Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2021!!!

Julio Jones is now a Titan. The price is "at least a second round pick." Presumably the second round pick is a conditional one that could become a first if Julio reaches certain milestones.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Falcons get the Titans second-round pick in 2022, and their fourth-round pick in 2023. The Titans get Julio and the Falcons sixth-round pick in 2023. Not overly pricey.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I thought that Julio Jones would be worth a first draft pick. He still is one of the best receivers in the game, so it didn't seem that Atlanta got much out of the deal. 

Combine Jones with A.J. Brown and Derrick Henry and the Titans' offense got a major upgrade. Not good for the rest of the AFC South. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw   @gardenman 

I think the price wasnt that high because of questions regarding Julio's durability due to his injury history....

Dec 9, 2020NFLThigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2Jones aggravated his hamstring injury after coming out of a Week 13 game against the Saint. He closed out the 2020 season with four straight missed games
Nov 22, 2020NFLThigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2Jones was examined for a hamstring injury during the Week 11 loss to the Saints. He missed the next game
Oct 5, 2020NFLThigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2Jones aggravated his hamstring injury in Monday's loss to the Packers. He was inactive for Week 5 game against the Panthers.
Sep 20, 2020NFLThigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2Jones strained his left hamstring in the team's Week 2 loss to the Cowboys. He missed one game
Nov 24, 2019NFLShoulder A/C Joint SprainJones suffered a shoulder injury in the second quarter and left the game vs. Tampa Bay. He missed only one game
Jun 10, 2019NFLPedal FootJones was dealing with a foot injury toward the end of last season, although he didn’t miss a game. He didn't play in preseason games. He managed to play in Week 1 against Minnesota.
Dec 18, 2017NFLHand Thumb SprainJones had the thumb taped up but didn't miss any time.
Dec 17, 2017NFLPedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1Jones suffered the injury early in Week 15 but played through it.
Nov 5, 2017NFLPedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1Jones played through an ankle ailment. He played all 16 games in 2017.
Oct 1, 2017NFLInguinal Hip StrainJones returned from a hip flexor after Atlanta's Week 5 bye.
Mar 6, 2017NFLPedal FootJones had surgery to remove a bunion from his right foot. He was medically cleared for the start of training camp but eased back in and sat out the 1st 2 preseason games.
Jan 14, 2017NFLPedal Toe SprainJones aggravated a toe sprain on his right foot. He played through it the following week and in the Super Bowl but had surgery to remove a bunion in March.
Dec 4, 2016NFLPedal Toe SprainJones sprained the big toe on his right foot and missed 2 games.
Sep 18, 2016NFLLeg Calf StrainJones missed no time following a Week 2 calf strain.
Sep 11, 2016NFLPedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1Jones aggravated his left ankle sprain but played through the issue.
Aug 25, 2016NFLPedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1Jones sprained his left ankle in the 3rd preseason game but missed no time.
Oct 11, 2015NFLThigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1Jones came off the field for a few plays because of a hamstring injury but returned for the next possession.
Dec 8, 2014NFLInguinal Hip StrainJones suffered a hip injury in Week 14 and missed the next game.
Sep 18, 2014NFLPedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1Jones tweaked an ankle late in Week 2. It lingered but cost him no games.
Oct 7, 2013NFLPedal Foot FractureJones fractured his right foot in Week 5 against the Jets and didn't play another game until the 2nd week of the 2014 preseason.
Aug 5, 2013NFLThigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1Jones dealt with tightness in both hamstrings and sat out the 1st preseason game.
Nov 18, 2012NFLPedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1Jones hobbled off in the 4th quarter after re-injuring his right ankle but missed no further time.
Nov 11, 2012NFLPedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1In Week 10, Jones sprained his right ankle against the Saints but played through the injury.
Nov 13, 2011NFLThigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1After tweaking his right hamstring in Thursday practice, Jones re-injured it in the 2nd quarter of Week 10. He missed the following game.
Oct 9, 2011NFLThigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1Jones strained his left hamstring in Week 5 and missed the following 2 games. He returned after the Week 8 bye.
Feb 1, 2011Non-NFLPedal Toe FractureJones broke a bone in his right foot after his final college season. He worked through it at the NFL Scouting Combine and had surgery afterward.
Sep 12, 2009Non-NFLKnee Strain Grade 1Jones suffered a September knee injury that lingered throughout the 2009 season but cost him just 1 game.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

In addition to the injuries, he's also 32 years old and receivers tend not to age gracefully. Atlanta put up very little fight to keep him, so they must think he's on the decline.

It's good for the Eagles as we open the season against Atlanta and no Julio makes life easier for us.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

It'll be interesting to see how Julio fits with the Titans. Falcons players aren't talking about quitting or committing suicide because the team lost Julio. They seem pretty content that he's gone. When a team loses a Julio Jones and his former teammates are cool with it, that tells you something about how the guy was a fit with his former team.

