Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for March 2017!!!

It doesn't mean a whole lot now, but in an online poll 97% of Eagles fans approved of yesterday's signings. You're hard pressed to find anyone who's unhappy. Then when you read the comments on the Washington Post articles from DC you find that pretty much 100% of the Redskins' fan base is unhappy. The good news for Redskins fans is there will be lots of tickets available for their games. It sounds like many season ticket holders have given up on them.

It's going to be a challenging year for the Redskins. Two new coordinators installing new systems. Losing two 1,000 yard receivers. A record setting starting QB who wants out. The omens don't look great for DC. Then you've got an improved team in both Philly and NY/NJ in the Giants, and the Cowboys being whatever the Cowboys will be if they survive free agency, and there aren't a lot of obvious wins on their schedule.

It's been kind of interesting watching them implode. Three years ago they could have extended Cousins for five years at $15 million per year and he'd likely have been very happy. Two years ago they could have signed him for maybe $16-$17 million a year and he'd have been happy. Last year it would have cost them more like $20 million a year. Now he's just sick of the whole thing and wants out. If he'd sign at all in DC now, it would probably take $23-$25 million a year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

It looks like Jason Kelce of the Eagles will be gone now. He's our starting center who's a bit undersized for this offense and got pushed around a bit last year. The Eagles just resigned Stefan Wisniewski the guard/center we had last year and combined with Isaac Seumalo and Josh LeRibeus, all 300+ lb guys who can play center, it looks like Kelce is a goner. We need the cap space too. The Eagles are really getting a lot of big guards to shore up the center of the offensive line. That's where most of the pressure on Carson Wentz came from last year, so they're working to build a solid wall in front of Wentz and improve the run game both.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

And Brandin Cooks got traded to the Patriots for their first and third round picks (reportedly.)  That's interesting. The Patriots are definitely tooling up for another run at the Super Bowl. They could go undefeated in 2017 the way things are shaping up. They're putting together a really, really good team.

The Redskins signed Terrelle Pryor to a one year deal. It's kind of interesting that the Browns, with something like a hundred million in cap space, opted not to resign him. It sounds like they were expecting him to get back in touch with them and he didn't.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The latest rumor on the Tony Romo front has the Jaguars possibly making a move for him. That would make sense on a lot of fronts. They've assembled a very talented roster over the last couple of years and their only real weakness is Blake Bortles. Tom Coughlin knows how disruptive Romo can be to an opposing team. I suspect that won't happen and is merely being leaked by the Cowboys to try and motivate the Broncos/Texans to part with a pick or two to get Romo, but the Jags and Jets would both make some sense as possible landing places for Romo.

The free agent frenzy should be quieting down a bit now. The winner of the new league year is likely going to be the Patriots. They've made a strong team even stronger, and right now it's hard to see any other AFC team matching up to them unless Brady implodes in some manner. They are likely stronger on both offense and defense than they were in the Super Bowl. They may be a tick thin on the offensive line and a few injuries there could disrupt everything, but they look like the strong early favorite to win the AFC. The Texans with Clowney and JJ Watt both healthy and playing at full speed could disrupt the Patriot offense, but that Patriot defense could likely disrupt the Texans offense even more.

It's possible Brandin Cooks could make it clear to the Patriots why the Saints were so anxious to unload him. A locker room cancer can derail the best teams, but barring that (and the Patriots are legendary at their locker room being able to straighten out even the most incorrigible guys) things look messy for the rest of the AFC teams.

In the NFC, the early favorites are still likely the Cowboys. Their offense will be formidable. I'm not sure what they'll have in the way of a defense, but we'll see. The Falcons will likely slump a bit after the Super Bowl defeat and they've been pretty quiet in the off season so far. Seattle seems to have lost "it" whatever "it" is. Even their home field advantage isn't quite as intimidating as it was for a while there. I expect Carolina to rebound a bit this year. I'm not sure they'll have enough to knock off Atlanta, but last year was an embarassment to them. Green Bay will always be a threat with Aaron Rodgers.

I also like the moves the Eagles made this year so far.  The offensive line has been shored up with great depth and size. (Pretty much everyone is now over 300 pounds and in many cases well over 300 pounds,) We've signed two veteran wide receivers in Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith who are nice mirrors of the two young guys we have. Torrey Smith is an older, more experienced version of Nelson Agholor while Alshon Jeffery is an older, more experienced/mature version of Dorial Green Beckham. Both of those vets talked of being mentors in their press conferences and passing down what they've learned, so that could help the future careers of both of the kids.

