---if JJ Watt is healthy that should be a fun one too....Woman Very Happy

The Redskins have agreed to terms with free agent Shawn Lauvao, who becomes a strong candidate to start once more at left guard for Washington.  They also have Arie Kouandjio, Kyle Kalis and Tyler Catalina at guard. 

The Redskins feel they got a steal with NT Tim Settle.   

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Yeah, those first five or six games will be a good test for that Giants line. The Jags, Cowboys, Texans, Saints, Panthers and Eagles are their first six opponents. The Jags pressure the whole line. The Cowboys' Demarcus Lawrence will test the right side of the line which looks weakest. The Texans with Ware and Clowney will be a handful. The Saints and Panthers can get at the quarterback. The Eagles want to kill quarterbacks. Eli Manning will either be getting rid of the ball very quickly, or picking himself up off the ground regularly. Five new starters on an o-line is typically a recipe for disaster. You'd think you could still run, but even running games use combination blocks that require precise timing by the offensive line.

That first half of the Giants' schedule is a bit of a killer. Things should improve after their bye, but by then they could be out of playoff hunt. It's hard to find a win in those first six games unless it's Dallas, and I'm not sure the Giants can beat them.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Tim Jernigan situation certainly came as a surprise for the Eagles. That's because it might have caught the Eagles off guard. Jernigan is undergoing offseason herniated disc surgery. He may miss the opener and possibly more games too.  This hurts the Eagles D line depth.  

The Eagles are saying that perhaps Jernigan was participating in activities not approved of by the team that resulted in his injury. The Eagles front office seems ticked off because had they known, they might have done things differently in the draft..........Their GM is not happy because part of the Eagles's strength is their depth, and they are able to rotate guys to keep them fresh, now Jernigan is having surgery and will be out, and they no longer have Beau Allen or Vinny Curry.....And this is the type of injury that could continue to haunt Jernigan too, so how effective is he going to be if he has to play in pain..... ....

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

I saw where Andrew Luck has started the Andrew Luck Book Club. Reading is a nice relaxing activity.  My parents always read to us and encouraged us to read, and took us to the library.  I remember competing with my brother and cousins to see who read the most books in the school year.  Our entire Elementary School had a competition and issued certificates for each book read (you also had to write a brief book report too). I dont know what happened to my sister, she hates to read to this day, I dont know how she graduated from college---LOL!!!    

Im so glad Andrew is doing this, if it encourages parents to read, they can use that as a way to encourage their kids to read,(hey kids Andrew Luck reads) and reading is so important to kids, it is the foundation for their education.  

Pretty cool!!!

They said he had a large crowd, of course people were wearing Colt's jersey's and brought footballs for Andrew to sign, and of course he took lots of photos..........

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't forget to vote for Josh Norman on DWTS! on Monday! Woman Very Happy HTTR!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Tim Jernigan reworked his contract giving back all of the guaranteed money in future years, so that helps protect the Eagles. The big issue for him is that it gives some of our kids a chance to impress. We still have Haloti Ngata, Fletcher Cox, Aziz ******tu, Destiny Vaeao, Craig Winston, and Eliqah Qualls at defensive tackle, and on pass rushing downs both Brandon Graham and Michael Bennett can rotate inside. I don't think losing Jernigan will be a huge issue for anyone but him. 

A long time back when Jon Runyan got drafted he asked the vet ahead of him why he never missed a practice. The vet said he never wanted the team to see that some kid could replace him. Runyan adopted that same philosophy and played through lots of injuries.

Jernigan's opening the door for one of the kids to impress and steal his roster spot. Let's say a kid starts in his place for the first six games and gets four sacks and six hurries. Do the Eagles even activate Jernigan? Probably not. The NFL  stands for 'Not for Long' and Jernigan's been around a while now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman

What that NFL veteran player said is so true....

ESPN's Mike Golic was an 8 year NFL veteran drafted in the 10th round in 1985 by the then Houston Oilers (they used to have that many rounds in the draft way back when)....Golic  went on to play for the Eagles and Dolphins.  He has said over and over as a late round draft pick he never wanted to miss a pratice or come out of a game (because of injury) because that could mean he'd lose his job...............