Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for July 2019!!

I used to be a fan of letting the kid sit and learn behind a veteran, but I'm not so sure any more. That early Redskin's schedule is fairly brutal though for a rookie. They play the Eagles, Cowboys, Bears, Giants and Patriots. It's not hard to see them get off to a 1-4 record even if they had Tom Brady as the QB. Do you let the kid start and possibly lose his confidence? But what does it do to his confidence if you don't trust him enough to let him play? I'd want to have a real good read on the kid before I made the call. A guy like Baker Mayfield has a level of confidence, even arrogance, that can't be damaged. Is Haskins that kind of a QB though?

I'd probably look through his college tape to see how he responded during and after a bad game. I'd put him in bad situations in camp to see how he responds. Coordinate the offense and defense in a session where he's throwing to third and fourth string receivers against the first team defense that's being clued in on the playcalls. Does he handle it well? Does he sulk? How does he rebound afterwards? If he takes it all in stride and doesn't get rattled, I'd probably start him. If he gets rattled, I'd likely wait until later in the year to ease him in.

There is no one right answer. The player, coaches, and team all need to be united in their approach. I don't think Haskins will ever be a top ten QB, but he doesn't have to be to be successful. If he's a top twenty QB the team can be successful.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Josh Doctson will most likely have some team willing to take a chance on him if he enters free agency. 

I don't know what the best solution is for the Redskin's QB situation.  Colt McCoy could improve enough to be considered, also. I doubt Alex Smih would be ready this year, so what to do about him? The team will have a few decisions to make.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

I used to be a fan of letting the kid sit and learn behind a veteran, but I'm not so sure any more. That early Redskin's schedule is fairly brutal though for a rookie. They play the Eagles, Cowboys, Bears, Giants and Patriots. It's not hard to see them get off to a 1-4 record even if they had Tom Brady as the QB. Do you let the kid start and possibly lose his confidence? But what does it do to his confidence if you don't trust him enough to let him play? I'd want to have a real good read on the kid before I made the call. A guy like Baker Mayfield has a level of confidence, even arrogance, that can't be damaged. Is Haskins that kind of a QB though?

I'd probably look through his college tape to see how he responded during and after a bad game. I'd put him in bad situations in camp to see how he responds. Coordinate the offense and defense in a session where he's throwing to third and fourth string receivers against the first team defense that's being clued in on the playcalls. Does he handle it well? Does he sulk? How does he rebound afterwards? If he takes it all in stride and doesn't get rattled, I'd probably start him. If he gets rattled, I'd likely wait until later in the year to ease him in.

There is no one right answer. The player, coaches, and team all need to be united in their approach. I don't think Haskins will ever be a top ten QB, but he doesn't have to be to be successful. If he's a top twenty QB the team can be successful.

@gardenman 

What you say is normally true about young QBs these days and its good to learn by playing but what is unique about Haskins is he's only had 171 plays on offense from his freshman year... And he needs time to get his fundamentals down before throwing him to the "wolves".  Haskins struggled with things like calling plays and getting to the line of scrimmage in correct formations, and his footwork in spring camp. He just needs to learn the speed of the NFL, which is challenging, and the depth of the offensive system, which is daunting. He's smart but it will take him time to learn before he's ready to go...His experience is just too limited....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Dolphins defensive tackle Kendrick Norton had to have his left arm amputated following an accident between his truck and a Maserati. Paramedics had to remove his arm at the scene to be able to remove him from the wreckage. That would not be fun for anyone involved.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Eli Manning says he's not rushing into retirement. (He may not have much of a choice in the matter though. He didn't look sharp in the OTA's according to most reports.) He wants to keep playing for as long as he can. I don't blame him for that, but given his recent performance and inability to get the ball down the field accurately, he may not have much of a choice. He had a high completion percentage for a lot of yardage last year, but most of it came on the dink and dunk style of passing. If you can't challenge a defense down the field, they'll start cheating up and take away those dinks and dunks. It's the threat of the long ball that keeps defenses honest. If you don't have that, you're in big trouble. The Giants' braintrust added more dink and dunk receivers this year and traded away their down the field threat (OBJ.) That short, middle of the field area is going to start getting very crowded with three receivers, four DB's and three or four linebackers all in there. Finding an open receiver in that maze of players will be a challenge.

