Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2021!!!

@Spurt 

that old BALTIMORE COLTS logo brings back a lot of good memories!

those are all fun to look at! i like that buccaneers one especially!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Some interesting jersey sales numbers have been released. The top-selling jersey right now is Tim Tebow's. He takes first (teal jersey) and second (black jersey.) Bears' fans are supporting Justin Fields with the next three top-selling jerseys (blue, orange, and white.) Tom Brady (white jersey)  is in at six. Najee Harris at seven. Justin Herbert at eight. Patrick Mahomes at nine. Aaron Rodgers at ten (may climb to one if traded to the Broncos and their rabid fan base.) Then the Eagles sneak in Devonta Smith at eleven. Tom Brady (red jersey) is at twelve. Then Jalen Hurts at thirteen. 

If you just count the players and not the different color jerseys the Eagles would be at eight and nine in terms of most popular jerseys. It's not based on the fanbase either as there are no GIants, Jets, or Cowboys on the list. All three teams have sizable fanbases. It seems like quite a few fans are optimistic about the Hurts/Smith connection this year and are investing in jerseys.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I heard that Tim Tebow's jersey was #1, but didn't know about the others. It looks like Bears fans are all in on Justin Fields. It will be interesting to see how that works out.

I know of some people who became Bronco fans only because of Peyton Manning. Not sure what happened to them when Manning retired. Maybe the same thing would happen if Rodgers signs there. I don't follow Denver much so I'm not sure how devoted the fan base really is. 

I have mixed feelings: Beegee, the youngster on the falcon cam, is growing up and will soon leave the nest. Happy to see her go off on her own, but I will miss observing her every day. OK, I admit I'm strange that way.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

We had a pair of red-tailed hawks nesting in a tree two houses down from us for about ten years. Suffice to say they aren't the most proficient flyers when they leave the nest. They tend to be more of a semi-controlled crasher than a flyer. You'd hear a loud thump on the roof like someone threw a five-pound bag of potatoes on it and look up to find a baby hawk sprawled out on the roof. They broke off multiple antenna elements on our TV antenna. One landed upside down in a neighbor's tree and just hung there upside down, like a bat, for hours. You'd often find one just walking around your yard after a crash landing. They're very tough birds, and it's a good thing, as they do not fly well in the beginning. 

If they were to strap a camera to Beegee as he left the nest, it would be quite entertaining to watch his early attempts at flight. Young hawks/falcons are not nearly as good at flying as their parents are. However, they are very good at crashing into things. Our hawks would often have three or four babies, so it was like it was raining hawks when they'd leave the nest. You'd find them all over the place. Eventually, they got good at flying, but for a few days, it was a bit nerve-wracking as they were anything but good at flying.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

I heard that Tim Tebow's jersey was #1, but didn't know about the others. It looks like Bears fans are all in on Justin Fields. It will be interesting to see how that works out.

I know of some people who became Bronco fans only because of Peyton Manning. Not sure what happened to them when Manning retired. Maybe the same thing would happen if Rodgers signs there. I don't follow Denver much so I'm not sure how devoted the fan base really is. 

I have mixed feelings: Beegee, the youngster on the falcon cam, is growing up and will soon leave the nest. Happy to see her go off on her own, but I will miss observing her every day. OK, I admit I'm strange that way.

@teganslaw 

Some NFL fans just follow players irrespective of the team they are on.....they followed Peyton but probably weren't even loyal to the Broncos....I can see it if you are a die hard fan of a college team and follow a certain player's career and continue to follow your favorite.....With some players being more mobile and less loyal to a team and they now move around more in the NFL its impacted the NFL fan base too...

Aww little Beegee is growing up and will be on her own.  Its fun to observe the critters on these live cams...

When our zoo's lion gave birth there was a live cam to watch the baby lions as they grew SO CUTE!!! and so much fun!!!  The Spur's Tony Parker loves animals and was on the Zoo's Board Of Directors, he got to go in the den with the young cubs .....they had put the mom and dad in their outside enclosure of course while he was in there and Tony said when he heard the male lion roar, his heart skipped a beat...but he was safe and got to play with the cubs and name them....Tony's son loves animals too and whenever he's asked what he wants to do, the boy says..."go to the zoo"!!! I think hes going to be a zookeeper or a veterinarian.... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@teganslaw 

We had a pair of red-tailed hawks nesting in a tree two houses down from us for about ten years. Suffice to say they aren't the most proficient flyers when they leave the nest. They tend to be more of a semi-controlled crasher than a flyer. You'd hear a loud thump on the roof like someone threw a five-pound bag of potatoes on it and look up to find a baby hawk sprawled out on the roof. They broke off multiple antenna elements on our TV antenna. One landed upside down in a neighbor's tree and just hung there upside down, like a bat, for hours. You'd often find one just walking around your yard after a crash landing. They're very tough birds, and it's a good thing, as they do not fly well in the beginning. 

If they were to strap a camera to Beegee as he left the nest, it would be quite entertaining to watch his early attempts at flight. Young hawks/falcons are not nearly as good at flying as their parents are. However, they are very good at crashing into things. Our hawks would often have three or four babies, so it was like it was raining hawks when they'd leave the nest. You'd find them all over the place. Eventually, they got good at flying, but for a few days, it was a bit nerve-wracking as they were anything but good at flying.

@gardenman 

Thats a neat story about your neighborhood hawks...funny that they acted like a bat.....

Yep, those hawks do crash into things.....one of them crashed into the windows at my sister's workplace luckily it was on the first floor, the poor bird was still alive, but knocked out cold. She called a Bird Refuge and the bird remained unconscious so her and co-worker put the bird in a box and she drove to the Refuge and dropped it off....It was neat because when the bird was fully recovered they called her and asked if she wanted to be present when they released the hawk back into the wild....what a neat experience for her....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

Some interesting jersey sales numbers have been released. The top-selling jersey right now is Tim Tebow's. He takes first (teal jersey) and second (black jersey.) Bears' fans are supporting Justin Fields with the next three top-selling jerseys (blue, orange, and white.) Tom Brady (white jersey)  is in at six. Najee Harris at seven. Justin Herbert at eight. Patrick Mahomes at nine. Aaron Rodgers at ten (may climb to one if traded to the Broncos and their rabid fan base.) Then the Eagles sneak in Devonta Smith at eleven. Tom Brady (red jersey) is at twelve. Then Jalen Hurts at thirteen. 

If you just count the players and not the different color jerseys the Eagles would be at eight and nine in terms of most popular jerseys. It's not based on the fanbase either as there are no GIants, Jets, or Cowboys on the list. All three teams have sizable fanbases. It seems like quite a few fans are optimistic about the Hurts/Smith connection this year and are investing in jerseys.

@gardenman 

Never under estimate the Eagle fan base....they may be very vocal and critical and boo or throw snowballs, but y'all are indeed VERY LOYAL to your team...plus it hasnt been that long since your last Super Bowl....

According to my sister, the NY Giant fan, the problem with the Giants is they dont have a player favorite....Barkley was hurt and didnt play all last year, and the fans are not sold on Daniel Dimes, and no one on defense really appeals to their fan base either....I can understand Giant's player jerseys being down in sales...

Im really SHOCKED about the Cowboys though....It seems that all the Boyz fans would be back rooting for Dak and buying his jersey....I think the "glitter and glamour" has worn off on Zeke since he performed so poorly last year....but you'd think one of their WR's would have some appeal .....kinda funny, shows their fickle fan base....

When my team gets a real name and mascot I expect sales to soar with so many players that have become fan favorites.....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah, you'd think Dak or CeeDee Lamb would be up there pretty high, but no. "America's Team" didn't even have anyone in the top fifteen. 

The WFT will need to get their QB situation squared away to get lots of jersey sales. QBs sell jerseys. Fitz is a one-and-done kind of QB in DC. I don't see him leading the team next year.. They say they have a plan for QB going forward, but it would be interesting to know what that plan is. There will be a lot of free agent QBs in 2022, but none of them look all that impressive. Mariota might be the best of the lot. And there's likely to be quite a bit of competition to get him. I think the WFT will be drafting around 20th again (give or take five spots) and the top-tier guys will be gone by then. QB is their Achilles heel right now. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Yeah, you'd think Dak or CeeDee Lamb would be up there pretty high, but no. "America's Team" didn't even have anyone in the top fifteen. 

The WFT will need to get their QB situation squared away to get lots of jersey sales. QBs sell jerseys. Fitz is a one-and-done kind of QB in DC. I don't see him leading the team next year.. They say they have a plan for QB going forward, but it would be interesting to know what that plan is. There will be a lot of free agent QBs in 2022, but none of them look all that impressive. Mariota might be the best of the lot. And there's likely to be quite a bit of competition to get him. I think the WFT will be drafting around 20th again (give or take five spots) and the top-tier guys will be gone by then. QB is their Achilles heel right now. 

@gardenman 

Well I think the plan is if they see someone in the draft they like, they have set themselves up to offer a good deal to trade up to get their man.....Rumor is they could offer Payne or some other players plus draft picks to get the deal to go through....

Honored Contributor

The largely anticipated flushing of contracts on June first didn't happen this year. That's interesting. Are teams satisfied with where they are cap-wise? Are the old vets who were at risk no longer at risk? Is everyone waiting for something big to happen? Is there going to be a domino effect where once a single domino falls everything else moves? What's that lead domino? Deshaun Watson? Aaron Rodgers? Someone else? Did the league's GMs just have a crazy Memorial Day weekend and are still recovering?

I've got to think the Texans will want the Deshaun Watson situation straightened out in some manner before training camp starts. Whatever team gets him will want him in their facility as soon as possible. I suspect someone already has their "best offer" on the table and is waiting for the Texans to act. We'll have to see what happens going forward. It's very quiet right now. Almost too quiet.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!