Adam Rank has a nice piece up on the Cowboys where he talks about them in-depth. He ends up pretty optimistic, but he does mention they were just 1-3 with Dak last year. That's kind of important to remember. And those first four games weren't necessarily against the league's elite teams. They started out at the Rams. Then had the Falcons at home in the game they won by the Falcons forgetting to recover an onsides kick. Then they went to Seattle. (The toughest game in their early schedule.) Then back home for the Browns. They won one of those four games with a relatively healthy team, and that one win was a miracle win.

Both of Dallas's coordinators are signed through 2023 which could be bad news for McCarthy. The Cowboys have two head coaches in waiting in Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn. Should the Cowboys stumble out of the gate, McCarthy could be gone fairly quickly.

And looking at their 2021 schedule, a stumble out of the gate isn't unlikely. They start out with the Bucs, then the Chargers, and Eagles. Then the Panthers, Giants, and Patriots before their bye. Those first six games are kind of important for McCarthy. An 0-6 or a 1-5 start could find him out of a job at the bye. A 2-4 or even a 3-3 start might have JJ reevaluating his head coach choice. The Eagles and Giants games will be especially big. Losing both of those would have the Cowboys 0-2 in the division and JJ would not be happy. 

I would expect the Cowboys to be underdogs in the first two games. They'll probably be favored against the Eagles. NFC East games are seldom predictable though. They should be favored against the Panthers unless Sam Darnold really is good. The Giants always give Dallas fits. The Patriots should be pretty good if they have any kind of quality QB play. A 2-4 start is not unlikely for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys shored up their linebacker spot on defense, but that was already their strength. Stopping the run in those early games will be a big challenge for them. The Eagles and Giants will be throwing running QBs at them in addition to competent running backs. 

It'll be very interesting to see if Mike McCarthy makes it all the way through the season. Expectations are high from the fans and media and I'm not sure those expectations are warranted. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't realize that Julio Jones had so many injuries in his career. 

I checked the Titans' message boards, and the fans are thrilled with the signing. They claim that Tennessee is the favorite to win the division. I don't know what analysts think, though. 

The Colts' forum is mixed reactions. Some are worried, some think that Julio is past his prime and won't make that much of a difference. I think that he is an upgrade to the Titans, and that other teams will have to plan defenses accordingly. Even if Julio is declining, he can still be a threat.

Darius Leonard tweeted that he was up to the challenge and congratulated Julio. I guess that Leonard isn't worried much. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I don't think Julio Jones is a difference-maker for the Titans. They're still a run-first team. He'll take snaps away from younger wide receivers. He'll be in a new offense with a new QB. There will be an adjustment period for him. Wide receivers tend to be a bit of a diva and you aren't hearing the Falcons bemoaning his loss. He's likely to get dinged early and often and miss some practice time and games. I don't really consider him a "clutch" receiver. Twice he had a chance to knock the Eagles out of the playoffs with a well-thrown ball in the corner of the endzone and each time he failed to come down with the catch. 

He's a lot like AJ Green. Guys who exploded into the league and were amazing, but then started to fade. I don't really worry about facing him as much as many of the kid receivers. He's past his prime. You know his game, his moves, his capabilities. He's not going to suddenly get better. He's a "name" player, but he shouldn't scare you too much.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

@gardenman  I agree with you, Matt Ryan was the only one that posted a farewell message and thanked Julio, but  there were no other "sorry to see you go, enjoyed playing with you, good luck" type comments from other Falcons when the trade was made....I dont think he was much of a "team player" and more of a looking out for #1 (himself and the money) type player.....Unlike Kerrigan who got some nice farewell messages from his defensive teammates despite going to a rival team....

Back in 2018 Julio was hanging out with Terrell Owens and working out with him and that alone would give one cause to pause, supposedly the Falcons werent happy with Julio fraternizing with T.O. 😄 and coincidentally thats when he had his first contract dispute with the Falcons, (one reporter said, at least Julio didnt resort to sit ups in the drive way)....The Falcons ended up giving him 2.4 mill more and promised an extension in 2019, they ended up giving him 64 mill guaranteed and a 25 mill signing bonus and another 11 mill roster bonus.....and what happened more injuries.....

He's just not worth it....JMHO @teganslaw  I think age and injuries will be a concern and the Colt's defense can handle him...Darius Leonard is right!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Yeh, McCarthy will be on a short leash in Dallas with two wanna be head coaches in waiting despite Jerry's thinking, that last year's defense problem can easily be fixed with some different coaching from Quinn is a fantasy....he will soon get a reality check....

What blows my mind is that Julio was even on the Cowboys radar when they have holes in their defense....🤔Well it could be have been for publicity, afterall, Jerry likes to keep his name and his team in the news..🙄  Or perhaps Jerry thinks an explosive offense can make up for a poor defense but that's not going to work.....even in the NFC Least!!! ..Both the WFT and the Eagles have strong defenses that will make it rough for Dak ...he couldnt do it last year before he got hurt....and there are other good defenses on their schedule too....he's not thinking realistically about the Cowboy's D.....`I just love having Jerry Jones as owner and GM of the Cowboys...😃