Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for September!!!

Chip hates the media. He'd be perfectly happy to have them all disappear. I was just watching his press conference and the reporters kept pestering him about the health of Zach Ertz and Cody Parkey, so finally Chip told them that Ertz wasn't hurt and hadn't had surgery but was secretly training to be our third QB and kicker. Chip is a lot smarter than the press and likes to play with them.

The Eagles roster now stands at 52, so speculation is the extra spot is for a QB. The name that's floating around the most is Christian Ponder. That could be a misdirection though. We'll find out over the next few days.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Chip hates the media. He'd be perfectly happy to have them all disappear. I was just watching his press conference and the reporters kept pestering him about the health of Zach Ertz and Cody Parkey, so finally Chip told them that Ertz wasn't hurt and hadn't had surgery but was secretly training to be our third QB and kicker. Chip is a lot smarter than the press and likes to play with them.

The Eagles roster now stands at 52, so speculation is the extra spot is for a QB. The name that's floating around the most is Christian Ponder. That could be a misdirection though. We'll find out over the next few days.

@gardenman  So Chip apparently went to the Gregg Popovich Charm School For Media Relations. Smiley Wink

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some interesting developments regarding "team turmoil" aka the Redskins. 

You will probably remember the confusing reports regarding RGIII's concussion---well it seems that the doctor who reversed the report has resigned from the consultant program operated by the NFL and NFLPA.  BUT he will still monitor Griffin's status and determine when he can be cleared to play---And the NFL/NFLPA has a new neurological consultant assigned to the Redskins, Andrew Kader- BTW the team is STILL waiting for the report as of Saturday evening.....Woman Frustrated

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13590953/concussion-doctor-robert-kurtzke-handled-robert-griffin-i...

Then there's various reports on why RGIII was not released---

One report said that the Redskins could not trade or cut Griffin until he was medically cleared to play........Once he is cleared then the team can decide whether he will be the 2nd or 3rd string QB......And if he is chosen as the 3rd QB instead of the 2nd, then a lot of Cousins looking over his shoulder, as well as the drama dissipates. 

Another report said that RGIII making the 53 man roster doesn't seal his fate for this season.  The team could still make a trade or if a player clears the waiver for a key position that the Redskins really need they could cut Griffin to make room.....

Still another report indicates the reason they kept Griffin on the roster is there is a lack of confidence in whether Cousins can do the job, and some feel McCoy does not have the arm strength, and the team also worried about where RGIII would land if he was cut.. .....Still, if RGIII gets hurt and doesn't pass the physical in 2016, then the team is stuck with the 16 mill which is 10% of their cap space. .

Of course you can go with the final report from Clayton which points the finger at Snyder!!!

STAY TUNED....TLC should sign the team for the next reality show Woman FrustratedWoman Embarassed

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw  I saw where Reggie Wayne was released by the Patriots and supposedly Reggie asked to be released because he said the work enviornment was tough and that playing for the Patriots was not fun......interesting.

Esteemed Contributor

There is speculation that Reggie Wayne may have clashed with Bell Belichick's style of coaching. or that he didn't like the atmosphere in New England. The only thing Wayne said was that it was "tough" for him and he seemed to have problems learning the playbook, which is different from Indy's. No one knows exactly what happened to make him want out. Belichick has nothing but praise for Wayne, the whole situation is a bit strange.

I think that at this point it's best if Reggie Wayne retires. He is definitely bound for the HOF, but his best years are behind him IMO. The recent injury has made things more difficult, and  it's time to hang it up.

Washington is interesting. Always something going on with that team. Now RG111 is third string quarterback. Wait until a few days when more there is more news.

Philadelphia is also entertaining. The media is going crazy trying to figure out what Chip Kelly is doing next. One thing for sure: Kelly isn't boring.

The Colts kept Vick Ballard despite his injuries. He is a good running back, just wish that he could stay healthy. Duron Carter was cut. He didn't get much playing time, although did quite well in the last pre season game. Carter might end up on the practice squad, but there are other teams who are interested in him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go elsewhere.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

There is speculation that Reggie Wayne may have clashed with Bell Belichick's style of coaching. or that he didn't like the atmosphere in New England. The only thing Wayne said was that it was "tough" for him and he seemed to have problems learning the playbook, which is different from Indy's. No one knows exactly what happened to make him want out. Belichick has nothing but praise for Wayne, the whole situation is a bit strange.

I think that at this point it's best if Reggie Wayne retires. He is definitely bound for the HOF, but his best years are behind him IMO. The recent injury has made things more difficult, and  it's time to hang it up.

Washington is interesting. Always something going on with that team. Now RG111 is third string quarterback. Wait until a few days when more there is more news.

Philadelphia is also entertaining. The media is going crazy trying to figure out what Chip Kelly is doing next. One thing for sure: Kelly isn't boring.

The Colts kept Vick Ballard despite his injuries. He is a good running back, just wish that he could stay healthy. Duron Carter was cut. He didn't get much playing time, although did quite well in the last pre season game. Carter might end up on the practice squad, but there are other teams who are interested in him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go elsewhere.

