Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for May 2022!!!

[ Edited ]

The Colts signed RB Phillip Lindsay to a one year deal. He will be backup to Taylor, and share snaps with Nyheim Hines. Lindsay didn't do well in Houston, but was one of Denver's top rbs a few years ago. 

I like the website's name "Blogging the Boys." It's quite catchy. Jerry Jones doesn't care if the publicity is good or bad. He just likes being in the limelight. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

The "even bad news is good for the NFL" is one more reason they should have a show announcing the off season suspensions. Put a camera in each team's executive offices with the team owner, GM, and head coach all there waiting to hear the news. Watch the shock as they hear bad news and the joy when they hear good news.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Albert Breer has joined the Jimmy G to the Seahawks bandwagon. He thinks they'll trade for him, but that's nonsense. The Niners will have to release Jimmy G, so why trade for him when you can get him at no cost in future draft picks? 

Spotrac has the Niners with $142,563 in cap space and Over the Cap has them at $673,752. And they'll need $7.5 million to sign their draft picks. Where will they find that money? By releasing Jimmy G. He's got a $26.95 million cap hit this year and just $1.4 million in dead cap. Cut him loose and you've got $25.55 million of free money to play with for minor unimportant things like signing your draft picks ($7.5 million) and maybe adding some more veteran free agents to the roster or extending kids who will soon be free agents, like say a Nick Bosa who will be a free agent in 2024 if you don't extend him. You don't want Nick Bosa reaching free agency.

Jimmy G is a goner from the Niners. Trey Lance will be their starter. They won't find a trade partner for Jimmy G as everyone knows they have to release him, Jimmy G has a large cap hit, but a minuscule dead cap hit, so they have to cut him. The only team currently lacking a true starting QB is Seattle.

The Seahawks have about $12 million in cap space now and can scrounge up more if need be. They'll also be $63 million under the cap next year, so a smallish salary in 2022 with a large signing bonus pro-rated over four or five years, then a big salary next year and for the rest of the contract. Something like a $1 million salary in 2022 with a $40 million signing bonus  ($8-$10 million a year against the cap over four or five years) with a salary of $35-$40 million from year 2023 on. There's the deal.

The Seahawks get a good QB. The Niners get nothing. Jimmy G gets paid and respected. Jimmy G gets to laugh at the Niners and the way they've treated him. The Niners really have no choice. They've backed themselves into a corner with no good escape. They have to cut Jimmy G and he'll end up on the Seahawks and haunt them for years to come.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

The "even bad news is good for the NFL" is one more reason they should have a show announcing the off season suspensions. Put a camera in each team's executive offices with the team owner, GM, and head coach all there waiting to hear the news. Watch the shock as they hear bad news and the joy when they hear good news.

@gardenman 

Yep, like your idea for that show-----😄😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

@gardenman 

Yep, like your idea for that show-----😄😄

The commissioner could have fun with it too. "And now to the Cowboys. Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, and CeeDee Lamb, are...(long pause)...not suspended." Poor old JJ would have to be revived with smelling salts. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Pete Carroll has said that the Seahawks aren't pursuing a veteran qb. He was talking about a trade, which probably won't happen, but if Jimmy G were released, then would the Seahawks be interested? I'm not sure because Carroll has said on podcasts that he is confident with Drew Lock and Geno Smith. 

I didn't read where the 49ers plan on releasing Jimmy G. Some analysts think that, but John Lynch hasn't mentioned this. In March he said that the team would not be releasing Jimmy G. Things could have changed, so I'll keep watching the situation. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

James Bradberry is now an Eagle! That gives us two solid corners with lots of kids in reserve.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Well it sounds like the 49ers are really going with Trey Lance he is the one taking the leadership role with the rookies instead of Jimmy G....He welcomed them and went to see their first practice and talked with them. ..The rookies said they had not heard from Jimmy G and media is reporting that it looks like Lance is the starter with Sudfeld as backup......  Although Jimmy is still rehabbing in Southern California, but it still seems like he would at least send the 49er draftees a text welcoming them to the team if he had been told that he's the starter...hmmmm 🤔

YEAH! my Washington team has signed Dotson! smileys-cheerleading-755332.gifIt's the typical 4 year deal with a team option for the fifth season. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Well it sounds like the 49ers are really going with Trey Lance he is the one taking the leadership role with the rookies instead of Jimmy G......

YEAH! my Washington team has signed Dotson! smileys-cheerleading-755332.gifIt's the typical 4 year deal with a team option for the fifth season. 

Yeah. The Niners can't afford to keep Jimmy G. They have the worst cap situation of any team and need to sign their draft picks. They've also got to take care of Deebo Samuel and then Nick Bosa is coming up for an extension also. Flushing Jimmy G gets them $25.55 million to play with to sign their rookies and make those guys happy.

The only team that could take on Jimmy G's contract now is the Browns, and they don't need him. The Panthers could with some minor help, but after drafting Matt Corral, I suspect they'll go with the kid and Darnold. That leaves Seattle. Seattle has about $12 million in cap space, but if Jimmy G gets cut, they can do a new deal with him. A big signing bonus pro-rated over four or five years to give him lots of cash upfront, then a reasonable salary ($35-$40 million) a year after that with a very small token salary in year one would make sense for them.

I'm pretty sure the Niners know how much sense it makes for Jimmy G to go to Seattle so they're holding onto him as long as they can, but unless a Dak Prescott or other star QB breaks in the OTAs, they'll have to let him go rather than trade him.

Seattle just makes the most sense. They don't have a kid QB they love. They can give Jimmy G a multi-year deal and be set at QB for the foreseeable future. Jimmy G Will want a new deal as a free agent and he'll want four or five years, not one or two. Seattle can do all of that. Carolina, eh, if you sign Jimmy G, you're pretty much writing off the third-round pick you just used on Matt Corral. I don't see them doing that.

The Steelers have Pickett who they've coveted. After the Panthers and Seahawks, there aren't a lot of teams that really need a QB. Maybe the Giants if the new coaches are unhappy with what they've already seen from Daniel Jones? Seattle just makes the most sense to me.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@gardenman @teganslaw 

The predictions are IN----

Fletcher Cox predicts 11-6

Santana Moss 10-7

Logan Paulsen 10-7

And Lucy the dog---homer---predicts 17-0--- I dont think the Dolphins have much to worry about with Washington matching that perfect season---I think they need to find an unbiased cat to make predictions 😼

This was a bit curious from Troy Boy Aikman said this is Carson Wentz's last chance in the NFL---SHEESH!!!  Come on Carson isnt Tony Romo.....🙄

Im so glad that I haven't seen OBNOXIOUS Fred "The Viking Love Boat" Smoot around....and instead am seeing more of THE CLASSY Santana Moss in the Washington media mix.....