Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for June 2023!!!

The OTAs are winding down and everyone's about to head off for their last break before training camp. GMs unimpressed by what they've seen so far are scavenging for any unsigned free agents. 

Things for the Eagles are going well. Rookie first round pick Jalen Carter has been impressing teammates and reportedly broke a blocking shed in one practice. That got everyone's attention. When you're big enough, strong enough, and fast enough to break a blocking sled....yeah. We'll see how he does with pads on, but so far, so good.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2023!!!

Adam Schein has some "way too early" BOLD predictions for 2023. 

1. Sam Darnold leads the 49ers to a Super Bowl victory over the Jets. 

2. The Saints have the #1 seed in the NFC. 

3. Arizona doesn't win a game.

4. The Packers end with the second worst record in the 

NFL. 

5. Bill Belichick's last season and he misses the playoffs. 

I don't see the first two predictions happening, but the others mentioned are possible. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The Saints should have a good record as their schedule is absurdly easy. (Or so it appears now.) They won't have a good team, but will get a good record. Things will get ugly for them in the playoffs.

I think people are absurdly optimistic about the Jets and Rodgers. They're more likely the third best team in the AFC East behind the Bills and Dolphins. They're not as good as KC, The Bills, Dolphins, Bengals, Ravens, or Jags. The Steelers, Chargers, and Browns could be better than the Jets also. Rodgers can help them, but he's not a God.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman. Jalen Carter does seem to be impressing his teammates.   Hopefully his moves carry into the season.  Hoping Howie's picks turn out to be assets for the Birds.

Off the field......on 6/28 Jason and Travis will be bartending at the Ocean Drive in Sea Isle City, NJ.  They also plan to do a podcast from the OD.  This will be Jason's 3rd yr of bartending and all proceeds go to the Eagles Autism Foundation.   (Jason raised more than $200,00 in the past two events.)  The EAF is a wonderful resource for those on the Autism spectrum and for research in our area.

I'm looking forward to the football season starting.

Honored Contributor

The Jimmy G situation is interesting. The Raiders have to look at him as a stopgap solution instead of "the guy." Do they now more or less tank the season in the hope of finishing poorly enough to get "the guy" in the draft? When you're in the same division as the Chiefs, Chargers, and Broncos, tanking isn't that hard. They say he'll be back and be fine, but his injury history isn't the greatest. They've got Tom Brady potentially coming on as a minority team owner, and he'd be a heck of a mentor to a kid QB. With the injury waiver they can pretty much just wave bye-bye to Jimmy G if they want to. It'll be interesting to see what they do there. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Adam Schein has some "way too early" BOLD predictions for 2023. 

1. Sam Darnold leads the 49ers to a Super Bowl victory over the Jets. 

2. The Saints have the #1 seed in the NFC. 

3. Arizona doesn't win a game.

4. The Packers end with the second worst record in the 

NFL. 

5. Bill Belichick's last season and he misses the playoffs. 

I don't see the first two predictions happening, but the others mentioned are possible. 

@teganslaw 

I agree with you......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

According to the Washington Post, the deal for the Josh  Harris Group to buy the Washington team currently is in the “90-percent-plus range” for approval. Harris reportedly is due to meet in person with the NFL financial committee next week. He has given assurances that he will make the “necessary adjustments” to the deal in order to secure at least 24 ownership votes in favor of the purchase.

We Washington fans just want this deal DONE and to move on from Snyder!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

It sounds like the Vikings are getting desperate to move on from Dalvin Cook. They've been trying to trade him but have had no takers. Word is they'll now cut him if they can't trade him. That's typically the last ditch "We'll take anything for him" move of a team. If you're a team that's interested in him and aren't scared of his contract (everyone is a little scared of his contract). Then this is your chance to get him for a late round pick and keep him from a rival.

I don't think anyone will trade for him and the Vikings will release him. Then the competition will start to see where he'll sign and for how much.  A one year, relatively low cost ($3 million?) deal would make sense for a team. Not great for Cook, but could be his best offer. If any team was willing to pay him at his current salary they'd make a trade for him. I don't think anyone is willing to do that though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Why do the Vikings want to trade or release Dalvin Cook? Contract issues? 

The Colts are in talks with WR Breshad Perriman after he worked out for them. 

SPURT, NFL website has an interesting article about the State of the Commanders. The writer says what he thinks the team is against this season and how to utilize their players. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Why do the Vikings want to trade or release Dalvin Cook? Contract issues? 

