Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2022!!!

[ Edited ]

@Txblond wrote:

Just because I'm a Cowboys fan doesn't mean I like Jerry .  of course he's jealous of Jimmy - always has been.  He's an egotistical idiot!  If only he would give it up & get out.

@Txblond 

You'll like this story---- My aunt was a die hard long long time Cowboy fan, her all time favorite players were Don Meredith and Walt Garrison......She absolutely postively HATED Jerry Jones, so she went on a "leave of absence" as a Cowboy fan ....but she never gave up and stil hated the Cowboy's Divisional rivals---Washington, the Eagles, and the Giants....and she always gave me heck whenever Washington lost...Sadly she passed away a few years ago and never got to re-up her Cowboy fandom since Jerry still owned the team!.....

(I was even thinking of doing the same "leave of abscence" thing for my Washington team because of Snyder, but I continued my fandom and use the nickname Washington rather than the dreaded Commanders 🙄)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

Latest on the Terry McLaurin front---Rivera keeps insisting that Washington is not trading Terry and that the team is trying to get the contract extension done...

But one reporter was saying, "but trying and doing are not the same thing."

Washington can avoid further absences by coming to terms on a deal with average annual salaries likely in the $21 million to $23 million range before training camp.  

There’s never been any real sense of disaster during the negotiations, though the two sides were far apart with terms until recently. Talks progressed over the past seven to 10 days, according to sources.

Rivera said, "The negotiations have never been contentious. I can promise you that much. So, we’re feeling pretty good and pretty confident at some point, this will get done.”

I HOPE SO!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Txblond   Hi There.  Haven't seen you in forever.

About Jones - He is who we have.  He's not for the weak. haha

If a fan can't take him - ditch and run.

The stadium door is always open if they want to come back.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, the Commanders need to get McLaurin's deal done for several reasons. He needs time to build a rapport with Wentz. It sends the right message to the rest of the team when you pay a guy who outperforms where he was drafted. "Play like the best and we'll pay you like the best" is what you want players to think. And it's a distraction now and you want that distraction gone by training camp.

At $2.79 million in 2022, he's vastly underpaid. He's far outperformed his contract so far, so you've got to make it right. If that means slightly overpaying him now ($24-$27 million) then that's what you've got to do.

That 2019 class of wide receivers may just be the first draft class of any position group to crack the one-billion-dollar mark in the overall value of their second contracts. There were a lot of really good kids in that class who have gone on to great success.

McLaurin is arguably a top-three to top-five player on the Commanders and he's paid sixteenth. The punter, backup QB, and second-year linebacker all make more. Their other starting wide receiver Curtis Samuel, who isn't as good, makes four times as much as McLaurin. He's among the top of that 2019 draft class but paid near the bottom of the class.

I think Ron Rivera is pushing the deal more than the front office and is more focused on having McLaurin happy and in camp. I think some team executives believe that current WR salaries are a blip, and they'll regress in a year or two. They seem to feel they can just "find a kid" to plug in and he'll play well. Coaches know what they have in McLaurin and want him happy and playing hard.

This is likely McLaurin's last chance for a "big" deal also as he's now 27. He'll likely get a four-year deal and then at 31/32 he'll be out of luck on getting another big deal. When WRs hit 30, the big paydays largely stop. If they get anything at that age, it's a year-to-year deal at a lower value. WR, along with RB, is a position where play tends to fall off pretty quickly with age. This is McLaurin's last real chance at a big payday, and he knows it. He's been underpaid his whole career. He's far outperformed his old contract. The Commanders need to bite the bullet and sign the kid for what he's worth as a player. Maybe even overpay him if need be. Just get a deal done. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Yeah, the Commanders need to get McLaurin's deal done for several reasons. He needs time to build a rapport with Wentz. It sends the right message to the rest of the team when you pay a guy who outperforms where he was drafted. "Play like the best and we'll pay you like the best" is what you want players to think. And it's a distraction now and you want that distraction gone by training camp.

At $2.79 million in 2022, he's vastly underpaid. He's far outperformed his contract so far, so you've got to make it right. If that means slightly overpaying him now ($24-$27 million) then that's what you've got to do.

That 2019 class of wide receivers may just be the first draft class of any position group to crack the one-billion-dollar mark in the overall value of their second contracts. There were a lot of really good kids in that class who have gone on to great success.

