Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2022!!!

[ Edited ]

I HATE  this "committee" getting involved with the NFL.....I just wish the NFL would police their own and get rid of Snyder.....He has another chance to testify virtually, but his lawyers arent gonna go along with that....

Meanwhile there was an interesting article about the 3 WORST STADIUMS IN THE NFL---Soldier Field in Chicago, the Titans Stadium (and there are already plans in place to build a new one )....and of course good ole, FED EX---which is falling apart and may not last until a new one is built.....with the small fan crowd maybe they can rent a high school stadium....🙄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The Giants are interesting. It sounds like the new coaches and GM have zero confidence in Daniel Jones (thus not picking up his fifth-year option) and signed Tyrod Taylor to be their bridge QB in 2023 to a rookie they'll draft. They gave Tyrod a two-year deal, so the pieces fit. Give Jones a shot this year, but unless he impresses, cut him loose, draft a kid, use Tyrod as the bridge, and then turn things over to the kid.

Their defense, especially the DBs will be a bit iffy this year. I would put them in the four to six win category. They've got "name" wide receivers, but they haven't impressed anyone recently. A new tight end, a patched together o-line, and Saquon hoping to be back, doesn't inspire much confidence. They'd need a lot of things to go right to get to seven or eight wins. I think four to six is probably about right. That could put them in the top five in the draft for their new QB. The o-line is now competent, which is a big step forward, but not dominant. They won't take over a game, but they shouldn't completely implode.

The schedule makers didn't help them a lot with the Titans, Panthers, Cowboys, Bears, Packers, and Ravens as their first six opponents. The "winnable" games there might be the Panthers and Bears, but if Mayfield is a Panther, that may be less winnable. And if the Bears are getting anything from Justin Fields, that could be iffy also. Optimistically, they could be 2-4 after six games. 0-6 is a very real possibility also. They will likely be in a big hole to start the season.

There aren't any comfortable wins on their schedule right now. The Lions were playing pretty well towards the end of the season and Jared Goff has now gotten engaged to Christen Harper, so he has more to play for. It's hard for a team to go 0-17, but the Giants could have the best chance to do it despite being better and on the right track overall. They were just so bad to start with that it'll take a while to right things.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Jerry Jones thinks the undrafted free agents will step up big for the Cowboys in 20202. They have to. The losses in free agency need to be offset somehow. The Cowboys lost Randy Gregory, Cedric Wilson, La'el Collins, Connor Williams, Greg Zuerlein, Keanu Neal, Damontae Kazee, Brent Urban, Malik Turner, and Maurice Canady in free agency. And that's not including Amari Cooper who they traded away. That's kind of a lot of guys to replace. You hope for two to three starters from the draft. They didn't go crazy signing free agents. They need their undrafted free agents to step up and fill voids. It'll be very interesting to see how that all works out. I would expect the Cowboys to go shopping for players as roster cuts take place elsewhere.

They're going to need bodies. They have just five healthy linebackers heading into training camp. Now, Dan Quinn's defense typically just has two linebackers on the field at a time, but with just five guys for training camp they can't have a guy go down and linebackers tend to get dinged in camp. There's going to be some interesting roster shuffling going on in Dallas through camp and the early season. Expect to see them claiming a lot of guys off the waiver wire as cutdowns start. There's a reason undrafted free agents are undrafted free agents and it's not because they were too good. The Cowboys have some roster issues heading into 2022.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gardenman, that was nice of Verizon to credit you the money for lost internet. I've heard complaints about Verizon lately, (high costs, bad customer service, etc.) so maybe the company is trying to do better. 

It's unlikely Saints Michael Thomas will be a player Dallas would sign. He still is unable to practice since his injury, and New Orleans says that he's not going anywhere. 

Jerry Jones is making some fans upset by backtracking on inducting Jimmy Johnson into the Cowboys Ring of Honor. Originally, Jones said that Johnson would be inducted, then recently admitted he's not thinking about it until it happens. That sounds like Johnson isn't on his mind.

