Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for May 2021!!!

[ Edited ]

When the media kept pestering 49ers Coach Kyle Shannahan about whether Jimmy G would still be on their roster after the draft, Kyle sarcasticly responded, " “I can’t guarantee that anybody in the world will be alive Sunday, so I can’t guarantee who will be on our roster on Sunday. So, that goes for all of us,”......

Well that comment didnt go unnoticed by his 49er players....🤣🤣🤣.Some called him to let him know they were still alive, and some responded via Twitter---

George Kittle, who has been supportive of Garoppolo, replied with a funny GIF of his own that featured a laughing Ralph Wiggum from “The Simpsons” with the caption, “*Chuckles* I’m in danger.”

Will Compton- 

Me trying to figure out if I will live to see Sunday after Kyle Shannahan’s press conference

Ez7rpdWXMAgLwar.jpg
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Sports Illustrated's MMQB article has a lot on the Rodgers' situation. It sounds like the Packers are trying to bribe him to stay as much as anything. He has no guaranteed money left in his deal and his per-year total isn't the best right now since so much of his current deal was in a signing bonus. Their GM was quoted as talking about tearing up his current deal and reworking it.

I don't think this is about money though. I think he's just frustrated that he never gets the top-tier help around him that other teams give their QBs. In ten years they've only used their first-round pick on one offensive player, and it was the QB they drafted to replace him, If you're Rodgers and you see other teams drafting receivers, running backs, tight ends, offensive linemen, first and you're playing with guys drafted much later, it frustrates you. They count on Rodgers elevating the play of lesser guys, but after a while, you get tired of being expected to carry that load.

In this draft alone we saw teams draft 18 offensive players in the first round. One tight end, five wide receivers, five offensive linemen, two running backs, and five quarterbacks. Roughly half the league drafted an offensive player. In ten years the Packers drafted an offensive player in the first round once and it was Rodgers' eventual replacement. If the Packers had ever given Rodgers better talent around him, he could have rewritten every record. He's a special QB, but instead of building around him they always do the opposite. And it's not like drafting defensive players gave them the best defense the league has ever seen. Their defense is typically pretty much middle of the road.

Put Rodgers on a team where they built a roster around him and his skills and watch out. Imagine him on the Cowboys with those receivers, that o-line, and their backs. He'd put up amazing numbers. They could have gotten him an Elijah Moore, Javonte Williams, or Landon Dickerson this year, but no. They got a cornerback instead. Year after year of seeing your team trying to build a defense and failing, instead of getting you playmakers on offense wears on a guy. They don't spend big on top-tier free agents for him. They don't draft top-tier guys for him. They just leave him out there on his own and it's not fun for him.

We'll have to see how this all plays out, but I don't think this is a money issue for Rodgers. He's just tired of carrying the whole offense himself.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

I think you are right, its not so much about money and a new contract rather its just feeling of being unappreciated.... and he is tired that he always has to compensate for the lack of talent surrounding him.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw @yellowrose 

Some interesting info and observations from our local late night Sunday sport's show----

There was a big discussion on Jerry's glorious draft and emphasis on defense, but other than Parson's they said looks can be deceiving....what was interesting is they mentioned character issues of Kelvin Joseph and Josh Ball but no mention of Parson's....but they all mentioned how Jerrah ignored character when signing players..... Jerry got a grade of C for their draft....They didnt quite think the players taken would make that much of a difference....only one or two would even start if some veterans are waived....

The conversation once again turned to Dak...they said that the Cowboy's 500 showing wasn't Dak's fault, but one guy mentioned unlike other QB's (Aaron Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady) their talents can overcome their team's deficiencies, but Dak's talents aren't enough, just like last year he put points on the board but they still lost!

One thing they also talked about was Dak's coming back from his injury, it's his plant foot, it was a gruesome injury ----his foot was facing in the wrong direction---they all said he's not going to be the same....so if he was just a .500 QB healthy, what will he be like not at 100%!!!!  .....and they called Coach McCarthy's comments that Dak is 110% healthy RIDICULOUS!!!! They were emphatic this injury WILL impact Dak!!! (remember this required not one, but two surgeries--dislocation of his right ankle and stabalizing the ankle ligament).......  But of course one homer had to say that Dak had to be healing well for Jerry to agree to pay him all that money....but as another guy pointed out....if a player is one of "Jerry's guys" , Jerry doesnt always do the rational thing..... STAY TUNED!!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In addition to our hometown guy, Kellen Monds, who was drafted by the Vikings......two other area guys were also drafted.... 

Safety Caden Sterns from highly ranked Steele High School in nearby Cibolo, TX-and a Texas Longhorn, he was drafted by the Broncos-some were surprised he dropped in the draft and could turn into into a nice surprise for Denver....he was slowed down by injuries in his college career, but is now healthy and bounced back with his strong Texas Pro-Day---keep your eye on him....

Also, S Trevon Moehig went to Smithson Valley High School, in nearby Comal County and TCU--- highly favored draft prospect that is on his was to Vegas! 

