Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News for July 2019!!

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw 

The cost of living overall in Texas is much less than most of the U.S.(especially the cost of homes) and no state income tax---YAY!!!  Houston has lost its former attractions that made it unique and it has changed, and not for the better...We used to go to Houston Oiler games in the Astrodome that was billed as one of the unique wonders of the world.....and in that same parking lot....the Amusement Park, Astroworld....but they became obsolete....Now Houston is known for its TRAFFIC CONGESTION and HUMIDITY!!!!....Its downtown is known for its stinky fountains since the homeless use them as their restroom...The only thing H Town has going for it is their sport's teams....It's the most hated city in Texas...

It's odd to see commercials in our city trying to attract us to come as a vacation destination, but its nothing special....We have more things to do in our own town, the only reason to go to Houston is the MLB or the NFL ...

Oh we do go to Houston for NFL games, a Music Concert (Houston was the only appearance in Texas), Women's Conferences, Gigantic Arts & Craft Shows...and we have a good time.  And personally I do like Houston much better than the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex Area with everything so spread out and far away from eaĉh other (events, shopping, hotels, good restaraunts--even NFL draft and Super Bowl-- bit of a flop), then theres traffic and toll roads...and boring scenery and of course I dont like their NFL team..LOL ...Smiley Wink 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The Amazon Prime series "All or Nothing: the Carolina Panthers" is very good. I like that Panthers coaching staff a lot. Last year the Cowboys were featured and their coaches were kind of pathetic, or appeared so in the series. Ron Rivera and his staff look a lot better. The coaches are holding the players accountable. The players are holding one another accountable. They seemed like a very solid team. I've watched the first five episodes so far and it's been good.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

The Amazon Prime series "All or Nothing: the Carolina Panthers" is very good. I like that Panthers coaching staff a lot. Last year the Cowboys were featured and their coaches were kind of pathetic, or appeared so in the series. Ron Rivera and his staff look a lot better. The coaches are holding the players accountable. The players are holding one another accountable. They seemed like a very solid team. I've watched the first five episodes so far and it's been good.

@gardenman 

I heard that series was good..but I dont have Prime....But based on other interviews, I think I'll take Ron Rivera anyday over Jason "Jerry's puppet" Garrett......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah, in last year's version featuring the Cowboys the coaches were more being cheerleaders and friends to the players rather than coaches. Sean Lee was the only guy really shown doing any coaching and he's not a coach. Ron Rivera and his staff seem much more competent.

By the way, can sign up for Prime for just a month from time to time to catch up on stuff there in binges. All four NFL seasons of "All or Nothing" have been very good. Year one was the Cards with Bruce Arians, then the Rams with Jeff Fisher, last year the Cowboys and now the Panthers. It's a really good series.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

We got rid of our cable because of the cost. So no NFL Network or ESPN. I can get the games on my local channels and can watch videos online so it's not too much of a loss. I quit watching GMF anyway because I don't care about the analysts on that show. 

@teganslaw 

I dont blame you.  I think I'm paying a lot and there's really not much on worth watching except my fav sports and a couple other channels .😒...We are a bit lucky--- our COA hooked up with an independent cable company that promised to be lower than Spectrum  AT&T, Direct TV, Dish etc......I heard on the news a lot of people were cancelling Netflix too since the price increased...In order to keep the few channels I do watch, it would cost more to cut the chord, this is crazy and satellites are cutting local broadcasts, so a lot of people are going back to antennas....everything old is new again...😡

I'm not a fan of GMF either, but I do like some of the ESPN analysts...Jeff Saturday, Damien Woody, Ryan Clark, Tedy Bruschi (I hope he fully recovers from his stroke-- so sad), ....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Yeah, in last year's version featuring the Cowboys the coaches were more being cheerleaders and friends to the players rather than coaches. Sean Lee was the only guy really shown doing any coaching and he's not a coach. Ron Rivera and his staff seem much more competent.

By the way, can sign up for Prime for just a month from time to time to catch up on stuff there in binges. All four NFL seasons of "All or Nothing" have been very good. Year one was the Cards with Bruce Arians, then the Rams with Jeff Fisher, last year the Cowboys and now the Panthers. It's a really good series.

@gardenman @teganslaw 

The Cowboy fans here call Garrett "The Clapper" because that's all he seems to do, more of a cheerleader than a coach....😆

I've had 3 bad experiences with Amazon, so I'm done with them...so no Prime for me...and not a fan of CEO Bezos either....

Péyton Manning started a show, "Peyton's Place" on ESPN Plus  streaming service on July 15th 30 episode series, but I think the cost is way too high.......I wonder why he chose that route its a shame...he shouldn't be hurting for money...I really enjoy Peyton, his wit and sense of humor...

