Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for September 2020!!!

The players the Eagles released Friday all cleared waivers, so they can now be signed to the practice squad. There's some talk that the Eagles released them early so it was more likely they'd clear waivers as other teams were focused on cutting guys instead of adding guys. It worked. Now the Eagles can stash the guys on the practice squad. Even if another team targets one now, the Eagles can outbid them and keep the guy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

DeShaun Watson is reportedly signing a $177 million four year deal with $111 million guaranteed. That sobbing sound you hear coming from Dallas is Jerry Jones hearing the news. Watson is getting paid a lot, and only over four years. Dak has a new blueprint for his deal. He's been wanting a four year deal while JJ has insisted on a longer one. Now Watson getting a four year deal helps Dak.

@gardenman 

🤣🤣🤣🤣  Jerry better start lining up more sponsors to help pay for Dak's upcoming contract, gee maybe he will have to sell his yacht!.... I wonder if Dak sent DeShaun a thank you card.....😉

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Dallas has to really recalculate things this offseason. Do they pay Dak, or let him walk? Ironically, if they'd signed him as early as possible, they've have likely extended him for $25-$30 million a year and everyone would be happy. Now we're looking at a floor of $40 million a year and with guys like Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, and Kyler Murray in line for extensions soon, the price will just keep getting higher. Lamar Jackson might get close to $50 million a year. Dallas has handled this as badly as possible. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

You were right....the Eagles are trying to trade Alshon Jeffery....Although some doubt a trade will be found considering his contract and injury history

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman 

You were right....the Eagles are trying to trade Alshon Jeffery....Although some doubt a trade will be found considering his contract and injury history

The final (for now anyway) roster is done and a few surprises for the Eagles. Alshon's on the active roster and not on the PUP list. The Eagles kept Genard Avery at defensive end despite a very unimpressive camp and let Joe Ostman and Shareef Miller go, who both looked good at defensive end. They only kept two tight ends and three runningbacks. I'd expect both of those positions to be added to in the coming days. Prince Tega-Wanogha was let go. I suspect they're planning to stash him on the practice squad. Sydney Jones who was reportedly a top ten player in the draft a few years back before tearing his achilles never quite had the light go on and he's gone. Rasul Douglas is also gone at corner. Rasul has good size and instincts, just lacks speed.

The roster will change a bit over coming days as players get shuffled around a bit. The Eagles kept seven safeties which is odd. Four is a more typical number for the team. I'm not sure what to make of that. No huge surprises other than Avery making the roster. I think everyone thought he was gone.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Players released by the Colts:

Chase McLaughlin (Blankenship surpassed him the kicker competition)

QB Chad Kelly (drafting Eason made Kelly the odd man out.)

WR Marcus Johnson (drafting Pittman, same thing) 

A few might end up on the practice squad. 

Dak Prescott must be paying a lot of attention to Watson's contract. Thursday Night Football opener will be known as the meeting of the billionaire QBs. (Close too, anyway.)

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Teams are all at 53 players today, but at noon that could all change as waiver claims are announced. Any team that put ion a claim on a waived guy will then have to flush a guy off their roster for each guy they claimed off of waivers. There will be a bit of chaos at noon, then at one PM ET the practice squad players can be signed and the rosters finalized. (Well, as finalized as rosters ever get in the NFL.) Players waived today to make room for guys claimed could spark a new wave of roster moves tomorrow also. There are maybe forty guys on the 53 man roster who are safe no matter what and the rest are living in a constant state of limbo each week as they cling to an NFL career.

The Eagles brought back eight of the guys they'd cut on Friday for a physical and evaluation which indicates those eight are likely heading to the practice squad and the Eagles were just reassuring them of that.

Jadeveon Clowney seems to be signing with the Titans, but until it's done, you can't say for sure. Expect lots of leftover free agents to be signing this week for bargain prices. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@redwingsgal @gardenman @teganslaw 

Adrian Peterson ended up signing with the Lions! 

In the rebuild process Coach Rivera wants to start with a foundation of a young team. Rivera said he sees a lot of young talent on the roster. He said one of the problems at the end of his run in Carolina was that the team got old. All 8 of Washington’s draft picks made the team, along with UDFA WR Isaiah Wright who has shown a lot of promise.

@sunshine45 

Clowney said he really wanted to play for the Ravens, but their reception was lukewarm .....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@redwingsgal @gardenman @teganslaw 

Adrian Peterson ended up signing with the Lions! 

That's an interesting choice. I kind of peg the Lions to be a bottom tier team this year. McKissic went from the Lions to the WFTs and now Peterson is going from the WFTs to the Lions. I wonder what McKissic said about the Lions that helped Peterson make that call? Those two likely talked a lot in the RB room about things. Does McKissic think highly of the Lions but wanted more money than they'd offer him? Did that influence Peterson's choice of teams? It would be very interesting to know how much those two talked about the Lions and what was said. 

I just don't see the Lions being all that competitive this year. Does McKissic have a different read? Is Peterson just playing for the money? I would have named about ten other teams he'd sign with before the Lions, but with McKissic now a WFT after being a Lions' RB, he could have influenced Peterson's decision. Peterson should have a pretty good read on who the Lions are from being around McKissic. Maybe he's what the Lions have been missing? It's an interesting choice.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Well its official Clowney is a TITAN!!!!  Per a source with knowledge of the terms, Clowney’s compensation of “up to” $15 million on a one-year deal with the Titans includes a promise not to use the franchise tag in 2021.  It means that, if Clowney’s reunion with Titans coach Mike Vrabel results in a great season for Clowney, he’ll be eligible for the open market.

And what the heck are the Cowboys doing.....they signed former Packer WR Malik Turner.....WR was a Cowboy strength and they kept 6 WRS on their roster, meanwhile ignoring their holes on defense...but better for us in the NFC East! WTG Jerrah!

And the Buc signed QB Josh Rosen to the practice squad...