Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for May 2017!!!

The rookie mini-camps are now winding down or done, so teams have had a chance to see the new kids they've got to work with and some coaches and GM's are likely smiling while others are slowly pounding their heads against a wall. 

Those first days of a rookie trying to digest the playbook, or worse ignoring the playbook, often tells a coaching staff exactly what they can expect from the rookie this year and into the future. A few teams likely have been impressed by a late round pick or undrafted free agent who's picked up everything thrown at him and performed well. Other teams likely have one or more high draft picks that think they know everything and don't listen to the coaches, or crack open the playbook. 

Teams will be adjusting their depth charts after these rookie mini-camps and some high priced vets who seemed safe may now find themselves cut loose if a rookie at their position impressed the coaching staff.  Likewise a currently unsigned free agent may suddenly find teams calling him if a kid they'd been counting on looks like a project instead of a solution. We'll see a bit of roster shuffling over the next few weeks/months as teams starrt with more activites and practices.

It sounds like most of the rookies survived the first mini-camp without major injury which is always a good sign. The season will be here before you know it now. We're in mid-May now and come August things start to really heat up. It'll be here before you know it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

And the rivalry lives on! Jerry Jones has now asked the NFL to hold next year's draft in Dallas. Most people just assumed it would be coming back to Philly after the huge success this year, but JJ doesn't want that to happen.

I'm not sure there's another group of fans anywhere in the country that can/will match that of the Eagles' fans, but we'll have to see what the league decides. It's a bold gamble on JJ's part. If he gets the draft and the crowds don't match Philly's it could be embarrassing. And truth be told, at least based on geography, that might be a challenge. We had fans from the Baltimore/Washington area, Philly and New York markets all converge on Philly for the draft. Philly's about a two hour car or train ride from those areas so that's a huge fan base in easy reach of Philly. There are a whole lot more people within a two hour drive of Philly than in the Dallas area and I'm not sure the passion of the fans is quite as intense down there. 

I'd almost like to see Dallas get the next draft just to see what happens, but my suspicion is the league will stick to Philly for at least one more year. We'll have to see what the league decides though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

And the rivalry lives on! Jerry Jones has now asked the NFL to hold next year's draft in Dallas. Most people just assumed it would be coming back to Philly after the huge success this year, but JJ doesn't want that to happen.

I'm not sure there's another group of fans anywhere in the country that can/will match that of the Eagles' fans, but we'll have to see what the league decides. It's a bold gamble on JJ's part. If he gets the draft and the crowds don't match Philly's it could be embarrassing. And truth be told, at least based on geography, that might be a challenge. We had fans from the Baltimore/Washington area, Philly and New York markets all converge on Philly for the draft. Philly's about a two hour car or train ride from those areas so that's a huge fan base in easy reach of Philly. There are a whole lot more people within a two hour drive of Philly than in the Dallas area and I'm not sure the passion of the fans is quite as intense down there. 

I'd almost like to see Dallas get the next draft just to see what happens, but my suspicion is the league will stick to Philly for at least one more year. We'll have to see what the league decides though.

@gardenman

Jerrah wields a lot of power in the NFL (its almost like he and Kraft run the joint)....right after the draft, I had told a friend I bet Jerry wants the NFL Draft next and wouldnt be surprised if he tries to keep it there.....He'll cite the "popularity": of "America's team" .........Jerrah wants the cash to keep coming in to help pay for his "palace" and that artwork hanging on the walls is expensive ya know....Woman Wink  And I can tell you in Texas and beyond that fans have been jumping back on the Cowboy wagon now that Romo is gone and they can cheer on "Dak To The Future"....but I think Dak will come down to earth a bit this season.....(Vegas backs me up on this too, although they say they will still win the NFC East)........

Philly did a magnificient job with the Draft, but those AFC cities will want a piece of the pie and the attention too so I think they will keep rotating it, unless Jerrah gets his way....JMHO..............I think the Steelers have passionate fans and they are in the same geogrpahic region to pull in fans from other states..(he only negative is they will probably have a rather low draft pick).......Chiefs are another one......and too bad Raiders are in the process of moving because the "black hole" is legendary even to coaches/players/fans of visiting teams............

BTW anybody see Tom Brady spoof the fact that he's on the Madden Cover which supposedly has a curse....too funny...Tom has a good sense of humor! Woman LOL

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-tom-brady-wears-bubble-to-avoid-madden-curse-jokes-about-play...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Moving the draft to the Dallas area is probably also about ratings.An article mentioned that the Cowboys games are some of the most popular on TV. I've noticed that they get a lot of primetime games. So, the idea would be that people would tune it just to see a Cowboys venue. 

Is the "Madden Curse" real? Some people think it is. Myself, I don't know. It does bear watching, though.  Have to see what happens to NE after putting Brady on the cover. 

Hankins thinks that the Colts have the best defense in the AFC right now. Reading the rest of the article, he said that it looks good on paper, but now the team has to prove it. So it sounds like bragging, but not really because the team has to show up and prove themselves. He has confidence, so that's a good thing. Time will tell. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Moving the draft to the Dallas area is probably also about ratings.An article mentioned that the Cowboys games are some of the most popular on TV. I've noticed that they get a lot of primetime games. So, the idea would be that people would tune it just to see a Cowboys venue. 

Is the "Madden Curse" real? Some people think it is. Myself, I don't know. It does bear watching, though.  Have to see what happens to NE after putting Brady on the cover. 

Hankins thinks that the Colts have the best defense in the AFC right now. Reading the rest of the article, he said that it looks good on paper, but now the team has to prove it. So it sounds like bragging, but not really because the team has to show up and prove themselves. He has confidence, so that's a good thing. Time will tell. 

@teganslaw

Hey Tegan I read about your Colt's D ....should be fun to see how they do in action! ..

Redskin Coach Cruden was impressed with the free agents and rookies, especially Jonathan Allen who Gruden says has great football knowledge, great hands, and all the tools everything you're looking for.  He liked the way the rest of the rookies looked too, but as you said, gotta see them on the field!   

Yep, the Madden curse has a good track record....I wonder if EA Sports has to check with the playeer and/or team before they decide on the "cover boy".......At least Tom is taking it on with a sense of humor, but I wonder if the Pat's Office staff is mandated to wear lucky 4 leaf clovers to "break the curse"....LOL!!!    

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/the-madden-curse/

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

I think that Patriots defense is going to be really tough to beat. The talent they've acquired this year is pretty amazing. It's really hard to see a way the Patriots can be beat this coming season.

The Madden curse is something of a psychological issue for the players who make the cover. Players generally say that the less you think of getting injured, the less likely it is you'll get injured. When you start thinking about the curse, it becomes a distraction and bad things happen.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

In my area, we've been hearing talk for a few months now of Dallas wanting next years

draft.  I guess they just made it official today.  Why wouldn't Dallas want to host the draft??  We are offering both the AT&T Stadium and the Star.  Think what you want about Jerry, but he is one good business man and very passionate about his team.   I don't often defend the man, but I'll give him credit when credit is due.  

I think our stadium woiuld be the ideal place to host - "If you build it, they will come"

Well, it's built, the Star is completed....they will come.

I'm having doubts about how successful Dallas will be this season.  I put off making any

Minnesota reservations. Smiley Happy

We've filled many of the holes in our defense, but our defense is young.  Young makes mistakes.  So we'll see.  

Ummm Spurt, those so called fans who are jumping back on the Dallas wagon were never True Blue Cowboy fans.  We NEVER jump off.  The jumpers should switch over to the Texans. Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

@yellowrose 

The Cowboys will be interesting to watch this year. They could go 14-2 or 2-14. You just don't know. They lost a couple of offensive linemen and much of the defense. Getting off to a fast start will be critical to them. If they start out 0-2 the press will start talking about Romo coming back and that could divide the team. It's going to be an interesting year to watch the Cowboys.

With the Giants, Broncos, Cards, Rams and Packers as the first five games, a 1-4 start isn't out of the question. Going 5-0 would be a challenge. 3-2 or 2-3 seem the most likely. 1-4 or 2-3 would likely start the Romo rumors. The only "sure" wins would seem to be the Rams and Niners in the season. There are some fairly brutal games also. At the Broncos is never easy. At the Raiders, Falcons and Cards are pretty challenging games also. NFC East games are never easy. It's going to be an interesting season.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Emmitt Smith thinks we'll be "OK" this year  OK  sounds like

another 8-8.  Smiley Sad

That burst my bubble but was a reality check also once he

started talking facts.

He's looking at 2018-19 being our year.

But it all remains to be seen.  We all start out the season

with another round of Hope and excitement.

Come what may - I am sooo ready for some football!!!

Honored Contributor

@yellowrose wrote:

In my area, we've been hearing talk for a few months now of Dallas wanting next years

draft.  I guess they just made it official today.  Why wouldn't Dallas want to host the draft??  We are offering both the AT&T Stadium and the Star.  Think what you want about Jerry, but he is one good business man and very passionate about his team.   I don't often defend the man, but I'll give him credit when credit is due.  

I think our stadium woiuld be the ideal place to host - "If you build it, they will come"

Well, it's built, the Star is completed....they will come.

I'm having doubts about how successful Dallas will be this season.  I put off making any

Minnesota reservations. Smiley Happy

We've filled many of the holes in our defense, but our defense is young.  Young makes mistakes.  So we'll see.  

Ummm Spurt, those so called fans who are jumping back on the Dallas wagon were never True Blue Cowboy fans.  We NEVER jump off.  The jumpers should switch over to the Texans. Smiley Happy  

@yellowrose

Well you know why a lot of the Cowboy fans jumped off the bandwagon.......They said they hated Jerry Jones but a few wins brought them back.  Some didnt like Tony Romo ........The poor Texans would be happy to have any fans outside of Houston....I felt sorry for the players that visited here which generated very little interest..........