Respected Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for March 2019!!!

All true, but if he doesn't have a good QB, he will have a meltdown.

He is asking fans to send him $500 and he will give them a personal shout out on video.

Don't go away mad, just go away.

Esteemed Contributor

If I'm sending A.B. $500 I want more in return than just a video shout out. Maybe season tickets, and a jersey, even though he won't be in Pittsburgh much longer. I wonder if any fans are actually going to send him the money.

The Colts resigned DL Margus Hunt. He was an important part of the defense this past year, so I'm glad that the team was able to keep him.

It seems that the reason the Giants aren't tagging Landon Collins is because they consider the price ot the tag (11.5 million) too high. There are already other teams who would like him even before he's released.

One report mentions that the Cowboys and Eagles have inquired about RB Duke Johnson. Any truth or is that just a rumor?  Since signing Kareem Hunt, Johnson becomes expendable. Hunt will be suspended several games, but the Browns have Chubb to take over.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Highlighted
Contributor

@teganslaw  My son has a couple of AB jerseys he’ll sell you on the cheap! 🙄 What is truly wrong w him?! He was always a diva but as long as he got his share of balls thrown to him and his pats on the back, he was bearable for 9 years. I really think @gardenman has it correct. He’s trying to push his way out of Pit. I hope the Rooney’s stick to their guns and at least get what they can for him(they want a first round) and send him off to a QB without an arm. Hope it’s soon too.  Tired of all his shanigans. 

Hearing lots outs of talk that the Jets want Le’Veon but are concerned as most teams are what his football conditioning is. He hasn’t put out any recent pics of himself so maybe they have a right to be. 

Honored Contributor

Regarding the Eagles and Duke Johnson, yeah, the Eagles are interested. The Eagles are looking everywhere for running backs this offseason. I think teams are allowed twenty interviews at the combine, the Eagles used thirteen on running backs. They're looking at the free agents, draft picks, undrafted rookies, checking the Mars Rovers images to see if they see anything moving fast. They're literally leaving no stone unturned in the search for a back. If you've ever touched a football and run with it, they've likely looked at your film.

The Eagles want a running back who will scare defensive coordinators. Defensive coordinators now routinely go nickel and dime on the Eagles, knowing they don't have to worry about stopping the run. If the Eagles can force defenses out of the nickel looks, it then forces favorable matchups in the passing game. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Eagles draft multiple running backs.

I'm intrigued by Stanford's Bryce Love. He was the Heisman runner-up in 2017, and a preseason favorite in 2018. Injuries dinged him, and a torn ACL ultimately took him out in December, but when healthy, he was what the Eagles want. He might drop as low as the fourth round, and he might need to be red-shirted year one to get back to speed from the torn ACL, but his kind of talent is hard to find. I could see the Eagles drafting him and sitting him for a year if the kid looks good as he recovers. I have no idea where Josh Jacob will be drafted, but if he's there at 25, I think the Eagles would take him. (Mock drafts have him going in the top ten, and falling out of the first round completely.) Get Jacobs in the first and Love in the fourth would be kind of neat. Jacobs is a bruising, power runner, while Love is more fast and elusive. They could be a heck of a one-two punch.

But yeah, if you hear the name of a runningback, you can bet the Eagles are looking at him. (Or her, from the lingerie league, or it from Mars.) No stone is being left unturned.The

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Well, the franchise tags have all been placed and we now know who the free agents truly will be this year. Most of the top defensive ends who'd headlined the list earlier have been tagged or resigned by their teams, so now you're down to the Ziggy Ansah's of the world if you need a new DE.

Le'Veon Bell is still the big name out there. Lots of rumors floating around about him. Some have said his weight has ballooned up to 285 since he didn't play last year. (I doubt that, but we'll see.)

Teams that might need a QB are likely taking a fresh look at the names available now that they know who will be available. Teddy Bridgewater is probably the guy with the most potential upside, if he could stay healthy. Foles is probably the best plug and play starter, but tends to be streaky.  

Monday starts the "legal tampering" period which truthfully never really starts or ends, but goes on nonstop. GM's and agents can formally conduct contract talks on free agents starting Monday, but informal chatter has gone on through intermediaries for weeks, months, and even years in some cases. By and large most teams know who they want to sign, if the player and his agent are amenable, and know who their competition will be. Now they just have to put it all together. New teams may jump in to surprise everyone, but that happens. Expect next Wednesday to be a crazy day as the signings take place after 4 PM. Prior to that we'll get lots of rumors and reports, but then the official word starts leaking out after four. Most teams will have a priority signing or two they want done ASAP and we'll see some big names fly off the board quickly. It should be fun.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette a trade deal for AB will be announced before Friday. 

Honored Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:

According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette a trade deal for AB will be announced before Friday. 

Yeah. The Steelers have reportedly told any team interested to get their best offer in ASAP. It sounds like they have an acceptible offer on the table and they're giving others a chance to beat it, if not the gavel will come down and the auction will be over. What happens next will be interesting. Will AB approve of the trade and show up? Will he hold out for a new deal? Will he walk away if he doesn't approve? Fun times.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

Thank Goodness!! My guess is the 27th pick from the Raiders. Good-by Mr. Big chest. never thought I'd be saying this but so TIRED of hearing about him everyday.

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@JillyMarie wrote:

Yeah. The Steelers have reportedly told any team interested to get their best offer in ASAP. It sounds like they have an acceptible offer on the table and they're giving others a chance to beat it, if not the gavel will come down and the auction will be over. What happens next will be interesting. Will AB approve of the trade and show up? Will he hold out for a new deal? Will he walk away if he doesn't approve? Fun times.

I don't think AB has the contractual right to negate a trade.  Now he can always throw one of his hissy fits and refuse to play, but no one will be paying him.  He can retire for all I care.  And he can take Ben with him. 

Esteemed Contributor

The Jets and Cardinals pulled out of the A.B. sweepstakes; the Raiders are in as well as a couple unnamed teams. I can't see Brown approving a deal to the Raiders, but who knows what's really on his mind?

Who will ESPN hire for MNF? The Colts former punter, Pat McAfee is pulling for the job, but I don't see him getting it. McAfee has a wicked sense of humor and is not politically correct. He would have to tone things down to comply with ESPN standards.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain