Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for June 2022!!!

It's June! The end of the offseason (such as it is) is winding down. Teams will be finishing up their OTAs and minicamps and preparing for the start of the training camps in July. The Browns and Niners will be praying a QB somewhere gets injured in the minicamps so they can unload Mayfield or Jimmy G and get something back.

Coaches, GMs, scouts, and front office personnel finally have a dead zone in their nonstop schedule. The bad news is this is also a hole in the schedule for the players and the more knuckle-headed players tend to get in trouble in that period from the end of the minicamps until the start of training camp. The league likes to drop the news on suspensions in that June/July window also, so seeing the league office on the caller ID is not typically a good thing for teams.

And the list of Deshaun Watson accusers is back up to 23 again. It had been 23, then one dropped out, but a new one has now jumped in to replace her. I'm thinking that six-game suspension everyone assumes might end up being a bit longer and maybe a lot longer. We'll have to see what happens. The dude has an "issue" for sure.

The Eagles officially have their first real OTA activity today. They're only having six practices before training camp to help minimize the risk of injury. It worked last year, so they're trying it again. Expect lots of breathless reporting from the media on how great (or horrible) some players look. 

It's going to be a busy month.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2022!!!

I would like to know what the Browns' organization is thinking. No matter what happens with Watson, they won't admit to making a mistake. They're going to be backed up in a corner with no way out unless some miracle occurs. Jacoby Brissett better get ready to start the season. 

The Colts are promoting Morocco Brown, though not sure what his new title will be. They're happy that he gets to stay in Indy for awhile. 

Every host on Total Access thinks that Trey Lance will carry the team, that it's only a matter of time before Jimmy G. is out. It seems to be the direction the 49ers are headed. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I can partially understand the Brown's decision-making. You have the chance to get a great young QB in the prime of his career. That just doesn't happen all that often. The accusations were salacious and icky, but he didn't kill anyone, and many "sex workers" were using Instagram to advertise their availability as "massage therapists" at the time Watson was using it. Did he stumble upon a few legitimate massage therapists who wanted no part of his shenanigans? Apparently. Bear in mind, we had a respected team owner in Robert Kraft get arrested at a "massage parlor," so what Watson was doing wasn't that far out of the norm for the NFL.

Would I have traded for Watson? No. The price was too high and the risks too great. He's clearly a bit of a knucklehead. You don't have to be a saint to be an NFL QB, but you don't really want a guy who's a jerk either. And the contract, yikes! 

Would I have considered taking a flier on him if he was a free agent and signable at a fair price? Eh, maybe. I just have a bad feeling that he's not going to change his ways. 

The Niners really don't have a choice with Jimmy G. They need the $25.55 million they'd gain from getting him off the roster. They can't pay their kids, extend Deebo Samuel, or take care of Nick Bosa until they get that money. Unless they can convince him to rework his contract in a big way and take way less money, they've got to flush him. Everyone knows it. I don't see anyone trading for him at this point, so they'll have to end up cutting him.

Baker Mayfield is in a much tougher spot. His cap hit and dead cap hit are the same, so the Browns gain nothing by cutting him. They have to trade him, but the only team actively in the market for him in the Panthers want the Browns to eat much of Baker's salary. The Browns have to decide if they want to pay Baker $16 million (or so) not to play for them. For the Browns, it's smarter to just keep Baker on the shelf and hope for the best.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Don't forget, "The Match" is on TNT tonight at 6:30 PM ET featuring four star QBs.  That should be fun.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Smurf cartoons have Papa Smurf and Washington has their own "papa"....Papa Norv, the father of OC Scott Turner.....Norval has been at practice every day right by Scott's side.....I dont know if that's good or bad....🤔

Rookie Jahan Dotson is busy catching passes and working on punt returns......

Landon Collins comes off the books today---creating a lots of cap space to sign Terry McLaurin---As Nike says---JUST DO IT!!!

The Committee investigating Washington's Hostile Workplace Culture wants answers to questions from both Goodell and Snyder that were raised back in February and April regarding Snyder's role in all of this---STAY TUNED!  

FULGSXIWUAAILWt.jpg

Also the team is moving forward regarding their plans for a new stadium ----and very curious is that the plans call for a 55,000 seat stadium---smallest in the NFL....I love this quote from the Virginia Mercury newspaper by team President Jason Wright---“We are much more likely to build the smallest venue in the NFL than the largest". The newspaper had this comment--A 55,000-seat stadium would be too small to host a Super Bowl and some of the other major events that NFL stadiums attract, but Washington sounds set on going in the opposite direction after once leading the league in attendance." 🙄 (From a financial standpoint for the team and the league as a whole---this should be the first point of contention for the NFL to force Dan Snyder to sell the team! --JMHO)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Don't forget, "The Match" is on TNT tonight at 6:30 PM ET featuring four star QBs.  That should be fun.

@gardenman 

Thanks for the reminder---that should indeed be fun to watch....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

There are advantages to smaller stadiums. We've seen this trend in baseball. If you build a smaller stadium, seats become more valuable. Less supply and more demand. Teams can charge more per ticket. PSLs can sell for more. The cost to build a smaller stadium could be significantly less. You can charge more for food/drinks. There are fewer parking/traffic problems as there are fewer cars. Costs are lower. You need fewer security guards, ticket takers, hosts/hostesses, etc. Insurance costs go down. Maintenance costs go down. It can be a big win to make a smaller, trendy, everyone wants a ticket, stadium.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

"The Match" was fun, the young guns caught up and held their own and gave them a challenge up to the last hole....

And I enjoyed the interviews that Ernie had with the QBs at the end of the show....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

There are advantages to smaller stadiums. We've seen this trend in baseball. If you build a smaller stadium, seats become more valuable. Less supply and more demand. Teams can charge more per ticket. PSLs can sell for more. The cost to build a smaller stadium could be significantly less. You can charge more for food/drinks. There are fewer parking/traffic problems as there are fewer cars. Costs are lower. You need fewer security guards, ticket takers, hosts/hostesses, etc. Insurance costs go down. Maintenance costs go down. It can be a big win to make a smaller, trendy, everyone wants a ticket, stadium.

@gardenman 

I understand what you are saying, smaller has its advantages but like the paper said, football season only lasts for a few months and too small a facility wont meet the standards for other events........so they lose out on that cash too while the small stadium remains dormant....Jerry's World rakes in the cash for all those other events the Cowboy's facility hosts.....

Our Alamodome incorporates some of the best of both worlds---it can be reconfigured from 35,000 which is large for NBA and College basketball's March Madness and Finals and then 65,000 for larger events, and then 92,000 for huge events....Its old, but it was renovated and improved not too long ago....its a decent facility....nothing fancy....Most people do Park & Ride and take the bus to the stadium instead of parking...

The more modern AT&T stadium that the Spurs play at has the fancy restaurants and amenitiies and sits 18,000 which is normal for the NBA....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah, a lot of the off-season uses for stadiums though are for things like concerts, and fifty-plus thousand seats are plenty for that. Soccer games seldom draw crowds that large in America. Even Etihad stadium in England where Manchester City plays soccer only holds 55,000+ people. If the World Cup ever comes to the US a 55,000-60,000-seat stadium could do nicely for the preliminary round games. You'd want a bigger stadium for the later games, but it would serve for the preliminary games.

The Commanders just spent $100 million on land in Virginia for their new stadium and an entertainment complex. It sounds like they have a plan in place and are executing it. Woodbridge, Virginia is just off of I-95 so that gives decent access to the stadium. They bought 200 acres of land. The apparent plots of undeveloped land that large in Woodbridge appear to be just adjacent to I-95. (Based on my looking at the Google Earth photos.)

The real money in stadium seating these days is luxury boxes and PSLs. Sell enough of those and you're golden. I strongly suspect the Commanders have handshake deals in place with officials in Virginia or they wouldn't have bought the land. We should hear more in the coming weeks/months.

Washington's average attendance in 2021 was 52,751. (Only the Lions had fewer fans.) Their average ticket price was $110.07. Their ticket revenue was around $5.8 million last year. Teams don't make a lot of money from ticket sales. The TV money is where they get rich. That and luxury boxes and PSLs. If the ticket price stays at $110 and they built a 100,000-seat stadium they'd be looking at $11 million in ticket revenue, if they could sell every ticket. Is it worth the potential $5.2 million a year with all of the extra costs to build a larger stadium when you're only drawing 52 thousand people now? Eh, that's kind of a hard sell. The cost difference between a 60,000-seat stadium and a 100,000-seat stadium is fairly large, and the return could be fairly small.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!