Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2022!!!

And Terry McLaurin has a new deal. Three years at $70 million, so around $23 million a year. Maybe a tick underpaid, but in the ballpark of what he should get. Anything less than $25 million was a good deal for the Commanders. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

And Terry McLaurin has a new deal. Three years at $70 million, so around $23 million a year. Maybe a tick underpaid, but in the ballpark of what he should get. Anything less than $25 million was a good deal for the Commanders. 

@gardenman @teganslaw 

YYYYYAAAAAAAAYYYYY !!! smileys-cheerleading-755332.gif

This has been a GREAT DAY....not only did we have cooler temperatures (86 versus the over 100's we've had for May/June)...and we are actually getting some RAIN!!! 😊🌧.....and now TERRY SIGNED--YAY!!!  😁  Yep, Martin Mayhew is no Bruce Allen and will get a fair contract! 

ITS A RED LETTER DAY---ERRRR----BURGUNDY AND GOLD DAY! 😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

I thought you'd be happy about that.  The three years is interesting. He'll be thirty then which might give him a chance for one more bigger deal. A four-year deal would have had him at 31 which is getting up there for a WR. Even at thirty, he might only get a two or three year deal, but at 31 he'd likely only get a one-year deal. The $23+ million a year with a big guarantee is pretty nice for him. If he's still playing well in three years he might get another three year deal or be tagged, which by then would be a pricey tag.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

With McLaurin now signed that just leaves DK Metcalf, Deebo Samuel, and Diontae Johnson left to get big deals. I'd expect them to sign in the coming days/weeks. It's been a while since we've seen salaries in one position rise so far, so quickly. That 2019 draft class was special when it came to WRs and they're cashing in.

The Deshaun Watson hearing will pick up again today. The NFL is reportedly basing their case on five of the women who Watson then later corresponded with using text messages that seemed to back up their claims. Watson's team is reportedly citing the lack of hard evidence and is implying that the lawyer for the claimants went fishing for clients and they only came forward when he waved money in front of them. His side is also citing the lack of harsh punishments for JJ, Kraft, and Snyder, who all have had sexual harassment issues of their own.

The charges against Kraft were dropped after the court ruled that the cameras hidden in the brothel were placed there illegally and the images/sound couldn't be used because of that. With the charges dropped, the NFL investigation pretty much ground to a halt.  Also, this was a case clearly involving prostitution where both parties were aware of what was happening and what was expected. 

The Jerry Jones sexual assault allegations are somewhat iffy. The women involved were strippers and may have been part of an extortion attempt against Jones. 

And the Daniel Snyder argument might go nowhere as he was reportedly forced to give up control of the team, even though he wasn't officially suspended. If you're using that as a precedent on the punishment for Watson, then he'd be forced to give up playing QB? 

His best argument might be for the Kraft side, and he alleges that the "massage therapists" he'd hired were in fact offering other services (as many on Instagram at the time clearly were.) Mistaking a real massage therapist for one in name only and assuming she offered "other services" might be his best argument, but it's not a great argument. If he goes that route, he has to admit to having expected more from the massage therapists and validating their claims. He's not in a good spot.

There is no good answer for him. Settling the remaining cases, getting counseling, accepting some level of blame, and begging for forgiveness might be his best options, but even then, an indefinite suspension that could be lessened to say eight or nine games might be his best possible outcome. Not great for him or the Browns.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Scary Terry got paid! An article mentioned some teams that missed out by not trading for McLauren. As far as I know, there was never a question of him going to another team.

Jonathon Taylor has been nominated for two Espy awards: Best NFL player and Best Breakthrough Athlete. His NFL competitors are Cooper Kupp, Aaron Rodgers and T.J. Watt. The athletic competitors mentioned involve different sports. I'm not familiar with those names. 

I think that Kupp has the advantage, but it's an honor even being nominated. Kudos to Taylor!

