Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for March 2019!!!

More bad news for the Cowboys----Cole Beasley wants 20 Mill guaranteed.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Yesterday at the combine we saw Montez Sweat, a 6'-6" 260 lb defensive end run a 4.41 forty yard dash. Bear in mind the fastest forty we saw was a 4.31, and that was by a smaller guy who'll likely slow down with pads on, while for a guy Sweat's size, the pads will have very little impact. The athleticism you're seeing from big guys these days is amazing.

Yeah, AB is just trying to use whatever power he has to get someplace he wants to be and avoid going someplace he doesn't want to be. You would likely be seeing a completely different AB if the Steelers had given his agent permission to seek a trade. (Which is why smarter teams give the agent permission to seek a trade. They know how a player can poison the market.) AB is doing everything in his power to make sure no one wants him so the Steelers will have to cut him loose. Then he can pick a team he likes and assure them he did it all for show.

Cole Beasley is a Patriot type slot receiver. You just can't cover him in short yardage situations. If he and the QB are on the same page, those third and fives are automatic first downs. He'll convert third and ten situations probably seventy percent of the time. The $20 million guaranteed won't be an issue for many teams. That $20 million is over the length of the contract, so on a four year deal that's just $5 million a year. Kirk Cousins got what, $78 million guaranteed? On a five year deal you're talking about $4 million a year guaranteed. It's a smart asking price on his part. This is likely his money contract, so set yourself up to live comfortably no matter what. Lots of teams will bring in a guy, then flush them the next year. Beasley will likely need some time to mesh with a new QB, so by getting guaranteed money, he's forcing any team that signs him to give him that time. Some QB's just never mesh with a receiver (DeSean Jackson and Jameis Winston) which hurts the receiver's numbers and diminishes their perceived value. Beasley's trying to prevent that from happening.

Technically, the Jags and Foles can't have had any talks at all since Nick is still technically an Eagle. But, stuff happens. Agents use other players they rep on teams as go betweens to negotiate with teams long before the official legal tampering period starts. I still suspect things might change depending on what else happens over the next week or so. When everyone agrees a guy is going to a team, it's often a smoke screen. We'll have to see what happens. The Jags might have other plans. Nick might have other suitors. A wildcard or two might come into play. Maybe the Giants want Nick and the Jags want Eli? Who knows? Maybe Cousins enters the pool and distracts everyone. I think the rest of March and April will be kind of crazy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Looking at who the Eagles interviewed at the Combine, you get the impression they're interested in drafting a runningback. They interviewed thirteen runningbacks, one wide receiver, two tight ends, four offensive linemen, two defensive ends, and one defensive tackle. Yeah. Suffice to say finding a new runningback seems like a top priority.

Bryce Love, the Heisman runner-up in 2017, is an interesting guy to watch. He was a Heisman favorite to start the season but then injuries and poor play derailed him. In his four years at Stanford he averaged  7.8 yards per carry in 2015, 7.1 in 2016, 8.1 in 2017, and then 4.5 in 2018. Teams are going to go crazy trying to figure out the drop-off and whether it was a blip (injury, bad line play, etc.) or if that's who they'll get if they draft the kid.

Last year at this time you could make a pretty good argument he'd be a top twenty pick if he'd come out. This year he might slip out of the draft entirely. He's coming off a torn ACL in December which doesn't help him any. He's a guy who a lot of teams will pass on and may come back to wish they hadn't if he regains his earlier form. He probably won't be back up to full speed until next year, but even at 80% he's pretty darn good. I suspect someone will take a chance on him in the third or fourth round and be glad they did.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

ALL of our sports talk yesterday was about how FAST these players are!

however, they were also wondering if they can actually CATCH the ball.

speed is great, but not without those all important catching skills.

nevertheless, sports talk personalities seemed to be impressed at this point in time with the auditioning players.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

ALL of our sports talk yesterday was about how FAST these players are!

however, they were also wondering if they can actually CATCH the ball.

speed is great, but not without those all important catching skills.

nevertheless, sports talk personalities seemed to be impressed at this point in time with the auditioning players.

