Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for May 2021!!!

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

I don't know what the deal was with Foles. Word of that just broke today. He was reportedly the Eagles' first choice as the veteran backup but he said he wouldn't report if traded to Philly, so the Eagles went with Flacco instead. 

He could have been annoyed that the Eagles let him leave. His contract may have needed to have been restructured as part of the deal. Maybe he thinks he has a better shot at being the starter in Chicago or someplace else. I don't know. Maybe he feels he's done all he can do in Philly. Maybe he's annoyed the Eagels fired Doug Pederson. It's an interesting thing to hear though. I'd have assumed he'd be happy to be back in Philly, but that's not the case.

You can also root for Kerrigan when we play the Giants. In fact, you can root for him against everyone but the WFT. I thought the WFT didn't use him enough last year. I'm pretty sure the Eagles will use him enough.

@gardenman 

There's an odd vibe and disconnect going on with your owner, front office, and players....it looks like the Eagles are taking a page from Snyder and previous GM's--Cerrato/Allen on how to run a team and that's NOT good AT ALL!!!  Well at least Ive read compliments about the Eagle's O-line and D-line....but the rest ?!?!?!?!?....Are the Eagles getting rid of TE Erst after June 1st to save 8.5 mill in cap space...??? There was a discussion whether the WFT would be interested or just stand pat and go with Logan and others they have on the roster .....

I think Rivera had made up his mind to go with the youth movement and rebuild, and save some money so he didnt play Kerrigan much last season....No I cant cheer for Kerrigan against the Giants, because I think the Winner of the NFC East Division will end up being decided by the inter-Division games which will impact the final win/loss record and the crown!....👑

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had to take an antacid last night listening to one of our local guys go on and on about Dak (he's already put him in the HOF)..It was nauseous!!!! He was raving with just the 5 games Dak played you could see he was on pace to go over 4,000 yds passing ...."just think what would've happened if Dak had remained healthy".....But the non-homer guy pointed out that the Cowboys also LOST 3 of those games and the 2 wins one was by 1 point Atlanta, and the other was by 3 points....hardly an impressive record....Oh but the homer came back and said he guarantees the defense will be better, afterall, Quinn is a Super Bowl Coach,(SMH--they lost the game!) and will make needed adjustments....(Hey Dave, what about that secondary, and what if the rookies dont pan out, or get into trouble off the field?--the defense doesnt really scare anyone hate to tell you) He added that he was sure to catch hell after the show for being so optimistic about the Cowboys this season....😄 And the Cowboys got a step up on their competition since EVERYONE showed up for OTA's...(SMH--WFT only had 4 players that didnt)

The 3rd guy on the show is a bit neutral, taking a "wait and see approach", he has his doubts about the Cowboys, but actually rather than the NFL, he's more into MLB and the Astros, and his alma mater, Texas A&M college football....and the Spurs.... He did give Tebow a thumbs up for giving the NFL another try, why go through life wondering what you shouldve/couldve done....and complimented his off the field charity work....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

I think we're seeing a change in the mentality of the owner and GM in Philly. They let the new head coach pick his staff. They didn't have to approve of his selections. They just let him pick who he wanted. That's a big change for them. They didn't do that with Andy Reid, Chip Kelly, or Doug Pederson. In each case, they imposed a coach or coaches upon the new head coach.

Are all of Nick Sirianni's friends the best possible coaches? Probably not, but they will be loyal to him and that counts for something. We won't have a situation like in New York where the owner wanted to hire one guy as the head coach, but he wasn't available and then when he became available he was imposed on the new head coach as the offensive coordinator/head coach in waiting. Joe Judge gambled last year that he had the power necessary to replace Garrett's o-line coach with someone more loyal to Judge. If the o-line isn't vastly improved this year, Joe Judge and his o-line coach could both be out. 

The Zach Ertz situation is a bit weird. In the last offseason, a lot of tight ends got new, big-money deals. Ertz wanted one also. The Eagles pretty much said, "Have you seen our cap situation? You've got to wait a bit." Ertz responded with the worst season of his career. He dropped passes, quit on routes, and just didn't have his head in the game. He's never been a good run after catch guy, but he's been pretty clutch in coming down with the ball when you need him to. Last year he wasn't that guy.

He's made it clear he doesn't want to come back for the last year of his contract. The Eagles gave him permission to seek a trade and nothing came of it. He's pretty much purely a pass-catching tight end. Blocking is not his forte, but he has improved. He's not overly fast, but until last year he was reliable. Last year he wasn't reliable. 

He's due to be a free agent in 2022. I think the smart thing to do is to keep him. Pay him the $8.5 million and remind him that the only way he'll get a big-money deal in free agency is by playing hard in 2021. If he plays well and leaves in free agency the Eagles get a compensatory pick that's better than anything we've been offered for him in a trade. There aren't a lot of teams out there with a spare $8.5 million lying around they want to spend on a moody, hot, and cold tight end who won't be happy with the $8.5 million and will want more. Zach has been very good, a top-five tight end. But last year, he was a bottom five tight end. Will he rebound? I don't know.

If he refuses to show up then he costs the Eagles nothing. He also gets nothing. Call his bluff. See what happens. The Eagles have been very generous so far in dealing with him. They gave him permission to seek out a trade. They just want some fair compensation for him leaving. 

Having said all of that, I suspect the Eagles will just release him rather than deal with the distraction of him being a nuisance. You want guys on the team who want to be there. He doesn't want to be here. If you can't trade him, then cut him loose. He'll sign a low-cost one-year deal with someone and wonder why he gave up on the $8.5 million.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

If Ertz is moody and hot and cold he's NOT for us!!!!

So far Morgan Moses has visited the Bears and the Jets....