Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for May 2023!!!

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

The Commanders likely won't face any punishment for tampering to get Andrew Luck. Apparently, there is not enough evidence to charge them. The case probably will be closed and not investigated further. 

@teganslaw 

Yep, Irsay just didnt have the evidence to get Washington in trouble, and we dont need anymore trouble either....On Washington's sale Irsay said constructive discussions and complexities are proceeding with the Harris Group Deal....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Well this int a good thing.....VOLUNTARY OTA's are going on BUT Chase Young didnt show.......they didnt pick up his 5th yr option a couple of things they are looking for was health and committment to the team, yet doesnt show up..🤔...Montez Sweat and Charles Leno were also no shows,,,,,Montez' 5th yr wasnt picked up either

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

It's going to be an interesting year for the Commanders. The players pretty much know big changes are coming with a new GM  and head coach likely in 2024. No one knows the talent of players on a team better than the players. If the think/believe Howell and Brisett aren't the QB they need, then they're not going to be overly motivated to play hard. "Why should I bust my a** when the offense can't do anything?"

You like to think players will play hard to try and impress the new guys up top, but they often assume another team will take them and give them a chance, so why risk injury now? And when you see the chances a guy like AB gets despite his issues, they can get another chance.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

NFL owners voted to approve a rule that places every fair catch  at the 25 yard line. A ball has to go behind the 25 yard in order for the rule to into effect. If a kick ends up on the 30 yard line or above, it would stay there. IOW, there will be no fair catch longer than the 25 yard line. The rule will go on a trial basis for one year. 

Many special team coordinators aren't happy with the change, but owners say it's for player safety. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While most Washington fans want the new owners to rebrand and re-name the franchise.....Its been hinted that that's not a priority for the team......However, they may not have a choice!  Via trademark attorney Josh Gerben on Twitter, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has denied the trademark application for the name “Commanders.

The reason for the denial was: (1) the existence of a trademark for “Commanders’ Classic”; and (2) pending applications filed by a man in the D.C. area.

The Commanders’ Classic is the name of the annual college football game between Army and Air Force. Also, Martin McCaulay filed trademarks for “Washington Space Commanders” and “Washington Wolf Commanders,” at a time when he was trying to squat on the team’s potential new name.

It doesn’t end the issue. As Gerben explains, the team can fight the matter, and it can attempt to work out a deal to use the name. (McCaulay already has said he’ll surrender anything he owns to the team. Although that’s something he has been saying for several years now.....STAY TUNED!!!!  

We need a new DECENT nickname and to erase another Snyder mark on the franchise.

Honored Contributor

Offensive lineman DJ Fluker is in Philly getting a look. He's lost 40 pounds and claims to be in the best shape ever. He's played both guard and tackle and could fight for the right guard spot if signed. He could be a solid backup option also. The Eagles have kept a few roster slots open and he could be a reason why.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Well first casualty for Washington----Second-year TE Armani Rogers suffered a 'noncontact Achilles injury' while running during an OTA practice on Tuesday, and will likely miss the season Woman Sad  Looks like they may check out a veteran FA TE for a replacement........

Everybody loves the new Asst Head Coach-----Everybody is noticing the impact of Eric Bieniemy. There is a new energy! Several players said they like the new vibe on the field and in the locker room. Antonio Gibson specifically referenced the impact Eric Bieniemy is having on this offense and the team. Terry McLaurin  said, "when you come out here and you have that type of energy from your coach, you have no choice but to come out here and put the work in.".......Jonathan Allen said he is excited for the season and likes where the team is starting at. Plenty of optimism and belief from Washington's Captain.

Washington is adding a second player from the XFL to their 90-man roster. Last week, Washington signed OT  Jaryd Jones-Smith, who had spent the spring with the St. Louis Battlehawks and was an All-XFL performer.

On Monday, the XFL Communications Department’s official Twitter account revealed another XFL signing  by Washington. D.C. Defenders LB/S Ferrod Gardner.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Bleacher Report's Connor Rogers reviewed the NFC East drafts for the four teams.

