Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for May 2020!!!

NFL has extended their free access to Game Pass until July 31. It originally was set to expire May 31. I signed up in March and was thinking about buying Game Pass after the free promo. Now I can enjoy it for free for another two months. 

Why doesn't Clowney want to stay with Seattle? Aren't they offering him enough money? 

JJ Watt said that he is not concerned about a contract extension of higher pay just now, that he just wants to remain healthy and give back to the team. His contract doesn't end until 2021, so have to see how it works out after this year. He is getting 17 million, but none of the money is guaranteed. It's good for the Texans that Watt doesn't demand more; they don't need any more problems. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Clowney is an interesting case. The Seahawks wanted to keep him, but he refused their offers. Recently the Browns reportedly offered him a "top dollar" deal that he turned down. I don't really know what his deal is. He seems to have a plan, but no one knows what it is.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

NFL has extended their free access to Game Pass until July 31. It originally was set to expire May 31. I signed up in March and was thinking about buying Game Pass after the free promo. Now I can enjoy it for free for another two months. 

Why doesn't Clowney want to stay with Seattle? Aren't they offering him enough money? 

JJ Watt said that he is not concerned about a contract extension of higher pay just now, that he just wants to remain healthy and give back to the team. His contract doesn't end until 2021, so have to see how it works out after this year. He is getting 17 million, but none of the money is guaranteed. It's good for the Texans that Watt doesn't demand more; they don't need any more problems. 

@teganslaw  @gardenman 

That's great that they extended Game Pass...I guess they realize that everyone is hungry for football....Woman Very Happy 

What the heck does Clowney want...Seattle is a good team, and they are right in the mix to be headed for the playoffs....they got a "player's coach!".....He just seems to be a tad greedy... And at the opposite end you have JJ Watt that just wants to be healthy, contribute to his team, and be affordable..LOVE JJ..Heart

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman  @teganslaw 

Well here's some good news....Redskin QB Dwayne Haskins has been working hard this offseason....he's really been studying the new offense scheme and gets quizzed by OC Scott Turner whose pleased with his progress in virtual meetings...Haskins has also lost a little weight and sculpted his body with workouts.. Turner said he likes the way Haskins stands in the pocket, he's a big guy and hard to bring down...

And has been working out with other players and throwing to Redskin WR's McLaurin and Harmon and has also been throwing to Stefon Diggs and OH NO, look who creeped into the workouts---Antonio Brown (no dont do it, Redskins....Brown has a lot of legal issues to get through and the team doesnt need a DIVA!!!).....

Although Haskins is expected to be the starting QB... here's a fly in the oinment----Rivera said if training camps are shortened then Kyle Allen has an advantage to be the starter....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

It'll be interesting to see how Haskins and Daniel Jones do in their new systems. QBs in new systems tend to struggle a bit.

On a related note, the Eagles second round pick Jalen Hurts has been in six different systems in the last six years. He'll be in the Eagles' system now for probably at least three years, so it'll be interesting to see how he performs when given some stability. He's done pretty well in college and high school with six systems in six years. With just one system for the foreseeable future, he could get more and more polished. It'll be interesting to see how he responds.

On a related note, Lincoln Riley is likely heading to the NFL in the next couple of years. The Eagles might be anticipating that and prepping Hurts to be Lincoln's QB of the future when he gets a head coaching job in the NFL. Hurts could be a pretty valuable guy for a new head coach like Lincoln Riley. He'd be a known quantity to Riley and have some NFL experience.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Not sure why Bill Belichek shows no interest in Cam Newton. We have Jared Stidham, a totally unproven newbie, and Brian Hoyer who is terrible. I knew we were in for a fall from Brady, but this is like a fall from the Empire State Building. Bill has a lot more to prove than Brady does after the messy divorce.

Honored Contributor

@wakefield64 

In the 2021 NFL draft, a young QB by the name of Trevor Lawrence will likely be the first overall pick. Some are saying he's the most "sure thing" QB since Andrew Luck. There are those who think Bill Belichick might be planning to "lose for Lawrence" in 2020 to get the new QB of the future in the 2021 draft. When you look around the league at teams that are positioned to lose for Lawrence, Jacksonville and the Patriots are the two teams without a proven starter or young stud at QB. Maybe Stidham is the real deal and the Patriots are happy with him, but I suspect the team wouldn't mind trading a losing season to get the next Tom Brady type QB.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@wakefield64 

In the 2021 NFL draft, a young QB by the name of Trevor Lawrence will likely be the first overall pick. Some are saying he's the most "sure thing" QB since Andrew Luck. There are those who think Bill Belichick might be planning to "lose for Lawrence" in 2020 to get the new QB of the future in the 2021 draft. When you look around the league at teams that are positioned to lose for Lawrence, Jacksonville and the Patriots are the two teams without a proven starter or young stud at QB. Maybe Stidham is the real deal and the Patriots are happy with him, but I suspect the team wouldn't mind trading a losing season to get the next Tom Brady type QB.

@gardenman  You are probably right. But still there are no guarantees. Brady was drafted 199th and look how that turned. Lawrence could transition to the NFL like Pat Mahomes or not. So maybe this is a “ throw away” year for the Patriots. Hopefully, we will see football in the Fall!