Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for March 2019!!!

Interesting. Teddy Bridgewater is resigning with the Saints rather than taking more money with the Dolphins. I wonder what he knows that we don't? Is this Drew Brees' last year with the Saints? He stands no chance to beat out Brees and become the starter, but he could have had a shot at being the starter, if not handed the role, in Miami. So, why resign for less money to stay in New Orleans as the backup when he could have been the starter in Miami? It'll be interesting to see the length of the contract. A three or four year deal loaded with incentives would imply he's been promised the starting role in the near future. A one year deal, well, that would be harder to explain. 

With a deluge of good young QB's expected in next year's draft, this would be a good time to take a starting job and lock down your role. Teams needing a QB next year will more likely be targeting a kid in the draft than Bridgewater. It's considered a mediocre QB draft class this year, so it would be a good time to steal a starting job as teams aren't looking to the draft for a savior. Is Miami that toxic of a place to play these days that you turn down a starting role and more money to stay a backup?

That's all very interesting and odd. Either Teddy knows something we don't, or he's making a really odd decision. We'll have to see how that all works out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

About Funchess: Newton's injuries affected his numbers. One can't have high stats with a hurt QB, so I shouldn't hold that against him. 

The Patriots have placed a restricted tender on Josh Gordon for 2 million. They get a second round pick if another team signs him. I'm confused by this move. I thought that the Patriots released Gordon, and ,if I remember correctly, didn't Gordon say that he was leaving football? It looks like he will still be with the team. Maybe I misunderstood the situation, but I thought NE gave up on him. 

Josh Gordon is suspended, yet again, for a drug issue, so the Pats don't have to pay him anything unless or until the league reinstates him. (Which may take a while.) By putting the second round tender on him the Pats just basically keep control of him without having to pay him anything. If he gets clean and gets reinstated, they can then decide what to do with him. He's incredibly talented, but also incredibly flawed. As moves go though, this one pretty much costs the Pats nothing and keeps a potential asset under their control.

Funchess got open a lot in the Panthers games I saw last year, only to have Cam's pass bounce in the dirt in front of him or soar way over his head. The kid has a lot of talent, but if the QB can't get the ball to him, it doesn't show. Joining with Andrew Luck on a one year deal gives him a chance to show what he can do. (Assuming Luck's arm strength improves this offseason.) Funchess and DeSean Jackson were in simialr positions last year. Both are talented guys with QB's who either wouldn't or couldn't throw them the ball. Both guys have a chance to excel this year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

About Funchess: Newton's injuries affected his numbers. One can't have high stats with a hurt QB, so I shouldn't hold that against him. 

The Patriots have placed a restricted tender on Josh Gordon for 2 million. They get a second round pick if another team signs him. I'm confused by this move. I thought that the Patriots released Gordon, and ,if I remember correctly, didn't Gordon say that he was leaving football? It looks like he will still be with the team. Maybe I misunderstood the situation, but I thought NE gave up on him. 

@teganslaw 

I called mysister when I saw the Collins news...LOL...But her wish is for someone to take OBJ...she can't stand him and wants him gone-LOL!!!!

BTW what the heck are the Giants doing????? rebuilding?, tanking for next year's QB prize-Tua? trying to get Eli "killed" so they can be done with him, without disrespecting him (j/k) Smiley Wink

As far as Gordon, I thought the same as you that the Pats released him, but instead they made him a RFA for 2019?!?!?!  They dont even know if the NFL will reinstate him.  3 of the Pats  WR's are free agents....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Interesting. Teddy Bridgewater is resigning with the Saints rather than taking more money with the Dolphins. I wonder what he knows that we don't? Is this Drew Brees' last year with the Saints? He stands no chance to beat out Brees and become the starter, but he could have had a shot at being the starter, if not handed the role, in Miami. So, why resign for less money to stay in New Orleans as the backup when he could have been the starter in Miami? It'll be interesting to see the length of the contract. A three or four year deal loaded with incentives would imply he's been promised the starting role in the near future. A one year deal, well, that would be harder to explain. 

With a deluge of good young QB's expected in next year's draft, this would be a good time to take a starting job and lock down your role. Teams needing a QB next year will more likely be targeting a kid in the draft than Bridgewater. It's considered a mediocre QB draft class this year, so it would be a good time to steal a starting job as teams aren't looking to the draft for a savior. Is Miami that toxic of a place to play these days that you turn down a starting role and more money to stay a backup?