The cornerbacks on defense were the Eagles achilles heel last year. We've got two kids in CJ Smith and Aaron Grymes who were largely red-shirted last year despite looking good in the preseason. We've also signed a guy from the CFL who came highly recommended. Jalen Mills proved competent when forced into a starting role as a rookie. We'll likely add a high profile kid or two in the draft also. We could use a disruptive edge rusher, but there aren't many teams in the league that couldn't use a guy like that. I think if the Eagles can stay generally healthy, they'll be contending for that NFC East crown.

The Giants have made a few moves, notably signing Brandon Marshall. The consensus of league insiders last year was that Eli Manning was the biggest problem for the Giants. He was inaccurate and missed far too many opportunities. The Giants have acknowledged that they have to get a young QB, so watching Eli perform this year could be interesting. If the Giants do draft a young QB, he'll likely steal reps from Eli which may, or may not, help Eli.

The Redskins resemble a dumpster fire at this point. Pretty much every name you've ever heard in the NFL starting with Mike Mayock, the draft guru, have been mentioned as possible GM replacements for the Redskins. None of those named sound overly enthusiastic about the job offer. Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder seem incapalbe of letting their football people run things and knowing that, the candidates don't see overly enthused about the job.

The Redskins' free agent signings aren't overly impressive. DJ Swearinger, the safety they signed, has been in the league four years now after being a second round pick of the Texans. The Redskins will be his fourth team. He's been waived by the Texans who invested a second round pick in him, and waived by the Bucs, and the Cards. I'm not sure what the Redskins see in him, but they signed him to a three year $13.5 million contract. He's got a reputation as being a big hitter, but this is becoming more of a cover league than a hitting league. If your safety is a liability in coverage, he'll get exploited.

Terrelle Pryor is a potentially good signing, but he's had something of a bad locker room rep. Cleveland had tons of cap room to sign him and they opted not to. That's kind of a red flag to me.

Right now, the clear favorite to win the Super Bowl in 2018 is the New England Patriots. They'll also be getting Gronkowski back, so barring something disastrous happening, it's hard to see them losing more than a few games (if any.) The picture on the NFC side is a bit more muddled with maybe eleven possible contenders. It's hard to see the Rams, Niners, Saints, Redskins, and Bears as contenders, but the rest of the teams all have some shot.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Indeed, gardenman.  A dumpster fire resembles the 'Skins right now.

Or, as I feel, fans without a team.  The whole thing is very Snyder-esque, and frankly, Allen is just an elevated Vinny Cerrato.

What just happened?  In no time hope falls flat and talent leaves.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia

The Swearinger signing was the big head scratcher to me. Safeties are very valuable in the NFL and if you've got a good one, you don't let him go. The Texans, Bucs and Cards have let him go. When a guy has been in the league four years and he's on his fourth team, there's usually something wrong and it's not typically the other teams all being wrong. They're paying him quite a bit upfront and he's signed for three years. That was a guy who I thought would be lucky to get a one year, 'prove your worth' kind of contract and he'd likely have to wait until after the draft to get that, but the Redskins made him a priority signing. Maybe I'm missing something, but three other teams also apparently missed it too. High draft picks tend to hang around a while and despite being a second round pick, the Texans booted him. That signing is one of those signings you keep looking at to try and find a way it makes sense, but there really isn't a way it makes sense.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman, perhaps we have another Brandon "Mayweather" in our future.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

I see Martellus Bennet is now a Packer.  Is he  making the rounds?  Stopped liking the guy when he stopped giving it his all when he was a Cowboy.  But he has a ring and my boys don't....YET

Texans are fools.  They should snatch up Romo.  I can see them being real contenders with a healthy Tony at QB.  I know Jones is playing games and teams are just waiting for his strategy to fail, but fact is Texans need a QB.  And Cowboys need JJ Watt.  Even swap.  Will never happen I know, but come on Houston.....make a deal!!!!  Would just love for Romo to stay in Texas and for the 3rd little Romo to be born here. 

Brrrrrr - hope this cold front  coming thru Tues.is the last of winter for you all in the NE.

Sounds likes it's going to be bitterly cold up there.   

Honored Contributor

@yellowrose 

Yeah. Tuesday looks to be a miserable day.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The Cowboys seem unable to trade Romo, so it looks like they will just have to release him. If Romo plans on retiring, there is no lack of work, as several stations want him as an sports analyst.

Jerry Jones has given Romo a list of what teams he shouldn't sign with. How can Jerry  Jones have any say in where Romo decides to go? I never heard of an owner doing that. Once Romo is released, he's a free agent, so I don't understand what Jones is trying to accomplish. Maybe he just doesn't want Romo going to a division rival. But why is it his business to tell Romo what to do once he's no longer a Cowboy?

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain