Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for March 2017!!!

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman

Smiley LOL Smiley LOLSmiley LOL  loved your Tony Romo microphoned up!!!--LOL!

Why are the Eagles supporting a rule change against players leaping up to block a field goal or extra point....isnt this part of the game....part of the strategy for special teams?????????? Its like making the FG or extra point ALMOST automatic....unless the kicker or holder messes it up...

I know some these mock drafts do they have a draft board and are just picking players and teams at random or what????????????????  One of the mocks had the Redskins taking D. Cook ..... I hope not.... In Mel Kiper's latest he has cook falling to the Pakers at no. 29.....and Redskins taking McCaffrey, but the Redskins have more pressing needs on defense, specifically at ILB, FS, and defensive tackle. The Redskins have their two starting ILBs returning from last year, but there needs to be an upgrade.

The jumping to block field goals and extra points has taken a leap (literally) in recent years. You now have defenders trying to time out the snap and hurdle the offensive linemen. It's something that will get a player hurt if it isn't controlled. It's not stopping defenders from leaping up, but stopping them from hurdling the line.

The mock drafts have degenerated into insanity. There's some crazy stuff going on out there now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Raiders are on the way to Vegas! The owners approved the move 31-1. The Raiders will still be in Oakland for a year or two, but then off to Las Vegas.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Eagles waded back into free agency to sign a couple of defenders. Chris Long is our new defensive end and Patrick Robinson is our new cornerback. Chris Long likes the idea of playing in the Eagles wide nine defense and looks like a good addition.  He's getting up there a bit in years, but he's still playing well.

The Cowboys have extended Jason Witten yet again to create more cap space. Some of their players will likely still be getting paid by the Cowboys as they also get Social Security, they've been extended so many times.

The Redskins say they're a hundred percent behind signing Kirk Cousins to a long term deal. They'd better be about $125 million behind signing him as that's likely the ballpark price wise to sign him now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Patrick Robinson is a decent player, but has had problems staying healthy; that's the main reason he was released by the Colts. He'll have to prove himself before being offered a long term contract. Hopefully, he can stay healthy and be productive for the Eagles.

Las Vegas Raiders just sounds strange. Have to get used to calling them that in a couple years. Miami owner is the only one who voted against the move.

So it seems that Cousins will stay with Washington, after all. That might make him one of the highest paid quarterbacks.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

The Eagles waded back into free agency to sign a couple of defenders. Chris Long is our new defensive end and Patrick Robinson is our new cornerback. Chris Long likes the idea of playing in the Eagles wide nine defense and looks like a good addition.  He's getting up there a bit in years, but he's still playing well.

The Cowboys have extended Jason Witten yet again to create more cap space. Some of their players will likely still be getting paid by the Cowboys as they also get Social Security, they've been extended so many times.

The Redskins say they're a hundred percent behind signing Kirk Cousins to a long term deal. They'd better be about $125 million behind signing him as that's likely the ballpark price wise to sign him now.

@gardenman

What's up with these owners....Kraft saying Brady can play another 6 or 7 years......and Jason Witten given a long extension and under contract until age 40.....is some pharmecuetical company coming out with a fountain of youth pill?????  But I can see why Jerrah did that for Jason Witten....with Dak & Zeke coming off their first rookie season (and who knows if Elliott will be suspended for his behavior if not now, sometime in the future.....and who knows if Dak will be successful in his sophomore year)....so with Romo gone, Witten is more or less the face of the franchise....a good guy on and off the field and a diplomat knowing he will always do and say the right thing....

I thought Long was a good signing by the Eagles.....

Oh yes, Kirk Cousins---well at least he's working out with the WRs and Jay's brother, Jon........

C8CmIPfW0AAq0NQ.jpg

There was a report from Owners meeting that quoted Bruce Allen as saying the Scot McC firing was not due to a power struggle.....and he further stated he "liked Scot as a person" and wished him well.....Isnt that saying he didnt like working with him, but great guy.Woman Surprised..it wouldnt surprise me if the firing had to do with the way the Cousins thing was botched up....And I concur I bet they end up signing him to a long term deal and VASTLY VASTLY over pay him!!!....Woman Frustrated....

And with the Raiders, isnt that going to be a bit awkward---playing in a place where the fans knows your going to leave them in 2 years.... I think the Raiders should take up our city's offer and play in the Alamo Dome far away from Oakland for that period until their new stadium in Vegas is ready......  And with the immaturity of some of these young players it will be interesting to see if they will be able to avoid the temptations and keep out of trouble---gambling and gambling debts, the houses of ill repute,  the show girls etc etc etc......both for the Raider players and visiting teams.....STAY TUNED!   Sad day for Oakland fans they get a good team and now leave town in couple years.....