That's all very interesting and odd. Either Teddy knows something we don't, or he's making a really odd decision. We'll have to see how that all works out.

@gardenman 

I think the Dolphins are a bit of a mess....They shopped Tannehill to the Redskins...---not even the Redskins wanted him...and no takers...

Who knows maybe it will be Brees last year....Brees contract is up in 2020....maybe the Saints will do what the Colts did with Peyton and decide to move on....Brees will be 41 next year, Bridgewater is no Brees but they could go with Bridgewater in 2020, a cheap interim solution and draft a young QB and have him sit and learn for a year......We will have to wait and see...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Lions went crazy yesterday (and Sunday) we signed Danny Amendola, Justin Coleman, Trey Flowers and Jesse James!!

This is the biggest FA that I can remember in my Lions life!!  Maybe Matt Patricia is the real deal???!!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The website Over The Cap's been updated and includes Collins figures---

2019-Base salary 1 mill,   Pro-rated 3 mill, Cap hit 4 mill

2020                     10                         4.2                 14.2 

2021                     12.5                      4.2                 17.2 

2022                     11.5                      4.2                  16.2

2023                     12.5                      4.2                  17.2 

2024                     13.5                      1.2                  15.2

Also gets a 500,000 bonus if he is on the roster each year

Redskins currently have 9.9 mill in cap before making cuts they talked about, will need 3 mill for draft picks.................

https://overthecap.com

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone!

Just a quick in and out to say how thrilled I am for Nick Foles! Never hid that I preferred him to Carson Wentz ... and still do. Think Foles is a phenomenal QB who deserves every penny he will receive from JAX!! The way he came in at the end of the season two years in a row and rallied both the offense and defense to spectacular play was so impressive. Throughout his career he has racked up stats in certain categories that rival Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. And he is the only QB in the history of the Eagles to win a Super Bowl!! 

So now Foles will be in charge of his own team. With his cool and calm demeanor and extraordinary playing skills, I have every confidence that he is up to the challenge! Wish him nothing but the best!! Congrats to St.Nick!!!

As to Wentz, he is entering his 4th year and has yet to even play in a single playoff game! Talk about pressure! This will be a make or break year for him, imo. He certainly is very talented but he needs to be able to not only finish out games with wins, but finish out the season. Until Wentz makes it to the playoffs ... and wins all of the playoff games leading to the Super Bowl ... and wins the Super Bowl ... and is named MVP of the Super Bowl ... he will be playing in the shadow of Nick Foles. That may sound harsh but it is true. There is a statue of Foles outside of the stadium honoring the Philly Special call Foles made in the Super Bowl. Wentz sees that statue as a constant reminder that until he too is the MVP of a Super Bowl, he will not match Foles. To eclipse Foles he will have to win two Super Bowls. Can he do it? Absolutely! But until he does, the pressure will be weighing very heavily on him.

Personally I wish the Eagles had kept Foles and traded Wentz. But I will now become a fan of JAX on the AFC side! Congrats again to St. Nick!!! Very well deserved to receive such a massive $$ contract!! 

Hope you all are doing well ... see you after the 2020 election!!! Back now to my political blogging!!

Honored Contributor

@redwingsgal wrote:

The Lions went crazy yesterday (and Sunday) we signed Danny Amendola, Justin Coleman, Trey Flowers and Jesse James!!

This is the biggest FA that I can remember in my Lions life!!  Maybe Matt Patricia is the real deal???!!!!

The Lions needed to make some moves. The Bears are looking very good, the Vikings look pretty close to the Bears. The Packers could rebound if things work out right. If you stand still you lose ground. Amendola and Flowers are guys Patricia knows, so that's potentially good. The big key for the Lions is Matt Stafford. They need a big year out of him. He's their mystery man right now. He largely controls how things go for the Lions this year. If he has a good year, things could look good in Detroit. If he doesn't look good, the Lions could look to draft his replacement.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@redwingsgal wrote:

@redwingsgal 

Maybe Matt will turn them into the Patriots of the NFC Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@yellowBeetle 

Hi, good to see you, we miss you! 😊.....

I tend to agree with you and let's see if Wentz can even stay healthy for a full year...................