Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for May 2022!!!

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw 

Since Peter of GMF said he didnt even get a thank you or re-tweet from any of the players on his list of Likable Players he did a re-do....and you will be happy to know he selected the Colt's Pat McAfee along with Kurt Warner and a rather odd choice John Lynch for his top 3

Pat McAfee walks away from the Colts at 29

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

The Colts are working on a deal with Nick Foles. It should be finished early next week. 

I'm OK with Foles in Indy. If for some reason Ryan isn't able to play, Foles will be back up. He is inconsistent, but is a veteran and knows Reich's style. I don't see much of a downside with this. I've seen both sides and when Foles has a good game, he's pro bowler material. The bad games, well, I wont dwell on those. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Yeah, Nick is a great guy and a good backup. He's just wildly, wildly unpredictable. Teams see the good Nick and think, "If I can just harness that..." but they can't. It's not like teams haven't tried. He was the starter in Philly then went to the Rams, then the Chiefs, then back to Philly, then down to Jacksonville, then off to Chicago, and now onto Indy. On a good day, he can stand toe-to-toe with the best there ever was. He's just so wildly unpredictable though that it makes your head spin. I suspect it drives him as crazy as it does everyone else. It's not just coaching as he's had some of the best coaches in the league working with him. He's a confounding guy. Get him on a hot streak and he's unstoppable. When that hot streak ends, he's a mess.

He tries hard. He tries to be consistent. He's got loads of talent. But a lot of football gets played between the earholes and when he's hot and confident, he's unstoppable, but when that confidence fades, and it always fades, he's a mess. Everyone sees his talent and thinks, "If only I could harness that..." And they try. And they fail. He's a great guy and a great teammate though. You never hear anyone say anything bad about the kid. He just drives coaches a bit crazy with his inconsistency.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Offseason optimism is great and all of that, but the Colts fans on Stampede Blue might be a bit overly optimistic. Many seem to feel that the pending signing of Nick Foles is the last piece they need to win the Super Bowl this year. Eh, have they looked around the AFC? 

There are a lot of really good AFC teams. The Bills, Bengals, Chargers, Chiefs, Ravens (if healthy), and likely the Broncos are better than the Colts. I would lump the Colts in with teams like the Raiders, Patriots (who have had a really weird offseason), Dolphins, Browns, Titans, and maybe the Steelers as a second-tier group of teams on a par with the Colts. The Colts should be better than the Jags, Texans, and Jets.

The schedule starts out with two very winnable games in the Texans and Jags, then three much more challenging games in the Chiefs, Titans, and Broncos. A 2-3 or 3-2 record after those five games seems reasonable. Then the Jags, Titans, Commanders, Patriots, Raiders. Maybe two to three wins are possible there? Then the Eagles, Steelers, and Cowboys before the late bye. One or two wins there? Then the Vikings, Chargers, Giants, and Texans. Probably two or three more wins there. That would put them at eight to ten wins and might eke into the playoffs.

I just don't see the Colts being a Super Bowl team this year. Could they surprise me? Sure. Anything's possible, but they're not as good as the Bills, Chargers, Chiefs, Ravens, and Bengals. The Broncos with Russell Wilson are probably better also. If the Colts get to the playoffs, getting past those teams will be a challenge. They're in that mix of second-tier teams and could be in the upper half of that second-tier of teams, but that's not going to be enough to go far in the playoffs. If they were in the NFC they'd have a better shot, but that AFC is packed with really good teams and more teams on the rise. 

Teams I see on the rise across the NFL would include the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets in the AFC East. The Patriots probably slipped a bit. The Jets have a ways to go, but they should be better than they were.

In the AFC North, the Bengals got better. The Steelers likely slipped. The Browns and Ravens are iffy. Health matters for the Ravens and the Browns have the Watson situation that's going to dominate their season.

In the AFC South, I think the Titans slipped a bit and seem to be trying to transition to a rebuild on the fly. Losing AJ Brown will hurt them a bit. The drafting of Malik Willis shows they're transitioning. The Jags should be better. The Texans, eh. They're the Texans. The Colts are more or less where they were last year. I don't see them being vastly improved or worse.

Everyone's better in the AFC West. Each of those teams is stronger than they were last year, and they were all good last year. That AFC West is going to be brutal to play against. The fourth-place team there is very good. Only the Bengals and Bills would be clearly better than the fourth-place team in the AFC West.