The Colts are in talks with WR Breshad Perriman after he worked out for them. 

SPURT, NFL website has an interesting article about the State of the Commanders. The writer says what he thinks the team is against this season and how to utilize their players. 

@teganslaw  @gardenman 

Thanks for the heads up on the NFL.com article by Adam Rank......But sorry, Ill go with what LOCAL journalist John Keim and Nicki J say.....their knowledge of what's going on locally weigh in more than a "national fantasy football writer".......

These national writers keep talking about Ron Rivera doing all he can to keep his job---sorry, Ron and his staff are nothing but lame duck coaches....the only one who has a REAL chance to keep his job is if Harris and the Group decide to move EB to HC if the offense performs well....and it DOES have that possibility considering the ineptness of Scott Turner's offense who did NOT utilize the talent we DO have...( Ill agree with what Adam Rank said about Terry McLaurin)

These national guys wanted Washington to put all their eggs in one basket for a "marquee" QB...This writer needs to tell me which "marquee" QB could Washington afford with the cap money and draft picks they had....They no more could afford Lamar Jackson with what he wanted than San Antonians could expect snow in August!!!  Who else was out there---just the usual re-treads---or QBs that are trying again and again to find a team they could stick with----Is Baker Mayfield, Derek Carr, the oft injured Jimmy G worth a "marquee" QB contract, or how about Andy Dalton---PULEAASEE.....Was Marcus Mariota or Geno Smith worth a big contract????...Garden Minshew, Case Keenum, Sam Darnold.....REALLY???? These are just more of the SAME Alex Smith and Wentz....and I dont think Washington was on Aaron Rodger's preferred team list....As for the rookies, did anyone REALLY stand out and guaranteed success, at least Howell is familiar with the NFL and the weapons on offense.....Actually anyone else would be playing musical chairs.....The team did pick up a DECENT BACKUP....but again just a BACKUP....BTW how did the Russell Wilson thing work out with Denver (I rest my case)....all they were able to manage with their new owners was basically a top coach....not much else....

Then there's the O-line that needed IMMEDIATE attention, putting a "marquee" QB with the beat up, injured, and no talent 3rd string would have put ANY "marquee"  QB on IR...... with their draft position couldnt really grab a real top ten talent......they did pick up a couple FA OL "bargains" that were still BETTER THAN WHAT THEY HAD.....Its gonna take more than one season to rebuild the O-line, just ask the Giants...

Yes, the team decided to fill some gaps on the D side, and help a weak secondary....but those players were available when they drafted....we will see if Forbes is the next Darrell Green or a bust....I thought they did reach a little high but Martin was a decent pick.....

And its a HUGE transition for the new owners of Washington compared to what the new owners of the Broncos faced....they need to repair the current stadium as well as gather funds for a new one which is going to take away resources that leaves little to give TOP DOLLAR to Marquee Free Agents....and it wont be Snyder who will be spending HIS MONEY to take 5th year options on Montez Sweat and/or Chase Young....that will HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE NEW OWNER!!! 

What is this Adam Rank thinking....Washington is in transition and yes if the team had cap space, a good draft spot, and a decent O-line, and a new owner that wanted to spend TONS of cash dont ya know they'd be going after a GOOD QB....Rome wasnt built in a day, and a "marquee" rookie QB doesnt guarantee a successful season just ask Trevor Lawrenece and Tua how its going....There were no Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrows, and Justin Herbert waiting to be gotten......Let the new owner get his feet wet, put in the new staff and let them go to work....and wait for a QB WORTHY of a top pick or when the time is right and a TRUE "marquee" QB is ready to be inserted in the lineup.....ala the Jets...

Yes, it will probably be another .500 season or if things go right for the team maybe even 9-8....I dont mind the team taking a chance on young Sam....better than yet ANOTHER VETERAN that doesnt pan out.....

But I do agree with Adam Rank that it was INEXCUSABLE for Rivera not to know the teams status to make last year's playoffs like he claimed..SMH!!!  And if they had stuck with Heinicke instead of inserting Wentz Washington might have even made the playoffs with a quick one round and out...and everyone would have said---"the teams moving in the right direction the new owner just needs to give them time and the right coach...." This "marquee" QB thing THIS YEAR was NOT THE ANSWER!

JMHO!!!!