Rogers felt like the NFC East stole a lot of the headlines in the Draft. And yes he said it was the Eagles primarily who stole the headlines with their draft.

•  

But Rogers does like some things each team determined in their choices: He ranked the draft performance in the following order:

1. Eagles
  2. Giants
  3. Washington
  4. Cowboys----HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS AND THEIR GM Woman Wink 

Philadelphia Eagles -- A

The Eagles saw the Georgia Bulldogs program as the dominant force it was, and when they had opportunity, they went with some Bulldogs because they felt it would improve their roster.  So the Eagles took Jalen Carter, Nolan Smith and Kelee Ringo.

Rogers said “Few capitialize on value like Howie Roseman and those Eagles.”

New York Giants -- B+

Rogers liked how the Giants met needs while also selecting some of the better players available when they were on the clock.

Deonte Banks (corner) is a fit to DC Wink Martindale’s zero coverage where corners don’t receive much help.

Center John Michael Schmitz in the second round is seen as a solid selection as well.

Rogers really liked the choice of Oklahoma RB Eric Gray at No. 172 because Rogers had him at 119.

Washington  -- B-

Rogers felt Wahington reached some for Emmanuel Forbes in the first round. Though Rogers did like the second-round choice of Quan Martin.

He felt Washington’s best value selection was K.J. Henry at No. 137, though Rogers valued Henry at No. 111.

Rogers feels Washington did not want to take risks in this draft, choosing instead to be “the steady Eddie team” in this draft. He also felt Washington has been slowly and steadily improving their roster.

Dallas Cowboys -- C

Mazi Smith takes up space, will make the front four more powerful.

The choice of Michigan tight end Luke Schoonmaker confused Rogers, who said the Cowboys passed up several tight ends who were better than Schoonmaker.Rogers did feel the Cowboys finished last in the division for this draft.

Esteemed Contributor

SPURT, I watched XFL games this year. Jaryd Jones-Smith and Ferrod Gardner were very good players. 

Gardner Minshew is supporting Anthony Richardson; no envy even if Richardson is the starter. That hasn't been determined yet.  Coaches and players are impressed with Richardson so far. He's gotten along with everyone and has shown leadership skills. There is still a lot to learn, but he is doing well in camp. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

SPURT, I watched XFL games this year. Jaryd Jones-Smith and Ferrod Gardner were very good players. 

Gardner Minshew is supporting Anthony Richardson; no envy even if Richardson is the starter. That hasn't been determined yet.  Coaches and players are impressed with Richardson so far. He's gotten along with everyone and has shown leadership skills. There is still a lot to learn, but he is doing well in camp. 

@teganslaw @gardenman 

Thanks TEGANSLAW for your heads up on the XFL players..........I didnt really pay attention to that league when I saw on our local news San Antonio's team wasnt very good.....but glad it gave some football players an opportunity to try out for NFL teams......I'll be keeping an eye on these players thru OTAs and Training Camp.

Interesting battle for the QB #1 spot for the Colts....I did like Minshew.....Richardson appears to be a good prospect too......

I feel bad for the Titans QB Milik Willis he didnt get much of an opportunity last year and it appears that theyve pretty much figured on Tannehill and Will Levis---they actually worked along side together and Milik was left on his own....

Willis started three games for Tennessee last year, but it was clear toward the end of the season that he wasn’t yet ready to play. So, the Titans brought in Joshua Dobbs to start their last two games to finish out the season for the injured Tannehill. Willis completed 51 percent of his passes for 276 yards with no touchdowns and three interceptions last season. Willis rushed for 123 yards with a touchdown, fumbling three times. He was also sacked 10 times in his eight appearances with three starts. The Titans O-linewas ranked 27th....perhaps that contributed to Willis poor performance......I hope he gets another chance...perhaps a team that has a better line and fits his skill set