Strange that GMFB isn't on this week. NFL network is showing previous games instead. Also some episodes of Total Access. Maybe GMFB is revamping things. They should be back next week. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I haven't been watching GMFB for a while. They had been based in NYC, but I believe the NFL Network wants to move every show they do to LA. GMFB had been the exception as they'd have to start at 4:00 AM PT for the show to air at 7:00 AM ET. Maybe they're moving it to LA now?

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Unofficial word is that DK Metcalf will be signing a $110 million four-year deal with Seattle with $70.5 million fully guaranteed. That would put him in the $27.5 million a year range and inspire Terry McLaurin to keep holding out for more money.

Those kid receivers in that class are making out like bandits. It helps that they were mostly good. That 2019 WR draft class was pretty special. AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Marqise Brown, Deebo Samuel, Parris Campbell, Terry McLaurin, Hunter Renfrow, N'Keal Harry, and more. Those WRs with their new contracts might just add up to close to a billion dollars over the course of their new deals. AJ Brown got $100 million. Metcalf's getting $110 million. Renfrow two years $32 million. Marquise Brown, Deebo, Parris, McLaurin, and others are still to come. That whole WR class could account for about a billion dollars in total money over their second contracts. Pretty impressive.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@teganslaw  We won't see Jimmy Johnson on the ROH until Jones wins a SB

without him. And I hope if Jimmy is still alive, he tells Jones "No Thank You", or

whatever words he choose..

There was talk last year about all the holes the Cowboys had to fill and what

happened?  We won the division. Not good enough to advance, but not near

as bad as the predications, which I never listen to anyway.  The good or the bad. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure it won't take multiple Super Bowl wins before JJ puts Jimmy in the ROH. If he ever does. From what I gather the whole conflict was about who deserved credit for the Super Bowl wins. JJ thinks he didn't get enough credit and that Jimmy Johnson got too much credit. The lack of Super Bowl wins since then using the same blueprint implies that Jimmy was the reason more than JJ, so JJ likely won't honor Jimmy until he wins as many or more Super Bowls as Jimmy did. You would kind of think that after this much time JJ would have gotten over it all, but no.

The reality is winning a Super Bowl takes a combined effort from pretty much everyone in the organization. The tipping point could have been a scout who found an unnoticed player that made a critical play. No GM, head coach, owner, etc. wins a Super Bowl by themselves. It's truly a team effort. JJ hasn't been looking as good lately as he did when with Jimmy. Until he puts the past behind them and accepts it was a team effort, led by Jimmy, he won't put Jimmy in the ROH. It's silliness, but ego is a powerful thing.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Gardenman, that was nice of Verizon to credit you the money for lost internet. I've heard complaints about Verizon lately, (high costs, bad customer service, etc.) so maybe the company is trying to do better. 

It's unlikely Saints Michael Thomas will be a player Dallas would sign. He still is unable to practice since his injury, and New Orleans says that he's not going anywhere. 

Jerry Jones is making some fans upset by backtracking on inducting Jimmy Johnson into the Cowboys Ring of Honor. Originally, Jones said that Johnson would be inducted, then recently admitted he's not thinking about it until it happens. That sounds like Johnson isn't on his mind.

Strange that GMFB isn't on this week. NFL network is showing previous games instead. Also some episodes of Total Access. Maybe GMFB is revamping things. They should be back next week. 

@teganslaw @yellowrose @gardenman 

Perhaps Jerry STILL isn't ready to admit that it was Jimmy and the front office staff that scouted, selected and coached and was the reason the Cowboys WON those Cowboy Super Bowls......and Barry Switzer benefitted and used Jimmy's same talent to get that last Super Bowl before that same roster broke up and aged...Jerry provided "the funds" but JJ did the work....I DO think Jerry is jealous of Jimmy.......

As far as GMF.....I think because NFL news is scare right now they gave the GMF crew vacation time off before the training camps get started in July.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

Just because I'm a Cowboys fan doesn't mean I like Jerry .  of course he's jealous of Jimmy - always has been.  He's an egotistical idiot!  If only he would give it up & get out.