Trusted Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2022!!!

@gardenman wrote:

Don't forget, "The Match" is on TNT tonight at 6:30 PM ET featuring four star QBs.  That should be fun.

"Star" QB's?    Too many egos to fit on a golf course. 

Esteemed Contributor

Adam Schein listed BOLD predictions for 2022. 

The AFC hierarchy has the Colts in 4th place of the entire AFC ahead of the rest of the South division. Buffalo is in 1st. 

He has Kansas City in last place in the West.  Derek Carr will get the most touchdowns in the AFC. 

It will be interesting to see how these turn out. He hasn't done the NFC yet. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

That book doesnt really shed anything new from what Ive read but once in awhile there's a bit of some insight.....I value your opinion on somone they talked about....

Now despite that fact that he was an Eagle I did like Randall Cunningham, he was an exciting QB to watch, he had no weapons, no running game so he carried the offense with his strong arm and mobility.....Buddy Ryan was strictly a defensive minded coach.....Some did say Randall was immature, and later on he did transform his life....

However, Donavan McNabb is another story.....I thought he was and is narcisstic and egotistical.....In the book, "The Player" it talked about McNabb and how Andy Reid was a QB whisperer and made QBs seem better than they were (which seemed to be the case with Andy and McNabb)....but McNabb begin to have a falling out with Reid, when Reid benched him in 2008 in a game against the Ravens, and McNabb was so angered he wanted a "financial apology"....🙄....Reid knew their relationship was coming to an end...and Reid inserted Vick as starter and that was the last draw...

Now the Redskins were looking for a QB and it was said that Mike Shanahan wanted McNabb over the objections of his son, Kyle, the OC, but the truth came out this was Snyder's doing, (sounds like meddlin Snyder)  it is said the Shanahans actually wanted Rams QB Marc Bulger.....McNabb was sent to the Redskins in a trade and lots of draft picks. McNabb didnt adapt to new ways and even refused to wear a wristband as Shanahan suggested which is what most QBs did....the Head Coach and McNabb didnt get along and McNabb was benched for Rex Grossman....

He was then traded to the Vikings with the same results---McNabb lost 5 games in 6 starts and he was eventually released....McNabb wanted to give it another go, but no other teams were interested...

He did a brief stint in broadcasting with the NFL Network where he often cried saying he deserved to be in the Hall Of Fame, but even his broadcasting career was shortened over harrassment allegations.....(yep, he revealed another bad side of his character....)....

So what did you think of McNabb?

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Adam Schein listed BOLD predictions for 2022. 

The AFC hierarchy has the Colts in 4th place of the entire AFC ahead of the rest of the South division. Buffalo is in 1st. 

He has Kansas City in last place in the West.  Derek Carr will get the most touchdowns in the AFC. 

It will be interesting to see how these turn out. He hasn't done the NFC yet. 

@teganslaw 

Those predictions are quite interesting....but I dont  agree with them.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

I wasn't that much of a McNabb guy. I loved Cunningham. He was special. McNabb was good enough, but never felt "special." Any QB playing for Andy Reid looks better than he truly is. Andy is a magician. If I were making a list of the top five Eagles QBs I've watched in my 63+ years, I would put Cunningham first, Jaworski second, Wentz third, Vick fourth, McNabb fifth and the rest didn't play long enough to form a solid opinion. If Nick Foles had ever been consistent, he could've made the list. Nick is so hot and cold though it boggles the mind. We haven't seen enough of Hurts to really rank him yet.

Any QB playing under Andy looks great. AJ Feeley, Koy Detmer, Jeff Garcia, and Kevin Kolb all looked great playing for Andy in Philly, and then in KC he took Niners' castoff Alex Smith and made him look great. Now he's got Mahomes looking like a superstar. A whole lot of football gets played between the earholes and Andy gets his QBs to play very, very well. When those guys land elsewhere, they tend to falter. 

If Andy could bottle whatever it is he does and sell it, he'd get rich. Well, richer. This will be Andy's 23rd year as a head coach and he's never had a "bad" QB in those 23 years. He always has his QBs playing at a high level. And when they leave him, their level of play drops way off. There aren't a lot of coaches in the league who don't have a "bad" QB at some point. Andy's gone three deep on the depth chart on occasion and still gotten good performances from his QBs. And he's used a lot of QBs over the years. It's not a situation where he's had a Tom Brady for twenty-three years and just rode the guy.

As to Adam Schein's predictions, eh, I'd be surprised if KC finished last in the AFC West. That's going to be a brutal division. I could see all four of the teams going 4-4 in the division games. There's not a weak team in the group. I like what the Chargers did this offseason.  The Broncos have been a very good team in search of a QB for years now and now they have Russell Wilson. The Raiders are better. The Chiefs could be weaker than they have been, but never dismiss Andy's influence. That AFC West is likely to be a dogfight right to the bitter end.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

A few years ago radio personality Rush Limbaugh got in trouble for saying he thought Donovan McNabb was overrated. Many people didn't go for that statement at the time. 

Davis Webb is with the Giants again as backup quarterback. He said that Daniel Jones is "the hardest working quarterback and probably the smartest he has ever worked with."

Webb backed up Eli Manning, and he thinks that Jones surpasses Eli. The comparison would be better if Jones helps to take the team to the Super Bowl like  Eli did. 

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Thanks for your analysis...it looks like we agree on Cunningham and McNabb!   Now Joe Gibbs was pretty good with QBs too, he is the only coach to win 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs......Joey T, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien......

And Mark has been arrested for domestic violence not his first offense...first with ex-wife, now with long time partner---he is believed to have an NFL related brain injury that can only be diagnosed by autopsy, he also suffers from clinical depression, mood swings, and other mental issues....I hope he get the help he needs....adding to his depression was the death of his son who was 2 at the time and coincidently died of a brain tumor....

@teganslaw 

And it looks like I agreed with Rush too.....

Honored Contributor

Daniel Jones is in a tough spot. This is his fourth year, and I believe it's his sixth offensive system.  The kid's brain is more than a bit scrambled at this point. He needs some stability. The Giants refusing to pick up his fifth-year option is a bad omen for him. If they believed in the kid they'd pick up his option.

Jalen Hurts will be interesting to watch this year as it's the first time since high school that he's had the same offense two years in a row.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

There's a nice article on Travis Fulgham up on NFL.com. For four weeks in 2020 he was the best receiver in all of pro football. The kid was unstoppable. And the Eagles desperately needed him as every other wide receiver they had was injured. He'd been cut by the Packers and Lions and was on the Eagles practice squad. Nate Sudfeld and Jalen Hurts were working with him in practice and thought he was special, and with no one else healthy the Eagles gave him a boost to the roster. For four weeks he was unstoppable. Then it all stopped. He became very stoppable. After four torrid weeks, he slumped and caught just nine more passes the rest of the year. 

The Eagles brought him back for training camp in 2021 and he did nothing. He got cut. He went to the Dolphins, then the Broncos, and only played nine snaps. He's back with the Broncos again now and hoping to revive his career.

He's the classic case to show how much football gets played between the earholes of the helmet. He's as physically gifted as any player in the league. He's proven over a four-week period that he can play at the highest level. Then his confidence falters and he plays so poorly that he gets cut.

Guys like him drive coaches and GMs crazy.  You know what they're capable of, but you just can't harness it consistently. The kid has a Jerry Rice type of ability but just can't do it consistently. When he's on, he's unstoppable. No one can cover him. But he just doesn't stay turned on. Maybe the Broncos can finally harness him and get him to perform at a consistently high level, but they've got some really good receivers ahead of him and it's hard to know how much you can trust him on the field.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I watched a game where Travis Fulghim went off against the Steelers. He was unstoppable during that time. 

PFF ranked Colts Kenny Moore as a top slot CB. Cooper Kupp said that Moore was one of the best defensive players he faced in 2021. Now get Moore's contract done and pay the man what he's worth.

Jason Garrett is a top contender for Drew Brees' place on Football Night in America. Garrett broadcasts USFL games, and he's not bad, but I find him kind of boring. 

Youtube has  XLI Super Bowl halftime show with Prince. It was pouring rain, and that show was epic! The recent halftime shows couldn't hold a candle to Prince. Some were OK, but there will probably never be another halftime show as good as his; IMO it was that great.

Mark Twain