Where is NFL Films now that we really need them...R.I.P....Ed and Steve Sabol Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

The difference was striking. Bruce Arians and his staff coached the heck out of the Cards. Jeff Fisher and his staff coached pretty hard before getting fired. Ron Rivera and his staff coached the Panthers well. The Cowboys? Not so much. The most coaching you saw came from Sean Lee trying to coach up the linebackers. Now, maybe it was the editing, but we saw next to nothing from the Cowboys' coaches.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Dmr-HsMUYAEByys.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

The difference was striking. Bruce Arians and his staff coached the heck out of the Cards. Jeff Fisher and his staff coached pretty hard before getting fired. Ron Rivera and his staff coached the Panthers well. The Cowboys? Not so much. The most coaching you saw came from Sean Lee trying to coach up the linebackers. Now, maybe it was the editing, but we saw next to nothing from the Cowboys' coaches.

@gardenman 

Bruce Arians is a good coach---- maybe he can make something out of Winston and turn the Bucs around.....

Sean Lee is like that ----coaching up his teammates, I think that's why the Cowboys keep him around despite his injury history....he's started only 72 games (4-1/2 years) of a possible 128 games. 

Cowboys’ defensive coordinator Rod Mainrelli said, 

“Lee's back in the office staying up at night watching stuff and helping guys, giving pointers. Out on the field talking to guys. I hope all of you realize you’re around something really special. Not just a special player, that’s a special man. That’s how the game should be.”

Lee has continued to help lead the defense even while sidelined. Smith said Lee never stops helping his teammates.

“Even when he’s playing he’s a second coach, first coach, third coach. All of that,” he said. “He’s a special talent.”

Speaking of the Cowboys......

The Cowboys report for camp in five days. Zeke may or may not be there. Per a league source, Elliott currently is believed to be making plans for a trip out of the country.....interesting....

@teganslaw  @gardenman 

People are choosing the Colts and Eagles as top playoff teams and possibly teams in the Super Bowl...

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Elliott will be interesting to watch. Given how vocal and open the Cowboys were about their plans, (run him into the ground on his fifth year option, tag him once or twice, then throw him away) he'd be kind of stupid to play under his current contract. They need him a lot more than he needs them.

I think the Eagles will be better this year, injuries permitting. Last year was staggeringly bad from an injury standpoint. Anytime you use thirteen starting cornerbacks in a sixteen game season you know you're in trouble. (In a normal year we only carry five or six on the roster.) We were literally signing guys off the street and starting them. The depth is better on both offense and defense and we're going into camp pretty much completely healthy. Things can change in a heartbeat, but for now, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Eagles chances.

I think the Colts will be good, but I need to see Andrew Luck throwing the ball deeper and with more velocity on it this year before I'd rate them too highly. He seemed to get stronger as the season went on last year, but he still wasn't his vintage self. 

In the AFC the Patriots are going to be tough to beat. Losing Gronk will hurt them a lot and I'm not sure they've found anyone close to replacing him. He's a special kind of player and there just aren't a lot of them floating around. I wouldn't be shocked to see them swing a trade for a bona fide high-end tight end (Jordan Reed perhaps?) sometime in training camp. Reed is pricey and injury prone, but when healthy and playing well, he's very good. Not a Gronk, but about as close as you can get at this point of the season. A second round pick might be enough to woo him away from the Redskins.

I like the Browns too. Mayfield is the type of QB to put a team on his shoulders and just carry them if need be. They've amassed a ton of talent around him too. Jarvis Landry and OBJ on the field at the same time should be illegal. Defenses will have to keep two safeties deep and that opens up the running game and underneath passing game. They're going to score a lot of points.

Fun teams to watch that I have no clue what they'll be are the Cards, Niners, Bucs,  Dolphins, Broncos, Raiders, Bengals, Giants, Redskins, and Steelers. Any of those teams could sneak into the playoffs, or be drafting first overall next year. You just don't know. The Steelers gave up Bell and AB. That's got to hurt them. The Redskins, Giants, Dolphins, and to some extent the Broncos are in QB limbo. They all have a QB but do they have "their guy?" The Cards and Kliff Kingsbury will be fascinating to watch. They'll be a boom or bust team. My money is on bust. The Niners are an engima. Each year we think they'll be good, but they come up short. The Raiders, well, they're the Raiders. The Bengals will finally see what life is like with a new head coach.

It's going to be a fun year to watch the NFL. I'm pretty optimistic about the Eagles.The big question mark is still Carson Wentz. We need him to stay healthy. Nate Sudfeld is a competent backup, but he's no Wentz.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!