Speaking of Michael Irvin (who I mentioned in my post to yellowrose)---seems Michael is under investigation for an alleged "assault".....why do people put themselves in these situations.....gee, you'd think he would've learned from the Warren Sapp debacle

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Patrick Robinson is a decent player, but has had problems staying healthy; that's the main reason he was released by the Colts. He'll have to prove himself before being offered a long term contract. Hopefully, he can stay healthy and be productive for the Eagles.

Las Vegas Raiders just sounds strange. Have to get used to calling them that in a couple years. Miami owner is the only one who voted against the move.

So it seems that Cousins will stay with Washington, after all. That might make him one of the highest paid quarterbacks.

@teganslaw

Hey Tegan...well the Cousin deal isn't signed yet but the team is optisimistic they can get it done....yep Cousins will be getting the BIG BUCK$ and title of "highest paid QB"....don't ya think Andrew and some of the other QBs are going to be asking for their contracts to be reworked too.....

I wonder why the Miami owner was the only one who dissented....the owners of the 29 other teams get millions in relocation fees paid by Rams,Chargers, and now the Raiders....all business....seems fans dont count much anymore....Woman Frustrated

I'm mad-- the Redskins withdrew their proposal to do away with the color rush uniforms on Thursday games.....I guess someone must've reminded them of how much cash they get on that deal....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt I'm pretty happy with the Chris Long signing. If nothing else it means Howie Long will be picking the Eagles to win the Super Bowl this year. Chris was pretty productive in a part time role with the Patriots last year and outperformed Connor Barwin who he's replacing. We've got some young kids in Vinny Curry, Marcus Smith and McAllister who he can help guide too, so it could be a very good signing at a very low price. Connor Barwin's deal had been backloaded and he'd have gotten $9 million this year, so to replace him with a superior guy at $2 million is pretty good.

All in all the free agency period seems to have gone the Eagles way. A couple of very good wide receivers. Incredible depth on the offensive line with the Chance Warmack signing and others. A better physical match at the backup QB. Now a new corner and defensive end. We now enter the draft with capable bodies at pretty much every position so we can legitimately draft for the best guy available and not have to draft for need.

I'd love to see the Eagles come out of the draft with one of the "special" guys. I think there are around seven guys in the first round wo have unique talents. Myles Garrett will be long gone by the time we get to draft, but guys like OJ Howard, John Ross, Christian McCaffrey, Jabril Peppers, one of the safeties, Adams or Hooker are all guys who are unique and have a lot of potential to be special.

A guy like John Ross who can run as fast as he can is scary to every defensive coordinator. A Christian McCaffrey with his arsenal of skills and natural route running ability is very rare as a running back. Get him matched up on a linebacker and that linebacker is in all kinds of trouble. OJ Howard is just a beast who could help redefine the tight end position. Jabril Peppers is a guy without a position, but who's a natural leader. He had the rest of the alpha males at the combine following him around like puppies following their momma. Natural leadership like that is really hard to find and him being a class a guy at the same time is great. A team has to decide how they want to use him, but that type of leadership is hard to find.

There are a lot of "good" players other than those guys, but those guys strike me as being special. You can always find "good" players, but in the draft, I'd be looking for the special guys. Those guys with unique physical skills and abilities that make them special. A John Ross could become the next Steve Smith and we all know the headaches he caused opposing teams. Jabril Peppers strikes me as a guy who will always have his defensive players in the right alignment and playing hard. OJ Howard and Christian McCaffrey create matchup nightmares for defensive coordinators. I'd be pretty happy coming out of the draft with any of those guys.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt I'm pretty happy with the Chris Long signing. If nothing else it means Howie Long will be picking the Eagles to win the Super Bowl this year. Chris was pretty productive in a part time role with the Patriots last year and outperformed Connor Barwin who he's replacing. We've got some young kids in Vinny Curry, Marcus Smith and McAllister who he can help guide too, so it could be a very good signing at a very low price. Connor Barwin's deal had been backloaded and he'd have gotten $9 million this year, so to replace him with a superior guy at $2 million is pretty good.

All in all the free agency period seems to have gone the Eagles way. A couple of very good wide receivers. Incredible depth on the offensive line with the Chance Warmack signing and others. A better physical match at the backup QB. Now a new corner and defensive end. We now enter the draft with capable bodies at pretty much every position so we can legitimately draft for the best guy available and not have to draft for need.

