Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for May 2017!!!

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt

On the Bleeding Green Nation website they have a story about Josh Norman and his showdowns with Alshon Jeffery over the last couple of years and suffice to say, Alshon has gotten the better of those by a wide margin, so I think that's why Josh was unusually subdued talking about Alshon. Alshon is a big, bad dude on the football field and you're better off not provoking him.

I saw an interview with Kirk Cousins the other day where he said he was upbeat about the direction negotiations were going, but he'd have to see where they stood in July when the deadline comes along. I get the impression he's not signing unless they knock his socks off.

Reports out of Eagles camp is that the new kids are looking good. Derek Barnett has been working on his spin move and surprised watchers who thought it was a bit blah in college. He's stepped it up substantially and if he can combine his speed rush with the spin move, he could be quite a force.

@gardenman

Gee I look at my post and your response and I saw the auto spell check had changed Josh Norman to John Norman....SHEESH!!! Gotta turn that thing off and just go with my own misspelled words..LOL!....

Well to give Josh some slack he had no help at all back in the secondary and very little help by the ENTIRE defense....And the team will be going with more off man covrage....Ill have to really pay attention to that matchup of Josh vs Alshon Jeffery this season..........

I think Kirk Cousin's agent told Kirk to play it cool and let him do the negotiating....although I found it a bit strange early in the year that he did get a bit antsy and went right to Snyder to ask him what were the teams plans and did plan to trade him....where was his agent then????????  

Jonathon Allen has impressed....other teammates have mentiond his veteran like presence and almost a Reggi White type calmness.  They are bringing him along slowly and Allen mentiond Coach Tomsula is a real technician, repeating drills until thy get it right and wanting him to stay lower more consistancy and placing his hands in the right spot.  They are bringing Alln along slowly and most of his work has been with the third team defense and want him to learn and get his feet wet first, but see him progressing fast......

TE Jordan Reed was not at the OTAs....he's working out with Chad Johnson of all people...I wonder if Jordan will get some celebration ideas from Chad---Woman LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Well although Redskin CB Josh Norman had said he was surprised at all the animosity between fans and players between the teams in the NFC East, looks like he's adding fuel to the fire with there was going to be bad blood this year with his battles with the Giant's Odell Beckham Jr and the Cowboys Dez Bryant.   And saying if you thought the NFC East didnt like each other before, watch this year---there's going to be a lot of fines and maybe some suspensions.....it's going to get ugly!!!  One of the differences he said will be because he actually has a safety with an attitude on the team with him this year. (DJ Swearinger)...and even if things go south, Norman is going to let all heck break loose........So it sounds like the battles between teams in the NFC East will be VERY INTERESTING.....my only question, @gardenman  why didnt Norman mention any of the Eagle's WRs..............

The Redskins have now signed all their draft picks.....all but one had been signed earlier in May except for CB Fabian Moreau who just got signed today.........hmmm with no GM who did all that signing?????????

@teganslaw

I saw that the Colts have been impressed with the 4th round pick, Marlon Mack---good vision, quickness and explosiveness...........

They said the Colt's punter, Pat McAfee didnt like Grigson either and tweeted a couple of words out on Twitter...LOL!!!  ......gotta love a punter like that!!! ..

Current GM Ballard said Grigson did deserve credit for one thing, he added offensive line talent in 2016, Ballard said it helped him because this years OL draft class was weak?  What do you think??????

The Browns have a baseball analytic guy on board....so who knows what that team saw to pick up Grigson.........The Browns are one strange team...........

Grigson did add C Ryan Kelly and OT Le'Raven Clark in the 2016 draft. Both have worked out well. Joe Haeg also had some good games, so there were some talented picks.  Pat McAfee didn't get along with Grigson, and isn't afraid to say how he feels. There are reports that Grigson didn't acknowledge certain players, that there were some personality clashes. I don't think that he got along with Irsay.

Pagano has said some good things about Mack. To be honest, Pagano tends to buid up all players, but in this case, I think that Mack was a good pick. All reports on him by others have been positive.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Some interesting comments on what I like to refer to as "the NFL's most exciting division" (as defined by me---LOL):

Here are some interesting cap numbers...............

The Cowboys come in with about 3.5 m

Everyone except the most loyal of Cowboys fans knew this would be a difficult offseason. The team had a large number of free agents.The Cowboys need a very productive draft to fill in many gaps, specifically on defense. 

The Eagles are a bit capped strapped, although their GM Howie Roseman did some number crunching and the Eagles sit at about 3.6 mill in cap space(according to overthecap.com), athough they have not signed their first round draft pick, who is projected to get around 2.3 mill)...............

The Redskins have 4.5 mill in cap space with all their draft picks signed.......the big question for the Redskins is how the cap will change for future years if Kirk Cousins gets signed to a long term deal, or yet another franchise tag....stay turned.  

The Giants are in really good shape with 7.8 mill in cap space.....athough they signed defensive help in 2016 and offensive hep in 2017, they still did not beef up their OL........Some criticized the Giants for giving JPP a $62 mill ($40 mill guaranteed) deal, placing in amongst the top 10 defenders---which he isnt...............

BTW Some compare the Eagles draft pick, Derek Barnett to the Redskins Ryan Kerrigan..............Woman Very Happy

Josh Norman didnt forget about the Eagles's Alshon Jeffery said he circled WR's on the schedule and Jeffery is one of them..........he's a big guy, he uses his body, Norman said he thinks he can get physical with me......  The gauntlet has been thrown.......... Smiley Wink

Ranking of NFC East running back duos---

Of course the Cowboys---Elliott and McFadden were ranked number 1, but lets see if Elliott can stay out of trouble off the field.............

For second place, the Eagles made a big upgrade at RB signing former Patriot Blount, they also have Sproles and possibly Matthews ......

The Redskins are 3rd with "fat" Rob and rookie Perine who has a real chance to elevate the Redskin's running game...........

And on the bottom is the Giants--worst running back duo in the division with Perkins and Vareen,  one analyst said good thing they rely on Eli and their WRs.........Maybe they should have signed dancer Ben Vereen...he's only 70  LOL!!!  Or perhaps consider re-signing DWTS winner Rashad Jennings, maybe the dancing experience will help him move past those defenders...........Woman Very Happy

Dallas is the favorite with Vegas to win the NFC East 6-5 odds, Giants, 5-2, and Redskins and Eagles both at 4-1

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

It's been an interesting off season in the NFC East. The Cowboys lost both starters and depth on defense and the offensive line. They really need to have some kids step up and no injuries.

The Eagles started scooping up o-linemen as soon as the season ended, then got lots of offensive weapons to support Carson Wentz. The Eagles offense has potential to be special this year. The defense will be "interesting." Our defensive backs are not especially impressive, but hopefully the d-line can mount enough pressure to cover for them. The Eagles just restructured McLeod's contract and now reportedly have around $5 million in cap space.

The Redskins lost Garcon and DeSean Jackson which could hurt them a bit, plus two new coordinators. The uncertainty of Kirk Cousin's contract is likely getting a bit old for the players.

The Giants are really counting on Eli being great this year. He hasn't played at that level recently however. His o-line has not been great and they haven't done a lot to address the o-line.

I don't think there's a clear favorite in the NFC East this year. Any of the four teams could grab it. It's going to be a fun year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

Wow I didnt realize that the Colt's kicker, Adam Vinatieri was 44!!! He's still going strong and no plans to retire...........maybe there's hope for my Spur's Manu Ginobili he's "only" 39 and will be 40 in July----LOL!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@teganslaw

Wow I didnt realize that the Colt's kicker, Adam Vinatieri was 44!!! He's still going strong and no plans to retire...........maybe there's hope for my Spur's Manu Ginobili he's "only" 39 and will be 40 in July----LOL!!!

Adam Vinatieri just keeps on going! He wants to play for another couple years, and can still make those field goals. The day he does retire will be a sad day for the Colts.
I don't know who Manu Ginobili is since I'm not into basketball, but he probably could use Vinatieri as a mentor.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

I wouldnt be surprised if Adam decided to play on and even broke George Blanda's record---he was 48 when he retired..........

Just saw where ESPN got rid of long time reporter/journalist John Clayton......yet they hire Chip Kelly as a college analyst I don't know if his personality will be a good fit for TV....Woman Frustrated

Only 99 days to the start of the NFL season....wow time goes by quickly and can't be soon enough.....I miss the NFL!!! 

Honored Contributor

July is the most dead month of the NFL year. The OTA's have wrapped up and pretty much everyone goes on vacation, then comes August and the start of training camps and the exhibition games, then in September things really kick into high gear. About all we hear in July is players who get into trouble and suspensions.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

My Redskins start Training Camp July 27th....I can't wait! Woman Very Happy