McLaurin is arguably a top-three to top-five player on the Commanders and he's paid sixteenth. The punter, backup QB, and second-year linebacker all make more. Their other starting wide receiver Curtis Samuel, who isn't as good, makes four times as much as McLaurin. He's among the top of that 2019 draft class but paid near the bottom of the class.

I think Ron Rivera is pushing the deal more than the front office and is more focused on having McLaurin happy and in camp. I think some team executives believe that current WR salaries are a blip, and they'll regress in a year or two. They seem to feel they can just "find a kid" to plug in and he'll play well. Coaches know what they have in McLaurin and want him happy and playing hard.

This is likely McLaurin's last chance for a "big" deal also as he's now 27. He'll likely get a four-year deal and then at 31/32 he'll be out of luck on getting another big deal. When WRs hit 30, the big paydays largely stop. If they get anything at that age, it's a year-to-year deal at a lower value. WR, along with RB, is a position where play tends to fall off pretty quickly with age. This is McLaurin's last real chance at a big payday, and he knows it. He's been underpaid his whole career. He's far outperformed his old contract. The Commanders need to bite the bullet and sign the kid for what he's worth as a player. Maybe even overpay him if need be. Just get a deal done. 

@gardenman 

If it was me....I'd say---Snyder give me your checkbook, Terry how much ya want????

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman 

If it was me....I'd say---Snyder give me your checkbook, Terry how much ya want????

Yeah, $23-$25 million is kind of the new base salary for a guy like him. That's up from about $18 million a year ago. The Commanders were reportedly in that $16-$18 million range with their offers, but the market has changed. A four-year $100 million deal should get the job done. I just don't think the Commanders' upper tier of management wants to go that high. They're probably targeting something more like a four-year $80 million upper end. And even that might be higher than they're looking to go.

Their view is he'll be 27 years old in September. He's only making $2+ million now, so a raise into the teens would be a big jump for him. If they give him a four-year deal, he'll be 31 at the end of it and likely in decline and overpaid. And the kid receivers Ja'Marr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, Devonta Smith, Rashod Bateman, Rondale Moore, etc. are really good and really cheap. (At least for the first four or five years.) So, rather than overpay him, they could just draft a kid to replace him.

If they could get him to sign a Hunter Renfrow-type deal (two years for a total of $32 million) they'd likely jump at it. He'd be smarter to hold out for an AJ Brown-type deal (four years at $100 million) instead. Renfrow may have undersold himself with that deal, but he is just 25, so in two years he should still be viable for a new deal. McLaurin should get more than Renfrow, but Renfrow's deal gives the Commanders an out. "We're offering you the same deal as Renfrow and he's happy." They were in the same draft class. Last year's stats were comparable (Renfrow 1,038 yards, McLaurin 1,053 yards.) How much more is McLaurin's fifteen extra yards worth?

It'll be interesting to see if they reach a deal and what it is. Anything short of a four-year $100 million deal will indicate McLaurin settled. The Commanders will consider anything less than $20 million a year a win for them. They'll probably end up in the $22-$24 million a year range with neither side all that happy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh so DeShaun and his lawyers must've seen the handwriting on the wall and have now settled 20 of the 24 cases.....This situation is still an ongoing NFL investigation and Watson could still face a suspension....

Esteemed Contributor

Deshaun Watson has claimed his innocence, yet he settled 20 cases, when he said he wasn't going to settle. This doesn't always mean one is guilty, but it looks suspicious in Watson's case. Maybe his lawyer talked him into this, or Watson just wants to get the accusations out of the way and move on.

There are still 4 cases against him and the NFL's ruling, so things aren't in the clear yet. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw @yellowrose @Txblond @sunshine45 

Here's a fun one from one of my favorite Decades---Pick one from each position from these 80's NFL stars!

nCapture.PNG

QB---The original "Joe Cool" ---Joe Montana

RB--- Gotta be "sweetness" ----Walter Payton

WR--- Jerry Rice

WR---  Art Monk--one of my favorite Redskins of all times

TE----- Ozzie Newsome....he was one heck of a GM too....

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Deshaun Watson has claimed his innocence, yet he settled 20 cases, when he said he wasn't going to settle. This doesn't always mean one is guilty, but it looks suspicious in Watson's case. Maybe his lawyer talked him into this, or Watson just wants to get the accusations out of the way and move on.

There are still 4 cases against him and the NFL's ruling, so things aren't in the clear yet. 

@teganslaw 

Your right, that signifies GUILTY!!!! Those 4 remaining cases should be interesting...............