Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2022!!!

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Yeah, a lot of the off-season uses for stadiums though are for things like concerts, and fifty-plus thousand seats are plenty for that. Soccer games seldom draw crowds that large in America. Even Etihad stadium in England where Manchester City plays soccer only holds 55,000+ people. If the World Cup ever comes to the US a 55,000-60,000-seat stadium could do nicely for the preliminary round games. You'd want a bigger stadium for the later games, but it would serve for the preliminary games.

The Commanders just spent $100 million on land in Virginia for their new stadium and an entertainment complex. It sounds like they have a plan in place and are executing it. Woodbridge, Virginia is just off of I-95 so that gives decent access to the stadium. They bought 200 acres of land. The apparent plots of undeveloped land that large in Woodbridge appear to be just adjacent to I-95. (Based on my looking at the Google Earth photos.)

The real money in stadium seating these days is luxury boxes and PSLs. Sell enough of those and you're golden. I strongly suspect the Commanders have handshake deals in place with officials in Virginia or they wouldn't have bought the land. We should hear more in the coming weeks/months.

Washington's average attendance in 2021 was 52,751. (Only the Lions had fewer fans.) Their average ticket price was $110.07. Their ticket revenue was around $5.8 million last year. Teams don't make a lot of money from ticket sales. The TV money is where they get rich. That and luxury boxes and PSLs. If the ticket price stays at $110 and they built a 100,000-seat stadium they'd be looking at $11 million in ticket revenue, if they could sell every ticket. Is it worth the potential $5.2 million a year with all of the extra costs to build a larger stadium when you're only drawing 52 thousand people now? Eh, that's kind of a hard sell. The cost difference between a 60,000-seat stadium and a 100,000-seat stadium is fairly large, and the return could be fairly small.

@gardenman 

Even though the team bought the land, the Virginia State Senators still have to approve the building of the Stadium itself and some are saying they are voting "NO"....ownership and accusations, size of stadium and eroding of the fan base....etc etc.....The vote has been tabled for now....

What you say makes sense--BUT what if the NFL forces Snyder to sell and all these fans want to come back and buy tickets but the limited number of seats prevents this, and once again the team owner will tick off the fan base again!....... 

One thing Redskin fans loved about JKC was that he didnt believe in PSL's he felt the team was GOUGING the fans twice (once for the PSL, and then the actual ticket)......Boy, do we miss JKC!!! He was fan friendly and let the football people run the operation.....he went to some team practices but he didnt meddle with the GM and coach's decisions.....There wont be another NFL owner like him....😥

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Next Gen Stats has ranked Matt Ryan 2nd best deep passer of 2021, with Josh Allen being #1. Carson Wentz was ranked #7 on the list of ten best deep passers. 

They used various statistics for the rankings. Tom Brady and Joe Burrow just missed being on it.

I didn't see "The Match" last night, but read that Rodgers and Brady won the tournament. it sounds like everyone had a good time. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

It'll be interesting to see how Matt Ryan does. He hasn't impressed me in recent years. A new situation is good for him. It might light the fire in him. Getting him for just a third-round pick makes me nervous though. Lots of teams needed QBs this offseason (two still do) and despite a seller's market, the most the Falcons could get was a third-round pick. When you look at what the Rams gave up for Matt Stafford, the Broncos gave up for Russell Wilson, and the Browns gave up for Deshaun Watson, either the Colts got the steal of the century, or they got taken. The Colts got twice as much for Wentz as they gave up for Ryan.

NFL teams can make mistakes in evaluating players but for one QB to go for such a low cost while others cost much, much more, is "interesting." Either the Colts know something the rest don't, or they took a chance and hoped for the best, but we'll find out starting in September. Matt Ryan's a "name" QB, but to get a guy like that for a price like that raises a few red flags. I wouldn't be shocked to see Nick Foles starting in the second half of the season for the Colts.

The Colts' schedule should get them off to a fast start. The Texans in week one should be a win. Jacksonville in week two will be more challenging but should be a win. Then comes KC, Tenn, and Denver. Those will be challenging games. Then Jacksonville again. If the Jags are significantly better, then you could be looking at a 1-5 record and the Titans, Commanders, Patriots, and Raiders coming up. By week eleven with the Eagles, Steelers, and Cowboys on the horizon, there may be more than a bit of desperation and Foles could be slid in to see what he can do. 

I could see the Colts going 12-5 if Ryan is all they hope he is. I could also see them going 5-12 (maybe worse?) if he's playing poorly. The Texans (two games) and Giants are the only more or less "sure thing" wins on the schedule no matter how Ryan/Foles play. The rest of the games will need at least competent QB play to get a win. Beating the Chiefs, Broncos, Patriots, Raiders, Titans (twice), Eagles, and Chargers will require a higher level of performance from the QB. I just don't know if Ryan is capable of playing on that level anymore. We'll find out pretty soon though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

No more Fitzmagic: Ryan Fitzpatrick is retiring after playing 17 seasons. He could have a future career in broadcasting. 

Frank Gore is also retiring, though he made his intentions clear in April. He will sign a one day contract and retire as a 49er. That makes sense, as SF is where he started his career. 

Steeler fans aren't very happy, as Stephon Tuitt has announced his retirement.

I hope that all of them enjoy their new lives. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

I know there haven't been any actual games played, but preliminary reviews look like Washington drafted the perfect player, Jahan Dotson, who fits perfectly with the team's system....

Teammate RB McKissic said he is “very shocked” about how fast Dotson has picked up the offense. OC Scott Turner said that Carson Wentz and other quarterbacks like throwing the ball the rookie’s way. “He’s done a nice job. He came in and it looks like it’s not too big for him. He’s playing fast, he’s consistently getting separation and he’s catching the ball.” Turner called Dotson “a guy you can move around,he can fit into multiple spots on the offense." It looks like Dotson will have a significant role early in his first season and Washington will be hoping for more strong reviews of his work.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

No more Fitzmagic: Ryan Fitzpatrick is retiring after playing 17 seasons. He could have a future career in broadcasting. 

Frank Gore is also retiring, though he made his intentions clear in April. He will sign a one day contract and retire as a 49er. That makes sense, as SF is where he started his career. 

Steeler fans aren't very happy, as Stephon Tuitt has announced his retirement.

I hope that all of them enjoy their new lives. 

@teganslaw 

Fitz will be missed....he was certainly entertaining and made some exciting plays.....I read where he is being considered for a spot on the Thursday Night Football crew.....

Good luck to Fitz, Gore, and Tuitt

Honored Contributor

Sorry to hear of Marion Barber's passing. Some reports indicate he was having mental health issues which would imply suicide was possible. This is a tough time for former players with teams starting activities and them not being involved. 

Demarcus Lawrence says he wants the sack lead back on the Cowboys. Yeah, that's probably not going to happen. In the last three years, he's had 5, 6.5, and 3 sacks. To say he hasn't been dominant on the field is an understatement. Since getting his big contract, he's disappeared. With 2023 being the last year it'll cost the Cowboys less to cut him ($9 million dead cap hit) than keep him ($10 million cash and $16 million cap hit), I'd expect to see him play with more intensity in 2023, but I'm not expecting a lot out of him in 2022.

Word is the Eagles might be in talks with the Raiders about Clelin Ferrell. The Raiders failed to pick up his fifth-year option and his time with the Raiders appears to be up. If a trade happens it'll be a late-round pick. He was the Raiders' first-round pick in 2019 (fourth overall) and never lived up to his billing. Part of that is the system and part is injuries, but the kid has potential and is still just 25, so if the price is right, he'd be worth an add, just to see if he could blossom in Philly. In his three years with the Raiders, he's had a total of eight sacks and 79 tackles. Given his college performance, you would have expected much better numbers. We could see one of the rare player-for-player trades with Jalen Reagor going to the Raiders for Ferrell. Both guys would benefit from a change in scenery. It'll be something to watch for a bit. When those rumors start there's usually some substance to them.

There seem to be no injuries or at least none that are being reported in the OTAs/Minicamps so far. That's great news for teams who don't want to lose a starter, but bad news for the Niners and Browns who each have a QB they'd like to unload. 

The Niners managed to rework Alex Mack's contract before he retired to save them $4 million in cap space and then another few million from his retirement, so they were able to sign their draft picks without having to cut loose Jimmy G. They've now got $4+ million in reserve even. Quite a move in cap space since there were well under a million dollars before all of that. Mack's retirement may have been encouraged by the Niners' management to let them sign the kids. It could have been one of those, "Hey, how would you feel about retiring for a bit but staying in shape in case we need you?" kind of deals. We could see Mack back on the Niners after they figure out what to do with Jimmy G's cap hit.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

That's very sad about Marion Barber.....

Brent Musburger is out as the radio voice of the Raiders!

Ryan Fitzpatrick career and facial styles over the years---

FURo8FjXEAAjwUL.jpg

Honored Contributor

Yesterday was the first day the media was allowed to watch the Eagles practice and they're now convinced Jaen Hurts is a great QB because he completed his first seven passes. Next week there's another media day and if he throws an incompletion or two, they'll be demanding the Eagles trade for Baker Mayfield.

A guy I'm really loving is Jordan Davis. He is such a natural in front of the cameras and media. He's saying and doing all the right things. The kid is as bright as heck in addition to being the size of a small building. If the Philly media doesn't ruin the kid, he's a natural to move to the broadcast booth after his career is done. He's got this personal magnetism that's fun to watch. They may have to enlarge the broadcast booth to squeeze him into one, but the kid is a natural in front of the cameras.

Some guys have "it," and some guys don't. Jalen Hurts and Devonta Smith look like prisoners when they're dragged in front of the cameras. See them in the locker room kidding around and having fun and they're great guys. See them in front of the cameras and they're stiffs. Jordan Davis is just Jordan whether he's in front of the cameras or not. Now, that will likely change as the Philly media wears him down, but it's fun to watch him for now. He's just a big kid having fun.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

Yesterday was the first day the media was allowed to watch the Eagles practice and they're now convinced Jaen Hurts is a great QB because he completed his first seven passes. Next week there's another media day and if he throws an incompletion or two, they'll be demanding the Eagles trade for Baker Mayfield.

A guy I'm really loving is Jordan Davis. He is such a natural in front of the cameras and media. He's saying and doing all the right things. The kid is as bright as heck in addition to being the size of a small building. If the Philly media doesn't ruin the kid, he's a natural to move to the broadcast booth after his career is done. He's got this personal magnetism that's fun to watch. They may have to enlarge the broadcast booth to squeeze him into one, but the kid is a natural in front of the cameras.

Some guys have "it," and some guys don't. Jalen Hurts and Devonta Smith look like prisoners when they're dragged in front of the cameras. See them in the locker room kidding around and having fun and they're great guys. See them in front of the cameras and they're stiffs. Jordan Davis is just Jordan whether he's in front of the cameras or not. Now, that will likely change as the Philly media wears him down, but it's fun to watch him for now. He's just a big kid having fun.

@gardenman @teganslaw 

yep, it's funny how some of the athletes are "camera shy" and others are so "natural" and fun when talking to the media....Even our NBA Hall of Famer Tim Duncan was a bit shy and "Mr. Cliche" when talking basketball, but if a local guy got to talking to him about NFL football or cars which he loves, he was a whole nother person......

Well it looks like Deshaun's Watson's lawsuits has gone from 22 to 24......and his lawyer didnt make his client any friends with remarks he made in a recent interview talking about nothing illegal with massages and "happy endings" and he seemed to totally ignore what these women's complaints were all about.......Somewhere the Brown's owner and front office are looking for a time machine to undo what they've done to their franchise..