And the Giants are apt to be playing from behind quite a bit. They have no pass rushers of note this year. They've invested heavily in defensive backs in the belief that covering receivers is better than rushing passers. In a perfect world you'd do both. In a less perfect world you generally prioritize getting to the QB. (At least since the 85 Bears.) Big receivers can box out DB's and make the catch no matter how good the coverage.

The Giants are breaking with convention in several ways this year. No deep ball threat. All slot type receivers. No pass rushers. They'll either be on the leading edge of what will be a trend, or they'll be drafting very, very high next year with a new head coach and GM. I'm leaning more towards the new head coach and GM side of that equation. Even having a Saquon Barkley doesn't help a lot if the box is full of defenders looking to take away the short passing game. If you've got a deep passing game a safety and corner are automatically out of the box on runing plays making it easier on the back. If all eleven defenders are at or near the line of scrimmage, there's no where for a back to go.

Both the Cardinals and Giants will be interesting to watch. Both are taking new approaches to the game. I'm not optimistic about either of their chances however.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Patriots great Tedy Bruschi had another stroke yesterday. This makes me so sad, I hope for the best for his recovery. He recognized the symptoms right away so that was a positive for fast treatment.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

The good news for Tedy Bruschi is it was just a TIA or mini-stroke and recovery is quick and easy from those. The bads news is they're often a precursor for a larger stroke. He'll likely be on blood thinners for a bit and may have to have some surgery to clear out any narrowing of his arteries. If there's a specific narrowing in an artery in the brain that's causing the stroke, a stent can be inserted and open up the narrowing to lessen the chance of a future stroke. It's a somewhat risky procedure, but if it prevents a big stroke, it's often worth the risk.

Randy Gregory of the Cowboys is applying for reinstatement already. He just got his fourth and "indefinite" suspension in February, so I suspect this will be a tad quick to be reinstated. Bearing in mind he's missed no real paychecks or games since his last ones. A suspension without cost isn't that much of a deterrent. I've got to think the league will want him to miss some playing time after a fourth suspension. I suspect they might allow him to be reinstated after the eighth game of the regular season if he stays clean. That would seem somewhat reasonable to me.

All quiet on the Eagles front. No more word of a possible Agholor trade to Jacksonville. It kind of makes sense for both teams however. Foles and Agholor have a connection. The Jags need more receiver help. The Eagles will cut a few guys who could start in the league. The two teams will only meet in a meaningful game if both teams make the Super Bowl. Agholor will be a free agent after this year and will likely move on. The Eagles have lots of talented young guys on the roster to replace him with at a fraction of his pricetag. If it doesn't happen early in training camp it may happen towards the end of camp. We'll have to see.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Josh Doctson will most likely have some team willing to take a chance on him if he enters free agency. 

I don't know what the best solution is for the Redskin's QB situation.  Colt McCoy could improve enough to be considered, also. I doubt Alex Smih would be ready this year, so what to do about him? The team will have a few decisions to make.

@teganslaw 

I saw some NFL discussions and predictions and some feel in the AFC the team to challenge the Patriots and their biggest threat is your COLTS!!!! 😊

It will be interesting to see what happens to Doctson. He sure has been a disappointment, if he has a decent year another team might take him ...but I dont think he will get big bucks....

Alex Smith is still wearing that contraption that looks like what I call a tomato cage, he's out for 2019 from what I read..In May he did visit spring camp to support teammates  (hear that Kawhi, he was injured but still supported his teammates..unlike some people😒 ).I wish Alex the best in his recovery he is a great guy from what I read...but he might not even be able to play football again...we will have to wait and see going forward in 2020....and there's the business side of it all and the impact on the Redskin's salary cap....

Colt hasnt been ready because of an additional surgery....I dont know if he will even be ready for training camp and even get a shot as starter ...Gruden has said its going to be an open competition.  So far Case has the lead, but that could change when they put on pads ...poor Colt I like him, but the guy seems to have nothing but bad breaks....no pun intended...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Dolphins defensive tackle Kendrick Norton had to have his left arm amputated following an accident between his truck and a Maserati. Paramedics had to remove his arm at the scene to be able to remove him from the wreckage. That would not be fun for anyone involved.

@gardenman 

What a sad sad tragedy....I wonder if alcohol was involved...haven't seen any other specifics other than what you said....

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Patriots great Tedy Bruschi had another stroke yesterday. This makes me so sad, I hope for the best for his recovery. He recognized the symptoms right away so that was a positive for fast treatment.

@Greeneyedlady21 

So sad, my prayers go out to him for a full recovery...he seems like such a nice guy...