Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for March 2019!!!

And now things get really crazy! March madness in the NFL is about to ensue. In March we get the combine, the start of free agency, lots of player shuffling, and the buildup to the draft in April.

A new wave of free agency kicks off after some free agents get signed. Teams that had decided to keep a guy because he's better than most of the rest, will sign a free agent they weren't expecting to sign and the guy they were keeping will no longer have any value to them and be cut loose. Rosters will get shuffled on a near daily basis as players come and go and you literally won't be able to tell the players without a scorecard.

By the end of the month the league will look a lot different than it does today on the first of March. Expect some trades to go down, some before the start of free agency, some after when team fails to land a coveted free agent. It's going to be a wild and crazy month!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for March 2019!!!

just great.......one of the ravens running backs, alex collins, has been arrested following a car crash early this morning. no details have been released yet.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

The Eagles have made some news by resigning Brandon Graham to a three year $40 million deal. Brandon hadn't seemed enthusiastic about testing free agency, but given the likely money out there, it was assumed he would. Now he's not. Frankly, it's probably a below market value deal for him with top tier guys getting around $20 million a year, but he's seen lots of defensive ends leave Philly only to end up getting cut elsewhere, so he's sticking with more of a sure thing in Philly. He's seen Trent Cole leave Philly to end up being out of the league, and just last year Vinny Curry chased the money only to be a cap casualty this year. I would guess he'd have gotten between $15-$20 million per year in free agency, so settling for $13+ million a year is a sign of how badly he wanted to stay.

As a desirable free agent you can find yourself in a penthouse one year as everyone courts you, then a change in team philosophy can find you kicked to the curb the next year with few if any suitors. With Graham resigned that puts less need on drafting a defensive end early in the draft. The Eagles are getting things done. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm happy Brandon resigned!  He is a big part of keeping the team grounded in that locker room.  Didn't hurt that he was a big part of our Super Bowl win;  he made Brady cough up the ball!!!

Just hoping Howie gets some other important players signed soon.  I think it's a mistake to let Nick go.  Hope that doesn't come back to bite us.  (Wish the Phillies had used some of that ridiculous money as a loan to keep Nick here.). I like Carson, however, he has a history of getting hurt, even while in college.

Do you find it strange that Jason Whitten retired for a year???  Could be have had an injury that stayed unreported while he sat in the broadcast booth?  Something seems off.

Honored Contributor

I think Witten thought he could do what Tony Romo did, only to find out broadcasting was a lot harder than he thought it would be. Now the Cowboys could lose two tight ends in free agency. They don't have a first round pick. There aren't solid options in free agency. Witten may have heard that ESPN was looking to replace him. So, when Jerry Jones gave him a call and asked him to come back, it probably sounded like a really good idea to him. Dealing with network executives is challenging and I suspect Witten got very tired of it very quickly.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I think Witten thought he could do what Tony Romo did, only to find out broadcasting was a lot harder than he thought it would be. Now the Cowboys could lose two tight ends in free agency. They don't have a first round pick. There aren't solid options in free agency. Witten may have heard that ESPN was looking to replace him. So, when Jerry Jones gave him a call and asked him to come back, it probably sounded like a really good idea to him. Dealing with network executives is challenging and I suspect Witten got very tired of it very quickly.

@gardenman 

Working at ESPN MNF isnt easy...When I work from home I'll have ESPN on in the background....I've seen Witten do an interview the Golic and Wingo Show at 6AM.....then do Sports Center, and other shows, then do the NFL Live Show in the late afternoon, then I'm sure he watches a lot of game film and interview players/coaches, MNF production meetings etc..He talks o Scott Van Pelt after the game...And he has to keep up with whats going on in the League, then theres the combine and draft...never ends.....He probably thought he had more off time as a player..... OR maybe he was let go as you said like ESPN did to Charles Woodson and Trent Dilfer....Cris Carter.  

An online betting site has these as possible replacemets and odds....

Peyton Manning 2 to 1

Other favorites:

Louis Riddick (9/4),

Panthers TE Greg Olsen (7/2) even though he said he wants to play in 2019

Hall of Famer Kurt Warner (6/1),

Former Seahawks QB Matt Hasselbeck (9/1).

Tim Tebow, is a longshot at 33-to-1.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Trey Wingo has been involved broadcasting NFL shows and the NFL Draft....He said when the Combine starts until March 13th don't believe anything you hear team owners, GMs and scouts say....just smoke screens folks.....

Bruce Allen on taking a QB at 15 - We will take the best player on our draft board...

download (1).jpg

WR DK Metcalf says the #Redskins were his favorite interview this week.

2019 NFL Scouting Combine: Doug Williams doesn’t think the Redskins starting LG is on the roster.  Williams said he doesn't anticipate the #Redskins moving up in the draft because they have too many holes to fill.  They can't give up picks to get one guy because one guy won't fix their problems.

Former Redskin TE and radio boadcaster, Chris Cooley on Dwayne Haskins - “I wouldn’t take him in the first round.” Says there’s a lot to work with him on... also said he’s easily rattled.

@teganslaw 

Here's something interesting ---Brett Rypien, QB from Boise State is the nephew of former Redskin's QB Mark Rypien. Brett knows all about his uncle’s importance in Redskins history, but he’s only seen him play on old tapes. He grew up rooting for the Colts where Mark was a backup in 2001.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

The best MNF crew was the best!!!

Unless the Birds are playing, I don't watch.

Now if the other network would just replace Al and Chris, it would be so much better.  Not a fan of Joe Buck either.

We often watch the Sunday games with the sound off and the radio on.  MR has such passion for the game.

Honored Contributor

You can never believe anything team owners, GM's and coaches say. They pretty much lie 24/7/365. They pretty much have to. When you tell the truth, people will use it against you. Way back when the Eagles drafted Mike Quick, he wasn't the guy Vermeil wanted. Vermeil was good friends with the Bills head coach Chuck Knox at the time and had told him that the Eagles were going to draft Perry Tuttle. The Bills jumped ahead of the Eagles and drafted Tuttle, who flopped by the way, and Vermeil had to settle for Mike Quick, who became an all pro. It worked out well for the Eagles, but it really hurt Vermeil that a guy he trusted would stab him in the back in that manner. If you tell people the truth, they'll find a way to use it to hurt you.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

Oh my goodness!  It is March 1st! Too bad the weather in central PA doesn’t feel like it!  Is this winter ever gonna end?!?

Watched some 40 times yesterday and some drills today. Wish I could remember all these guys and what they did when the draft is held but fear I won’t at all. Listening to everyone’s mock draft is mind boggling,let alone how each team’s pick affects everyone else. Sure glad I’m not responsible for anything concerning my team. 

Saw that Bryce Harper is recruiting Le’Veon to the Eagles. The city of brotherly love better have a ton of $ ready. Steelers are re-negotiating Ben’s contract and hope to have it done soon.  And here’s hoping Mr. Big Chest keeps his mouth shut until 3/17 so we can get a trade done!

Enjoy the Combine festivities,