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Most of the wide receivers from that 2019 class were rumored to be getting traded at one point or another. AJ Brown and Marqise Brown were the two that got traded. (So far anyway. Deebo Samuel could still be on the move.) High-paid wide receivers in 2021 were getting around $18 million a year. This year it shot up to $23-$30 million a year. A lot of teams hadn't planned for that, didn't want to pay that, and were willing to move guys rather than pay them.

Teams tend to have salary slots where they allocate just a certain amount of money to a position. Most teams weren't looking to allocate $23 million or more to a wide receiver. That had a lot of teams wondering what they could get for their now high-priced guys. They then had to decide if they could get an affordable replacement. The Titans decided Treylon Burks could replace AJ Brown, so they made the deal.  They got a cheaper guy with similar attributes to AJ Brown at a bargain, rookie price.

When the Commanders saw what was happening, they thought about trading McLaurin. Feelers reportedly went out around the league with the Colts being among those nibbling at the bait, but the Commanders decided it was safer to keep McLaurin rather than let him go. They bit the bullet and paid him the $23 million.

Teams sometimes don't realize how good a guy they have is until they offer him up and see lots of other teams frothing at the mouth to get him. That tends to reset their thinking and they realize, "You know, maybe he's worth $23 million a year. We should keep him."

There was enough chatter of McLaurin being on the block for Ron Rivera to say, "No. We're not trading him." That chatter typically has some truth behind it though. McLaurin was likely dangled as bait to see what they could get, and they decided it wasn't enough.

Jonathan Taylor is a local guy. His hometown is about a mile and a half from me. Former NFL running back Lydell Mitchell was also from there. It's hard to beat Aaron Rodgers for anything.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Dont forget Jerry Jones paid out 2.4 mill as a settlement for voyuerism by one of his Executive Staffers on the Cowboy Cheerleaders...and the same guy was accused of taking upskirt photos of Jerry's daughter too....the NFL apparently didnt do anything...even though harrassment came into  light and is a hot topic in view of the Washington scandals....The Exec eventually retired.....six years later...🙄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Scary Terry got paid! An article mentioned some teams that missed out by not trading for McLauren. As far as I know, there was never a question of him going to another team.

Jonathon Taylor has been nominated for two Espy awards: Best NFL player and Best Breakthrough Athlete. His NFL competitors are Cooper Kupp, Aaron Rodgers and T.J. Watt. The athletic competitors mentioned involve different sports. I'm not familiar with those names. 

I think that Kupp has the advantage, but it's an honor even being nominated. Kudos to Taylor!

@teganslaw @gardenman 

CONGRATS to Jonathan Taylor on his two Espy nominations--WELL DESERVED!

Even though GM Martin Mayhew may have put out feelers, but I think Ron Rivera took a firm stand as he said in his press conferences that Terry would not be traded....According to what I read when Rivera was hired Snyder gave him final say on personnel decisions ....

This is from an article by ESPN's Jason Reid... Rivera will make the final call on, well, everything. He’ll have both contractual authority and a mandate from Snyder to right a ship that has been rudderless..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

I was looking at the list of the Espy nominees....

in the same category with Jonathan Taylor for BEST BREAK THROUGH ATHLETE I was shocked to see Trinity Rodman also on the nominee list ---She's a soccer player for the Washington Spirit and the 20 yr old daughter of colorful (in more ways than one) former NBA player , Dennis Rodman.....(the unofficial Ambassador to North Korea LOL) Yep, in his career Dennis was a one time former Spur...but he behaved himself when he was in SA....some fans really liked him, but he acted like a spoiled child when disciplined by the coaches during a game....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Washington NFL Team is having its 90 Year Anniversary in 2022---A list of the 90 greatest Washington players of all times was published.....Looking at the list and all the wonderful players I remember made me SIGH---AHHHH MEMORIES..  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TEAM!!!

It's so very sad thinking how Daniel Snyder DESTROYED a once proud franchise that even boasted of a waiting list for season tickets-----Now I do like Ron Rivera and Martin Mayhew as the GM, but just wish the NFL would kick out SNYDER the cause of all destruction....😫