Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for September 2020!!!

The Eagles made the first of their cuts yesterday with a few surprises. All three of the deep backup RB's got cut. I'd figured they'd carry four on the roster this year, but are now down to just three. Adrian Killins was kind of a surprise cut at RB. He was an RB, WR, and kick returner and the fastest guy on the team. I'd had him penciled in for a roster spot. He's likely to end up on the practice squad if no one claims him. Guys who can fill multiple roles tend to hang around a bit.

Safety Grayland Arnold was another surprise cut. According to press reports he'd been having a very good camp. The same with wide receiver Deontay Burnett. Center Luke Juriga was another surprise cut. He had a good camp and was among the highest-paid undrafted free agents. All of those guys could and likely will end up on the practice squad.

More cuts will be coming. I kind of wonder if the Eagles will add another RB to the roster after other teams make cuts. The Jets have been a bit decimated at wide receiver in camp and the rumor of Alshon Jeffery going there has come back to life. That was first rumored back in February/March. He'd give Sam Darnold a big target. Don't be shocked if you hear more of that. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The Colts signed C Ryan Kelly to a four year 50 million dollar contract. This makes him the highest paid center in the NFL. Kelly is worth the money, as he has always played to a high level. 

New Orleans is focused on getting Jadeveon Clowney. He has been in talks with the Saints organization. 

Surprised to see that Adrian Peterson was released. He was the #1 RB and had a good season in 2019. Maybe the WFT is going younger? 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I was also surprised to see the WFT move on from Peterson, especially after getting rid of Guice earlier. There's not a lot of veteran leadership in the RB room now. McKissic is arguably their most experienced guy, but he's more of a pass-catching back than a pure runner. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

I was also surprised to see the WFT move on from Peterson, especially after getting rid of Guice earlier. There's not a lot of veteran leadership in the RB room now. McKissic is arguably their most experienced guy, but he's more of a pass-catching back than a pure runner. 

@teganslaw  @gardenman  

That was a SHOCKER to me too, especially with the loss of Guice....AP's salary was very cap friendly too 2.25 mill....will create $750,000 in dead money....Rivera previouslly made a comment that  he's not afraid to play the rookies, but it seems AP would have provided veteran leadership and be a mentor to the young guys. 

These are our remaining RBS---Antonio GibsonBryce LovePeyton Barber and J.D. McKissic 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

It's an 'interesting' move by the WFT. Peyton Barber has been described as a plodding back. Not necessarily the description you want for a running back. His yards per carry have decreased every year he's been in the league. Bryce Love has all kinds of potential, but health could be an issue. Antonio Gibson is their third round pick rookie and drafted to be another Christian McCaffrey. Eh, that's not so easy. If he truly was another Christian McCaffrey, he'd have been gone in round one. McKissic is more of a role player as a pass catching back.

AP was a heck of a player for them, but I guess the theory is the WFT are rebuilding and by the time they're where they want to be, he'd be too old. Guys like Kerrigan seeing a productive guy get cut because of age start to look around and wonder if they're next. It can alter the dynamics of a team in a hurry. AP had been the starter all through camp and productive, now he's gone. Who's next?

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

From what I read the young rookie, Antonio Gibson, turned heads and stood out consistently in training camp. He just seemed to acclimate and fit right in....(some say much like Terry McLaurin....)

Bite your tongue, they just can't get rid of my guy, Kerrigan, Sharknado "star"...... 😉  When Rivera was hired some speculated whether Kerrigan would survive .....but apparently he impressed the coaches in his new role .....still with his age and salary it looks like his career could be coming to a close in the near future....but I hope its not for awhile yet.....

Well at least it looks like AP has a good chance to hook up with another team....several teams have inquired already.....

In other NFL news it looks like the Titans have put in an offer for Clowney.....the Saints and Seahawks are other suitors....but whats stopping Clowney from getting signed is he's insisting on getting more than 15 mill a year despite his injury history......STAY TUNED!

Things dont looks so good for the Boyz---

Cowboys will place Sean Lee and possibly Jordan Lewis on IR.....Lee, 34, did not practice during training camp because of an undisclosed injury. Reports say Lee was diagnosed with a sports hernia during the strength and conditioning phase of camp. Lewis injured his left ankle Aug. 20 and has not practiced since.

Colts will have 2,500 fans at home opener....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Wobin wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

LOL @Spurt  stop using that WFT name....just call them the redskins until they decide......Smiley Wink

Thanks at @sunshine45  I couldn't figure out what everyone was referring to.  Robot surprised

The Redskins are no longer officially the Redskins but are now called the Washington Football Team.  We typically just abbreviate it to the WFT. It's not the most creative name in the world, but so far anyway, no one's protesting it.

Far too easy to confuse with WTF.

Honored Contributor

Today will be a busy day as every team gets down to their 53 man roster by four PM ET. Expect some surprising names to pop up.

The Bears are a confusing team. They didn't pick up Mitchell Trubisky's fifth year option, they signed Foles for $21 million guaranteed, now they name Trubisky the starter. He'll now be a free agent after the season and the only way they can retain him is by tagging him where he gets paid as a top five QB, and he's not a top five QB. It doesn't make sense for him to sign a deal for less than the tag amount. Do the Bears pay him or let him walk? They could have avoided this by picking up the fifth year option.

If they let him walk, then what? Start Foles the next two years? Bring in a free agent? Draft a kid? Trade for a QB? They've managed to put themselves in a very bad spot at the most crucial position. The good news is they could potentially sign Dak Prescott in a year or two. The price would be high, but it is doable.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman  @teganslaw 

The WFT does plan to keep Alex Smith on the roster....

Some surprises on the roster cuts---

In March, Washington signed safety Sean Davis to a contract that included a $2 million signing bonus. That did not turn out well. Davis is being cut today. Davis spent the last four years with the Steelers, who selected him in the second round of the 2016 NFL draft. But Washington was apparently not impressed with his performance in camp this year, and seventh-round rookie safety Kamren Curl could get the roster spot that was penciled in for Davis.

Other reported cuts for Washington today include QB Steven Montez, WR Trey Quinn, LB Donald Payne, DE Jordan Brailford, CB Ryan Lewis, T Timon Parris and T David Steinmetz.

More surprises on cuts ----WR Trey Quinn and LB Donald Payne......WR Steven Sims just outplayed Quinn....it was suspected all along that CB Ryan Lewis would be cut....

Honored Contributor

DeShaun Watson is reportedly signing a $177 million four year deal with $111 million guaranteed. That sobbing sound you hear coming from Dallas is Jerry Jones hearing the news. Watson is getting paid a lot, and only over four years. Dak has a new blueprint for his deal. He's been wanting a four year deal while JJ has insisted on a longer one. Now Watson getting a four year deal helps Dak.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!