@teganslaw  Hi TEGAN!  How are you?  I think your right, I think Reggie just got to the point in his career that he just needs to retire rather than starting his career over with a new team and a entirely new system, and that whole scenario was a bit strange too......I hope he makes it to the HOF......  I'm still waiting for one of the main Redskin Hogs, Joe Jacoby to get in the Hall.....he's made the first preliminary cut a couple of times,  but unfortunately not the final yet!!!! 

Bill Belichick might have thought he's found a way to handle the media, BUT I think Chip Kelly has taken it to a whole new level---he really keeps them guessing....LOL!

As for Carter it must be tough being the son of a Hall Of Famer, lots of expectations and added pressure to succeed......

Honored Contributor

I suspect the Redskins think the same way thing we do and that's that Jerry Jones would snatch up RGIII given the chance. That would be a nightmare for Snyder to have RGIII mature into a franchise QB for the Cowboys.

I think we'll know more about the Eagles' plan after noon today when waiver claims are announced. Rumor has it the Eagles want Christian Ponder and if they put in a claim for him and were the lowest rated team to claim him, he could be an Eagle then. That could all be a decoy though. They could be trying to trade for someone, or have something else in the works. It's not like this organization to let their true intentions leak out and Ponder's never really impressed me, so I'm leaning towards that being a decoy.

At noon players who have been claimed off waivers will be announced and after one practice squad players can be signed. Expect more roster shuffling between now and Tuesday too.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

I suspect the Redskins think the same way thing we do and that's that Jerry Jones would snatch up RGIII given the chance. That would be a nightmare for Snyder to have RGIII mature into a franchise QB for the Cowboys.

I think we'll know more about the Eagles' plan after noon today when waiver claims are announced. Rumor has it the Eagles want Christian Ponder and if they put in a claim for him and were the lowest rated team to claim him, he could be an Eagle then. That could all be a decoy though. They could be trying to trade for someone, or have something else in the works. It's not like this organization to let their true intentions leak out and Ponder's never really impressed me, so I'm leaning towards that being a decoy.

At noon players who have been claimed off waivers will be announced and after one practice squad players can be signed. Expect more roster shuffling between now and Tuesday too.

@gardenman  Yep, I bet the Redskins are thinking Jerrah would pick up RGIII.....or I even heard a discussion that Chip possibly would, although I just don't see that happening.....

After the Redskins final 53 man roster was completed---

The Redskins have revised THE SMURFS---not the blue cartoon kind---nope, the Smurf receivers that graced the team in the 80's.......Out of the 6 WR's only one is over 6ft!!!  I hope they are as successful as the old Smurfs (the WRS and not the cartoon)  Smiley Happy

Kerrigan had orthoscopic surgery in June, and he must stay healthy because the ranks are thin at the LB position.  This could be a position where they could scan the waiver wires....

The team is solid at the RB position with  Morris, Matt Jones, and the versatile Chris Thompson..... Of course the secondary continues to be a concern and with Breeland on suspension for the first game (marijuana)  didnt help matters.....although Jarrett impressed coaches with his quick learning ability to learn both safety positions and they can use him as a nickel back.  Then there's the CBs --- another position the Redskins could scan waivers for.....

The OL is a work in progress--The Redskins kept 10 linemen, last year they kept 9.  Youngsters Scherff and Moses will start. Second-year pro Spencer Long survived cutdown day despite having a poor outing in the preseason finale, and getting demoted from starting right guard a week into training camp. But he has enough upside that coaches didn’t want to part with him for now. Kouandjio isn’t as game-ready as Long, but could wind up being more of an impact player. Nsekhe has potential as well. He overtook Willie Smith and has lined up at both left and right tackle. Compton’s ability to play three line positions and tight end earned him a spot. Another area the Redskin could upgrade with a waiver cut player...

Honored Contributor

The Christian Ponder rumors were in fact a decoy. The Eagles claimed Stephen Morris, the QB from the Jags instead. He started for Miami when Jeff Stoutland, the Eagles offensive line coach, was with Miami, so the Eagles know him pretty well. His highlights show him playing in a style similar to how our QB's should perform. He made quick reads, was accurate, had mobility, good arm strength, and was fast. The kid has potential.

None of the guys the Eagles cut were claimed and several have already been signed to the practice squad.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The local media, which have been convinced the Chip Kelly as GM experiment would be a catastrophic mistake, are eating a bit of crow now that they're looking at the 53 man roster. The roster looks stronger across the board and the team looks better. Chip cut/traded five pro bowl players and the team somehow got better. (On paper anyway. We'll find out how it translates into wins and losses starting next Monday night.)

It looks like Nick Saban is planning to rejoin the NFL next year. I suspect Chip's success is part of the inspiration for that. Expect him to be a hot commodity after the season. He wants to join a team with a franchise QB. I'm thinking he might be eyeing the Colts, Giants, Patriots, Raiders, Titans and Bucs as possible landing spots. Belichick certainly won't be fired but there have been whispers that he's tiring and may want to move on. The other jobs all have franchise, or potential franchise quarterbacks, and could all open up this off season. Whoever gets Saban will impress their fan base. Whether that translates into wins and losses will have to be seen, but it should be an interesting off season.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!