Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for March 2023!!

The draft is definitely getting more interesting now. Carolina will take a QB. Houston will take a QB. Arizona? Who knows? Kyler Murray is expected to be out until November, and they drafted Murray after spending a first round pick on Josh Rosen the previous year. The Colts will take a QB. The Seahawks are saying they might take a QB. (Probably not.) The Lions probably won't take a QB. (Do any of those kids have a girlfriend/wife as pretty as Christen Harper? No. Probably not, so they'll stay with Goff/Harper.) The Raiders need to find a QB at some point. Trade up or in free agency. Atlanta drafted Desmond Ridder last year and may be hoping he's "the guy." Is he?

Then you drop down to sixteen for Washington who don't have a path forward to get one. Four QBs gone in the first five or six picks. There are going to be some pretty good players slipping back as the rush to grab a QB goes on. Interesting.   

The Eagles are in a good spot at ten. They may have their choice of the top OL, CB, S, RB, or TE at ten. If they stay at ten. I suspect they're looking to drop back and pick up more picks though. We'll see what happens. Expect more moves to take place as teams try to find a way up or back in the draft. The Bears could end up with the guy they'd have taken first overall at nine if things break just right.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Carolina moving up to #1 affects the Colts chances. Maybe it wasn't intended that way, but it's like Frank Reich did this to get back at the Colts and Jim Irsay. He might get the QB the Colts wanted. I don't think Reich is vindictive enough to think that way, but it would be funny if true.

I guess the Bears are staying with Justin Fields as QB. He needed some play makers, so this helps the team. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

Thr Bears were having quite the auction for the first overall pick and the Panthers won. I doubt that Frank Reich is unhappy about that, but I don't think beating the Colts was his primary motive. Sitting at nine, the Panthers were unlikely to have any of the top four QBs fall to them. They needed to move up and move up far. They paid a price the Colts, Texans, and others were unwilling to pay. It worked for them. They'll now get their guy. 

The Colts need to be talking to the Cards to be sure they get the third best option. The Panthers and Houston will take the guys they view as one and two. The Cards are likely looking to move back for the right offer and there are probably teams talking to them daily. There are four-ish first round QBs. The Colts may default into the fourth of the four if they don't move into the Cards' slot.

Word is Houston wants Jimmy G as their bridge QB and with Carr already signed by the Saints and Baker Mayfield looking like he may stay with the Rams, the free agent options are getting pretty slim. Trade for Matt Stafford and his contract? Along with his bad elbow? Draft a later round kid and hope for the best? Settle for the fourth best first round option? The Colts need to make a move. Sitting at four could get them a QB, but probably not the guy they'd prefer.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

How are things Gardenman?

Honored Contributor

@m0rgan wrote:

How are things Gardenman?

I'm hanging in there. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

Glad to hear it, Apartment yet?

Honored Contributor

@m0rgan wrote:

Not yet. I checked this past Wednesday and I'm up to 12th on the list. I was 27th in early November, 20th in late December, and now 12th. At this rate it looks like I'll land the apartment in June. Maybe late May or early July, but most likely June. I can't wait! Hotel life isn't horrible, but it's still expensive and not a home. It's getting me through the winter though. In a perfect world, early May would be ideal, but that's overly optimistic.  They're moving people in at 3-4 per month and with eleven people in front of me that's 3-4 more months which means the rest of March, April, and May, then in around June. July at worst. 

I've still got enough cash to get me through mid-April, then I'll start redeeming the hotel loyalty rewards I've accrued to stay longer. In early May the NJ Anchor rebate ($1,500) should arrive which combined with my SSI should get me through May. Then the apartment should be ready in June. My apartment rent will be just $209 a month so once I'm in things should go smoothly. I can then rebuild my savings and things should smooth out nicely. I've got to keep enough cash on hand for the security deposit ($300) and first month's rent ($209) so I may be living in my car part time to preserve that cash, but all in all things are going okay.

Things might improve also as NJ opened up the waiting lists for section 8 housing and I was one of those approved. I don't know where I am on that list. I could be told I have a voucher tomorrow or it could be several years, but it was another option. (Likely several years given the size of the waiting list.) I could be first or 20,000th on the list. You just don't know. Over 140,000 people applied for the 20,000 spots available, so making the list at all was a longshot.

My PO Box is good through the end of June, so that timing works out nicely. God willing by July I can close out the storage lockers, be settled into the new apartment, reclaim my cats from the shelter, and start a new phase of my life.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

It sounds like the Jets and Packers have agreed on a compensation package for Aaaron Rodgers and everyone's just waiting for him to decide what he wants to do. I would expect that to get resolved before Wednesday.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@m0rgan wrote:

Not yet. I checked this past Wednesday and I'm up to 12th on the list. I was 27th in early November, 20th in late December, and now 12th. At this rate it looks like I'll land the apartment in June. Maybe late May or early July, but most likely June. I can't wait! Hotel life isn't horrible, but it's still expensive and not a home. It's getting me through the winter though. In a perfect world, early May would be ideal, but that's overly optimistic.  They're moving people in at 3-4 per month and with eleven people in front of me that's 3-4 more months which means the rest of March, April, and May, then in around June. July at worst. 

I've still got enough cash to get me through mid-April, then I'll start redeeming the hotel loyalty rewards I've accrued to stay longer. In early May the NJ Anchor rebate ($1,500) should arrive which combined with my SSI should get me through May. Then the apartment should be ready in June. My apartment rent will be just $209 a month so once I'm in things should go smoothly. I can then rebuild my savings and things should smooth out nicely. I've got to keep enough cash on hand for the security deposit ($300) and first month's rent ($209) so I may be living in my car part time to preserve that cash, but all in all things are going okay.

Things might improve also as NJ opened up the waiting lists for section 8 housing and I was one of those approved. I don't know where I am on that list. I could be told I have a voucher tomorrow or it could be several years, but it was another option. (Likely several years given the size of the waiting list.) I could be first or 20,000th on the list. You just don't know. Over 140,000 people applied for the 20,000 spots available, so making the list at all was a longshot.

My PO Box is good through the end of June, so that timing works out nicely. God willing by July I can close out the storage lockers, be settled into the new apartment, reclaim my cats from the shelter, and start a new phase of my life.

@gardenman 

Best of luck to you!  Prayers for early apartment placement and everything goes smoothly!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

The Colts C Ryan Kelly and TE Mo Allie-Cox are both reportedly on the trading block or set to be released. 

Kelly was considered one of the best centers in the NFL, but his play has regressed the past couple seasons.  TE Jelani Woods has recently been the star instead of Allie-Cox.  There might be some teams who would want to check out these players.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain