Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2022!!!

Metcalf to the Cowboys would be interesting. The price would likely be absurd though. I would assume at least one first-round pick and likely more. Then they'd have to pay the guy and he'd want $25-$30 million a year. They can afford it given their cap space but losing the draft picks would hurt them. Before the draft, the Seahawks were talking about at least two first-round picks for Metcalf. The Eagles gave up a first and third for AJ Brown. The Seahawks may settle for something like a first and second. Do you give up two starters to get one back though?

It does feel like a Jerry Jones type of move. He loves the "name" players. It would almost certainly have to be a trade and sign type deal though where Metcalf would have to agree to a new contract with the Cowboys before the trade would go through. 

They traded Amari Cooper for a fifth, so trading a first and more to get a similar guy back might have the fanbase a bit antsy. Their stats are eerily similar. Metcalf played in all 17 games and averaged 4.4 catches per game for 56.9 yards per game. Cooper played in fifteen games, averaged 4.5 catches per game, and averaged 57.7 yards per game. Cooper's stats are just a tick better than Metcalf's, but Cooper had the slight problem of calling Dak "a black Kirk Cousins." 

It can be a tough sell going to the fanbase and saying, "Sure, we traded away a guy with better stats for a fifth, then gave up a first and second-round pick to get a guy who slightly underperformed him, but whoo-hoo for us!" Yeah. The fans might not be overly thrilled about how that all played out.

The Cowboys got robbed in the Amari Cooper trade given the wide receiver market this past year. Davante Adams went for a first and second-round pick. AJ Brown for a first and a third. Tyreek Hill went for a first, second, two fourths, and a sixth-round pick. And the Cowboys traded Cooper for a fifth? Yeah. JJ just needed to settle the Dak/Cooper issue and got what he could without a lot of trouble. Now he might spend a lot to bring in a guy who underperformed Cooper. Interesting.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Good for you GARDENMAN to take a stand and continue to support Martin's. I buy their products here too--and will continue to do so-On a grilling day they have the best rolls for hoagies and for sausage and bratwurst too....Well some tried to shut down Chick-Fil-A and their attempt failed ---2021 revenues increased 33.3%and earnings increased 67%......so perhaps Martin's sales/earings will actually see an increase too as people ignore this "loud media noise" that doesnt agree with the majority.....

Even though the national media continues to drool over the Cowboy's chances on doing well this season, their predictions are gonna crash and burn----not only due to a mirage on their defense last year with turnovers, but also running up the points on covid and injury riddled teams on offense which padded their offense stats---No way are the Cowboys on equal footing with the AFC West teams as some of these national media NFL analyst idiots make the Cowboys out to be!!!! And look what they lost on defense and a key player on offense too....🙄...SMH!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah, Martin's Big Marty rolls are my favorite. They're really good.

You never truly know how a team will perform until the season starts, but the mojo around the Cowboys isn't the best. Start with how last season ended and the Dak/Cooper near fight in the locker room. What Cooper said, others felt and believed, but just didn't say out loud. Then JJ waffling on the coach didn't help matters any.

The locker room is probably a bit unsettled over losing Cooper for as little as they did. Then Demarcus Lawrence took a pay cut so they could resign Randy Gregory and then they didn't resign Randy Gregory. They also didn't give back Lawrence's pay cut. They let Lael Collins go to save money. The contract language that upset Gregory is in most of their contracts also and they may just now be becoming aware of it.

They didn't make bold moves, or many moves really, to upgrade the roster. You can make a decent argument they're weaker in five to seven roster spots with less depth than last year. Now, they can come out and play great and go 14-3 and be a Super Bowl contender. You just don't know.

My suspicion is they'll be more like 8-9 to 9-8. I find it hard to believe they can lose to the Giants (twice). The Lions, Bears, Texans, and Jags games should all be wins. Figure they split with the Eagles and Commanders. That's eight wins there. 

Likely losses would be to the Bucs, Bengals, Rams, Packers, and Titans. They're not as good (at least on paper) as those teams. Add in the split series with the Eagles and Commanders and there are seven losses there. 

The Colts and Vikings games could go either way. I think 8-9 or 9-8 are reasonable projections. A game or two in either direction wouldn't shock me. I don't see them winning more than eleven games or winning fewer than seven. At worse, maybe 7-10, but it's hard not to find at least seven wins on that schedule. If they can't beat the Giants twice, the Bears, Lions, Texans, and Jags then they'll be in big trouble. Those are six more or less gimme wins. Just beat one other team and you're at seven wins.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

What's interesting to me is how G Man & Spurt are so focused on the Cowboys & what they should and shouldn't do & how bad they will be.  Hmmm  lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Txblond wrote:

What's interesting to me is how G Man & Spurt are so focused on the Cowboys & what they should and shouldn't do & how bad they will be.  Hmmm  lol

@Txblond 

Sorry you missed our analysis of our respective teams, it's in the May thread.....we had already listed all the pros and cons for our teams......I said a 8 win season, if we are lucky maybe 9 wins for Washington..And I predicted the Eagles would win the NFC East Division......(but stressed Jalen Hurts would have to have a good year)........

We talk about the Cowboys so much because the national analysts bring them up and we have to counter because our "sources"and common sense say different....and we dont believe what we hear from your GM and owner Jerrah Jones who truly lives in a fantasy world...

Our local guys, even the Cowboy "homers" said the Eagles and Giants nailed their drafts, and gave extra special kudos to the Eagles...and they said Washington improved too.."the only team in the NFC East that did not get better was the Cowboys."....(this is a direct quote from them)

And Stephen A will back up our analysis one of the few that sees the truth of the matter....😉😊

KEEP COOL in all this Texas heat my friend......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

AN EAGLES/COLTS SUPERBOWL?????

@gardenman 

Well grease up those lamposts in Philly because two NFL analysts have selected THE EAGLES as their team to WIN THE SUPER BOWL!!!!  

Anita Marks of ESPN cited the additions of  AJ Brown and James Bradberry and picking up Jordan Davis in the draft, to add to a stout D line, and an easy schedule opens the Eagles to win the Division and home field advantage!

Aaron Schatz Chief Editor of Football Outsiders also predicts the EAGLES will win...Despite questions about Jalen Hurts he said they added a TON of talent and predicts both their offense and defense will be top 10 and an easy schedule and first round bye are the keys...

@teganslaw 

And don't feel left out because the Colts were also predicted to win the trophy just like the Bengals shocked everyone by ending up in the big game last season.  Joe Fortenbaugh an ESPN Betting Analysts said it will happen.  He cites that the Jags and Texans are rebuilding and that the Titans will take a step back after trading AJ Brown.  He said that opens the door for a playoff berth and a home playoff game and winning the AFC South. Matt Ryan will be fine with a better O-line and balanced roster........

Other Super Bowl candidates are the Bills, Broncos, Ravens, Chargers, Steelers.....in the betting world the Jets of all teams are getting lots of action as the Super Bowl winner....😯  WOW! are the Jet's fans optimistic or what..🤔...although some have just the opposite view saying the Jets will have the #1 2023 Draft pick...🙄

The only time anyone mentioned my Washington team was the fact that with all Washington's troubles and DC/M/VA closing the door on stadium talk they might try a new route and talk to San Antonio that's looking for a team....and this wasn't any of our local guys, it was a national sportswriter...😁

Super Contributor

Spurt,    the Cowboys got an A- in the draft.  I will look at that as a positive thing.   Going to be hard to keep cool today, supposed to be 106.  Nothing like Texas in the summer!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Txblond wrote:

Spurt,    the Cowboys got an A- in the draft.  I will look at that as a positive thing.   Going to be hard to keep cool today, supposed to be 106.  Nothing like Texas in the summer!

@Txblond 

The Cowboys lost a lot of key veterans that will need to be replaced .........There's what's considered a "good draft" but then when they put on the uniform and put on the pads how well are they actually performing and will they live up to their expectations and contribute to the team????.....That's the question 🤔....and some players, depending on the position, will take a year or two to develop!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

The Seattle Seahawks might be losing RB Chris Carson. Carson had surgery for a neck injury, and there is no timeline for his return. The Seahawks message boards said that he doesn't have full range motion in his neck. 

Pete Carroll hinted that this injury could be career ending, though they're trying to think positive. It doesn't sound good, and I think that Carson might have to call it career. He hopes to make a comeback, but neck injuries are nothing to take lightly. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

The Eagles have a shot, but I think the Rams, Bucs, and Packers are better in the NFC. If those teams falter, the Eagles would have a shot. The Eagles only had to beat the Falcons and Vikings to reach the last Super Bowl. That's easier than the top three NFC East teams now. There's a good vibe around the team and everyone's happy, which is rare. But, we'll see what happens when the games start. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!