Esteemed Contributor

Thought I'd start a new thread since it's already July. 

We'll probably hear later about Elliott's meeting with Goodall. I think that it will end in some suspension for Zeke. 

WR Parris Campbell has impressed at OTAs. He has a skill set and is good with yards after catch. Ballard was high on Campbell's talents on college, and it looks like he won't disappoint. Barring injuries, could turn out to be a good draft choice for the Colts.

Analysts have been saying for months that Agholar might go to another team. Jacksonville could be the one because of certain connections. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for July 2019!!

The big test for Parris Campbell will be training camp when the pads go on. He's a speed guy and they tend to look really good until the pads go on and DB's start getting their hands on them. It typically takes the speed guys a year or two to adjust. Learning the subtleties of the wide receiver position is an ongoing proposition for those guys. If you've got his kind of speed college football is typically pretty easy as DB's play way off. Adjusting to tight man coverage in the NFL, where a DB is grabbing you at the line is a challenge for the speed guys. 

JJ Arcega-Whiteside, the Eagles rookie wideout wasn't blessed with blazing speed, so he had to learn how to mess with a DB's footwork, use his body to shield them off, and fight his way through coverage to succeed in college. It's almost like speed receivers and the less fast receivers play a completely different position in college. Their adjustment to the NFL is also completely different. The speed guys like a John Ross (21 catches since being drafted) have a hard time adjusting. The slower guys who had to defeat DB's all through college tend to have three or four years experience coming into the NFL so there's less of an adjustment.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

There's some talk that a new CBA could be hammered out between the players and owners before the 2019 season starts. That would be a bit surprising, but good. The old one expires after the 2020 season, so getting a new one eighteen months before the old one ends would be good. They've been talking for several months, so the framework might already be in place. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I don't think Elliott will get a suspension based on the language the NFL.com website is using to describe the incident. They describe his contact with the security guard as a "nudge." Had they said he "violently shoved" or "angrily shoved" the security guard a suspension would be more likely. Using the word "nudge" on their official website makes it seem less likely. Nudge is more like you jab someone using your elbow to draw their attention only to have them stumble and fall down. The use of the word nudge instead of shove along with Elliott's apology probably means no suspension.

July is the semi-official supsension month in the NFL though, so expect some suspensions to come down to some players with no advance warning.

The Eagles open training camp three weeks from today! The season is coming fast now. It'll be here and halfway done before you know it. I swear the months of September, November, December and January fly by in a blink of an eye, but then the offseason drags on forever.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Jared Lorenzen, the former backup QB of the Giants died at age 38. I wasn't sure he wasn't still kicking around the league someplace, but apparently not. He was huge at 6'-4" and around 285 pounds. He had a cannon for an arm but with Eli ahead of him never had much of a chance as a Giant.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Goodall said that Elliott didn't violate the NFL's rules of conduct, so he wasn't suspended. I wonder if Elliott will realize how close he came, and will straighten up. . He did apologize, but actions speak louder than words. Most likely the nFL will keep a close watch on Zeke from now on. He can't afford to mess up again. 

Wishing everyone here a Happy Fourth!

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The NFL kind of foretold that he wouldn't be suspended when they described it as a nudge. Had they called it a shove or push, he might have been in trouble. A nudge, not so much.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happy Indepence Day Everyone!  Have an enjoyable and safe 4th of July....

D-ooDuTXsAAOeBN.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Looking ahead to the  Pro Football Hall of Fame Ceremony--

The Class of 2019 that will be inducted later this summer includes former Redskins cornerback Champ Bailey along with Pat Bowlen, Gil Brandt, Tony Gonzalez, Ty Law, Kevin Mawae, Ed Reed and Johnny Robinson.

Players eligible for the first time in 2020 include Steelers safety Troy Polamalu and Colts receiver Reggie Wayne.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is finalizing plans to induct 20 new members in its Class of 2020 to celebrate the NFL’s centennial next year, rather than its normal maximum of eight inductees.

The Hall of Fame’s operating board must give the plan its final approval Aug. 2 for it to pass, but Hall of Fame president and CEO David Baker sketched out what a 20-member class would look like in a radio interview Monday.

“This year we have eight, so this would be quite a few guys,” Baker said, “but it would be the five normal modern-era players elected from 15 finalists and then 10 seniors, three contributors and two [coaches]. But again, I want to stress that that’s got to be something that’s passed by our board on Friday, Aug. 2.”

Having 10 seniors instead of one or two would bode well for someone like Redskins left tackle Joe Jacoby, a three-time finalist for the Hall of Fame who recently passed into the senior committee’s purview rather than the modern-era group.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Redskin WR Josh Doctson said he's thinking about exploring free agency next year---Good luck with that he hasn't shown much of anything in his short career except being on IR!!! Woman Frustrated

A big question for the Redskins when camp starts is figuring out who will start opposite Landon Collins....Montae Nicholson has the speed, but he's had injury issues and an off the field issue...Other options are--Troy Apeke and Deshazor Everette...and UDFA  Jojo McIntosh....The secondary should be improved and make a difference on defense this year

Of course the big big question...who should start at QB...My take Keenum should start this year and let Haskins sit and learn...One columnist agreed with this strategy because if Case performs poorly the fans will have someone's name to chant for after they boo Case.....😆😆😆