In the NFC East the Eagles, Giants, and Commanders are better. (Not hard for the Giants.) The Cowboys seem to have slipped a wee bit losing five or six starters. I don't see them upgraded at any of those roster spots. 

In the NFC North, the Packers have slipped, but no one's all that close to them even then. I think the Vikings have more or less held even., The Lions and Bears should be a little better. Both need to be a lot better though.

In the NFC South, the Bucs are still solid and largely unchanged. The Falcons are weaker. The Panthers are about the same. The Saints confuse me. I think they've slipped, or at most held steady, but others think much more highly of them.

In the NFC West, the Seahawks are worse. Going from Russell Wilson to Drew Lock is a big decline. The Rams are better. The Cards and Niners are iffier. I don't think the Niners are better, but I'm not sure how much worse they'll be. The Cards need to take care of Kyler Murray. Until they get his contract sorted out, things are going to be messy out there.

All in all, the AFC West just looks brutal to me. They may cannibalize each other and only one team makes the playoffs which would open things up a bit for the rest of the AFC. Even if just one of them makes the playoffs, there are still the Bills and Bengals to get past. Going deep into the AFC playoffs is going to be one heck of a challenge in 2022/2023. There are a lot of very talented and very well-coached teams in that AFC.

I don't see an NFC team that's on the same level as the best of the AFC teams. Anything can happen in a Super Bowl, but I'd be surprised if an AFC team didn't win the Super Bowl for the next few years. That conference is just stacked.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Gardenman, fans on Stampede Blue are optimistic about going to the Super Bowl, but other fans on different sites aren't thrilled about Foles. They think that Reich needs to give up playcalling and aren't pleased with Ballard. 

I'm in between. I like the coaches and Foles signing, but am not thinking Super Bowl. I'm taking games separately, and will be happy if they win in Jacksonville and don't get swept by the Titans. 

Colts director of scouting, Morocco Brown, is no longer a candidate for the Eagles' high position job. That's good news for the Colts, but he seemed qualifed for the other job. I wonder what happened. Interview didn't go as well as expected?

The NFL met with Deshaun Watson and want to meet with him one more time before making a decision. We won't know anything until June or maybe July about any suspension. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

WOW!!!

REPORT---NFL OWNERS ARE COUNTING VOTES TOWARD A POSSIBOLE OUSTER OF WASHINGTON OWNER DANIEL SNYDER...😲😲😲....Let's see if the other owners have the guts to get this done! DO IT FOR THE WASHINGTON FANS! smileys-cheerleading-755332.gifLike I said before, the alienation of fans and poor attendance alone should be enough to do him in! 

Jeff Bezos already owns the Washington Post, maybe he'd like to add to his Washington holdings.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

The whole Morocco Brown thing was weird. The Eagles don't generally announce who they're courting, so it was weird that so much talk of Morocco Brown joining the Eagles circulated. My speculation is that Brown or his agent went public about it to try and drive up his market value. That may have annoyed the Eagles enough to have them drop their pursuit.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

I think its gonna be the Bills or Bengals in the AFC and in the NFC I think its gonna be the Rams again, but this time they lose to the AFC......

@teganslaw 

If the Colt's defense can stop Derrick Henry I think there's a possibility they can win the AFC South...like @gardenman said the Titans did slip a bit......

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Daniel Snyder has a problem. Getting the votes to expel him might be a challenge though. There aren't many owners without a skeleton or twenty in their closets who could find themselves on the outs if things went wrong. Robert Kraft and his massage parlor issues being just one example. There aren't a lot of saints owning NFL teams.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Daniel Snyder has a problem. Getting the votes to expel him might be a challenge though. There aren't many owners without a skeleton or twenty in their closets who could find themselves on the outs if things went wrong. Robert Kraft and his massage parlor issues being just one example. There aren't a lot of saints owning NFL teams.

@gardenman 

Yep, there's Kraft....and it looks like Mark Davis is now in trouble too....

The book I ordered arrived"The Playmaker--How the NFL Works And Doesn't" and it should be a lot of fun and interesting reading....Lets see what other dirt there is on other owners.....It was funny because in the comments PFT fans said Jerry Jones should be next...LOL