I'd love to see the Eagles come out of the draft with one of the "special" guys. I think there are around seven guys in the first round wo have unique talents. Myles Garrett will be long gone by the time we get to draft, but guys like OJ Howard, John Ross, Christian McCaffrey, Jabril Peppers, one of the safeties, Adams or Hooker are all guys who are unique and have a lot of potential to be special.

A guy like John Ross who can run as fast as he can is scary to every defensive coordinator. A Christian McCaffrey with his arsenal of skills and natural route running ability is very rare as a running back. Get him matched up on a linebacker and that linebacker is in all kinds of trouble. OJ Howard is just a beast who could help redefine the tight end position. Jabril Peppers is a guy without a position, but who's a natural leader. He had the rest of the alpha males at the combine following him around like puppies following their momma. Natural leadership like that is really hard to find and him being a class a guy at the same time is great. A team has to decide how they want to use him, but that type of leadership is hard to find.

There are a lot of "good" players other than those guys, but those guys strike me as being special. You can always find "good" players, but in the draft, I'd be looking for the special guys. Those guys with unique physical skills and abilities that make them special. A John Ross could become the next Steve Smith and we all know the headaches he caused opposing teams. Jabril Peppers strikes me as a guy who will always have his defensive players in the right alignment and playing hard. OJ Howard and Christian McCaffrey create matchup nightmares for defensive coordinators. I'd be pretty happy coming out of the draft with any of those guys.

@gardenman

Gee....time certainly does fly.....I remember when Chris Long was drafted and Howie was so excited and so proud....now Chris is a veteran at age 32!!!!  Yep, the Eagles will definitely have Howie on their side....it should be interesting when Howie's son's Eagles plays fellow Fox commentator Michael Strahan's Giants....and of course Jimmy the Hair's Cowboys....The NFC East will get lots of talk....LOL!

Mel Kiper has his latest mock and he has Redskins grabbing McCaffrey.....without a GM it will be interesting if Jay Gruden has a bigger voice in the draft room and will lean more to the offense....with new coaches on defense I don't see them overturning what Bruce Allen and Jay have to say.....BUT we deseperately need defensive help!!!  

I can't wait for the draft....and being in Philly it will be interesting to see the crowd reaction with all your fellow Eagle fans in attendance....should be fun..... 

Well it looks like Chase Daniels is going to backup to Drew Brees and the Saints....and the Eagles will be paying part of his contract....the Saints will pay Daniel a guaranteed base salary of $900,000. Since he had $5 million in fully-guaranteed salary from the Eagles in 2017, he’ll get the remaining $4.1 million from them.  And Chase can also earn up to $3 mill in incentives....

Here's some Cousin's gossip ----Rams new head coach and former Redskin's OC raved so much about Cousins that the got a tampering warning.....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt I think whichever team gets McCaffrey will consider themselves lucky. I see him being one of the "special" guys who will impact the league into the future.

I like John Ross, but his injury history is worrisome. I believe he's already had microfracture surgery and multiple other injuries. He may lack the 'avail' ability coaches love. If Ross can stay healthy, he's a game changer, but that's a big if. I think I read once that the microfracture surgery is only good for five to seven years before the scar tissue breaks down.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Cam Newton just had rotator cuff surgery to repair a partially torn rotator cuff on his throwing arm  that he suffered during the season. I'm not sure why he waited until the end of March to have the surgery, but this is one of those things that can drive a coach a bit crazy. He'll be sidelined now until the start of training camp which means the offense will be going through OTA's and minicamps without their starting quarterback. That's not ideal. If he'd had that surgery back in January he'd be wrapping up the rehab now and be ready to go for the OTA's and mini-camps.

By waiting until now, he also risks there being a complication that could push his rehab back and have him missing training camp and even part of the regular season. Maybe he was hoping it would heal on its own. Maybe he was following the advice of the team doctor. I don't know, but surgeries later in the offseason for in season injuries is one of those things that can drive fans/coaches a bit crazy.

Maybe they just want him healthy for training camp and don't want him using his shoulder in the OTA's and mini-camps, but waiting this late in the offseason for surgery with OTA's scheduled to start in about three weeks is a bit odd. If there was a complication (infection, etc.) his recovery could stretch out a lot farther than anticipated. He won't be lifting or doing much upper body work until the surgery heals which means he'll likely enter training camp a lot weaker than normal and with his style of play, you want him as strong as possible.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!