@sunshine45 

It reminds me of former Redskin WR Michael Westbrook he is a good example of what your saying. He was the 4th pick in 95 draft, one of the hottest receivers coming out of college, never lived up to expectations....his claim to fame was a fight he had with teammate RB Stephen Davis.  He's listed as one of the most overrated Redskins in the team's franchise history, Westbrook is #2, and #1 is QB Heath Schuler 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

we have had our share also......including breshad perriman who was a first round draft pick for us in 2015. the redskins had him for a hot minute before releasing him. now he is on the browns. unfortunately a big waste of money for us.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

The Chiefs are releasing Justin Houston. It probably won't be long before he finds another team.

The Dolphins are the front runners for Trey Flowers right now. I don't know how much they have in salary cap, as he could be expensive.

One Colts writer makes a point on how Preston Smith would be a good fit for Indy. The article makes sense, and I would be for signing him. I would also like to get Landon Collins; either one would work.

It looks like Peyton Manning will decline the spot on ESPN. As hard as they try, the networks just aren't successful in signing him. Manning must enjoy retirement too much to be interested.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Lots of franchise tags got passed around yesterday. The Cowboys used one on Demarcus Lawrence. The Chiefs on Dee Ford. The Texans on Jadeveon Clowney. The Seahawks on Frank Clark. The Chiefs apparently used their tag on Ford with the intention to trade him since they're switching defenses. 

The Cowboys are pretty much backed in to a corner with Lawrence. He says he won't sign the tag or show up without a longterm deal, and they're reportedly far, far apart on value. They'll be paying him in excess of $20 million this year and around $30 million next year if they tag him again, so he wants a deal worth around $25 million a year since they'pay him that over the next two seasons if they tagged him.

The Giants haven't used the tag on Landon Collins, their safety and best defensive player. No one can quite understand why, but hey, they're the Giants. 

The Eagles have locked up two of the offensive linemen with extensions with new deals for Jason Kelce and Isaac Seumalo. There's some chatter that the Eagles could trade Michael Bennett if anyone's interested. He wasn't thrilled with the defensive line rotation last year, so the Eagles are willing to move him if the right offer comes along. The Eagles have good depth on the d-line and they have Joe Ostman who came on strong with the practice squad towards the end of last season.

Filling that MNF booth has been a challenge for ESPN. They've never nailed the job yet. Get the right mix and it would be a huge hit, but they keep swinging and missing.q

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw @gardenman 

Redskin fans want Landon Collins.....And also from reports TEGAN it looks like Preston Smith will be available, looks like Redskins will let him walk and draft someone cheap and young in the draft....

Yep the Cowboys are in trouble trying to keep Lawtence, haven't even begun with Dak yet...

Rapoport reports Raiders, Broncos, Cardinals are among the teams that have appeared most intrigued by the possibility of trading for Brown.  Can you picture Brown with "Chuckie"...LOL!!!  Or AB going to the Cards and Larry Fitzgerald laughingly saying....I told you be careful what you wish for.........

Texans definitely need to re-sign Clowney.....

Honored Contributor

I think teams around the league are going a bit nuts trying to figure out what to do about Antonio Brown. Do you make a deal for him knowing he could be trouble? He's supremely talented but 31 years old and a bit of a diva. There's talk he wants a new deal wherever he goes and it won't be for less money. The Steelers have a big $2.5 million bonus due him in March and they'd prefer not to pay him that. What to do with him is probably keeping half the league front offices up nights. If you're a coach you love the talent the guy has, but is he a cancer? If you're a GM is he worth whatever the Steelers are asking for him, and then how much more will it take to make him happy? Can you wait out the Steelers and assume they'll waive him rather than pay him the bonus he's due this month?

There are lots and lots and lots of questions about AB and very few answers right now. I dare say a whole lot of GM's are having sleepless nights wondering how to handle that situation. He's one of the best, if not the best receiver in football. You can't always just get a guy like that. He's there. He's available. He could help your team, or destroy your team. Which side of the gamble do you take? Do you go safe and avoid him? (I would.) Do you take the chance and give up a significant value for him? (I wouldn't.) He's the ultimate wildcard this offseason.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!