Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for March 2017!!!

March snuck up on me so I'm a couple of days late with the new thread. The scouting combine kicks into high gear today and free agency is right around the corner.

The Jets have decided to cut loose Brandon Marshall which is interesting. I'd have thought he was tradeable. Rumor had it the Eagles and other teams called the Jets back before the trading deadline to try and pry him free, but the Jets refused. Now they're cutting him and getting nothing in return. I would think they'd could get a pick of some value for him in a trade, but instead they're just letting him go. Interesting. I wonder if there's some bad news coming out about him that the Jets know about, but the rest of us don't?

The free agent wide receiver selection keeps growing which would make you think there was a surplus of good kids coming out in the draft, but most experts say this draft is a bit weak at wide receiver.

The Jets have turned loose Marshall. The Bears have turned loose Jeffery. The Browns have turned loose Terrelle Pryor. The Redskins are letting both Garcon and DeSean Jackson go. Rumors have lots of other guys available in trades. Have football GM's decided receivers are overpaid? It kind of looks that way. It'll be interesting to see how the market plays out this year. The old supply and demand cycle seems to have tilted strongly in favor of the supply side this year and that could drive down the costs of signing one or more of those guys.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for March 2017!!!

[ Edited ]

Maybe since the 'Skins finally have an accurate passer (or do they???) they don't need gymnasts to catch a darn football.  Just a player who does the job.  

Granted, Garcon and Jackson are getting long in the tooth, as well.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

It's almost like every GM  in the league has decided, "Receivers? We don't need no stinking receivers!" Older guys like Marshall, Jackson and Jeffery are all available and young guys like Pryor, Stills, and Cooks. If there were a bunch of talented kids coming out in the draft it would make sense, but there aren't reportedly many top prospects in the draft. If you've got the cap room you can build a heck of a receiving corps this year. The Steelers seem to be the only team spending money on a receiver with their new deal with Antonio Brown.

This is great for the Eagles who need a receiver or two, but you don't often see this wholesale flushing at a single position.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Eagles are already winning! They won the coin flip with the Colts and will draft fourteenth instead of fifteenth. So the trade for Carson Wentz pretty much just cost two slots in the draft, dropping us from twelve to fourteen.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

It's almost like every GM  in the league has decided, "Receivers? We don't need no stinking receivers!" Older guys like Marshall, Jackson and Jeffery are all available and young guys like Pryor, Stills, and Cooks. If there were a bunch of talented kids coming out in the draft it would make sense, but there aren't reportedly many top prospects in the draft. If you've got the cap room you can build a heck of a receiving corps this year. The Steelers seem to be the only team spending money on a receiver with their new deal with Antonio Brown.

This is great for the Eagles who need a receiver or two, but you don't often see this wholesale flushing at a single position.

@gardenman

From what I read the Redskins are letting Garcon and DeJack test the market....... DeJack is getting some attention and I don't think Redskins will re-sign him due to his age and asking price, although he said at one time anyway, he'd like to return....but I think the offers may have changed his mind....The Redskins are hoping last year's rookie, Doctson can remain healthy and develop into a good atheletic and speedy receiver they think he can be.........  I read that Redskins might want to bring back Garcon, but if his price is too steep--adios.....he was a reliable weapon and stayed healthy....but they also have young Crowder, Ross, and Grant....so they may spend the money on needs that are more pressing....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Maybe since the 'Skins finally have an accurate passer (or do they???) they don't need gymnasts to catch a darn football.  Just a player who does the job.  

Granted, Garcon and Jackson are getting long in the tooth, as well.

@Sweetbay magnolia

I do like Garcon.......although he might be too expensive for the Redskins to re-sign consdering the Cousins mess and all the needs on defense....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Congrats on the Eagles winning the coin toss. Maybe things will still be OK in the draft as the Eagles seem to have different needs from the Colts.

SPURT, if Washington can't work things out with Cousins' contract and he leaves, Kaepernick is available. Woman LOL

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Congrats on the Eagles winning the coin toss. Maybe things will still be OK in the draft as the Eagles seem to have different needs from the Colts.

SPURT, if Washington can't work things out with Cousins' contract and he leaves, Kaepernick is available. Woman LOL

@teganslaw

Okay TEGAN bite your tongue......I hate to say this but I'd rather have Romo than Kaepernick Woman Frustrated.......Hey how about Colts swapping Cousins for Andrew we'd even do a sign and trade with Garcon and also throw in a draft pick perhaps....Woman Wink   (this trade makes more sense than Ian Rapports---I'm being sarcastic).....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman

From what I read the Redskins are letting Garcon and DeJack test the market....... DeJack is getting some attention and I don't think Redskins will re-sign him due to his age and asking price, although he said at one time anyway, he'd like to return....but I think the offers may have changed his mind....The Redskins are hoping last year's rookie, Doctson can remain healthy and develop into a good atheletic and speedy receiver they think he can be.........  I read that Redskins might want to bring back Garcon, but if his price is too steep--adios.....he was a reliable weapon and stayed healthy....but they also have young Crowder, Ross, and Grant....so they may spend the money on needs that are more pressing....

It looks like pretty much every GM  has decided to let their receivers test the market and hope they don't find any takers. It'll be interesting to see how that works out. I'm guessing this surplus of receivers will help hold down prices.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The hot rumor coming from the combine is that the Browns have fallen in love with Mitch Trubisky and will draft him first overall. I'm not so sure that rumor isn't being started by people other than the Browns, but we'll find out at the draft. I don't see Myles Garrett falling far though if the Browns pass on him.

I'm reasonably confident we'll see three quarterbacks go early, likely in the first ten picks, but I'm not so sure of one going first overall. It could happen, but I still think Garrett is too much of a sure thing to pass up. Now maybe he's interviewing poorly, or there's another issue of some sort, but I find it hard to believe any team would pass on him unless they found a ticking bomb of some sort.

For the Eagles, more quarterbacks going early is better. If three quarterbacks go before fourteen, it means there are three position players who fall farther than they would have otherwise.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!