Honored Contributor

The Cowboys draft was "interesting." They went heavy on the defense but may not have improved it all that much. Micah Parsons sat out all of 2020. There's a video circulating a lot in Philly of our little fifth-round back Kenneth Gainwell clobbering him on a chip block and knocking him to the ground. Assuming the Cowboys do start Keanu Neal at one linebacker spot and they start Parsons, then they've got to switch to a 3-4 defense to get all four of their better linebackers on the field at once. If you're playing a 3-4 you need a big old nose tackle. They drafted Osa Odhighizuwa as a defensive tackle. He's only 282 pounds though.

Kelvin Joseph their second-round pick at cornerback is generally viewed as a guy who wants to be a rap star more than a football player. He's released six albums already. He's been suspended from his team in college. Where will his focus be?

Chauncey Golston their third-round DE is thought to be more of a backup/special teamer than a real contributor. Then you run into the first of their giant 6'4" cornerbacks in Nahshon Wright, who despite being 6'4" is said to only weigh 183 pounds. People say Davonta Smith is too small at 6' 166? This guy is a good four inches taller and only 17 pounds heavier. I'm assuming the Cowboys are going to be a zone-heavy pass defense based on them drafting two giants at CB. When you get a very tall DB going against a short and shifty WR in man coverage, it's a mismatch. I'm pretty sure the Giants are already scheming ways to get Saquon Barkley matched up on this guy. Saquon will get open against him then steamroll him. A 6'4" 183-pound corner taking on a pulling guard or tackle will be interesting also.

Jabril Cox has some potential down the road. He needs to develop a bit more though. He'll be a good special teamer this year. Josh Ball managed to be a bad enough guy to get thrown out of Florida State's program. The reports I've read on him describe him as "good enough" as an offensive tackle. Good enough in college is not good enough in the pros. The wide receiver Simi Fehoko is already said to be a likely practice squad guy. Their defensive tackle Quinton Bohanna has the size you prefer for a nose tackle at 327 pounds but wasn't a star in college.

Their second 6'4" corner is Israel Mukuamu. He is bigger at 214 pounds, but they're already talking about moving him to safety. Matt Farniok their guard is an okay size, but has issues in pass protection and run blocking. Kind of important things for an offensive lineman  He might have the best long-term prognosis though as those are things that can be taught.

Kudos to the Cowboys for recognizing they had to fix the defense. The pair of 6'4" corners is a bit odd. Their transition to a 3-4 defense will be interesting. Will they make DeMarcus Lawrence into an outside linebacker in a 3-4? The defensive end in a 3-4 typically lines up over the guard/tackle slot instead of outside the tackle. Lawrence is used to lining up out wide. His life will get a lot tougher lining up over the guard/tackle slot. It makes it a lot easier for the offensive line to double-team the defensive end. The job of the defensive line in a 3-4 is more to occupy the blockers so the linebackers can make the play. 

It's going to be a fun season. I can't wait for it to start.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Do you think Dak's injury will have a significant impact on his play this season? Or perhaps will we all just have to "wait and see".....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman 

Do you think Dak's injury will have a significant impact on his play this season? Or perhaps will we all just have to "wait and see".....

Leg injuries are tricky. A lot will depend on how it feels. If it feels "normal" and works as it did, it shouldn't be an issue. It wasn't a contact injury so he may not be skittish in traffic. If it feels weird, it can affect your head space. You tend to develop scar tissue that has to be broken and when it breaks it can scare the life out of you. There's that sudden pop, tear, sensation, etc. in a repaired joint that gets your attention. We'll know more in camp. If he sits out much of camp, needs days off, is icing the ankle, etc. then it doesn't feel "right" and it will affect his play. He's not a guy who's had serious injuries, so the whole thing is new to him. A guy who's been badly beat up with multiple surgeries tends to be more nonchalant when something new comes along. To some extent having a guy who's been injured getting reinjured gives a team more certainty. You know how he'll respond. Eagles draft pick Landon Dickerson has been injured a lot and is a good example. A month or two after tearing his ACL he was doing cartwheels behind Mac Jones at Alabama's pro day. A guy with less injury experience would have been more scared and careful. He's been there and done that, so there's no real fear. Dak hasn't been there and done that. Will he be scared, cautious, and overly careful, or will he be fearless? We'll see. Physically, he should be okay. It's the mental part that's up in the air. Given their lack of a credible backup, they need him to be sharp.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Colts TE Mo Alie-Cox has signed his free agent tender. He'll remain with Indy throughout the 2021 season. The other TE, Trey Burton, is a free agent and most likely won't be back. 

The Cowboys declined Leighton Vander Esch's fifth year option. That's not a surprise, as there were signs the team is moving away from him. The recent draft picks were one indication of that. 

I was reading Cowobys message boards, and the majority of fans like the drafting of Micah Parsons. I hope that he has settled down and learned from his past actions. Everyone has such high expectations for Parsons.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

So far Parsons has made a good impression.  Upon arriving in Dallas,

he talked to Sear Lee.  Sounds like he is very open to be mentored,

unlike Jaylon Smith who had/has a bad attitude.  We're stuck with him

for another year, but I won't be sad when he's gone.  I am so rooting

for Parsons.Can't change past behavior but you can change your future.

He has the most adorable little boy. If having a child doesn't make one learn

from their past mistakes, then not much will.

Us fans didn't expect LVE to get that 5th yr option, unless

Jerry just couldn't bear to say goodby.  I wish him the best.